onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Give me the dump. I'd even settle for a middle ground of 2-4 episode "block" releases. But weekly sucks.

Oct 25, 2017
Weekly releases are better for the show. Not necessarily the viewer, but conversations around binge dropped shows are always just sort of annoying. You've got to work to avoid spoilers and are never on the same page with people, and it ends up making everything feel shorter lived because the people that are most excited about it watch it in an afternoon and then are done talking about it by the time everyone else is done.

limi

Banned
Jul 3, 2020
I don't like watching shows week by week. I just wait until the season or preferably the series is over and just binge it.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Weekly will always be better, for many reasons but even just something simple like cliffhangers, completely invalidated.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Very much on team weekly drop. I finish way more shows that are weekly drops. I know I can parse out the binge shows and watch them whenever I want, but there's this weird overwhelming feeling I get when a show drops at once. People start asking me if I've watched it yet, and I feel pressured, and then by the time a week goes by I feel like I either know everything about the show or everyone has moved on to the next thing. Weekly drops are more manageable, and allow for more fun discussion. I really wish Fallout was a weekly drop

Oct 27, 2017
Ehhh, I waited until all of Frieren was out before I started watching because I hate being arbitrarily forced to wait out 20+ weeks to see something in its entirety. I don't discuss shows with anyone, and I've found that when I have watched things that release weekly it can actually lessen my enjoyment of something.

I didn't vibe with Chainsaw Man at all, and all I saw online was excessive hype about how good it was which I just didn't feel. I was watching along weekly and just getting increasingly disappointed with the show and then being forced to wait a whole week to see another cliffhanger resolve in a way that didn't click.

I've obviously liked shows releasing weekly before, back when there was no other choice, but I think as I've gotten older and there's no technological barrier in the way of an entire season of a show dropping at once I don't see the reason to not do it.

If you only want to consume an episode a week and join in a specific community's per-episode discussion of it, you can still do that. The onus is now just on you to make that call.
Wholeheartedly agreed, not everything needs be weekly.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
I will say though that I was spoiled on this show within a couple hours of it releasing, so there's that.

Wonky Mump

Oct 30, 2017
It is a mystery. So there would have been some speculation between the viewers.

It did tho. Of course you can binge it and enjoy it. All shows can be binged. But this show was structured in a way that would have benefitted from a week of conversation and speculation between episodes.
The audience of folks who are into Scott Pilgrim would watch no matter what so for them the conversation/speculation thing is fair, but for the casual audience that Netflix tends to want to cater for the weekly model wouldn't do much and I feel they'd be less likely to continue with it if they dipped their toes in with episodes 1 or 2 dropping at first then waiting for other episodes to drop weekly after.

As for the topic of binge drop at once vs weekly releases, my opinion is as SanTheSly said, "If you only want to consume an episode a week and join in a specific community's per-episode discussion of it, you can still do that. The onus is now just on you to make that call." Similar for anyone who cites spoilers, the onus is on them to avoid things when they know something is releasing.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
personally, agree. I have a dislike for binging. I don't think I've binged a show since maybe cobra kai season 2? and I think we were sick at the time.

how can you possibly digest a show when you binge it?
it just becomes 'how does it end' and there's no space to be contemplative about the show or think through anything, there's no impact, no lasting power, no discussion, discourse, internal monologue, all the cool parts of making a story meaningful (to me anyway).

FWIW, my wife disagrees, she likes to binge the more trashy side of stuff, and it used to be a struggle, but now we've agreed to just watch 1 tv show together a night, so that's 1 hour, and we spend it on one show at a time, and honestly, it's been great. i can't imagine watching something like 3 body problem in 2 days, the show wouldn't work for me, no impact, no thinking, just ... stuff happening.

harleyvwarren

Oct 31, 2022
Illinois
For the cream of the crop, a weekly schedule is better, because I value the conversation of a great show. The conversation in OTs are easier to follow if we're all on the same schedule.

Like The Bear is a great show, but the conversation is messy and those threads suffer because of the dump.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Ehhh, I waited until all of Frieren was out before I started watching because I hate being arbitrarily forced to wait out 20+ weeks to see something in its entirety. I don't discuss shows with anyone, and I've found that when I have watched things that release weekly it can actually lessen my enjoyment of something.

I didn't vibe with Chainsaw Man at all, and all I saw online was excessive hype about how good it was which I just didn't feel. I was watching along weekly and just getting increasingly disappointed with the show and then being forced to wait a whole week to see another cliffhanger resolve in a way that didn't click.

