• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020

View: https://x.com/seaofthieves/status/1780619786646348264?s=46&t=gf8rfJgiXtRzEKTUzSF5Yw

Xbox, PC, and Steam players considered. Big number that will surely grow by a couple million with the addition of PS5, too.

As I'm sure you can imagine, when it comes to Sea of Thieves my days are full of numbers. Development costs, active servers, days until the next update… Sometimes, though, a truly extraordinary number stands out – a number like 40 million, which I'm incredibly pleased to say is the number of pirates who've now set sail in Sea of Thieves!

40 million players across Xbox, Windows 10 and Steam is an amazing milestone to be able to talk about, and of course it wouldn't have happened without you – our brilliant, positive and welcoming community, who continue to surprise and impress us with your creativity and antics out on the waves.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
Amazing milestone.
I guess it'll probably end up reaching over 50 million lifetime with PS5, Switch 2, etc.

Great game.
Now where the hell is Everwild?

xpownz

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 13, 2020
SoT is my beloved but I hate the fact that it takes 115gb of my drive :(

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
I'll never forget the E3 when SoT and Skull and Bones were both revealed, and Griffin McElroy saying "when the Sea of Thieves developers saw Skull and Bones they must have been shitting their pants."

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
Wild.

Could an argument be made that Sea of Thieves is the most popular game Rare has ever done (surpassing Goldeneye and Donkey Kong Country)?

Oct 25, 2017
That's fucking bonkers. So happy for the team. Since I didn't have an Xbox, I was only paying attention to the launch period and recall it was kind of rocky? Eitherway congrats to the team.

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
Super happy for RARE.

Hopefully Halo gets a port at some point.
I still play it and man I believe it could actually bounce back if it hits on PS5.
Community deserves it, theres great people in there, especially in the competitive world.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
That's fucking bonkers. So happy for the team. Since I didn't have an Xbox, I was only paying attention to the launch period and recall it was kind of rocky? Eitherway congrats to the team.

Say what you will about the Xbox crew, but they know how to fix rocky releases. TESO, Fallout 76, State of Decay 2, Master Chief Collection, Sea of Thieves, etc.

The game is quite good now. Finally got a few friends to play and we put in a good 70ish hours last year on it. I recommend to all the PS players.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Congrats! One of the most fun you could have with friends in a game. I hope they make a sequel but with more depth to the mechanics and quests.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I played this at launch and was severely disappointed by it. Has it really improved so much that it's worth getting back into?

My issues were:
- Nothing to really do, game was too repetitive. Just travel to location, pick up treasure, travel back to town. Repeat endlessly. I played for like 10 hours and never encountered anything interesting.
- Ships didn't feel like they mattered. They felt too disposable. I know you can't really strand someone at sea and have the game be fun but ships just respawning felt like a let down. What's the benefit of actually BEING a pirate and attacking someone?
- For that matter, what is the benefit of the online at all? There felt like a lack of meaningful online mechanics.

Not trying to insult the game here. Clearly people liked it more than me. But what changes or evolutions have been made in the years since? Is there any reason for me to jump back in and give it another try?

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I played with a friend for a time. Great game and really unique. Im really happy a game like this is a success.
I played this at launch and was severely disappointed by it. Has it really improved so much that it's worth getting back into?

My issues were:
- Nothing to really do, game was too repetitive. Just travel to location, pick up treasure, travel back to town. Repeat endlessly. I played for like 10 hours and never encountered anything interesting.
- Ships didn't feel like they mattered. They felt too disposable. I know you can't really strand someone at sea and have the game be fun but ships just respawning felt like a let down. What's the benefit of actually BEING a pirate and attacking someone?
- For that matter, what is the benefit of the online at all? There felt like a lack of meaningful online mechanics.

Not trying to insult the game here. Clearly people liked it more than me. But what changes or evolutions have been made in the years since? Is there any reason for me to jump back in and give it another try?
The core gameplay is still mostly the same, just with more activities, some story quests, and some recent QoL that I havent given a shot. The benefit of multiplayer is the danger it brings, carrying lots of treasure paints a target on your back, just the same as it does other players you could potentially steal from. Without that danger a lot of the appeal of the game wears off. Now theres no reason to go back to town immediately after getting a big haul since theres no danger of leaving it on your ship for example.

Oct 27, 2017
I tried it recently, solo as none of my friends had any interest - it was ok, but obviously meant to be enjoyed as part of a pirate crew so it was a slightly lonely, fiddly experience. Lovely water though.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Then I'd have to disagree. With all the campaigns and story missions there's enough to do. Even for players who aren't into the 'make your own fun' open sandbox the game is built on.

We did one of those. It was a 4 1/2 hour slog sailing to two or three islands and digging up bottles then you get to the end and you had to kill some gold skeletons while they stand in water or someone throws water on them. We got some gold and a skin for the accordion or something that did nothing. So we went back to Grounded.

Aug 23, 2018
Say what you will about the Xbox crew, but they know how to fix rocky releases. TESO, Fallout 76, State of Decay 2, Master Chief Collection, Sea of Thieves, etc.

The game is quite good now. Finally got a few friends to play and we put in a good 70ish hours last year on it. I recommend to all the PS players.

For real. For every infamously bad launch they have for GaaS games, they almost always right the ship….eventually .It may not be as quickly as one would hope, but it's encouraging to see the level of investment they've made with Halo Infinite, SoT, FO76, SoD2, all the Forza titles, etc.

Sea of Thieves going to clear 50M players by this time next year, truly incredible considering how it launched. It's so unique

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like for server to have more people so the chances for combat or whatever were higher, other than that, the game is very very fun.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I'll never forget the E3 when SoT and Skull and Bones were both revealed, and Griffin McElroy saying "when the Sea of Thieves developers saw Skull and Bones they must have been shitting their pants."

It wasn't the same E3. SoT was revealed at E3 2015 and Skull & Bones was E3 2017. But yes, lots of people thought Skull & Bones would kill SoT and cause the death of Rare.

Needless to say........It's why I'm never listening to people on the internet ever again lol

There should be no argument. It is far and above more popular. I mean it has more players than the entire N64 or SNES install bases.

SoT is an odd case. We know the exact player count for SoT but not the exact sales numbers. For all Rare games that came out before SoT, it's the opposite where we know their exact sales numbers (in most cases) but we don't know the exact number of people that have played them.

I'd really love it if MS and Rare could finally show us the sales numbers for SoT across all platforms. I don't understand why they're not revealing the numbers to this day. I assume it's a big number, so it's not like they have anything to be embarrassed about.

The N64 sold about 32 million units or so, but that means the install base must've been much higher as it doesn't account for how many people that didn't actually pay for the console played on it. DKC and Goldeneye sold 9 million and 8 million respectively, but I'm sure much, much more than 8-9 million people played those games over the years. But yes, at 40 million, it's certainly possible that SoT might have the highest player count of any Rare game ever made, but it's hard to know for certain.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Tempted to reinstall it when the PS5 ports appear

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
We did one of those. It was a 4 1/2 hour slog sailing to two or three islands and digging up bottles then you get to the end and you had to kill some gold skeletons while they stand in water or someone throws water on them. We got some gold and a skin for the accordion or something that did nothing. So we went back to Grounded.

If you play SoT and only do a straight mission and nothing else happens then ya it can be boring. The best part of the game is the stuff that happens you didn't plan on doing. I always treat missions as the bare minimum, they're just there to give you reason to go out and give you an initial heading. Don't be afraid to be side tracked or even go on the offensive against other players or even be friendly, that's when crazy stuff happens.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
Funny when people continue to say MS let Rare die and they haven't made anything worthwhile since. Congrats Rare.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Funny when people continue to say MS let Rare die and they haven't made anything worthwhile since. Congrats Rare.

They've never stopped making good, quality games with the exception of PDZ campaign (multiplayer was fire, though!). It's just that none of them were selling incredibly well compared to their past stuff, with the exception of Kinect Sports 1&2 and Sea of Thieves.

Anyway, happy that Sea of Thieves has been so successful and likely will continue to be for many years to come. Can't wait to see what Everwild is and how well it does.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I wonder how many years of life SoT has left in it? Didn't Rare plan for the game to be a 10 year project? So that would mean they plan to support it for at least another 4 years. I could easily see it exceeding the 10 year mark at the rate it's going.