• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
I want them to go further. Legendary Captains should be able to look incredible. If you want us to put in hundreds of hours the payoff better me more than fancier clothing.

So the thing that destiny did to make you want your cosmetics more is have a hub area that they made sure you had to go to alllll the time for no reason (they could have just been done in menus).

Now, I think that would be horrible, but having a hub area to wait and pick out a crew might be a nice addition (specifically so you can show off your duds... and potentially not group with people without mics)

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
The more time I spend in the game world the more janky and unfinished it is. I really hope in the next month or so it's fixed.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
So the thing that destiny did to make you want your cosmetics more is have a hub area that they made sure you had to go to alllll the time for no reason (they could have just been done in menus).

Now, I think that would be horrible, but having a hub area to wait and pick out a crew might be a nice addition (specifically so you can show off your duds... and potentially not group with people without mics)
I've always said a pirate game needs a tortuga island. Just make it it's own separate instance with larger player numbers and no combat. That way people can't run away to it for safety. Have a bunch of npc's and table games for gambling gold, vendors etc.

I think rare's biggest pushback on this is they have said plenty they don't want too many activities that take people away from the sea but..we need those activities to want to go out more and get back and show off what we have accomplished.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
For people wondering about new cosmetics....

I talked to a clothing merchant, and he said he is expecting a new shipment next week. Hmm
The merchants actually have some interesting things to say (a couple had riddles, a couple talked about treasures hidden in the outpost, etc). I wonder how much is hinting at things in the game that we haven't found, and how much is just meaningless flavor text.

Oct 25, 2017
I've always said a pirate game needs a tortuga island. Just make it it's own separate instance with larger player numbers and no combat. That way people can't run away to it for safety. Have a bunch of npc's and table games for gambling gold, vendors etc.

I think rare's biggest pushback on this is they have said plenty they don't want too many activities that take people away from the sea but..we need those activities to want to go out more and get back and show off what we have accomplished.

Have a gambling den/tavern on a central outpost that you can't enter while holding any treasure and while you're inside you can't equip weapons. That way you aren't taken out of the action into a different instance but you also can't use it as a safe spot if someone is trying to steal your stuff.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boy, I should just ignore all other threads about this game. Some people literally can't accept others being alright with what the game is.
This narrative is just as bad as the shit takes in the review threads. No one, and I mean no one, has told people they can't enjoy the game or think its alright. I like the game but this isnt happening.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

To be honest I think it would be pretty nice to see Rare try and make the outposts a little bit more of a social hub and safezone. It's pretty obvious between the taverns and shops that they are meant to be the closest thing to a social hub that the game has, the problem is that the mechanics right now incentivise combat at outposts more than almost anywhere. I don't think they should be literally a safe zone - Rare simply need to find a way of introducing some consequence to attacking at outposts because right now it's by far the easiest place in the game to murder/steal.

It's not an easy task but I think their decision to do nothing is a grave error. To be honest for a game Rare continually talk up as being one where you have social interactions with other crews, I've barely had a single friendly interaction so far. Every time I or my crew tries to extend an olive branch it gets snapped in half.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I said the same thing the other day. A central hub island where no one can kill each other is a great idea.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So is there any word on what content they plan to add to this game?

IMO they really need to add a whole new variety of quest/mission types, plus enemy/combat variety - and perhaps some new tools/weapons to diversify the sandbox.

The core mechanics driving the game is great, but it's like they launched before they had an actually game ready. As cosmetic only purchase what you want loot system isn't intriguing to me at all.

Fuck is it fun, but also fuck do I get bored fast. It's a weird contradiction.

