• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Silverhand

Oct 26, 2023
As long as you don't own a ship and only have access to chartered ones, you can't save cosmetics and have them ready the next time you log in.

Once you buy a ship (a sloop costs 250000 gold coins), you can save its cosmetics, change its title and, more importantly, access the Sovereigns tent to sell your loot all at once instead of delivering it one item at a time to each separate company.

Your pirate being back in starter clothes sounds like a bug, it shouldn't happen.

Can't give you an inch. I'm surprised they let you fire yourself out of a canon without damage.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
Can't give you an inch. I'm surprised they let you fire yourself out of a canon without damage.
The last update has made progression more accessible and fluid, but it's still a GAAS and you'll have to grind a bit to access some stuff.

But once you have your own sloop, everything goes considerably faster and if you enjoy the loop of setting sail, having adventures, exploring and selling loot, it's a really chill and enjoyable game.

Silverhand

Oct 26, 2023
The last update has made progression more accessible and fluid, but it's still a GAAS and you'll have to grind a bit to access some stuff.

But once you have your own sloop, everything goes considerably faster and if you enjoy the loop of setting sail, having adventures, exploring and selling loot, it's a really chill and enjoyable game.

Funny enough I started with 10K+. Had I known I had to buy I ship I wouldn't have blown it all on clothes and customizations

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Funny enough I started with 10K+. Had I known I had to buy I ship I wouldn't have blown it all on clothes and customizations
The starting voyages for Gold Hoarder are all pretty simple, but once you can fly an emissary flag getting gold is pretty quick with the maxed out multiplier. Plus when there are Gold Rush hours (Gold Rush is active throughout 17:00-18:00 UTC and 01:00-02:00 UTC.) and Gold + Glory weekends, the multipliers there boost gold income greatly. 250k won't take that long, especially since you don't have to spend it all on anything like "upgrades" bc there aren't any.

vfryOy5.png

pPDzdKT.png

It's been 3 months but we've finally got to level 15 in the guild we can now raise the guild emmisary flag. I noticed it's mostly dosh and PJsprojects keeping the guild going so thank you, and I've come back to the game recently again putting some hours in. So congratulations! The progress is going slow but constant, let's try to keep it going.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
vfryOy5.png

pPDzdKT.png

It's been 3 months but we've finally got to level 15 in the guild we can now raise the guild emmisary flag. I noticed it's mostly dosh and PJsprojects keeping the guild going so thank you, and I've come back to the game recently again putting some hours in. So congratulations! The progress is going slow but constant, let's try to keep it going.
You did it!

We were halfway through level 14 when I stopped playing yesterday. I logged in this morning just to see if we had finally unlocked the guild flag, and there it was. Congrats on the final push, you beautiful gold cursed pirate! I look at the guild's chronicles from time to time and saw you were selling a ton of loot this week :D

You did it!

We were halfway through level 14 when I stopped playing yesterday. I logged in this morning just to see if we had finally unlocked the guild flag, and there it was. Congrats on the final push, you beautiful gold cursed pirate! I look at the guild's chronicles from time to time and saw you were selling a ton of loot this week :D
Yeah!, with the season eleven that raised the level cap I'm gonna try to at least get the first distinction in the trading companies, so I'll be playing more in the coming weeks. Seeing the numbers go up again and the new loot was the thing the game needed to bring me back.. :)

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah!, with the season eleven that raised the level cap I'm gonna try to at least get the first distinction in the trading companies, so I'll be playing more in the coming weeks. Seeing the numbers go up again and the new loot was the thing the game needed to bring me back.. :)
I'm far from being a veteran of Sea of Thieves, having started playing last october, but even as a new-ish player I was going around in circles a bit after becoming pirate legend.

