• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I agree it makes sense to initiate the tall tales the way they did. I also agree keeping things consistent is good design. This isn't consistent. As the player I link starting and ending the voyage in the same way, in the same place. Tall tales, for some reason, separates those actions. I can't be the only player confused by this "unlinking" of these two obviously related mechanics.

Ultimately, it's pretty minor, but I'm finding a lot of these not obvious design choices with this update.
The only alternative I can think of is being able to vote to cancel a voyage by going into your voyage screen or something, but when you're almost aways on your ship or a quick mermaid trip away from your ship, it doesn't really make sense to implement something like that. Having to go back to where you started the quest to cancel it would be a nightmare.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
The only alternative I can think of is being able to vote to cancel a voyage by going into your voyage screen or something, but when you're almost aways on your ship or a quick mermaid trip away from your ship, it doesn't really make sense to implement something like that. Having to go back to where you started the quest to cancel it would be a nightmare.
Pardon the meme but, why not both?

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Right. That's how you cancel all the other voyages. On the table, where you also start and vote to start them. Tall tales has you start in a different place but cancel in the same old place. I'm not sure why it isn't the same (or perhaps both).
You can find the starting location in the tall tales commendation section, and pressing more info. You can also have a tall tale active and a regular quest, so you basically will have two books on your ships table.

I'm really liking the Arena, but I wish they would have made custom maps and islands for the mode, more memorable perhaps.

And I hope they add a few different game modes to it also, like king of the fort, or capture the flags or whatever, but with a sea of thieves spin on them.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
My SoT crew is dwindling due to... some reason I can't work out. Therefore, if any EU players want to add me if they need crew, my GT is the same as my name here.

Droyd

Mar 1, 2018
its so random that t initiate different tall tales you have to go to different places. i guess at some point i'll have it memorized where to go for each, but for now its just a pain in the ass. i thought they'd all be initiated by the mysterious stranger. speaking of the stranger, i accidentally started tall tale 1 (trying to figure out how to launch others from him) and couldnt cancel it. i actually quit out and relaunched to start a different tall tale. its only after the fact that i realized that you cancel the tall tale on your ship despite voting for it where the book is. /head scratch.

gotta say, a lot of this feels half-baked

I mean, in any other open world game different quests begin at different locations... ya'know, wherever the character that the story revolves around is based.

Once you know to cancel quests on your boat it isn't really an issue.

I wouldn't say any of this is half baked

Droyd

Mar 1, 2018
You can find the starting location in the tall tales commendation section, and pressing more info. You can also have a tall tale active and a regular quest, so you basically will have two books on your ships table.

I'm really liking the Arena, but I wish they would have made custom maps and islands for the mode, more memorable perhaps.

And I hope they add a few different game modes to it also, like king of the fort, or capture the flags or whatever, but with a sea of thieves spin on them.

I wonder how many game modes they'll add. Maybe it'll depend on how active a player base The Arena accumulates. The matchmaking is already pretty bad. I hope that's their first priority and that it's something that can be fixed.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I wonder how many game modes they'll add. Maybe it'll depend on how active a player base The Arena accumulates. The matchmaking is already pretty bad. I hope that's their first priority and that it's something that can be fixed.

I agree, that should be their first priority.

They could even the matches a bit by matching closed crews against closed crews. I'm not sure why the matchmaking is so slow too, there are enough people playing.

Droyd

Mar 1, 2018
I agree, that should be their first priority.

They could even the matches a bit by matching closed crews against closed crews. I'm not sure why the matchmaking is so slow too, there are enough people playing.

Yeah and having 2 loading screens before a match (one into the tavern and again into the game) doesn't help. 8/10 games i've been server merged with other taverns and even then it takes forever. Plus you lose the colour ship you were playing on (small thing but I enjoy everyone familiarising themselves with their opponents and play styles). Maybe the servers are struggling under so many players?

RTX ON

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
This Mixer loot is the most monotonous, boring bullshit I've ever encountered.

The game is amazing to play but utterly coma inducing to watch.

Oh well 9 down, 21 to go....

Zzzzzzzzzzz

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
This Mixer loot is the most monotonous, boring bullshit I've ever encountered.

The game is amazing to play but utterly coma inducing to watch.

Oh well 9 down, 21 to go....

Zzzzzzzzzzz

Either find a streamer that's interesting to watch or let it run on the background.

I enjoy watching Fortnite streams, but if the streamer isn't entertaining I fall asleep too. Same with SoT.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. Are you serious? I was told you had to be active in chat.....

