Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The story is such fucking bullshit it introduces quite a bit of supposedly important elements and mentions a lot of stuff that you believe will be fleshed out and then there's no resolution whatsoever.

Do they seriously create this with a franchise in mind or am I supposed to watch the anime or something?

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah like when they introduce you to the instant censoring of dead people's faces (because monsters eat their brains :p) like it's a big deal with a fully fleshed out scene with thought out camera angles and long dialogues just to explain it and that's used once in a character's bonding side story...

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Just got chapter 6 of Yuito. I really enjoyed this game for the gameplay but the story keeps wildly swinging with its plot points. I seriously can't believe how quickly they're brushing over key elements while trying to build a grand conspiracy narrative. I'm starting to lose motivation to do another run after this. Does another playthrough add a lot more to the story and more importantly, does it properly conclude the story?

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Still working my way through this, losing a bit of steam. I'm on Chapter 7 for Yuito so it sounds like I got around halfway to go, still.

I'm enjoying the gameplay, but like others said, the story is all over the place. The "breaks" in between the narrative to do the social link stuff with party members is so jarring. Don't think I'll follow through with a second playthrough with Kasane, I may just Youtube that stuff. Trying to wrap this before Tales!

Oct 27, 2017
Episode 09's Musubi code: Lokusho

C48gXlJ.jpg

previous codes:
Episode 01: Such a liar
Episode 02: tell the truth
Episode 03: 5150
Episode 04: 2009
Episode 05: NEVER FORGET
Episode 06: Which?
Episode 07: hero
Episode 08: October 4th

Last edited:

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
In the intermission between phase 8 and phase 9 for Yuito and I'm just at the point where I want to see how much more they want to weave into this story.

Combat has been fun but is ruined a lot by encounter design, story has some severe whiplash with the characters but this is definitely the sort of b-tier jrpg title I want to see a lot more of (and missed during the last two gens). Dunno if I'll have the energy to do a play through of Kasane's route, even if her route sounds like it would have a lot less whiplash.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Alright, finished up, took me 20 hours to get to the end of Yuito's route.

Pretty lumpy but some really solid bones to work with, in for a sequel if they ever make one (they absolutely should), they just need to bring a few people in to tighten a lot of facets up. It really could shine with a bit more polish.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah like when they introduce you to the instant censoring of dead people's faces (because monsters eat their brains :p) like it's a big deal with a fully fleshed out scene with thought out camera angles and long dialogues just to explain it and that's used once in a character's bonding side story...

That's nothing compared to a lot of the crap that's introduced late in the game and then not fully explored. Like they expected this game to spawn a franchise or something

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Oh hey, DLC announcement.

store.steampowered.com

SCARLET NEXUS - Steam News Hub

Updates, events, and news from the developers of SCARLET NEXUS.

Cool to see. Interested in the gameplay refinements, but honestly the paid content doesn't sound super appealing. An extended epilogue or post game story with some new environments bosses and whatnot I would be more down for.

I guess depending on how extensive the bond content is I could be down. I do like the characters quite a bit and enjoyed their interactions...but of course it still has the same problem of what's the point if you've finished the game already.

Oct 27, 2017
Well that's not dlc for people who already finished the game twice.

Costumes are ok I guess.
IEb3EcX.jpg

I don't know how they'll handle weapons tho, the free pack of weapons they give on bandai namco store is obsolete quite fast as they aren't upgradable: https://club.bandainamcoent.eu/eu/en/product/670222/scarlet-nexus-epc-weapons-bundle-pc-download-dlc
Will they sell weapons better than the golden ones you get by doing post story missions? (and break the game by letting you use them from the start)

As for new bond content, it's only VN stuff, right? I'm good.

0 gameplay DLC, dunno if it"s better or worst than Code Vein.

Daimon

Chief Editor at ZWAME
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

OSF members, enhance your psionic experience with this FREE update for SCARLET NEXUS!

Featuring:
– Larger Font Size
– Camera Distance
– Aim Assist + Lock on
– & more.

BabyShams

Nov 7, 2017
I didn't know there were more codes from the anime. I'll do those in the Kasane playthrough I guess. Does it open up a special quest or boss fight?

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
If I had enough if Tales of Arise after 15 hours, should I even bother trying this?

GetDigitized

Oct 25, 2017
If I had enough if Tales of Arise after 15 hours, should I even bother trying this?