The new loot, revised shipwrecks and voyages on demand (world event raids in particular) have made me want to stick around a lot more. It's the same game, but having access to skellies fleets or Ashen Lords that easily makes things more exciting. No more sailing around looking for something to do after I'm done with a lost shipment or a few OoS bounties.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
So, question, after the Safer Seas update and then the recent update with all the QOL and streamlining to get people into the meat of the game quicker, how much has it affected the pvp side of things? I admit that while I really love the tension of possibly running into other players without knowing how they're going to react, and don't really want to have to resort to a restricted rewards private pve lobby with zero pvp whatsoever, I've come to absolutely abhor the pvp mechanics the game has because of boarding and the janky on-foot combat exploits that might as well have become features from never being touched (and on-foot combat generally being garbage). It sucks that while these are the only grievances I have with the game, they're such a huge impact for me that I often get turned off of the game everytime I try and jump back in. If someone really wants me dead, I cannot fight back because of how esoteric and unfun the pvp metagame is, and learning how to combat it feels like a waste of time when I'm not even able to play enough to become invested in the game.

So, question, after the Safer Seas update and then the recent update with all the QOL and streamlining to get people into the meat of the game quicker, how much has it affected the pvp side of things? I admit that while I really love the tension of possibly running into other players without knowing how they're going to react, and don't really want to have to resort to a restricted rewards private pve lobby with zero pvp whatsoever, I've come to absolutely abhor the pvp mechanics the game has because of boarding and the janky on-foot combat exploits that might as well have become features from never being touched (and on-foot combat generally being garbage). It sucks that while these are the only grievances I have with the game, they're such a huge impact for me that I often get turned off of the game everytime I try and jump back in. If someone really wants me dead, I cannot fight back because of how esoteric and unfun the pvp metagame is, and learning how to combat it feels like a waste of time when I'm not even able to play enough to become invested in the game.
I usually play solo sloop, so I play this game like its an horror game, every couple of minutes my eyes are in the horizon trying to see if there are other ships coming, when I get some good loot on my ship I'm also checking the map table for reapers, every time I get to an outpost I check the emmisary tables to get an idea of how many other ships or reapers are on my server, and if I see them I usually just jump servers to another voyage and with any luck there are no reapers in the new server.
Personally I've had less interactions with other players than before, but I don't know if it's because of the new gameplay loop, or because I'm just better at avoiding them.
When I have very little loot or a low value emmisary flag I just go see what they are doing, I have nothing to lose and usually the interaction is more interesting that another 15 minute run around to avoid them, but if I got some good loot or a level 5 emmisary flag and I get someone after me, I try to make it harder for them to get me, I just assume that they are going to sink me eventually and just sail against the wind and try to board them, lead them trough a storm or fog but once they get on my ship and talking to me I try to negotiate, they can get my loot and an alliance and I'll keep bringing them money trought that if they leave me alone after sinking me, or if they just kill me anyway or don't have comms, I just leave the server and try again sometime later, its worked a couple of times and I get a cut of the loot I had when they sell it.
I also don't like the combat, so I just go into battle with the speakin trumpet in hand and my bad english and sometimes that lead to fun interactions.
But most of the time I jut get killed a couple of times and come back later, it's annoying but its part of the game, and that little gameplay loop of seeing a ship, guessing if they are friendly or aggresive by the flags and cosmetics of their ship, deciding if I should run to sell my loot or try to talk to them and trying to be as annoying as I can if they attack me it's a lot of fun on its own.
But getting attacked by surprise and sunk before you even know it, sucks. lol. But as you get better at being aware of the state of the server it will happen less and less.

Last edited:

PJsprojects

Oct 30, 2017
England
Nice work on the guild👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
We are out and about in game tonight but this time will leave the Titanic at port…… (we didn't do to good last time lol)

Silverhand

Oct 26, 2023

Played for about an hour on regular PVP and saw one other person on an outpost island.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017

So far it really does feel like there is generally less folks playing or at least engaging in open pvp outside of the occasional reaper flagged ship. I dunno, been only a few weeks back but so far it just feels like the world is overall less full of players which I feel is cause of all the changes made to having organized PVP matches, safer seas, and now players teleporting to locations for their quests and activities.

As for doing PVP, really it's something a person should not even be considering unless you are playing with a crew. Solo pvp is super difficult because any ship combat really requires a team to operate the whole boat. But also a solo sloop as long as you play carefully, you can get away from most fights always.