Here's what they said in Feb, may be subject to change based on current feedback though:
  • First significant update will be around 3 months after launch
  • Updates will service all kinds of players, whether you are a hardcore gamer or a casual
  • New quest types, new trading companies and other gameplay possibilities like fishing will get added to the game over time
  • Smaller additions will just be put into the game without having to wait to get released as part of a big update
  • Events will come daily/weekly, then the bigger updates like for example introduction of underwear to the game, to the really big updates that release every 6-8 weeks (pet system for example)
  • Game will be supported and updated as long as people keep playing it
  • Rare has a detailed roadmap until the end of this calendar year
http://crewofthieves.com/sea-of-thieves-february-13th-news-summary/

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Have a gambling den/tavern on a central outpost that you can't enter while holding any treasure and while you're inside you can't equip weapons. That way you aren't taken out of the action into a different instance but you also can't use it as a safe spot if someone is trying to steal your stuff.
Yeah that's an idea I had but then what would happen to the ships? People would just run around bowing them up outside lol then you would have to have a certain part of the map that had higher player support which I don't think is possible given how servers work. It needs to pretty much just be like a destiny/warframe public lobby that's a separate instance. maybe have the entrance be a physical part of the map or just have players start there then matchmake or something.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
There are definitely bugs and still server issues. Last night I was getting rewards for turning in chests as my rank was going up but no gold. No achievements are popping still and getting rubber banding and lag. In addition, had a weird bug where I was below deck fixing a hole in my sloop and had one hole in boat from a skeleton shooting canon's off an island, as I was hammering away all of a sudden I was outside my ship in the ocean. Boat had hardly any water in it and it was only one hole in a pretty calm ocean. Was irritating since I had about 4 chests on board.

Still having a blast, but like any on-line centric game there are still bugs and issues they need to sort. Once the bugs are worked on, or the major ones, we already know of the Xbox One X fix that is coming, but I would also like the re-spawn to be adjusted. I agree with others that you should not be re-spawning on a the closed island that you died on. When fighting a fort, you have enough to deal with, if you are able to fight off another team they should not be spawning so close that they get back to you within minutes. Of course would love more things added to the game, but for me bugs first, on-line issues, performance enhancements for the "X" and then re-spawn adjustments. If they could add a few new things easily then that would be great as well.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
There are definitely bugs and still server issues. Last night I was getting rewards for turning in chests as my rank was going up but no gold. No achievements are popping still and getting rubber banding and lag. In addition, had a weird bug where I was below deck fixing a hole in my sloop and had one hole in boat from a skeleton shooting canon's off an island, as I was hammering away all of a sudden I was outside my ship in the ocean. Boat had hardly any water in it and it was only one hole in a pretty calm ocean. Was irritating since I had about 4 chests on board.

Still having a blast, but like any on-line centric game there are still bugs and issues they need to sort. Once the bugs are worked on, or the major ones, we already know of the Xbox One X fix that is coming, but I would also like the re-spawn to be adjusted. I agree with others that you should not be re-spawning on a the closed island that you died on. When fighting a fort, you have enough to deal with, if you are able to fight off another team they should not be spawning so close that they get back to you within minutes. Of course would love more things added to the game, but for me bugs first, on-line issues, performance enhancements for the "X" and then re-spawn adjustments. If they could add a few new things easily then that would be great as well.

They "temporarily" turned off achievements. Those are supposed to pop with a client-side update early this week.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest I think it would be pretty nice to see Rare try and make the outposts a little bit more of a social hub and safezone. It's pretty obvious between the taverns and shops that they are meant to be the closest thing to a social hub that the game has, the problem is that the mechanics right now incentivise combat at outposts more than almost anywhere. I don't think they should be literally a safe zone - Rare simply need to find a way of introducing some consequence to attacking at outposts because right now it's by far the easiest place in the game to murder/steal.

It's not an easy task but I think their decision to do nothing is a grave error. To be honest for a game Rare continually talk up as being one where you have social interactions with other crews, I've barely had a single friendly interaction so far. Every time I or my crew tries to extend an olive branch it gets snapped in half.
I feel like taverns are wasted. Too small and underutilized. I almost wish they were just hubs themselves where they are just populated from everywhere. I get what they are going for to have everything in the physical world but that just means so many places are empty which I understand for when you are pirating and have treasure on board but I wish there was a way to see more people socially. As for outpost combat it's not uncommon but not frequent for me. We mostly hit people at the sea or at an island but if we can't we do try and beat them to the outposts. They are some of my favorite fights though so I'd like them to stay.

