• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017

Read more here
:
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/07/31/sot-cursed-sails-available-now/
Being able to share that we've welcomed more than five million players to Sea of Thieves since launch is both inspiring and humbling. Home to players from all over the world, the thriving Sea of Thieves community includes an army of content creators who have helped the game rack up 300M views on YouTube and more than 40M live broadcast hours on Twitch. Seeing our creative community embrace the possibilities that Sea of Thieves presents is an inspiration to everyone at the studio, and on behalf of us all at Rare, I'd like to thank everyone who's been a part of this amazing adventure.
Congrats to Rare!

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Very nice. I expect it to have pretty decent (sea) legs once they start adding more content. It's pretty easy to jump into (and out of again) for short game sessions.

Deleted member 1607

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm more interested in how many active players there are.

Gamepass obfusticates what would be an otherwise amazing figure.

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
I would assume these numbers are the amounts of people who tried the game since release. So in that case the number would never go down. Anecdotally speaking, the streamers that still play it from time to time make it seem like its a dead game, as in there was no contact with any other ship crew for a 5-8 hour stream.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Congrats to Rare!

Loved the first content update and had so much fun with the megalodon and looking forward for the second content update!

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I've been digging the new content/mechanics, and our crew has kept up play sessions pretty regularly. That's probably a good sign. Jumping by a million in the weeks leading up to E3, then another million since then is solid by any measure.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I would assume these numbers are the amounts of people who tried the game since release. So in that case the number would never go down. Anecdotally speaking, the streamers that still play it from time to time make it seem like its a dead game, as in there was no contact with any other ship crew for a 5-8 hour stream.

The number has gone up a million in a month. It's not like it hit 5 million at launch and now nobody is playing it.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

I want to be respectful, because it's possible that happened, but this sounds like nonsense even conceptually. With the way the instances are handled, what you're suggesting would necessarily mean fewer than 20 total players. I've played dozens of hours over the last month or so, and low population has never come up. Considering the data we have from player count is that there are a million new players just since E3, this goes far enough to call preposterous.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Jumping by a million in the weeks leading up to E3, then another million since then is solid by any measure.
So it's either a digital sale, a physical sale or a gamepass subscription. Or a combination of that and still, a million is a million. I don't see anything negative considering the jump in players.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
If so, I were a MSFT shareholder, I would be upset.

tenor.gif

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
People still holding onto sales eh. Lol. It's gotten 1 million new players to try the game either through sale or through gamepass. I guess there's still millions of people who haven't tried gamepass. I guess at this pace they'll catch up to all the people who have Xboxes huh? I swear some folks really want this game to "die" or something. It's a good game, just not for you. Good for Rare.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Good to see the growth. The campaigns have been a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to starting the new one this evening!

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
People still holding onto sales eh. Lol. It's gotten 1 million new players to try the game either through sale or through gamepass. I guess there's still millions of people who haven't tried gamepass. I guess at this pace they'll catch up to all the people who have Xboxes huh? I swear some folks really want this game to "die" or something. It's a good game, just not for you. Good for Rare.

Well, Game Pass was significantly discounted recently, so MS is obviously losing money on it. I'm not sure how they'll explain that move to shareholders, but whatever rocks their boat, right?

On a serious note, great news for Sea of Thieves. It's a lovely game, and it's good to see it continue growing in every way.

Not unless they make it onto charts, which this hasn't since its second month.

It was actually back in the top spot in the UK just a couple of weeks ago. Those suckers must have spent their Game Pass trials on State of Decay 2.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if it charted every single month they won't give out sales numbers so not sure what you're trying to imply other than your usual negative snarky comment?

If it charted every month we could do basic math and add it up :)

It was actually back in the top spot in the UK just a couple of weeks ago. Those suckers must have spent their Game Pass trials on State of Decay 2.

Yes I see in your link it was due to new hardware bundles.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
When was the last time MS gave details on sales data?..we don't even know FH3 current numbers but we know that game was very successful for MS&PG Games yet somehow same users keep asking for these data in every thread about the success of SoT and SoD2, at this point its almost like they got some agenda. Lol

Anyway, congrats Rare.. glad to see them continuously putting out these updates.they've also been hiring a lot lately, I'm guessing for SoT and their rumored new IP.

dFORCE

Dec 7, 2017

It's based on the fact that we rarely got sales figures from Microsoft before their big new IPs made it to Game Pass. So, it's not about wanting the game to die, it's about people wanting to know how well the game is actually doing.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
It's based on the fact that we rarely got sales figures from Microsoft before their big new IPs made it to Game Pass. So, it's not about wanting the game to die, it's about people wanting to know how well the game is actually doing.
The fact they've stopped giving these numbers is old news at this point so why do same users keep asking about them over and over again in every thread? It's not like MS answered them the first 20 times they asked.