Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else trying to game mixer into getting Obsidian loot quicker? I don't know how really but I just went from 3 to 8 after one match lol

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I started one at a time and took me most of the day to get to 8 then did the multistream thing and got to 30 in a few hours.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone tell me if they've added HDR support for the PC release? The recent patch notes mention this:

High Dynamic Range – Support has been improved for HDR-compatible screens on PC. Players can access a 'HDR Calibration' page within their Settings to calibrate the brightness of the display.

Suggesting it does, but I can't find any information.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Also, fuck you Rare. If you're going to increase hole size while also allowing mast, wheel, and capstan destruction...then let us carry more than FIVE PLANKS at once. Can't believe this made it out of Insider this way.
They actually addressed this in one of the pre-release livestreams. Said they didn't think it needed to be changed, but they would keep an eye on it. It's not surprising it made it out of insiders this way, but it may change over time as people get better at exploiting the new damage model. Who knows. I have yet to take on the quests or the arena, but I have enjoyed fishing so far.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Had a lot of fun last night doing tales, me and this random in a sloop were crushing all the steps... on the way back to drop the end item off we had 2 megs and a ghostship spawn. Im sure they planned to lull us for an hour then fuck us up just before the finish but we managed to get it done (wasnt pretty)

Still had less than 1% on the achievements that popped up, i love getting those ones with the little diamond on.

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well I finally won an Arena match and decided to see if I could quickly do the first tall tale solo, no idea where to go, kinda thought I did, got sunk by some range filth Skellys on a small fort, good times!

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Got my 30 Mixer Arena views. Yay, Obsidian set. (Think I got half of the items already, but whatever.)

Johnohno

Hero of Bowerstone
Nov 6, 2017
Got my 30 Mixer Arena views. Yay, Obsidian set. (Think I got half of the items already, but whatever.)

Are you watching the Sea of Thieves channel that's kind of hypezoning Arena matches or are you just finding random streamers who are playing Arena? I've watched the Sea of Thieves channel for a few games now but my loot bar never progresses :-(

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Are you watching the Sea of Thieves channel that's kind of hypezoning Arena matches or are you just finding random streamers who are playing Arena? I've watched the Sea of Thieves channel for a few games now but my loot bar never progresses :-(

I started with the HypeZone channel, but when I found a channel I liked I decided to stick with them.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Played for the first time since the game launched. Really enjoyed it. Will be doing more of SoT. It fills a unique niche. If the game launched in its current state, I think it would've been a 8+ metacritic.

Combat is still a negative for me but overall it's a solid fun game.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Man, something really is up with the servers or something.

I'm on PC and it took like 5 minutes to load into the main menu. I'm now at the "Recruiting a crew" loading (even though I'm playing solo and on a closed party) and it's been stuck here for the last 3-4 minutes as well. Usually I would be in-game within a minute or so of loading the game, but now it's been almost 10 minutes and still stuck in loading bits...

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Man, something really is up with the servers or something.

I'm on PC and it took like 5 minutes to load into the main menu. I'm now at the "Recruiting a crew" loading (even though I'm playing solo and on a closed party) and it's been stuck here for the last 3-4 minutes as well. Usually I would be in-game within a minute or so of loading the game, but now it's been almost 10 minutes and still stuck in loading bits...

sounds like parity with the xbox experience LOL

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
sounds like parity with the xbox experience LOL
Dunno what it is, but it's quite annoying.

I love this game, but it's already given me a bunch of headaches and it's getting mighty annoying.
A while ago I remember I was able to play one day, then the next time it would keep giving me an error and I had to go through even Microsoft support to get the thing to work. Then it would not update properly because the store was (and still is) absolute trash.
Now I get stuck in endless loading screens and I don't know whether it's the servers or my downloaded data or what, and I'm wasting my night (again) just stuck with this. And the thing is, yesterday I was able to play without any issues. Such a shame.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Upon completion of the first tale you get an achievement, a hat, commendations and a big 'tale complete' border.

funny you mention that, i got none of that BUT my achievement popped when i turned on the xbox this morning. i'm sure its a server stress issue, but coupled with some of the other confusion i ran into with the tale, it made for an extra frustrating experience

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Do feel the arena waiting times are getting better. When the update launched it was horrible.. now it's just a little annoying.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
funny you mention that, i got none of that BUT my achievement popped when i turned on the xbox this morning. i'm sure its a server stress issue, but coupled with some of the other confusion i ran into with the tale, it made for an extra frustrating experience

Aye, that does sound weird. I wouldn't have thought the game-specific notices (e.g. the hat reward) would be affected like achievements would, but... at least it sounds like you did it.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to cycle between food items on console or do you have to go into the inventory?