I think you get that when you hit Legendary status. Perks of the position I guess.

We know it's a hub but we don't yet know if other people are there. Would be awesome.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017

While I agree, but with I think 7 or 8 outposts and an average of only 16 players, making all the outposts a free zone would not work and go against the game. Now if they would make an island that is just a town to buy things, a larger tavern with tables for board games, dice and such that would work. It would have to be made where you don't trade in chests, skulls or other things, because if they did that everyone would head to that island because it would be free of getting hi-jacked. It would have to just be a social gathering place and then have a zone of water surrounding it that immobilizes the cannons and attacking when you are within the zone. It would also have to be made that you cannot board other peoples ships in case they do have chests on board.

I think that placing such an island in the middle of in one of the corners of the map would work. But with only 16 players per instance, how popular would this area be? Or they can make it where this social zone can have a ton more people and when you sale out of the zone you get moved to a different server. I am not sure how that would work. But it would be neat to be able to use your gold for playing cards, dice games and such.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While I agree, but with I think 7 or 8 outposts and an average of only 16 players, making all the outposts a free zone would not work and go against the game. Now if they would make an island that is just a town to buy things, a larger tavern with tables for board games, dice and such that would work. It would have to be made where you don't trade in chests, skulls or other things, because if they did that everyone would head to that island because it would be free of getting hi-jacked. It would have to just be a social gathering place and then have a zone of water surrounding it that immobilizes the cannons and attacking when you are within the zone. It would also have to be made that you cannot board other peoples ships in case they do have chests on board.

I think that placing such an island in the middle of in one of the corners of the map would work. But with only 16 players per instance, how popular would this area be? Or they can make it where this social zone can have a ton more people and when you sale out of the zone you get moved to a different server. I am not sure how that would work. But it would be neat to be able to use your gold for playing cards, dice games and such.

That's what I imagined - more people in the hub.

Alx

Oct 27, 2017
While I agree, but with I think 7 or 8 outposts and an average of only 16 players, making all the outposts a free zone would not work and go against the game.

Maybe they could make the safe outpost an event. From time to time, one of the regular outposts will become a safe zone (marked with a "happy skull" or whatever), all boats would converge towards it and party there. Some players would consider keeping more stuff on their boat, waiting for a safe opportunity to cash it in but taking the risk of being attacked before it happens.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Finally completed my first skull fort and I think we must have got lucky because no other ships came to join us, it's nice to not be hassled.

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I just wrapped up a 4 man LAN party that we started on Thursday. I haven't had this much fun in years.

We just nailed working as a crew, we were almost unsinkable. The forts were a highlight in particular, as we pulled off some amazing manoeuvres and we never lost the loot. Three way battles with Galleons, outwitting sloops over and over.

Yes, it's light on 'content' , but the content exists to help players forge the many amazing stories and moments I've already experienced. Rare have aced it in my opinion, and I'm tremendously excited to see what's next.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
If they did have a safezone it shouldn't be an outpost...you can't bring tradeable items onboard (yes, that means you can't keep your precious cargo and turn it in) and it disables guns/weapons... You can only get drunk, play music, etc... while there.

But this way it keeps users from trying to flee with their boat and chests to a safezone so they can't be robbed. It keeps it as a social experience.
-------------------------
I wouldn't be surprised if they added a little something each week and this week was just launch week content. Next week you get some other live campaign that you can do over and over like a trading company. Stuff like that is what will intrigue me and keep me coming each week. Next week will be telling.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
If they did have a safezone it shouldn't be an outpost...you can't bring tradeable items onboard (yes, that means you can't keep your precious cargo and turn it in) and it disables guns/weapons... You can only get drunk, play music, etc... while there.

But this way it keeps users from trying to flee with their boat and chests to a safezone so they can't be robbed. It keeps it as a social experience.
Yep. I love the open pvp element. There has to be risk for every action.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
Just done a galleon vs galleon vs sloop vs sloop.