Nah, it suffers from similar issues in terms of gameplay being the same thing through most of the game. The story is also predictable/doesn't do anything new that other games/anime haven't done before. The issue I had with Tales of Arise was there being too much padding, whether it was cutscenes (which I've never had a problem with in other games, TOA just has long cutscenes without anything of note happening in them) whereas this just has a basic story with what I assume the writers thought was a revolutionary twists based on how they were portrayed, but are really not that great. Scarlet nexus also splits the story between two characters with only small differences so you don't get the whole thing unless you play through the game twice. The only thing better about Scarlet Nexus is its shorter and the combat system is different.

I haven't finished Tales of Arise either btw, I'm at the point after defeating the 5 lords and the focus is shifting to the other world, which is basic Tales of format, so nothing revolutionary there imo.

Last edited:

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Curious to see those challenges. I wanted the base game to have something like that.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I love this game more than expected! The "town" background song in particular is really catchy, and I'm warming up to the characters despite the tropes.

I might pick this up again on PS5 after completing it on GP.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Playing this game through Gamepass and I'm really digging it. Combat is decent and enjoyable enough. I found the story pretty interesting so far, but it just went stupid in a heartbeat. Maybe I'm just missing something, or it's explained in the second playthrough. But can someone do a quick summary of what the hell just happened (no spoilers please).

I'm playing as Yuito and I just passed the bit where
the infighting within the OSF starts and Nagi turns evil. It's just a crazy cluster fuck with Gemma is about to attack you but then Commander Karen shows up and you fight him instead. Nagi turns evil (which is later somewhat explained with the mind control rumors), you fight with Kasane and some whacking shit happens (which no doubt will be properly explained later) and after you fight some OSF and at that point you are buddies again with Gemma. I just had no idea what was happening. Nothing about it was explained properly or just elaborated on at all.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Started playing this over the weekend now that its on Game Pass and I noticed that Quick Resume works well for once in this but the ingame timer keeps rolling when you use it and are not playing so I am at 23 hours already :P

Started with Kasane...she is quite grumpy like her feet so far lol...maybe I will switch to the guy.

Last edited:

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
I m playing scarlet, and scarlet is more what i wanted from tales of arise.
Really, tales of even after all of this praise, i didn't found it that good, but scarlet is more the anime type of game.
If you like astral chain, anime in general, you can try it.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
Who should I pick for my playthrough? I hate decisions right off the bat without having any idea what to do

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Who should I pick for my playthrough? I hate decisions right off the bat without having any idea what to do

Yuito is more conventional fighting style but his story is more question than answer.

Kasane is a bit harder to get a grasp of gameplay wise but her story is more coherent and gives you more answers. She's also the more interesting of the two characters.

If you're gonna play both, play yuito. If you think you'll only play one, play Kasane.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
Is there like a way to replay old chapters/phases to do missed stuff?

Also, jeeeez the squad battles are just ... terrible in this game. Messy doesn't even begin to describe having to deal with multiple guys warping in or throwing items at you from outside of the camera viewport. Doesn't help the camera has issues keeping up during those fights either.

Generally I think they built a nice system with fun mechanics but it all comes a bit apart during these squad battles.

Last edited:

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
Just beat Yuito's Story. I had a blast with the game, the combat is so fluid and energizing like a Platinum game.

• The characters are all so likeable, and their story events were good enough explaining the reason behind their personality. Yuito himself is a bit too naïve and goody two shoes for my taste but I never really disliked him.

• The story.. was....all over the place.
    Time travel stories are mostly always a mess,
    and unfortunately Scarlet Nexus story is also a bit of a mess. I was especialy bothered by some cases of tragic events seemingly being forgotten until brought up again like 5 chapters later, but I've seen worse stories I guess, at least this one got a bit amusing.

• The bosses were all pretty damn fun to fight too, I never had any problems with the squad battles, though they are indeed harder to keep track of what's happening. But the
    Nagi's fights were pure adrenaline
    . The game got a bit too easy near the end, but I take that over damage sponge galore some other games like to do.

• Also I don't know why someone here said the females are oversexualized? None of them are, the fuck? It's one of the few anime games where the females are actually well designed.

Now to play Kanade's side of the story. I feel like I'm going to miss Yuitos party's powers though, they felt for the most part, much better. I preferred teleport over hypervelocity. Invisibility is useless compared to Sclerokinesis. Pyrokinesis is slightly better than electro- kinesis. Duplicate is awesome for DPS though, but clairvoyance knocks down bosses.

In the end the games a solid 8/10 for me, The gameplay did the heavy lifting, but aesthetics and characters helped a lot as well. I do hope there's a sequel, that as others said condenses the story and becomes more focused.