I've endured 3 hours of this for nothing?

I watched about 1 min total.. find a streamer doing arena.. moved extra browser window to the bottom with it muted. Checked in after a while and if they were gone find another one... repeat till LOOT.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Watching Goth dominate in the Arena is great fun. Does show they need better matchmaking and private matches.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I agree it makes sense to initiate the tall tales the way they did. I also agree keeping things consistent is good design. This isn't consistent. As the player I link starting and ending the voyage in the same way, in the same place. Tall tales, for some reason, separates those actions. I can't be the only player confused by this "unlinking" of these two obviously related mechanics.

Ultimately, it's pretty minor, but I'm finding a lot of these not obvious design choices with this update.

This is something Sea of Thieves has struggled with Day 1 and something I kept bringing up time and time again in the alphas.

One of their main design philosophies is to do without traditional menus, waypoints, mini maps etc. They want you to be very grounded in the world which is also why many objects are actual physical objects in the world you need to physically move and interact with. They want you to use actual maps, landmarks, compass, etc. And its all great but I think they expanded that design too far.

There's certain aspects that just become a hassle. For instance, having some of these tall tale objects be physical can lead to frustration if they get lost or stolen. Or having limited space for voyages and needing people to come to a physical spot to vote or cancel them. Or having to either remember where to go for things, check online, or go through commendations.

Unfortunately it is one of the core design philosophies of the game. It certainly has its strengths but it does lead to a lot of frustration at the expense of immersion.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Stolen these from TomKauw on Twitter

Sgz7ttV.jpg

xShmRcU.jpg

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
So tried the arena it is so much fun, fantastic addition and cannot stop play it. Will have to find a crew for tall tales later in the weekend.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
This is something Sea of Thieves has struggled with Day 1 and something I kept bringing up time and time again in the alphas.

One of their main design philosophies is to do without traditional menus, waypoints, mini maps etc. They want you to be very grounded in the world which is also why many objects are actual physical objects in the world you need to physically move and interact with. They want you to use actual maps, landmarks, compass, etc. And its all great but I think they expanded that design too far.

There's certain aspects that just become a hassle. For instance, having some of these tall tale objects be physical can lead to frustration if they get lost or stolen. Or having limited space for voyages and needing people to come to a physical spot to vote or cancel them. Or having to either remember where to go for things, check online, or go through commendations.

Unfortunately it is one of the core design philosophies of the game. It certainly has its strengths but it does lead to a lot of frustration at the expense of immersion.

i'm actually good with all of that. however, your post reminds me that the game is pretty unapproachable/confusing to new players. it tells you very little and you either find out via (tedious) exploration and trail and error or from word of mouth. i had no problem with most things at launch because going into launch i consumed whatever i could and knew pretty much the ins and out of the game from the start.

i actively avoided almost everything about the anniversary update to avoid spoiling it for myself. only now am i running into "issues" (in quotes because i get the design choice behind why they do what they do - they want to encourage communication and community into self discovery) that have been there from the start.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Not to be that person but the mysterious stranger at the end of shroudbreaker quest tells you where to start the next one. A standard player paying attention to the dialogue shouldnt feel like you talk to him again. Its really wild to me so much of this discussion is predicated on the design ethos when the issues seem primarily stemming from it glitching out when op ivy finished it the first time leading to a nonstandard experience

Johnohno

Hero of Bowerstone
Nov 6, 2017
There's also a category in the rep menu for Tall Tales (which I told op_ivy about the other day) which tells you exactly where to go for the missions. This is a none issue imo.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'm actually good with all of that. however, your post reminds me that the game is pretty unapproachable/confusing to new players. it tells you very little and you either find out via (tedious) exploration and trail and error or from word of mouth. i had no problem with most things at launch because going into launch i consumed whatever i could and knew pretty much the ins and out of the game from the start.

i actively avoided almost everything about the anniversary update to avoid spoiling it for myself. only now am i running into "issues" (in quotes because i get the design choice behind why they do what they do - they want to encourage communication and community into self discovery) that have been there from the start.
Actually, that has been improved.

At launch it seemed some players didn't get proper tutorial pop ups so that didn't help. But they have put in new on boarding stuff including a tutorial voyage.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Not to be that person but the mysterious stranger at the end of shroudbreaker quest tells you where to start the next one. A standard player paying attention to the dialogue shouldnt feel like you talk to him again. Its really wild to me so much of this discussion is predicated on the design ethos when the issues seem primarily stemming from it glitching out when op ivy finished it the first time leading to a nonstandard experience

I heard the stranger and talked to that person. But missed the book laying next to her.