I solo all the time and rarely engage in pvp cause it's just part of the game, you are on alert and always sailing with your eye to the horizon and keeping track of your surroundings. The rare instance someone comes after me, again you take advantage of the sloops speed and never let them get close. There is a bit of a thrill to the whole aspect of danger at all times, cause really players are the bigger threat than any of the npc enemies in the game.

PJsprojects

Oct 30, 2017
England
Didn't see anyone in high sees last night and that was about three hours worth, ran emissary flag no problem, game feels low on players or everyone is in safer seas.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
To echo what's already been said, I don't see many players on the seas. The odd sloop here and there, a few reapers (and they usually mind their own business and don't bother me much even when I'm flying a grade 5 flag) and some brigs or galleons but I just steer clear of them. You do have to pay attention to your surroundings though, and always keep an eye on the horizon just in case.

In the 4 or so months I've been playing, I was attacked maybe 6 times. The last one happened right after S11 started: a sloop started firing at my boat while I was doing a ghost fort. I just fired back from the fort cannons, they panicked, went full sail and crashed on a nearby rock before they left. And that was it.

I've actually met more cool people than belligerent ones. This weekend I sailed to a guy soloing a skellie fortress, he kegged me (understandably) but I explained that I just wanted to help and wasn't interested in the loot. We teamed up in an alliance, killed the skeletons and I sailed with him a bit. It was fun.

All in all, for all the horror stories I've heard over the years, I'm glad I finally started playing: the game has a lot to offer, the last updates have been great and I'm hoping it'll get even better now they overhauled voyages.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for the replies. I might try to jump in again at some point then, sounds like there's alot less pvp since I last played.

Silverhand

Oct 26, 2023
Question: Does High Seas (regular play) not take into account if you are playing Solo?

I found a note in a bottle to go fight a skeleton on an island and I parked my ship and saw a bunch of skeletons on the beach so I blew them up with my canon. Yet, they kept respawning. No only that but harder versions like plant ones and gold ones.

I figured maybe I have to get into actual melee to advance the quest but they kicked my solo ass once i walked onto the beach.

I'm assuming no, the missions/quests don't take me being solo into account.

Question: Does High Seas (regular play) not take into account if you are playing Solo?

I found a note in a bottle to go fight a skeleton on an island and I parked my ship and saw a bunch of skeletons on the beach so I blew them up with my canon. Yet, they kept respawning. No only that but harder versions like plant ones and gold ones.

I figured maybe I have to get into actual melee to advance the quest but they kicked my solo ass once i walked onto the beach.

As far as I know, every mission that sends you to kill skeleton captains consists of killing certain number of waves of various types of skelletons before the captains spawn, the number and sizes of those waves, and the health of the skelletons varies depending on a lot of things like the level of the mission or the number of player on the island. You might fight for example 4 waves of 6 skeletons with low hp if you are playing solo, or 7 waves of 8 eskeletons with high hp if there are 4 or more people on the island before the captains start spawning.

But yes, finding a good spot to use your ship or rowboat cannon is a valid strategy to clear those waves or even the skelleton lords and captains.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA

Yes, they do take crew size into account.

A message in a bottle to go fight a skeleton will lead you to an island (or a place on a larger island) where you take out waves of skeletons until the named one that you were sent to dispatch emerges. The skeletons that spawn can be any kind. You'll hear a fanfare when you've taken out the one from the note—but regular island skeletons can spawn after that as well.

BTW with Gold skeletons - lead them into the water, throw a bucket of water on them, or hit them with a firebomb (unless it's raining) and they can be taken out with a single gunshot.
Plant skeletons - They will regain health if they're in the water so it may take more to defeat them if they're in the water or it's raining.
Ghost skeletons - Use your lantern or shoot a flare from your cannon to land hits on them with swords/guns.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Didn't see anyone in high sees last night and that was about three hours worth, ran emissary flag no problem, game feels low on players or everyone is in safer seas.