I've obviously liked shows releasing weekly before, back when there was no other choice, but I think as I've gotten older and there's no technological barrier in the way of an entire season of a show dropping at once I don't see the reason to not do it.

If you only want to consume an episode a week and join in a specific community's per-episode discussion of it, you can still do that. The onus is now just on you to make that call.

With anime series they usually start airing before the later episodes are finished.

In order to dump all the episodes at once, they'd have to delay the airing. That's bad for the people who like weekly releases and doesn't really benefit the people who like to binge.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
I personally like the Weekly dump... but I say leave it to the creators.
They are the ones who craft the show, know the highs and lows, and how it should be viewed.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing that makes weekly watches superior is that we have SO MUCH content that everything needs to exist for longer than a week or two to find traction. Everything else is just people's personal tastes.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
lionel-hutz-world-without-lawyers.gif

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Id be overjoyed. I could've binged all of X-Men 97 instead of just the 5 eps

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
i binge and i cant go back, either release em all at one or im waiting a few months.

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
Weekly is where it's at. If I want to binge, then I can hold off and wait until all the episodes have dropped.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Weekly is best of both worlds.People who want to binge just have to wait a few weeks.

With some shows I want to be part of the weekly discussion and catch the memes etc. and sometimes I just want to binge a show over a weekend. Weekly releases let me do both.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind watching weekly but I can't help but feel weekly releases are just to try and make more people sub longer.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
All shows should drop at once. Maybe it's not a correct business model, but I think that the way streaming companies rate "engagement" and value is the real problem.

Macam

Nov 8, 2018
Binging is the better model from a consumer standpoint, weekly is better from a content creator/owner standpoint.

I don't watch weekly and never will. It's just a way to get more dollars paying for a service you may not care for (hello, Amazon, Max, Disney) and you lose context between episodes. You can certainly "breathe" with binging, as no one's forcing you to watch the entire series in one sitting. I watch maybe one episode a day, depending on the day and can process things just fine. I don't read books all in one sitting either and that "binging" model works fine.

I don't need to discuss the episodes with my coworkers or friends because we live in a near infinite media world where most people are watching different things anyway.

Dumping X-Men 97 all at once would be great and spare me the expense of paying for Disney+, a service with sparse new content. Scott Pilgrim didn't suffer from the model; it just serves a niche audience and came twenty years later after the prime of the series' (it was okay, not great).

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
It did tho. Of course you can binge it and enjoy it. All shows can be binged. But this show was structured in a way that would have benefitted from a week of conversation and speculation between episodes.
What's stopping people from watching it week to week even though it's dropped all in one day? Give people choices. You want to watch all of them in one day? Great. You want to space them out? Great do it.

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
After JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 6 dropped all at once and ALL discussion of it was dead by about seven days later, I knew this release format was fucking poison.

KezayJS1

Apr 25, 2021
I think I get it, but man it really depends because there are shows that I enjoy more because I can power through them in one or two sittings versus those where having some breathing room works. I guarantee, if X-Men 97 dropped all at once, even without knowing what the rest of the season holds, the conversation around the last episode wouldn't be as heightened. For a show like that, it makes sense to want a weekly drop - hindsight being 20/20 and all that.

Conversely, I probably wouldn't have enjoyed Parasyte The Grey nearly as much if it was a weekly drop. I polished it off in a weekend and enjoyed it quite a bit since I could do so at my pace.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
What's stopping people from watching it week to week even though it's dropped all in one day? Give people choices. You want to watch all of them in one day? Great. You want to space them out? Great do it.
Of course you can, but if it's all released at once it kills a lot of the disucssion and excitement that is there when a show is released week to week.

If that's not important to you that's great. But there is something lost there.

Nov 27, 2020
I don't mind watching weekly but I can't help but feel weekly releases are just to try and make more people sub longer.
Television series as a format was built around weekly schedules and seasons and was that way for 65 years before Netflix came along with their binge model. Series are still structured that way. Otherwise, why have individual episodes of similar lengths? Hell…some shows even still have "commercial breaks" even though there aren't commercials, simply because the format works better with built in breaks in the action.

An argument could be made that binge watching and full season drops should lead to a rethinking of how shows are written and formatted, but overall, most shows work better with weekly or limited episode drops.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I did get a little annoyed when the entire first season of Fallout dropped all at once.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
The audience of folks who are into Scott Pilgrim would watch no matter what so for them the conversation/speculation thing is fair, but for the casual audience that Netflix tends to want to cater for the weekly model wouldn't do much and I feel they'd be less likely to continue with it if they dipped their toes in with episodes 1 or 2 dropping at first then waiting for other episodes to drop weekly after.