It was fucking crazy. We managed to sink the galleon. I made a clip, but it's just 30 secs. Will post later.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Well, I just wrapped up a 4 man LAN party that we started on Thursday. I haven't had this much fun in years.

We just nailed working as a crew, we were almost unsinkable. The forts were a highlight in particular, as we pulled off some amazing manoeuvres and we never lost the loot. Three way battles with Galleons, outwitting sloops over and over.

Yes, it's light on 'content' , but the content exists to help players forge the many amazing stories and moments I've already experienced. Rare have aced it in my opinion, and I'm tremendously excited to see what's next.

Since Thursday?

What levels are u at?

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018

That's definitely an issue, happened to me twice, and I've seen a few other reports. A very annoying bug.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I do wish that sometime in the next week or 2 that Rare will share the road map. If it will be secret stuff, at least tell us that during this time we will have secret stuff for you to discover...but a road map would be really great to see. I think the biggest thing people want to see/no. 1 most talked about is when and what they are going to do to add some more depth to the voyages. If they are able to talk about that and what the plans are, I think it would be something great to share. The community for this game is what is going to make it work and survive. My nephew, which is a young adult has recruited 8 of friends to either buy the game or get game pass to play the game, just by word of mouth and the amount of fun they are having. Even in this thread, there are a lot of people playing and playing for hours on end. We all recognize and see/hope what they will add, but until Rare tells us this stuff, we are in limbo. Serving the community, keeping the community up to date and providing a road map would do nothing but continue to help the game and the players playing it.

Crazed

Oct 25, 2017
The only way to play this game is with either 2 people in a sloop or with a full 4 in a galleon. 1 and 3 kinda suck.

How our great day of pirating started:
- 4 of us hop into a game and see a skull fort close by
- decide to sail over there and we notice one galleon fighting it
- we park next to them and 2 of us hop out and swim toward the shore to help fight (we were trying to be helpful to at least help take down the fort)
- they fire first and decide to kill my friend but they were all next to a powder keg, managed to kill 2 or 3 of them by shooting it
- friends on the boat start firing at their boat and sink it
- finish off anybody who managed to spawn in time
- our crew finally realizes they just single handily finished the fort and were carrying all the loot back to there ship when we arrived
- we manage to steal it all just before they showed up again in their new boat and a chase ensues
- we managed to cash in a few items by doing some sail by's where one or two guys jump off close to an outpost (undetected by the other ship) with a piece of treasure and swim to the outpost and cash in while we keep sailing
- we are able to evade them and finally cash in all the loot
- great success to start off and the rest of the day went just as well.

Teams need to realize that you need at least one guy on the ship at all times paying attention to make sure there isn't anybody around. We sunk probably 5 to 6 ships today and made off with so much stolen loot because people weren't paying attention.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do wish that sometime in the next week or 2 that Rare will share the road map. If it will be secret stuff, at least tell us that during this time we will have secret stuff for you to discover...but a road map would be really great to see. I think the biggest thing people want to see/no. 1 most talked about is when and what they are going to do to add some more depth to the voyages. If they are able to talk about that and what the plans are, I think it would be something great to share. The community for this game is what is going to make it work and survive. My nephew, which is a young adult has recruited 8 of friends to either buy the game or get game pass to play the game, just by word of mouth and the amount of fun they are having. Even in this thread, there are a lot of people playing and playing for hours on end. We all recognize and see/hope what they will add, but until Rare tells us this stuff, we are in limbo. Serving the community, keeping the community up to date and providing a road map would do nothing but continue to help the game and the players playing it.

Those who paid the full price for the game have made their commitment, so it's only fair that MS and Rare do the same.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Are screenshots we take not showing up on-line? Been wanting to post some pics of my pirate and cant find them?

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I find playing with 3 more interesting tbh. It gives you something to do all the time and it makes battles with 2-player sloops more meaningful.