If you like astral chain, anime in general, you can try it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I couldn't take Astral Chain out of my head while I played this game, they feel very similar. AC had a better story, but it's characters were far more forgettable and some of the designs...ugh

Last edited:

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished Yuito's campaign. This game is absolutely incredible. Out of nowhere for me, I simply didn't expect it to be this good.

I have some questions about New Game + that I'll stick in spoiler tags just in case.

It seems you can only use the CLEAR data that is very specifically gained at the end of the game with the green icon for NG+.

However, if you load up the Yuito save there's more things to do including getting "ultimate" weapons for each character. But then, the game says you can't use that updated save data for NG+.

So, if I get the weapons, can I do the end boss again and get another clear data?

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
Any advice for spending the brain points? I have not spent any, and I am level 7. Is there enough for everything? Or is there a Respec (does it matter?)

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Just finished both campaigns and all I have to say is... Hanabi better get on it before those anti-aging drugs start wearing off... ya know?

Started with Kasane and happy I did it that way. Pretty sure I'd be equally happy if I did it the other way. Despite it being largely the same story, there's enough differences that it does flesh out some of the weirdness between the two. But one playthrough (either one) seems plenty good as is. Is this story silly and crazy and all over the place? Yes. But, I enjoyed it all the way through. Some bits in the middle kinda dragged a bit (and it'd have been nice to level up bonds a BIT faster with no grinding), but overall, for a story of this convoluted genre, I think they did a pretty good job.

[Also.. damn.. I put in over 70 hours into this.. Very close to getting all the achievements, too. Glad I played on easy honestly XD. The fun for me was less in just winning fights and more in trying to keep my SAS meters up for as long as possible with brain crush chains.]

Now to play Kanade's side of the story. I feel like I'm going to miss Yuitos party's powers though, they felt for the most part, much better. I preferred teleport over hypervelocity. Invisibility is useless compared to Sclerokinesis. Pyrokinesis is slightly better than electro- kinesis. Duplicate is awesome for DPS though, but clairvoyance knocks down bosses.
It's funny, I felt the opposite way playing. I think it's just what order you start with, though. You get a lot more time with those powers in the whole range of how to use them best. In fact, on my second playthrough, I used Yuito platoon's powers more even when I didn't have to. Which is probably really more to say that I figured out WHEN to use them better. Duplication will never (Edit: NOT) be a go to, in either party haha. It's fantastic But, hypervelocity is super useful in different situations than teleport (I loved TP for quick kills when I needed to get to others that would hide. Hypervelocity is amazing when you just need to beat down a chinery with tons of damage. etc. etc).

Ultimately, when I got comfortable mixing and matching, I was going in and out of SAS powers (4 at a time) constantly, managing meters, adjusting for enemies, etc. etc. Lots of fun.

Last edited:

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
It's funny, I felt the opposite way playing. I think it's just what order you start with, though. You get a lot more time with those powers in the whole range of how to use them best. In fact, on my second playthrough, I used Yuito platoon's powers more even when I didn't have to. Which is probably really more to say that I figured out WHEN to use them better. Duplication will never be a go to, in either party haha. But, hypervelocity is super useful in different situations than teleport (I loved TP for quick kills when I needed to get to others that would hide. Hypervelocity is amazing when you just need to beat down a chinery with tons of damage. etc. etc).

Ultimately, when I got comfortable mixing and matching, I was going in and out of SAS powers (4 at a time) constantly, managing meters, adjusting for enemies, etc. etc. Lots of fun.

Yeah, Im at phase 8 of Kasane's route now, and I can see now that Kasane platoons abilities are indeed very offensive oriented compared to Yuito Platoons mostly defensive abilities that meld well with his close combat oriented playstyle.

I think what I like more about teleport is that it's just faster reaching any far away enemies and it lasts much longer. Also there's just something badass about teleporting out of a huge AOE attack. But yeah Hypervelocity is better for wracking up damage.

