• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E92xTMAe3Jo

Sea of Stars from Sabotage Studio

This prequel to The Messenger tells the story of two Children of the Solstice – a Lunar Monk and a Solar Blade Dancer. Fans of classic RPGs with modernized elements will want to check out this game's moving story filled with twists and turns, its fluid and engaging turn-based combat and its freely traversable world. Sea of Stars launches on Nintendo Switch Summer 2023.

Just a reminder this got announced in 2020:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqK-1WGqYmI

Last edited:

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just a reminder this got announced a year ago:

Sea of Stars was announced for consoles and PC almost three years ago (March 19, 2020). Switch version was confirmed one year ago (December 15, 2021), and PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4 versions five months ago (July 7, 2022).

Edit: Curiously, the new Kickstarter post from Sabotage doesn't say anything about a newly confirmed summer release window. Going to hit them up and make sure Nintendo didn't mess up.

Edit 2: OK, they've confirmed summer is correct.

Last edited:

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
I'm dying to play this. The art and music is right up my alley. And I loved the messenger so this is easily at the top of my most wanted list

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Casual reminder that these devs have supported Jordan Peterson in the past, even including references to him in The Messenger, and AFAIK have never addressed it.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this looks amazing. Production value seems way above your usual "SNES-style" RPG indie game. Great art style and animation.
Maybe I come around finishing Chained Echoes until this one releases.

NekoCat

May 6, 2022
New York
Casual reminder that these devs have supported Jordan Peterson in the past, even including references to him in The Messenger, and AFAIK have never addressed it.

Thank you, was about to post this. To each their own, but that "Jordan the Wise" bs in The Messenger was enough to make me certain not to support these devs again.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
User Banned (Permanent): Racism, a long history of antagonizing infractions
I don't know Jordan Peterson, but from what I gather, he thinks exactly like most men in Japan. So that's very unsurprising.
EDIT : Canadian team

Last edited:

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dv3c5VaUYAArBhO

Apparently there was also a shopkeeper that said "did you just assume my banter?", but that was patched out at some point, whereas the Jordan Peterson thing wasn't.

Jan 13, 2022
First half of The Messenger was awesome.
Second half turned into a really bad Metroidvania-lite that was a total slog and I quit on.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
For those who are not in the know, who is this Jordan Peterson & what exactly has he done to provoke the proverbial bear?
He's a Canadian psychiatrist /conservative talking head who believes in traditional gender norms, refuses to use preferred pronouns, has attacked transgender people (comparing gender affirming care to Nazi medical experiments) , doesn't believe in climate change, list goes on and on.

Last edited:

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
I remembered there being drama around this game and couldn't remember how bad it was.

Thanks for reminding me it's pretty fucking bad.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017

OH FOR FUCKS SAKE.

I was really looking forward to this one...but ain't no way I will be supporting it now, jesus. I'd say this is even worse than the harry potter game situation since its the developers that actively support Peterson, enough to reference him in their game which is just gross.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
He's a Canadian psychiatrist/conservative talking head who believes in traditional gender norms, refuses to use preferred pronouns, has attacked transgender people (comparing gender affirming care to Nazi medical experiments) , doesn't believe in climate change, list goes on and on.

Thank you for providing the cliff notes version, and man, I've gone cross-eyed from reading that laundry list of a quack who doesn't mind trampling on one's human rights.

I think I have every reason to avoid this game studio & Sea of Stars now.

MrPhiliasfrog

Oct 25, 2017

Dv3c5VaUYAArBhO

Apparently there was also a shopkeeper that said "did you just assume my banter?", but that was patched out at some point, whereas the Jordan Peterson thing wasn't.

Eww, this went from must have to easy pass in a second. I'm not going to support a studio supporting fucking Jordan Peterson.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for providing the cliff notes version, and man, I've gone cross-eyed from reading that laundry list of a quack who doesn't mind trampling on one's human rights.

I think I have every reason to avoid this game studio & Sea of Stars now.

Yeah. Jordan Peterson is basically the Super Saiyan version of all those Youtube faux-intellectuals who went from being "logical skeptics" to hard right wingers during the Obama years. He couches a lot of extremely conservative language in intellectual talking points and has been a source of radicalization for a lot of nerdy young people. Perhaps unsurprisingly, he flared up in popularity right around the same time GamerGate happened.

Randomless

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing the release date and hearing the Mitsuda track was incredibly hype but I had no idea about this Jordan Peterson bullshit. Unbelievable. I still haven't played the Messenger and I don't think I ever will now, I'll skip this one too even though I was looking forward to it.

zero_fm

Mar 11, 2022
sorry for my ignorance, and I have never played the messenger and I don't know shit about jordan PETERSON
, but what is the link between this Jordan the Wise and the alt right fuck? Legit question, I have zero knowledge about this feud (edited as I have called him Jordan Henderson)

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
sorry for my ignorance, and I have never played the messenger and I don't know shit about jordan henderson, but what is the link between this Jordan the Wise and the alt right fuck? Legit question, I have zero knowledge about this feud

The developers did a homage to Jordan Peterson inside their game by having an NPC refer to a character named after him.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Was hoping for early 2023 since it was initially aimed for 2022, but they can take all the time they need.

Messenger was good but this looks incredible.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Been patiently waiting for this one. It's a day 1 purchase, that's for sure.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
Looking forward to it. Still a long time tho.
If anyone enjoyed The Messenger, I gladly can recommend Cyber Shadow!