• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
"Sea of Thieves was the second best-selling game of March, and is the eighth best-selling game of 2018 year to date," said Piscatella. "Sea of Thieves generated the highest launch month sales for any title produced by developer Rare since tracking by The NPD Group began in 1995."

This should include everything from Donkey Kong Country 2 onwards. Adding Game Pass downloads to this number this is incredibly impressive!

Also #2 for the month in March 2018 NPD.

NPD thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/np...-of-thieves-2-ps4-tops-hardware-charts.38373/

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Say bye to the idea of Rare going back to their old franchises for a looooooong time.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good, I hope we continue to get proper support then. I love the title, and it has a ton of potential. But it's been a sparse launch. As per usual for GAAS titles.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see it did well.

I know people were upset with the content, but with 6 free expansions coming in 2018 and weekly updates starting in May, I think it will eventually live up to it's hype. The foundation of the game is very good.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Said this in the NPD thread but it's heartening to see new IP selling so well. Rare could've easily been put to work remaking an old game or relaunching an old IP. They've been allowed to work on a brand new IP for years and it seems like it's paid off (in sales/players anyway). Good to see.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Good. Now support the game and give people a reason to come back consistently especially since it's a Game Pass title.

I'm excited to see where the game is this time next year.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Great to hear. Not surprised tho. It was positioned to be the biggest Microsoft title of the year.

Splendy

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to seeing where SoT goes since it now has a big enough audience that Rare can justify supporting it into the future. Also Rare please just sell your wave tech to every other company its genuinely very impressive.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Say bye to the idea of Rare going back to their old franchises for a looooooong time.

We don't need them for that, anyways. The new Killer Instinct, as well as Retro's two Donkey Kong Country games, show that all we need for these old franchises is talented new blood that understand and respect the source material.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The thing about Rare's games, though, particularly GoldenEye, is that they had fantastic legs. GoldenEye didn't sell quickly, but it didn't stop selling. It just sold and sold and sold and sold and sold.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I guess now the concern about MS closing rare has been put on hold.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, great stuff. Glad for Rare, must be a huge win for them. It seems they have a decent post-launch plan, too, so I'm looking forward to see how the game grows.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
I hope this will motivate them to improve the game. They have the basis, now they just need to build on that.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
so this is Rare's Fire Emblem Awakeing moment. good to see they are in a much better position now.

(for those that don't get the reference, FE Awakening was going to be the final FE game and the devs put everything they had into it for it to turn around the series' dying sales)

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Being a Multiplatform release probably helped a lot. I wonder what the split of Windows 10 / Xbox One users is.

Argot

Oct 29, 2017
We don't need them for that, anyways. The new Killer Instinct, as well as Retro's two Donkey Kong Country games, show that all we need for these old franchises is talented new blood that understand and respect the source material.

Plus it's good to have an internal studio at Microsoft dedicated to new IPs. It's probably for the best.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Nice. Sold great even with gamepass factored into this...Great job Rare and MS. well deserved.

Last edited:

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Being a Multiplatform release probably helped a lot. I wonder what the split of Windows 10 / Xbox One users is.

I wonder too because Windows 10 games were left for dead not too long ago. Looks like MS strategy is paying off in spades. Love to see the splits on that.

TailorDKS

Apr 18, 2018
And, like No Mans Sky, it will propably leave "early-access" and gets a re-release two years after the Initial release and will be worth it..

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
I seriously doubt Xbox One is where N64 was when games like Banjo-Tooie and even Conker came out. Literally everyone I knew with an N64 bought Rare games, I barely know anyone who really bought SoT. Crazy figures. Never woukd have guessed it. Crow for the people saying game pass cannibalized sales though.
Remember SoT is on PC, too.

Cladyclad

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I seriously doubt Xbox One is where N64 was when games like Banjo-Tooie and even Conker came out. Literally everyone I knew with an N64 bought Rare games, I barely know anyone who really bought SoT. Crazy figures. Never woukd have guessed it. Crow for the people saying game pass cannibalized sales though.
N64 only sold 20 million consoles in the US in its lifetime

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully Rare keeps adding cool stuff, as (vaguely) laid out in their road map for the rest of the year.

hexanaut

Dec 6, 2017
I had my doubts, but they've undeniably made something special. I'm curious to see what's in the first major content update.

DontRaff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are there more people playing SoT now than in its launch week? I would like to see some hard numbers similar to what MS announced with the 1 million players in its 1st week announcement. It's just hard to see a new IP with such mediocre to poor reviews attract more players after it's launch month especially with it being a GAAS game.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's great for Rare and hopefully they bust their butt's to make it better. It's not for me but my kid loves it.

Cladyclad

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
But 33 million worldwide. We still don't have any idea Xbox One broke 25 million let alone 30. It is why I picked two games close to the N64 gen end.

Keep in mind an Xbox One digital purchase counts as a W10 copy too. Just saying, install base isn't a real good metric here when Xbox One doesn't have giant numbers we can't even prove.
Npd is US though only. World Wide don't matter

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But 33 million worldwide. We still don't have any idea Xbox One broke 25 million let alone 30. It is why I picked two games close to the N64 gen end.

Keep in mind an Xbox One digital purchase counts as a W10 copy too. Just saying, install base isn't a real good metric here when Xbox One doesn't have giant numbers we can't even prove.
Xbox One sold over 20 million in the US already.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

Something Matt was saying also, that GP will actually help sales also.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
That was obvious. Sot is a GaaS. They were always gonna devote their time to this for the foreseeable future
Yep. Unless it tanked so hard it was unsalvageable, this it was Rare is going to be doing for at least a year or two. Good to see that at least the launch window was a success.