I agree the game REALLY opens up that combat sandbox when you get all the abilities.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Any advice for spending the brain points? I have not spent any, and I am level 7. Is there enough for everything? Or is there a Respec (does it matter?)
There isn't enough for EVERYTHING unless you do some serious grinding (I am doing it now, and I was pretty completionist through two runs over 70 hours.. so...). But there is plenty to have a great time with the combat. You probably haven't even seen the whole brain map, so don't worry. Spend on what you think is good. A lot of people say to get auto-heal, but I never bothered (on easy, of course). Talking to the save guy heals you, so if it were a real problem, I could usually find him to get a heal between combat (I DID spring for the BD heal though). In general, focus on things that give you mobility, especially as Yuito. And consider speccing toward multiple SAS powers simultaneously early. But really, just get all the cheap ones, then choose the ones that sound good to you later.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
complete.png

Finally completed Kasane's story

The story is still messy but her story does round out a lot of things that were lacking in Yuito's story. A lot of interesting events like
Going to the future and seeing where they took Naomi
She definitely grows into more complex and less naive character than Yuito, but
for the first 6 chapters she was pretty insufferable with the constant edginess and one track mind of "Naomi, Naomi Naomi"

Overall I enjoyed Yuito's run more mostly because from the gameplay perspective it was more fun, and I'm not talking about how they both play (Her AOE mid range focus was loads of fun) but more that Yuito gets more and much better bosses to fight and also get's access to the best dungeon in the game.

8/10 final score

Last edited:

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Are there later areas with more leveled up versions of enemies to complete some of these side quests? It wants me to brain crush specific enemies but I kill their HP way before I can stun them for a brain crush.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
complete.png

Finally completed Kasane's story

The story is still messy but her story does round out a lot of things that were lacking in Yuito's story. A lot of interesting events like
Going to the future and seeing where they took Naomi
She definitely grows into more complex and less naive character than Yuito, but
for the first 6 chapters she was pretty insufferable with the constant edginess and one track mind of "Naomi, Naomi Naomi"

Overall I enjoyed Yuito's run more mostly because from the gameplay perspective it was more fun, and I'm not talking about how they both play (Her AOE mid range focus was loads of fun) but more that Yuito gets more and much better bosses to fight and also get's access to the best dungeon in the game.

8/10 final score
Woo. I finally 1000g the game yesterday too. That last bit of grinding from 70 to 80 was annoying, but not too bad with the end game strat. Personally, I preferred Kasane's side of the story. I think you get more context about the overall texture of the story, plus she kinda feels more like the central character that everything else revolves around. Plus, I think her bond stories are overall slightly better, even with some of the people in Yuito's platoon. I didn't notice the disparity in bosses but you may be right. I preferred her layout of most maps, but that's probably just because I played it first.

But yes, overall, I liked them both and I did my final grinding with Yuito.

Are there later areas with more leveled up versions of enemies to complete some of these side quests? It wants me to brain crush specific enemies but I kill their HP way before I can stun them for a brain crush.
well, at the very end, yes kinda. But, the better solution is to use your mod slots and equip enhance or specialize crush [which also slightly reduces attack damage]. And if it STILL isn't working, then use the early-mid game mod that halves your attack damage. It doesn't help you in any way, but it means that you're going to basically be killing everything with crush. The other thing you might try is that doing follow up attacks tends to do the most crush damage (hitting them, then pschokinesis).

But.. yea.. those side quests are not the best part of the game XD.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Woo. I finally 1000g the game yesterday too. That last bit of grinding from 70 to 80 was annoying, but not too bad with the end game strat. Personally, I preferred Kasane's side of the story. I think you get more context about the overall texture of the story, plus she kinda feels more like the central character that everything else revolves around. Plus, I think her bond stories are overall slightly better, even with some of the people in Yuito's platoon. I didn't notice the disparity in bosses but you may be right. I preferred her layout of most maps, but that's probably just because I played it first.

But yes, overall, I liked them both and I did my final grinding with Yuito.

well, at the very end, yes kinda. But, the better solution is to use your mod slots and equip enhance or specialize crush [which also slightly reduces attack damage]. And if it STILL isn't working, then use the early-mid game mod that halves your attack damage. It doesn't help you in any way, but it means that you're going to basically be killing everything with crush. The other thing you might try is that doing follow up attacks tends to do the most crush damage (hitting them, then pschokinesis).

But.. yea.. those side quests are not the best part of the game XD.

I know I should just skip them but the dumb completionist part of my brain isn't letting me not do them.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
I didn't notice the disparity in bosses
In my opinion they wasted too many slots

making us fight Kodama twice and then one more time with her twin, these random crazy women we know absolutely nothing about and we have no emotional investment with. Meanwhile Yuito gets to fight sweet girl Naomi suddenly turned into an other and our best friend Nagi gone mad, twice with like one of the best themes in the game

In terms of bond episodes quality I say

Kasane gets better episodes with Kyoka, Shiden, Kagero, Hanabi
Yuito gets better episodes with Tsumugi, Luka, Arashi,
Gemma's bond episodes are fantastic with both

Last edited: