Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
https://screenrant.com/overwatch-diversity-sigma-bare-feet-problem/

Sigma's introduction signals just how far opinions of the game's handling of representation have fallen from that first impression. The new hero was revealed in a trailer that showed him in a mental health facility, evidently in the throes of a psychotic episode. It was worrying, as characters with mental health issues have often been treated poorly in media, either used as the butt of jokes or, as in Sigma's case, portrayed as villainous, and things only got worse once Blizzard unveiled his final in-game design. Sigma is shown without shoes, which, aside from just grossing some players out, led to one person asking the character's artist about the decision.

Sigma represents not only a failure to represent mental health properly, but a missed opportunity to add more of Overwatch's touted diversity to the game. Adding another white man to the roster seems to betray its claims of diversity, especially when, with 31 heroes, Overwatch still has more anthropomorphic hamsters in its cast than it has black women.

Whilst I don't really agree with the parts about Sigma and Blizzard's portrayal of Mental Health I do 100% wonder why the hell we have yet to see a single black woman on that roster. The community has been very vocal about wanting a black woman to become a playable and well-rounded character since Day-1 and we continue to hear claims of "we listen to the community" and "we respect diversity" and all this crap. Since launch we've now seen 9 characters added to the game, 3 of which have been white women. Why?

The other thing that the article addresses is mental health representation and I've been seeing this same thing voiced by a large number of people over the last few days. Of course the more discussion about mental health and its treatment in media the better, quite honestly. This can only lead to better representation in general the more we talk about it in all its forms, but I can't say I agree so much with this facet of the argument personally.

Hopefully it goes without saying that I believe all mental health representation should be treated with utmost care and respect, but I can't help but feel that this Sigma issue is being blown a little out of proportion. I dare say that a lot of people who are arguing that Blizzard's use of mental health as a cop-out to explain his villainy are subconsciously making that stereotypical assumption themselves without really taking the time to understand what it is that they're trying to critique. I'd be interested in hearing some more thoughts about that especially from people who know a fair amount of Overwatch's lore as Sigma isn't a villain because of his mental state and it's disingenuous to link the two, at least in my eyes. I don't think that there's an issue with the design or the reasoning at all as it is based on the real life practice of minimising harm that can be caused by patients to themselves, and the villainy argument is based entirely on his association with an evil organisation against his will. Please let me know if I'm wrong?

Overall there are a lot of issues that I have with Overwatch, especially when approaching its stance on racial and cultural diversity, but I don't think that comparing it to a mental health strawman (and being very vocal about it) treats that issue with the respect it should deserve this late into the game's life.

Last edited:

Linkeds2

Nov 15, 2017
North Bay, CA
I think overwatch just affirms a lot of stereotypes that also happen to be true

Not speaking specifically to sigma's representation. Just the character list in general

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Symmetra should be mentioned when talking about mental illness in Overwatch.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
when, with 31 heroes, Overwatch still has more anthropomorphic hamsters in its cast than it has black women.
This isn't true

Edit: I just searched and turns out Symmetra is indian and Sombra mexican. Welp :p

Last edited:

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
I understand that negative portrayals of mental illness are damaging, and I empathize with people who are upset with Sigma. It is...less than good that portrayals of patients strapped to beds and behaving violently are still being propagated.

That being said, I think Sigma is an interesting look at trauma-based dissociation. He seems to have moments of in-game lucidity, realizing that he's committing evil acts before snapping back into a villanous mindset. Recognizing the limits of narrative exploration in games, especially with a non-story based shooter, I think there are far worse portrayals of mentally ill people. Violence is rare in these people (statistically, they're more likely to be victims of violence), but it does happen. Additionally, Sigma is supposedly being exploited by a terrorist group without full awareness of what's happening.

4 of which have been white women. Why?
Moira, Brigitte, Ashe, ...?

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I only count 3 white women added to the game since launch but it's crazy that there still isn't one black woman. The game still has great diversity though.

Symmetra should be mentioned when talking about mental illness in Overwatch.
Autism isn't an illness.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
The guys at the Your Overwatch youtube channel summed up my thoughts on this pretty well. It's the journalist the one making the connection of mental health = villanous. The story of Sigma is pretty clear in that he is really a victim and not a villain, and is being manipulated by Talon.

Complaining about the character being white seems pretty dumb as well, with the character right before him being a black man.

Overwatch is by far one of the most inclusive AAA games out there (other than the Sims), and yet every time a new character comes out there's drama of some kind.

ninjabreadman

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
I feel bad for Blizzard here, it's such a cartoonish world that serious characters would feel a bit out of place, which is why they tend to go for more outlandish or archetype designs. Half the characters can probably be labelled as offensive due to these archetypes often being associated with tropes. e.g. female healers, black characters being rappers or musicians, the germans loving their beer.. the list goes on.

Now I get the concerns around sigma, they turn him from being a victim to being a villain without the nuance and tact the subject (mental breakdown) requires, but complaining that it's a white male is uncalled for, the backlash would be twice-fold if they added another black woman finally, but made her mentally unstable, so it's more a case of they added a character which isn't the character they wanted, which isn't valid criticism.

Secondly, Blizzard does a pretty solid job of fleshing out their characters with the comics etc further down the line, so it's good to raise the problems with their portrayal of mental illness now, but we should also give them a chance to refine and elaborate on it before passing complete judgement. Maybe this character isn't the villain we think he is?

My 2 cents anyway.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably the writer thinks Ana is white, because i don't recally any other white female character.
Widowmaker

Spray_Widowmaker_Wedding2.png

Aug 18, 2018
User banned (5 days): antagonistic drive-by post, thread whining + account in junior phase
As if we don't have other more important problems in this world...

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sigma's mental health problem seems to be "consciousness split across time which makes him experience events in a nonlinear fashion" ,which really isn't the sort of thing that you put in the game to add diversity/representation. His backstory is straight up Event Horizon-style cosmic horror.

That Sigma's a victim being used and abused by others taking advantage of his current state seems to have been a deliberate choice to avoid the Spider-Man style "lab accident causes good scientist to go evil" trope.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The way Sigma's mental health is portrayed is awful, even if it's not the cause of him becoming a villain. They couldn't even get his Dutch lines to not be stereotypical, with him having lines like "lekker, stroopwafel" ("yummy, stroopwafel").

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Orisa is created by an African female and has the personality of one, but yeah, it sucks there's no playable black women in Overwatch.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
It's so sad to see Moira dismissed by the author as "just" another white woman on the pile, her reveal was much celebrated here even in mainstream news reports and articles.

She's one of the very few Irish (not Irish American) characters ever represented in video games and as a gaeilgeoirí she's representing a group who have possibly never heard their language spoken in a video game before.

Locuza

Mar 6, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory False Equivalence Surrounding Representation
I do 100% wonder why the hell we have yet to see a single black woman on that roster. The community has been very vocal about wanting a black woman to become a playable and well-rounded character since Day-1 and we continue to hear claims of "we listen to the community" and "we respect diversity" and all this crap.
Should a black woman be on a higher stance than a new hero which is Greek?

For me thats another hero increasing the diversity and while I understand that many would like to have XYZ and whats currently missing, it does appear racist and/or sexist to me when people prefer a race/gender above another one since it's not like Overwatch has 99% white males in the hero pool which are all heterosexual.

In regards to Sigma's mental health portrayal and the apparent issue of it I think it's blown out of proportions.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
User warned: dismissive drive-by post
There's one article of this sort every time another Overwatch hero gets released, no matter what that specific hero is. OW is probably one of the most diverse games out there, give it a rest.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
This isn't true

Edit: I just searched and turns out Symmetra is indian and Sombra mexican. Welp :p
Yeah theyre not black lol.

But still, with 31 characters not every gender in every race is going to be represented. To knock overwatch for not trying due to not having a black woman is... A hot take imo. They don't always get it right but they're a fuck ton more right and we'll intentioned than like 99% other games in the industry.

Also orisa was greatest by a black girl, but I get that that's not the same as representation in games is also the ability to play as someone who represents you.

Trying to also talk about the subject of mentla illnes but my phone touch screen is acting insane will come back to thiss

Deleted member 49535

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
It's so sad to see Moira dismissed by the author as "just" another white woman on the pile, her reveal was much celebrated here even in mainstream news reports and articles.

She's one of the very few Irish (not Irish American) characters ever represented in video games and as a gaeilgeoirí she's representing a group who have possibly never heard their language spoken in a video game before.
They don't get that Overwatch is not just about race representation, but culture, gender, sexuality, etc. They are doing an amazing job at it (especially looking at the rest of the industry) and I wish they would get some praise for it instead of this constant whining.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Sigma represents not only a failure to represent mental health properly, but a missed opportunity to add more of Overwatch's touted diversity to the game. Adding another white man to the roster seems to betray its claims of diversity, especially when, with 31 heroes, Overwatch still has more anthropomorphic hamsters in its cast than it has black women.
Aren't Pharah and Ana both from Egypt?

Or do we not count Egyptians as black any more?

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018

I agree so much.
She is amazing and imo. one of the best and most impressive characters of this gen. It looks like few ppl fail to see or just don't want to see this.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Literally the first time I've seen that mental health take for sigma. I know people have being asking to add a black woman for a long time and good character designs inadvertently got shit on due to those without self control.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I don't get it either.

Are people disappointed that there's no black American women in the game?

And I mean I don't mean to say it's not worthwhile to have such a character but also it also seems dishonest to claim the game isn't diverse for lacking one particular racial identity when it has a lot of diversity.

What is the proportion of white male characters in Overwatch anyway?

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get it either.

And I mean I don't mean to say it's not worthwhile to have such a character but also it also seems dishonest to claim the game isn't diverse for lacking one particular racial identity when it has a lot of diversity.

There's 6 out of 31 characters that would be considered white males I believe (with Sigma now).

So McCree, Junkrat, Sigma, Reinhardt, Soldier 76 and Torbjorn.

Last edited:

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I... don't get the no shoes complain

Oct 27, 2017
Overwatch is miles ahead of most games when it comes to representation. Real representation.

So what is the ideal ratio? How many women? How many men? How many white/black/latinx/asian? How many LGBTQ+? How many mentally/physically/emotionally disabled?

Define that and hold every game to that standard. What major games are beating Overwatch at this right now?

This article is a bad joke.

Selane

Oct 27, 2017
Not like people aren't making valid points, but it feels kind of disingenuous and weird having a thread complaining about lack of diversity in OW when it has more than 99.9999999% of games. Yeah it could be better, so could most other things. When developers actually make an effort and all they hear from fans is "It's still not good enough!", that's what makes them stop caring and trying at all.

Unfortunately for a lot of people "diversity" is just a buzzword. Some people just mean "I want to see minority groups represented but only ones that are common enough that I see them regularly in real life and know what they are". Sorry, Moira's too fringe, doesn't count!

Also, people should probably stop trotting out the old "sure, there are X's in the game and there are Y's, but there no characters that are X and Y at the same time so Blizzard must secretly hate both!".

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017

Never mind the debate of whether ancient Egyptians are black or not, modern Egyptians would definitely be considered Arab instead of Sub Saharan black African.

EDIT:
I forgot that not all Arabs or Egyptians are Muslim. Sorry.

Last edited:

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it either.

What's the full list of black characters in Overwatch?

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Overwatch is miles ahead of most games when it comes to representation. Real representation.

So what is the ideal ratio? How many women? How many men? How many white/black/latinx/asian? How many LGBTQ+? How many mentally/physically/emotionally disabled?

Define that and hold every game to that standard. What major games are beating Overwatch at this right now?

This article is a bad joke.
Maybe in AAA games, and with how many it tries to represent. When it comes to handling representation it's the bare minimum at best though. It tends to either be lip service or stereotypes.