Yea I don't know whats up, last couple weeks playing, next to no conflict on high seas play. Also rarely see other boats on the ocean either. I do think that splitting the player base was a massive mistake this late in the games life. While it may attract some new players, it's also taking player base and spreading it out instead. The game is clearly different since they added safer seas.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Finally decided to check this out yesterday after playing the Skull and Bones open beta.

Pretty mixed on it so far, Did the Maiden Voyage with a guide to get all the commendations there, then went into Safer Seas and took some time and googling figuring out what to do. Got that semi-sorted and did the tutorial voyages for the 3 merchants or whatever and those were mostly fun.

Decided to do Tall Tales and was getting pretty frustrated with the obtuseness/vagueness of some of the clues but some guides helped figure it out and figure some of it out on my own. Got through it only to get sunk by an NPC ship I didn't see coming, have the shroudbreaker disappear and fail the quest shortly after respawning. Nearly rage quit and uninstalled after that and seeing I'd have to do it all over again.

Changed my mind and played through it again this morning and did it in High Seas instead thinking maybe there wouldn't be an NPC ship at the end of the quest that way (and just for higher rewards and what not anyway). Got back through it pretty quickly (got he same end island for the item so that made it faster, though middle part was different and took some exploring) and got it done with no issues and no ships anywhere in site when returning the shroudbreaker.

So I'm back on board for now, but not sure how much I'll play if all the tall tales are that vague at times in clues etc. And definitely a game I can see being a lot more fun with friends and sailing around is a bit of a pain at time solo with running back to look at the map, keeping an eye out for ships and I couldn't imagine trying to do ship combat solo. But I'll mess around more as I'm just mostly in mess around in games mode until FF7 Rebirth is out as I don't want to get sucked into another SP game before then.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
If I remember right, the tall tales can be very vague. I mostly used Rare Thief guides to do them. Not that they aren't good, but I didn't want to get off-track and then end up on the wrong side of the map from where I needed to be. I would for sure run those in Safer Seas because it'll be very frustrating getting sunk by hostile players.

It definitely is more fun with friends. But even playing with randoms can be enjoyable.

Just in case - from the wheel of the sloop, turn around and walk toward the back canopy. If you look down, you'll be able to see the map from the top deck.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Pretty much the whole game plays better with other players, especially the Tall Tales. While they are easy really, many have a lot of steps or just are much easier to accomplish the puzzles with helping hands which can get you through portions lot faster than doing it slowly alone.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Thanks both. I actually hadn't realized you could look down at the map from the back of the Sloop, lol. So that was helpful.

That said, I played a bunch today and I'm bouncing and did uninstall this time. Got a 2nd Tall Tale done, but with a lot of annoyances again. Had gotten one item for the third one, fled a stupid skeleton NPC ship that attacked me and got to the location of the second. Took a while to find that item and when I came back up my shit was sunk so I guess I hadn't actually lost that ship and it sunk me while I was diving etc. No check point yet so that lost both items and that was it for me.

Like I said, mostly was just messing around with this after messing around with Skull and Bones, and both weren't games I figured I'd get into. Just something different to dick around in this weekend while getting over a cold and not wanting to start the other couple of SP games I've got lined up as I won't be able to finish those before FF7: Rebirth. So just killing time until that and then onto those games afterward.

I can see the appeal of SoT for sure, just not for me as a solo player with no interest in playing with randoms, the story stuff is just too obtuse for me and too much time spent looking in guides, and shit like the above that makes me loose progress and have to do quests over again is among my biggest pet peeves in gaming. So this one's just not for me—but again, didn't think it would be which is why I never gave it a go until this weekend.

PJsprojects

Oct 30, 2017
England
Some nice new stuff coming this year but I really want to buy the fire spitting mega ship! New weapons are good and the mobile harpoon will be a right laugh but come on Rare give us more ship based weapons and more ships.
They have clearly seen what Skull and Bones has and taken note (Yes S&B is not great).

ethanradd

Oct 30, 2017
I'm still hoping we get an arctic biome some day, ...with penguins and polar bears, navigating around icebergs, etc, There's so much they could do.

