Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Just revealed on Inside Xbox at Gamescom. It adds a new volcanic region called Devil's Roar. The volcano will be calm and then tremors will give you a warning that it's about to erupt.

The volcano will throw ash, launch geysers, throw rocks and increasingly heat the water until you're boiled to death.

The update also adds a new boat type, the row boat as well as a new type of quest, cargo runs. Cargo runs are quests where the player has to move supplies from one place to another. Pretty self-explanatory.

September 19

Last edited:

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
DlIhLR8W4AAe-JT.jpg

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the correction.

No stress! Just for further clarification to your post (sorry!) the game currently has three regions. There's no 'main region'. Devil's Roar is a fourth. It's not necessarily 'separate' from the other regions. They're all just different parts of the map. The update will expand the map and add a new, fourth, region for pirates to sail to.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Ahhhhh well that's a bummer lol, was hoping to just main it. Ah well, no big deal.

Yeah it's not a replacement for the sloop. It's an additional thing that you can use to navigate boiling seas/row to islands while your crew takes the ship somewhere else etc.

Iced_Eagle

Dec 26, 2017
So hyped for row boats and the new island.

Having a new merchant alliance quest will be a welcome change of pace too for that alliance. Sounds like it should be fun.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Bit more info.

• New World Location - The new zone will be based on volcanic islands
    • Islands will have erupting volcanoes and geysers that can damage players and ships
    • Water around the islands can boil/heat up, which can damage players who are swimming
    • Means bringing your ship in close to the island may be risky
  • Rowboat makes an entrance - A good solution to the hazards of the new zone. Park your boat and row to shore!
    • Can be used for other applications like storing chests, baskets, crates, etc.
    • Probably also has some sneaky applications too, like a bombing run :)
  • New Merchant Quests - these appear to be "transport" based missions where you take items from location A to location B. Definitely a response to all our feedback :)
    • Plants - Need to be kept in water or have water frequently applied to keep them healthy
    • Rare Cloth - Need to be kept away from water or they will become damage
    • Rum - Need to keep this from being moved around too much? (lost audio for a few seconds)
  • New Cannonballs for players - these appear to be based on the cursed cannonballs encountered in Cursed Sails. Players will be able to use these, although probably in limited supply/quantity. This is gong to be a lot of fun!
  • Reaper's Mark - A new type of flag you apply to your ship that lets everyone else on the server know where your ship is located. Appears to be designed to promote pvp mechanics.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
To be fair, while playing this game my friends kinda expected merchant missions to be like this.

Isn't this a pirate game?

Why don't we get to RAID NPC or PC merchant vessels, kill their occupants, and take their loot? And then sell it to buy booze.

Why are we doing the opposite?

It's like this is Sea of Boat-Traveling Merchants instead of Sea of Thieves.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I know this game is on Gamepass. Are the DLCs free too?

All upcoming expansions will be free. They intend to make money by adding cosmetic microtransactions in the future. But they've put that on hold for now to focus on the new content first. Their first months were a huge success, so I guess they already achieved their goal in $, haha.

Why don't we get to RAID NPC or PC merchant vessels, kill their occupants, and take their loot? And then sell it to buy booze.

It's like this is Sea of Boat-Traveling Merchants instead of Sea of Thieves.

While transferring chicken I didn't really feel like a pirate, so I'm with ya. The merchant missions are still one of the worst things ever.

So, agree.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

What game are you playing? This is literally what everyone in Sea of Thieves is doing. You've described the game.

EDIT: just realised that you were probably being sarcastic.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
What game are you playing? This is literally what everyone in Sea of Thieves is doing. You've described the game.

EDIT: just realised that you were probably being sarcastic.

My experience on Sea of Thieves for about a dozen hours was running pointless fetch quests shuffling chickens around and fighting an occasional skeleton or Kraken. And PvPing with other pirates. And some scounging in wrecks, so Sea of Salvagers? ;)

Has that changed in the last few months?

The core of the game idea wasn't bad but there wasn't any actual piracy going on. Unless we were fighting other pirates it felt more like a merchant trading game.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
My experience on Sea of Thieves for about a dozen hours was running pointless fetch quests shuffling chickens around and fighting an occasional skeleton or Kraken. And PvPing with other pirates.

Because I didn't see ANY actual piracy going on.

You had an boring experience then. Last night, I played for three hours and boarded, stole from and sunk six NPC ships with my crew while dodging attacks from a giant ship-sized shark. Formed an alliance with two other player ships and snuck up and fully pirated (ie stole the shit out of) tons of loot from another player who'd just finished a Skull Fort raid and then backstabbed both ships in my alliance and took all of their loot. It's a pirate eat pirate world.

You can spend your time ferrying chickens around on your own, but that's on you.

Also you don't need to buy booze. The in-game booze is free!

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
You had an boring experience then. Last night, I played for three hours and boarded, stole from and sunk six NPC ships with my crew while dodging attacks from a giant ship-sized shark. Formed an alliance with two other player ships and snuck up and fully pirated (ie stole the shit out of) tons of loot from another player who'd just finished a Skull Fort raid and then backstabbed both ships in my alliance and took all of their loot. It's a pirate eat pirate world.

You can spend your time ferrying chickens around on your own, but that's on you.

Also you don't need to buy booze. The in-game booze is free!

A quick google for NPC ships came up with this:

https://techraptor.net/content/expectations-vs-reality-the-ultimate-failure-of-sea-of-thieves

Take, for example, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, the game that most people think of whenever any game involving piracy is mentioned. There are NPC controlled convoys to raid, you can board ships, and you can fight legendary ships and capture forts. By comparison, Sea of Thieves has no NPC ships whatsoever and the skeleton fort raids and kraken encounters are rare occurrences . As far as open-world multiplayer experiences are concerned, GTA V offers all kinds of missions, and while they mostly boil down to going to some place and killing some guys, the actual objectives are varied enough that most people evidently don't notice or care. Meanwhile, Sea of Thieves tasks you with sailing from one point on a map, picking something up, and then sailing back, and that's about it. The list of comparisons can go on, but at the end of the day, Sea of Thieves simply cannot compete with the depth of gameplay that other games offer, which has proven to be a source of major disappointment.

This was my experience with the game back in March/April. Has this changed now?

Me and my friends all liked the shell of the game, but it felt very incomplete at the time.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Might need to tweet them about the combat, its in dire need of improving.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
A quick google for NPC ships came up with this:

https://techraptor.net/content/expectations-vs-reality-the-ultimate-failure-of-sea-of-thieves

This was my experience with the game back in March/April. Has this changed now?

Me and my friends all liked the shell of the game, but it felt very incomplete at the time.

Yes. There are currently skeleton ships in the game. Now part of a timed campaign where you have to find them and battle them. But after that they'll be a threat in the world where they can emerge from the seas out of nowhere. Just like the kraken and megalodon.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Might need to tweet them about the combat, its in dire need of improving.

I'm kind of gobsmacked that the combat is still pretty much in the state it was in twelve months ago. It's a massive anchor on my enjoyment of the game now, even though they've made decent headway on the content and features side of things.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
My experience on Sea of Thieves for about a dozen hours was running pointless fetch quests shuffling chickens around and fighting an occasional skeleton or Kraken. And PvPing with other pirates. And some scounging in wrecks, so Sea of Salvagers? ;)

The core of the game idea wasn't bad but there wasn't any actual piracy going on. Unless we were fighting other pirates it felt more like a merchant trading game.
I refuse to believe you ignored the other two quest types for 12 hours