The opposite is true, actually. With the Netflix model very few casuals are checking in to begin with. Which is exactly why the creator of the show is upset. When a good show airs weekly, the word of mouth gets to build for two months, drawing new people in the entire time.

Treythalomew

Oct 27, 2017
Watching Fallout and I think about this every single episode. You can't build organic buzz by dumping hours and hours of television at once. Instead of people posting and the ole "making content" about an episode weekly, it is people that watched an unholy amount of television in a matter of a few days saying "sure, i guess". I looked at the Fallout thread on day two and it was a true wasteland of spoilered messages from every episode on a single page. Just makes no sense to do it that way to me for the health of the show or the companies involved making them.

This summer when House of the Dragon S2 is airing weekly for 2 months it will be in constant conversation. No matter how amazing the entirety of this first season of Fallout could be, it won't be still buzzing in 2 months. People that want to watch 8 hours straight of tv will get the opportunity when everything has been released but you can never create that week to week buzz around your show.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Unless streaming companies stop canceling everything after one or two seasons of under 10 episodes each to avoid giving raises. I don't think this debate matters.

Bring back 10 season, 20 episode runs already.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
It's true. Dumping it all at once is super dumb.

I hated binging OPLA in one day, but I had to fucking lock myself into my room for 6 hours and do it to avoid spoilers and discuss it with people.

One episode per week has worked just fine for 60 years and it works fine now. I'm loving X-Men 97 and Shogun at one per week.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
You know what's worse than just a full dump of a season?
When the show is getting streamed weekly somewhere but you can't watch it because Netflix doesn't to and will just drop the whole thing like a bad habit with no fanfare and you're left with a show that can only be binged but you will never know when or if you get the next part because fuck you.

Yeah, still salty over Jojo P6.
If for some reason you wanna watch the 7Deadly sins, good luck shit is getting on Netflix when they feel like it and you'll get what you get with no promo or anything.

It's the dumbest shit ever.

And sometimes you never get the next part at all, wanna watch Attack on Titan on Netflix US?
You'll watch S1 and that's it, fuck you and get Crunchyroll if you want the rest.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
After JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 6 dropped all at once and ALL discussion of it was dead by about seven days later, I knew this release format was fucking poison.

It was worse than that. They released three giant dumps where each dump was effectively a year apart from one another. Poor Stone Ocean, it deserved better.

The Quentulated Mox

Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 10, 2022
On the one hand, having to sit on the Scott Is Dead twist for an entire week would be a fantastic hype generator. Everything's changed, what's gonna happen next??

On the other hand, the show we got was absolutely incapable of paying off that level of hype. Uhhh what happens next is all the bad guys go to therapy and future scott responds to mean tweets

Nov 27, 2020
You know what's worse than just a full dump of a season?
When the show is getting streamed weekly somewhere but you can't watch it because Netflix doesn't to and will just drop the whole thing like a bad habit with no fanfare and you're left with a show that can only be binged but you will never know when or if you get the next part because fuck you.

Yeah, still salty over Jojo P6.
If for some reason you wanna watch the 7Deadly sins, good luck shit is getting on Netflix when they feel like it and you'll get what you get with no promo or anything.

It's the dumbest shit ever.

And sometimes you never get the next part at all, wanna watch Attack on Titan on Netflix US?
You'll watch S1 and that's it, fuck you and get Crunchyroll if you want the rest.
Yeah…that's going to be Star Trek Prodigy too. It's already aired in France, and Netflix is just going to dump it all and it will have like a weekend of spotlight.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Eh with the banquet of good streaming TV shows, some are honestly not worth it on a weekly release. Others I'll just wait till it's all out and binge it, not interested in weekly releases.

Wonky Mump

Oct 30, 2017
The opposite is true, actually. With the Netflix model very few casuals are checking in to begin with. Which is exactly why the creator of the show is upset. When a good show airs weekly, the word of mouth gets to build for two months, drawing new people in the entire time.
That's fine for a show like Game of Thrones or The Last of Us for example, but Scott Pilgrim is small and extremely niche compared to those so I don't believe the same effect would apply.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Unless streaming companies stop canceling everything after one or two seasons of under 10 episodes each to avoid giving raises. I don't think this debate matters.

Bring back 10 season, 20 episode runs already.

What people don't want to hear is that shows were subsidized by ads and people hate ads.