• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Inspired by this weird little horror movie that popped up on Amazon for me:

Not a great movie but got me jonesing to play an old school horror point and click: like seventh guest, the eleventh hour, shivers, phantasmagoria, etc.

Recommend me some titles please!

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
You might like At Dead of Night. It's the newest game I can think of that definitely inspired by older horror titles like the ones you mentioned.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Until Dawn
It's obviously 'modern' but so so good. Has an old school vibe to it IMO.

Secret Bambino

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 21, 2021
There's this 2006 game called Scratches that may be what you want. Civvie 11 made a video about it:

There's also The Cat Lady (2012). Here's a SBFP playthrough of the game:

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played this one, but recently learned it exists: The 13th Doll started as a 7th Guest fan project but ultimately was given license to sell the game, and is kind of neat if for no other reason than they got the guy who plays Stauf to reprise his role a quarter century later. Reviews seem pretty middle-of-the-road which... feels kind of true to form for how the original game would likely be received today.

OP
OP
carlsojo

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
You might like At Dead of Night. It's the newest game I can think of that definitely inspired by older horror titles like the ones you mentioned.

I haven't played this one, but recently learned it exists: The 13th Doll started as a 7th Guest fan project but ultimately was given license to sell the game, and is kind of neat if for no other reason than they got the guy who plays Stauf to reprise his role a quarter century later. Reviews seem pretty middle-of-the-road which... feels kind of true to form for how the original game would likely be received today.

Downloading now!

Until Dawn
It's obviously 'modern' but so so good. Has an old school vibe to it IMO.

Played it, loved it. House of Ashes was dope too.

Zanaffar

Oct 27, 2017
Well if you ever liked the amnesia series I would recommend penumbra overture and penumbra black plague.

Though you might need a guide for the morse code puzzle.

In the point and click department i could also recommend the Dark Fall series.

Last edited: