Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
www.nbcnews.com

Supreme Court to decide Trump’s immunity claim in election interference case

Even if the justices ultimately rule against Trump, the court’s intervention adds a further delay, meaning his trial will not start for weeks, if not months.
The Supreme Court on Wednesday agreed to decide whether former President Donald Trump can claim presidential immunity over criminal election interference charges, adding a new hurdle to a trial taking place.

The court in a brief order said it would hear arguments and issue a ruling on the immunity claim. In the meantime, the case is on hold, meaning no trial can take place.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is insane. They're just going to roll over and rule in favor of him. Why are they allowed to do this?

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I fully expect them to rule he's got full immunity, and to be narrow enough in their ruling that it only applies to republican presidents.

Last edited:

Sky Chief

Oct 30, 2017
There should be mass protests in the streets tomorrow but there won't be because this country is too far gone

Aug 15, 2022
I fully expect them to rule he's got full immunity, and to specify that it only applies to republican presidents.

good news is biden can just fucking shoot trump in the stomach with a 12 gauge if the potus is immune from crimes committed during office. at this point in this hypothetical scotus might not even care about trump/biden in particular and want the anarchy since republicans are generally much more violent than democrats and independents when it comes to politics.

Last edited:

yami4ct

Oct 25, 2017
Even if you think SCOTUS isn't trying to flat out delay here, and I think that's a legitimate question, this was always going to trial. There's zero way they were gonna let such a major question of law go without a full ruling from the top.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
most of the conservative ghouls on the court have some instinct of self-preservation and understand the rammies of a president having blanket immunity, and, perhaps more importantly for them, understand it would reduce the power of their positions, and girlies in power do not like to cede their power.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
The Supreme Court wants to have the final word on Presidential Immunity, that is not surprising to me in the slightest.

No, they are not going to rule that Trump can do whatever he wants. Don't be a fucking weirdo.

Thalanil

Fallen Guardian
Aug 24, 2023
Jesus, that's crazy, they put it in on hold too with a stay too(they could have heard it without stay). Fully expect them to slow walk it to delay the trial post election.

DC district court decision against immunity was unanimous and pretty watertight too, the decision to hear it seems against the norms.

turtle553

Oct 25, 2017
The only way this makes sense is if they rule he's ineligible in the Colorado case and trial schedule is less important. But I'm not holding my breath.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Almost certainly not, but the point isn't to grant Trump immunity, it's to delay the DC case by several more months to potentially prevent a conviction from landing before the election

They can easily prevent it from happening before the election if they want to. They can always reorder arguments.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine that they'd rule him immune, if only because of the precedent it would set. That sounds more like stalling by a political body that should have no legitimacy.

Aug 15, 2022
Doomers validated right now, until proven otherwise.

I legit want to eat crow, please.

? not at all. trump is still likely to lose the election at this point in time. in fact anyone hoping this scotus was not going to not hear this case is ridiculous imo.

trump likely needs to lose wholly and legally again, without the courts (granting him special treatment and such or otherwise). probably the best for history's sake too but nonstop bullshit and suffering from him while we deal with it in real time.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
realistically this will just clarify if Presidents have immunity for personal purposes, because they absolutely already do for anything deemed vaguely in the interests of the American state

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus, that's crazy, they put it in on hold too with a stay too(they could have heard it without stay). Fully expect them to slow walk it to delay the trial post election.

DC district court decision against immunity was unanimous and pretty watertight too, the decision to hear it seems against the norms.
What's especially galling is Jack Smith appealed for SCOTUS to rule on this *last year*, they kicked it over to DC instead, that court ruled, then Trump appealed to SCOTUS again and this time they sat on it for weeks more. They are dragging this shit out for as long as they can.

The only way this makes sense is if they rule he's ineligible in the Colorado case and trial schedule is less important. But I'm not holding my breath.
They will likely split the baby and rule in his favor in Colorado but against him here.

Dec 30, 2020
If they rule that he has presidential immunity, I want Barack Obama to suddenly descend with a sword on him Sephiroth style, and just whisper in his ear, "it goes both ways..."

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care what anyone says it is clear as day they are just dragging it out for as long as possible probably hoping to push any conviction past when it might matter for the election. Though that is based on the assumption that they are not actually going to rule that presidents are untouchable kings as long as whatever they did was while in office.

Last edited:

Seik

Jan 5, 2023
Québec City
? not at all. trump is still likely to lose the election at this point in time. in fact anyone hoping this scotus was not going to not hear this case is ridiculous imo.

trump likely needs to lose wholly and legally again, without the courts (granting him special treatment and such or otherwise). probably the best for history's sake too but nonstop bullshit and suffering from him while we deal with it in real time.
I hope you're right and wish that you're right with every single fibers of my being.

Excuse my crippling cynicism.

Aug 15, 2022
I hope you're right and wish that you're right.

Excuse my crippling cynicism.

hey no worries, and anything can change as inspiring or scary as that is. no one has a crystal ball. please don't hesitate to dm folks here if the doom gloom gets too heavy!

Speaking of wishful thinking.

It's still early, but Trump has a better than 50% shot as things stand today.

the "two things can happen therefore both are 50% likely" thing isn't true

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
The ruling will occur at the end of the court's term in June and it will be 9-0 or 8-1 against Trump, but it will have successfully delayed the start of the trial.

The court's term doesn't end in June and they've released opinions in July before.

But if the goal is to simply delay, they would just order new arguments after June/July.

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017
This is less about the ruling and more about helping Trump by delaying the start of trials for several months.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
As other have said, it's just delay tactics. Also the Supreme Court just wants to look big and tough making the final say.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
"When the president does it, that means that it is not illegal."

- Richard Nixon
- Donald Trump
- Brett Kavanaugh, probably

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they will actually rule for him, why this sucks is it delays the trial as others have mentioned. They are entertaining his blatant stall tactics