It's all good. I think I'm a pretty intelligent guy, but I often struggle with what I collectively call "video game logic". I avoid most puzzle games, especially physics based ones, for this reason.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Completed The Stars Of A Thief tall tale last night, took us about 4 hours goddamn that was hard but awesome. Almost googled the damn thing, but in the end we figured it out. The first clue was pretty much a accident how we found it lol

These Tall Tales really bring the world more alive, and I hope they would implement some of the stuff into the regular voyages in the future, including traps and such.
Like the starmaps and star spyglass

OP
OP
Sikamikanico

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got stuck in last night, and I've come away THOROUGHLY impressed.

Arena is a genuine delight - bar some lengthy matchmaking hiccups, games were tactical, fast paced and had some genuinely nail-biting close finishes.

Tall Tales has also surprised, particularly the puzzle sections, the voice acting and the heightened combat. It brings such life and intrigue to the world. Amazing.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
This is the only game my girlfriend plays. I've never played it myself. Never thought it was that appealing to me as someone who likes narrative-focused, single player games. But I'll have to watch her play sometime.

With the new story mode coming out, maybe I'll be more inclined and interested.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Atm the servers are pretty balanced in terms of players. People that want to fight are in Arena and people that want to do Tale Tales are doing that.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Friends and I didn't have a clue what to do with the Totem... I'm sure the solution is muuuuch easier than what we were trying to do.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Friends and I didn't have a clue what to do with the Totem... I'm sure the solution is muuuuch easier than what we were trying to do.
Which Tall Tale?

Atm the servers are pretty balanced in terms of players. People that want to fight are in Arena and people that want to do Tale Tales are doing that.
It's really peaceful in adventure mode, since everyone is doing the Tall Tales stuff, and people who want to brawl are in the Arena.

Can you join the Arena at the Sea Dogs outpost? Or do you have to manually exit the game, and then join.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

The first Tall Tale? Just read the clue in the book and work out which island you need to take it to and where on the island.

The tears of the island is the relevant part of the clue. What could that mean?

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
https://www.kotaku.co.uk/2019/05/04...ode-is-all-the-good-and-bad-of-sea-of-thieves

Agree with this article. Arena is great fun, but it requires teamwork which is hard to find with randoms.

It's great fun tho.
I played a match where 2/4 crew members were Fishing for the entire match.

The first Tall Tale? Just read the clue in the book and work out which island you need to take it to and where on the island.

The tears of the island is the relevant part of the clue. What could that mean?
The clues also change, there are like 3 varieties to them or something.

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
So far I have had really good luck with playing with random people in the arena if this is the case, most players just want to win in most cases I have been in, and will at least try to work together

I've had varied success. But matchmaking and loading times are the two biggest problems for Arena right now. The loading times are absurd.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't really played with anyone from the Era SoT community before. I think I've got a couple of you on my friends list... is the Discord active for finding crews? Or an Xbox Club? I feel like it should be easy to find a four person Arena crew from the folk here! I'm often looking for one or two to fill out a team.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Finally bit the bullet and bought SoT, been wanting to for ages but never had anyone to play with, decided that I'll just take the plunge anyways because all the new stuff since beta looks mad fun. Can't wait to get my ass handed to me on the seas all day saturday, MS Store is downloading it much slower than my speed shows so I won't get to it before bed.

I doubt I'll have much difficulty figuring out what to do since I've watched a bunch of streams and have a general idea of what I can do, but are there any tips specifically for playing solo that'll make my life easier?

allintospace

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really tempted to get involved in SoT, however I'm just very uncertain whether I'll get much enjoyment from it without friends to play with. I also don't use mic for conversation in games, which is another hurdle. Is it difficult to find crews to join and play with? Is a mic necessary?

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I'm really tempted to get involved in SoT, however I'm just very uncertain whether I'll get much enjoyment from it without friends to play with. I also don't use mic for conversation in games, which is another hurdle. Is it difficult to find crews to join and play with? Is a mic necessary?

My advice would be to join the Discord or checking out LFG:

https://discordapp.com/invite/seaofthieves

The Discord is a great place to start for people who are looking for a crew.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I believe the last part - where you have to take the totem - is the same every time? I've done it three times now. It's a set location I believe?

I've done the last part of the first Tall Tale in two completely different spots.

I am happy to play with any people new to the game and looking for crew. You don't have to use a mic, but it does add a lot, but there are context-sensitive phrases to use so you can tell your crew (and others) what you are doing/seeing etc.