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Is there a way to cycle between food items on console or do you have to go into the inventory?
If you have the food quickselect mapped to a button (ive had bananas mapped to left dpad ever since i found out shortly after launch), tapping it will cycle thru the foods like the workaround people used to do for cursed cannonballs before they added the dedicated wheelmenu when youre on a cannon

OP
OP
Sikamikanico

Sikamikanico

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you have the food quickselect mapped to a button (ive had bananas mapped to left dpad ever since i found out shortly after launch), tapping it will cycle thru the foods like the workaround people used to do for cursed cannonballs before they added the dedicated wheelmenu when youre on a cannon
That is an excellent tip! Thanks.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
These Tall Tales are really good, surprised by the variety and how unique some of them are. Fishing is a great time sink lol, but Arena feels like launch Sea of Thieves in terms of depth and variety (except for the ship damage.) Looking forward to it evolving as much as adventure has, maybe Megalodon/Skeleton Ship events that you can kill for silver or a control point that drops supplies like cursed cannonballs etc.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I liked the first mission for the Tall Tales. It was interesting going out, having a good time exploring until we came across an idiot Reapers Mark player who proceed to chase us for like an hour only to just narrowly sink us and...get nothing? So whatever.

Unfortunately we had a pretty upsetting bug. We got the chest, got the papers out and went to Ancient Vault, only to realize we needed the key...but was the key supposed to be in the chest? There was no prompt to take anything else out of it. Was it somewhere else and we missed a step in the clue?

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I liked the first mission for the Tall Tales. It was interesting going out, having a good time exploring until we came across an idiot Reapers Mark player who proceed to chase us for like an hour only to just narrowly sink us and...get nothing? So whatever.

Unfortunately we had a pretty upsetting bug. We got the chest, got the papers out and went to Ancient Vault, only to realize we needed the key...but was the key supposed to be in the chest? There was no prompt to take anything else out of it. Was it somewhere else and we missed a step in the clue?

There's supposed to be a totem in the chest that is the "key" in the first tall tale.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rare probably should have made the quest items be non physical for the most part. IE you always have it in your pocket like quest books, tools, etc.

I get their want to make it a physical object. It is cooler that way, and 4 people having the same totem would be thematically odd.... but it does suck when the game has no system to checkpoint you mid tall tale. In a shared world where players can attack each other its pretty brutal you can grief players doing tall tales forcing them to restart the entire thing.

It's rare, but it does happen.

Ideally some kind of a middle ground solution would be best. In that its a physical item, but you can have some sort of means to retrieve it again if it is lost.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
D5gISIZWkAAIIrl

https://twitter.com/AJM_3196/status/1123657228593049602

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Adding to this:
In my experience Islehoppers seem to be one per big island (aside from the rare one which will spawn anywhere). Idk if theyre the same every time but if they are heres the places I went to get the 4 standard islehoppers:
Stone - Sharkbait Cove
Moss - Marauders Arch
Honey - Krakens Fall
Amethyst - Old Faithful (only appears at night)

If a skeleton ship is sailing by you (like when they come up to an island and "dock" there for a bit), you can bust out the grubs and fish for battlegills even though theyre not actively attacking you.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
its so random that t initiate different tall tales you have to go to different places. i guess at some point i'll have it memorized where to go for each, but for now its just a pain in the ass. i thought they'd all be initiated by the mysterious stranger. speaking of the stranger, i accidentally started tall tale 1 (trying to figure out how to launch others from him) and couldnt cancel it. i actually quit out and relaunched to start a different tall tale. its only after the fact that i realized that you cancel the tall tale on your ship despite voting for it where the book is. /head scratch.

gotta say, a lot of this feels half-baked

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
its so random that t initiate different tall tales you have to go to different places. i guess at some point i'll have it memorized where to go for each, but for now its just a pain in the ass. i thought they'd all be initiated by the mysterious stranger. speaking of the stranger, i accidentally started tall tale 1 (trying to figure out how to launch others from him) and couldnt cancel it. i actually quit out and relaunched to start a different tall tale. its only after the fact that i realized that you cancel the tall tale on your ship despite voting for it where the book is. /head scratch.

That's how cancelling things has worked since day one tho?

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019

That's how voyage cancelling has worked since day one. Why would they break that just for tall tales? Keeping it consistent is much better design.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
That's how cancelling things has worked since day one tho?
That's how voyage cancelling has worked since day one. Why would they break that just for tall tales? Keeping it consistent is much better design.
Right. That's how you cancel all the other voyages. On the table, where you also start and vote to start them. Tall tales has you start in a different place but cancel in the same old place. I'm not sure why it isn't the same (or perhaps both).

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Right. That's how you cancel all the other voyages. On the table, where you also start and vote to start them. Tall tales has you start in a different place but cancel in the same old place. I'm not sure why it isn't the same (or perhaps both).
because unlike voyages they are story focused with specific characters. makes more sense to go to those characters and have them set up the story before you leave.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
because unlike voyages they are story focused with specific characters. makes more sense to go to those characters and have them set up the story before you leave.

Oh, I agree it makes sense to initiate the tall tales the way they did. I also agree keeping things consistent is good design. This isn't consistent. As the player I link starting and ending the voyage in the same way, in the same place. Tall tales, for some reason, separates those actions. I can't be the only player confused by this "unlinking" of these two obviously related mechanics.

Ultimately, it's pretty minor, but I'm finding a lot of these not obvious design choices with this update.