Crazed

Oct 25, 2017
There needs to be a three person ship that is basically between the Galleon and Sloop in terms of all it's stats and what it can do. Only three on a Galleon, while manageable, can just be a pain at times and feels as though something is missing. A full four person crew really is the sweet spot for it.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ok I'm out. This has been an awful day. I've achieved all of one skull fort and nothing else since I've been constantly matched with people who are literally just starting out. At level 32 this is just boring. The matchmaking should really try putting people of similar levels together.

The process of actually finding and joining a match is way to long to do this repeatedly.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Ok I'm out. This has been an awful day. I've achieved all of one skull fort and nothing else since I've been constantly matched with people who are literally just starting out. At level 32 this is just boring. The matchmaking should really try putting people of similar levels together.

The process of actually finding and joining a match is way to long to do this repeatedly.
I doubt you will find many people of the same level as you...the game hasn't been out a week. I could see you saying that a month or so from now...but right now, good luck.

Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
Holly shit how people can be that high level? Not just about play time but I know that me and my fellow crew even within a 3 hours session we will only level up a little, because besides doing voyages and returning chests you got encounters and you mess around. I will never be lvl 50 in every company at the end of April, especially with the lvl up slowing down in the higher levels.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I'm amazed that people are already in the 30s, the speed in which you rank up is quite slow.

Some people mustn't stop playing all day, oh to have that life..

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Taverns should be similar to hideouts in The Division. As soon as you enter it, all players from different outposts or lots of servers should be in there.

Player A from outpost D goes into the tavern and can see Player B from the tavern on outpost E.

or

Player A on Server 1 in tavern D can see Player B from Server 3 in tavern D.

I joined my first game with randoms and they immediately put me in jail... why? Now I can't do anything...
If one of our crew members gets a disconnect and a random joins, we put him in the brig and send him a message to pls leave so our teammate can get back in.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If one of our crew members gets a disconnect and a random joins, we put him in the brig and send him a message to pls leave so our teammate can get back in.

Dick move.
I just got put in the brig again after doing absolutely nothing wrong, and helping out a lot in a fight. Maybe this game has a community problem?

Because it's a stupid mechanic which they should change. You should play with people from ERA or use the LFG function on Xbox/W10. Or join a different game, there are many cool people to play with.

Sounds like a good plan.. I should join the Discord community.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't bothered playing with randoms yet, not sure it's worth the gamble.

But then I imagine doing the later combat missions will be a proper pain on your own.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Dick move.
I just got put in the brig again after doing absolutely nothing wrong, and helping out a lot in a fight. Maybe this game has a community problem?
I do agree that the game has a toxic community problem but I don't think that is any different than any other pvp online game.

But it could be because of other issues with the game. Which some will be fixed soon.

No Private Crews.

Cannot change crew size mid game.

Not using Game Chat. (or the group is using XL party chat or something else like discord).

And of course, they could be dicks.

I believe most of the brigging comes from a group wanting to play with 4 people but the 4th won't be online until later so they brig whoever joins to try to get them to quit.

I know I won't be playing via matchmaking until that is fixed. And to be honest, the game should have never launched that way. People have been complaining about it since the Alpha. But they assure everyone that its their top priority.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt you will find many people of the same level as you...the game hasn't been out a week. I could see you saying that a month or so from now...but right now, good luck.

I usually run into a lot of people around the 20's actually, just today it's been a whole load of people literally just starting out. I figure it's best to call it a day and try again some other time. Seems I missed a Rocket League update somewhere anyway.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Just had a really tense session playing solo. Found a wreck and dropped anchor, and when I had quick scope around i saw a Galleon on the horizon. I thought that they hadn't spotted me so decided to take the risk and dive..So I dove down to find 3 skulls and a chest.

Skull 1 up- looks and Galleon is closer

Skull 2- even closer

Skull 3- yup, they're definitely heading for me

Last chest- they're close and are already firing shots when I get on the boat.

Luckly, I knew what I was doing so I quickly checked the wind and then the map and plotted corse for the farthest away outpost that would have me going against the wind to get to.

They were so close to me, taking shots with guns and calling me a pussy in chat.. Lol. I got on the crows nest and gave them a wave as I started to put distance between us.

Better luck next time boys!

Status
Not open for further replies.