Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
whoa....why am i just learning Wario and Lugi was in the game?

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see a port/remaster of the DS version on the Switch.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
To this day the decision to not make run default is baffling. Game would have been somewhat playable without the thumbstrap then. And the thumbstrap method itself, while it was very accurate was annoying to use in practise.

You knew, you just forgot because you're 120 years old

NekoCat

May 6, 2022
New York
Accurate title. So many cool upgrades, but so unpleasant to play.

I remember it being the only time I tried using that strap-on thumb-pad that came with the DS, because no control scheme felt right. Bizarre that they released this on a system with no analog stick.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Original working title of the DS version was Super 64x4, presumably pronounced "Sixty-four-by-four".

Really neat version of the game that is significantly better than the original… except for the lack of analogue control. Really hope it doesn't continue to be trapped to dead consoles.

(Though TBH, it's pretty fine on a 3DS circle pad).

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
To this day the decision to not make run default is baffling. Game would have been somewhat playable without the thumbstrap then. And the thumbstrap method itself, while it was very accurate was annoying to use in practise.

You knew, you just forgot because you're 120 years old
First is there any game where running being default would hurt it? Second I just turned 25

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
I haven't watched this particular video yet but I wish it was pushed back more that a "definitive edition" is just the one that has more stuff - most of the additions that Mario 64 DS made hurt the game. None of the new levels or stars are interesting and the way abilities are split up between characters sucks and hurts the pacing of the game. Even if the controls were good I think it would be a worse experience than the 64 game.

Gambling with Luigi made this a killer DS launch title tho

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Mario 64 is one of the best controlling games ever made. And this version made it control like absolute shit. A travesty.

It would be nice if they freed this version from its DS prison with some decent controls.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I haven't watched this particular video yet but I wish it was pushed back more that a "definitive edition" is just the one that has more stuff - most of the additions that Mario 64 DS made hurt the game. None of the new levels or stars are interesting and the way abilities are split up between characters sucks and hurts the pacing of the game. Even if the controls were good I think it would be a worse experience than the 64 game.

The forest with king Goomba was solid

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017

Most of the original mario 64 is still there, but I get to play as yoshi which IMO outweighs some of the hurdles the game added to justify multiple characters. If there were proper controls then you would have a version that has some issues but are easily tolerated if you have a favorite character.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Playing that game on a 3DS with modded analog control really make the game shine!
I always wanted to try it that way. Since I have a modded 3DS now, I'll have to give it a try. Never did beat it.

I remember scratching my OG DS to hell and back using that thumb strap. Had to send it into Nintendo. Didn't play it again after that.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
They didn't make a comic adaptation of the game. Also, who is Lugi?
Old nintendo power comics were lit
Nintendo-Comic-Book-Covers-Split-Image.jpg

Paper Wario

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I'll admit, Mario 64 DS was my first time experiencing the game (and I owned an N64 when it was the most recent console from Nintendo at the time lol) so it holds a very special place in my heart despite it being very clearly the inferior version.

Very wild to realize that the games were only 8 years apart. That feels weird.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH

I remember Nitro Rad made a video a few years back on the game too. And he said that playing Super Mario 64 DS is like eating a really good sandwich with extra mustard on top of it. It's still a really good sandwich and mustard is tasty, but it's not necessary.

View: https://youtu.be/YM7A8aIrVBI?si=VjWbj1Wjxg0ETTfy

Tab

Nov 23, 2017
The controls issue is funny to me because this is the version of the game that I grew up with, so it's the N64 version that's weird to me. I legitimately couldn't play it when 3D All Stars came out.
I haven't watched the video, but how does it fair on the 3DS? Does he go into that?
The 3DS doesn't somehow update the game to have actual analog controls, so the controls are still fundamentally the same. You may find using the circle pad more comfortable and natural feeling though. The flip side of that however is that you might be thrown off by it if you use it expecting it be full 360.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, on top of any control issues, it's on the DS' screen. Very hard to call anything definitive at that low resolution. Legit hard to look at these days after becoming accustomed to portable OLED screens on phones and the Switch.

I adored this game back in 2004, though. The mini games included with it were an absolute blast and a killer app for me on my very first touch screen device.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
I love this version and found it just fine to play so long as I can reset the camera. So much to do in it! And the mini games are still 👌

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I'd agree with this, I suppose I might be a bit of a purist. I recall being a bit bummed out by one of the more memorable moments of the original, finding the metal cap switch in Hazy Maze Cave, not being a thing in this version.

The mirror room was pretty cool though.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't aware anybody considered this the definitive version. The game is a poster child for "they were so preoccupied with whether they could, they didn't ask whether they should." The controls are bad, the new content is bad, the changes to the old content are bad. It's Mario 64 but worse.

Neutron

Jun 2, 2022
I'll never understand people who say it has better graphics than the original.

The characters have more polys and I guess the textures are technically higher resolution, but it just doesn't look as good. It looks grimy and washed-out compared to the vibrant and smooth original.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Did scott ever address platforming a rapist? Havent watched him since then.

Mr.Adele

The Fallen
Mar 9, 2018
They should've remade the remake on 3DS with better graphics and using the analog stick but no new content. Super Mario 64 3DS. Missed opportunity!

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Québec
I always wanted to try it that way. Since I have a modded 3DS now, I'll have to give it a try. Never did beat it.

I remember scratching my OG DS to hell and back using that thumb strap. Had to send it into Nintendo. Didn't play it again after that.

I think it's worth it! On my DS Lite, I was simply not able to play with the d-pad, and did not wanted to scratch my screen. On 3DS, with the circle pad, it was already better even if it was simply emulating a d-pad, but now with the latest patch available, full analog controls make the game really changes everything.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
The 3DS doesn't somehow update the game to have actual analog controls, so the controls are still fundamentally the same. You may find using the circle pad more comfortable and natural feeling though. The flip side of that however is that you might be thrown off by it if you use it expecting it be full 360.

Yeah I honestly thought it would just automatically adapt to it haha

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Québec

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
PSA: Scott the Woz featured alleged rapist RelaxAlax in one of his videos despite being warned about him by Bobdunga (one of his victims), who Scott unfollowed after said warning. While Scott did eventually remove the cameo after community backlash, he apparently gave Bobdunga a half-assed apology & never acknowledged the situation since. More information on the matter can be found in the thread I made on the topic…
www.resetera.com

Scott the Woz invites known abuser & rapist RelaxAlax to cameo in his "Borderlines Forever" video despite being warned about him prior

A while back, it came to light that RelaxAlax abused & raped his ex-girlfriend Bobdunga, as well as emotionally abusing others. Check the threads below for more information on those allegations...
Just something to keep in mind. At least for me, I avoided Scott's content like the plague after this happened (just as I did for Alax before him).

EDIT: Turns out, he did acknowledge the situation. But it took a video talking about Alax to bring it out. The half-assed apology still remains, though.

Last edited:

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
PSA: Scott the Woz featured alleged rapist RelaxAlax in one of his videos despite being warned about him by Bobdunga (one of his victims), who Scott unfollowed after said warning. While Scott did eventually remove the cameo after community backlash, he apparently gave Bobdunga a half-assed apology & never acknowledged the situation since.

Just something to keep in mind.

Thanks this is what I was asking about.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
Did scott ever address platforming a rapist? Havent watched him since then.

A Youtuber reached out last year and he addressed it

youtu.be

The Forgotten Allegations Against RelaxAlax

In 2019, popular Nintendo YouTuber Relax Alax (Alex Carducci) was accused of many things by his ex-partner, Ray Mona (formerly Bobdunga). This video contains...

edit: Also I just want to clarify that I don't vouch for anything in this video other than the factual part where the person that made it reached out to Scott and got a response, if I remember right the video comes off pretty pro Alax (Scott's statement does not), I watched it some time last year but barely remember anything in it

Oct 25, 2017
I've never understood the appeal of these opinion pieces - written, video or otherwise - that appear to be exercises in self-flagellation.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish this was ported to Switch.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Hot take here, but I genuinely didn't mind the D-pad controls. The addition of a run button made it perfectly playable to me.

I think literally the only thing that was a little hard for me to pull off is running in a tight circle around those eyeball enemies, but even that I could do with a tiny bit of practice.

My only complaints with the game is that none of the new levels are as big and fleshed out as the original levels (but I'm still glad they're there), and the fact that Mario is the only character who's fast in the game. Playing Mario 64 with characters that are even slightly slower than Mario just feels weird. But thankfully you only NEED the other characters for a handful of stars, so 90% of the time I can still play as Mario.

If you want a 3D platformer with truly horrendous D-pad controls, play Rayman 2 on the DS. No run button from what I remember, and there was a slightly lag after pressing a direction, so it felt like ABSOLUTE shit.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
PSA: Scott the Woz featured alleged rapist RelaxAlax in one of his videos despite being warned about him by Bobdunga (one of his victims), who Scott unfollowed after said warning. While Scott did eventually remove the cameo after community backlash, he apparently gave Bobdunga a half-assed apology & never acknowledged the situation since. More information on the matter can be found in the thread I made on the topic…
www.resetera.com

Scott the Woz invites known abuser & rapist RelaxAlax to cameo in his "Borderlines Forever" video despite being warned about him prior

A while back, it came to light that RelaxAlax abused & raped his ex-girlfriend Bobdunga, as well as emotionally abusing others. Check the threads below for more information on those allegations...
Just something to keep in mind. At least for me, I avoided Scott's content like the plague after this happened (just as I did for Alax before him).
Thanks for highlighting this, I almost watched the video but I'll pass now. I swear all these tubers are rotten. SIGH.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Hot take here, but I genuinely didn't mind the D-pad controls. The addition of a run button made it perfectly playable to me.

I think literally the only thing that was a little hard for me to pull off is running in a tight circle around those eyeball enemies, but even that I could do with a tiny bit of practice.
agreed

imo it was more than fine as a trade off for handheld mario 64. I have mario 64 in my hands!!!

modsbox

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a romhack that turns the n64 version of the original into this one? Just an n64 rom with all the new content that controls like the original?

I've never played the new content and have an everdrive 64, seems like that would be the right way to try this.