HonestAbe

May 19, 2020
If I remember right, the tall tales can be very vague. I mostly used Rare Thief guides to do them. Not that they aren't good, but I didn't want to get off-track and then end up on the wrong side of the map from where I needed to be. I would for sure run those in Safer Seas because it'll be very frustrating getting sunk by hostile players.

It definitely is more fun with friends. But even playing with randoms can be enjoyable.

Just in case - from the wheel of the sloop, turn around and walk toward the back canopy. If you look down, you'll be able to see the map from the top deck.

You can also see the map on the brig from the front water gates and the map on the galleon from the middle grate / water bucket hole.

I'm still hoping we get an arctic biome some day, ...with penguins and polar bears, navigating around icebergs, etc, There's so much they could do.

We rarely find anyone now..can't imagine finding anyone if they expand the map more! Maybe just sail to the new area since that's where everyone is.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
I have 2 other friends that never had an Xbox, so I convinced them to start the PS5 beta with me this weekend- I'm super excited to finally play this with friends!

I hope the beta runs smoothly - the ocean water effects look incredible.

Can you swim underwater whenever you want? Will something eat you if you do? Are there treasures underwater?

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I have 2 other friends that never had an Xbox, so I convinced them to start the PS5 beta with me this weekend- I'm super excited to finally play this with friends!

I hope the beta runs smoothly - the ocean water effects look incredible.

Can you swim underwater whenever you want? Will something eat you if you do? Are there treasures underwater?
If you swim too long, a shark will be attracted to you and eventually eat you.

There ARE things to do underwater, though. Like nearer towards shorelines you might hear a faint humming. You can then search out a mermaid statue and destroy it (takes a while) for a gem that sells for gold.

There are OTHER more "substantial" things to do underwater too, but I won't spoil those for you (also it's been so long since I did that I can't remember it too well, lol).

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Is there a way to chang the microsoft account linked to the PS5 version? I linked the wrong account to it. Not sure if I can change it now.
No

• Be warned, account linking is a permanent decision, as players are only able to link a single Microsoft account to a single PlayStation™Network account. Only use the Microsoft account on which you intend to carry over your progress to launch!
  • Experienced pirates from other platforms who are participating in the PlayStation®5 Closed Beta will have their pirate and all associated progress seamlessly transferred and accessible for play. Be sure to use the correct Microsoft account, as the two accounts chosen to be linked cannot be changed later.

FullMetalTech

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, New York
No

• Be warned, account linking is a permanent decision, as players are only able to link a single Microsoft account to a single PlayStation™Network account. Only use the Microsoft account on which you intend to carry over your progress to launch!
  • Experienced pirates from other platforms who are participating in the PlayStation®5 Closed Beta will have their pirate and all associated progress seamlessly transferred and accessible for play. Be sure to use the correct Microsoft account, as the two accounts chosen to be linked cannot be changed later.
Thanks. I wasnt sure email I used before so I linked the wrong one. It's all good though.

SuperOctopus

Apr 22, 2020
As someone who never played Sea of Thieves, can I just boot the game, play the tutorial and go directly do the Monkey Island content? Or do I need to spend hours to unlock stuff before getting there? With the game arriving on PS5, I'm curious to see if that's possible.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
As someone who never played Sea of Thieves, can I just boot the game, play the tutorial and go directly do the Monkey Island content? Or do I need to spend hours to unlock stuff before getting there? With the game arriving on PS5, I'm curious to see if that's possible.
You can just jump straight to the Pirates of the Caribbean and Monkey Island stuff. Not even sure if you have to do the maiden voyage tutorial tbh.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
I found this fort full of ghosts, killed their leader and got a shit load of chests. Turned them all in without incident.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Is this thread gonna be bumped to the gaming section again?
Would make sense with release tomorrow on ps5

GestaltGaz

Oct 28, 2017
Yep just read that. So in another 4 hours. Don't know why they didn't just unlock it at that time though. Sucks for me as it's 7pm here in Australia and I've got work tomorrow so no time to play today. Will have to wait till tomorrow night.

xpownz

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 13, 2020
I Hope the PvP comes back to life with the New playerbase

Best part of the game feels dead :/