• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
That's a fair score from Eurogamer if you take into account that they only have three "scores"; Avoid, Recommended & Essential. Recommended could translate to a 6 or 7/10 which lines up with most review scores for this game, no?

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
That's a fair score from Eurogamer if you take into account that they only have three "scores"; Avoid, Recommended & Essential. Recommended could translate to a 6 or 7/10 which lines up with most review scores for this game, no?
I don't think Eurogamer works that way. Far Cry review for example don't show none of these three scores. I think recommended would be more like a 7,5/8

Deleted member 6733

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a fair review from EG.

Has EDGE reviewed yet? They had a feature didn't they but no review?

I feel like EDGEs review will be surprisingly favourable. Just a feeling.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
WindowsCentral

Pros:
  • Unique gameplay you won't find elsewhere.
  • A strong foundation for cooperative play.
  • Dynamic sandbox means a surprise is always around the corner.
  • A beautiful world to explore.
  • Fun and humor are never punished.
Cons:
  • Questionable longevity.
  • With limited launch offerings, the game's success is dependent on post-launch support.
  • Lack of meaningful progression for many.
  • Solo players will feel lonelier than ever.

3.5/5

https://www.windowscentral.com/sea-of-thieves-review

Oct 27, 2017

Single-player aside, which is a hollywood introduction to the multiplayer mechanics, Battlefield 1 is difficult and in no way robs the user from experience, or depth. There is no time, nor interest to do tasks like shift gears, manually reload the shells or rotate the turret using knobs. A tank drivers has to position the vehicle, avoid mines, survey for danger on the ground, keep the eye on a mini-map for bombers, know when to fall back, when to repair crit, when to deploy smoke, when to abandon... and at the same time still aim and fire the turret which has its own quirks like shell falloffs or reload timings.

So yeah, a tank does all the mechanical stuff for you, but you still need to make a ton of decisions, observation and shooting yourself in order to utilize the vehicle. And if you find tank to be the "easy" tool, a plane is all of those things + fast and complex movement.

Over 300 hours and still difficult to properly locking on with fighter/attack planes, nor use bombers to reliably hit someone. Judging how a single pilot or a tank-crew can carry the game sometimes, most players aren't even close to mastering the main tools in Battlefield. Recent map-specific vehicles, behemoths and even a bombers require the co-ordination. Sure you don't have as many mechanics in a single vehicle, nor do they require the same co-ordination as a Galleon, but there is a really fast-paced multi-layered battlefield outside the vehicle which is why the game cannot focus on realistic co-op WW1 tank crew simulations.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Single-player aside, which is a hollywood introduction to the multiplayer mechanics, Battlefield 1 is difficult and in no way robs the user from experience, or depth. There is no time, nor interest to do tasks like shift gears, manually reload the shells or rotate the turret using knobs. A tank drivers has to position the vehicle, avoid mines, survey for danger on the ground, keep the eye on a mini-map for bombers, know when to fall back, when to repair crit, when to deploy smoke, when to abandon... and at the same time still aim and fire the turret which has its own quirks like shell falloffs or reload timings.

So yeah, a tank does all the mechanical stuff for you, but you still need to make a ton of decisions, observation and shooting yourself in order to utilize the vehicle. And if you find tank to be the "easy" tool, a plane is all of those things + fast and complex movement.

Over 300 hours and still difficult to properly locking on with fighter/attack planes, nor use bombers to reliably hit someone. Judging how a single pilot or a tank-crew can carry the game sometimes, most players aren't even close to mastering the main tools in Battlefield. Recent map-specific vehicles, behemoths and even a bombers require the co-ordination. Sure you don't have as many mechanics in a single vehicle, nor do they require the same co-ordination as a Galleon, but there is a really fast-paced multi-layered battlefield outside the vehicle which is why the game cannot focus on realistic co-op WW1 tank crew simulations.
Think you missed the point abit about what he was trying to make. ;)

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yea he pretty much nails it. The potential is so immense, and I love what the game is. Much Like I enjoyed Elite Dangerous on release (Which was a more complete title). But at $60, no, absolutely not. Good thing most of us are on Game Pass. I can almost gaurantee I'll pick it up later in 2018, or whenever they release respectable amounts of content, or add a more compelling loop to keep it from devolving into a griefers paradise with no reason to do anything else. Ship combat, melee and gun combat etc. Need to be enhanced and improved, different types of ships with different focuses to suit players (At least somewhat) etc. Ways to actually win encounters, instead of just attrition battles endlessly etc. It's just not ready.

Oct 30, 2017
Yea he pretty much nails it. The potential is so immense, and I love what the game is. Much Like I enjoyed Elite Dangerous on release (Which was a more complete title). But at $60, no, absolutely not. Good thing most of us are on Game Pass. I can almost gaurantee I'll pick it up later in 2018, or whenever they release respectable amounts of content, or add a more compelling loop to keep it from devolving into a griefers paradise with no reason to do anything else. Ship combat, melee and gun combat etc. Need to be enhanced and improved, different types of ships with different focuses to suit players (At least somewhat) etc. Ways to actually win encounters, instead of just attrition battles endlessly etc. It's just not ready.

Off topic sorry

How would you view Elite now?
Been toying with picking it up for VR

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lots of new reviews seem to have hit.

VideoGamer - 6/10
Metro GameCentral - 6/10
God is a Geek - 7/10
IGN Spain - 77

TwoCoins

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Houston Tx
Argue all you want about whether a 70 is a good metric or not but the meta critic would actually be in the mid to uppers 60's if it weren't for the two disingenuous 90 reviews.

If you haven't already, I highly recommend giving Sea of Thieves a try. It's a great game to play on your own and an even better game to play with friends. I've been playing it since it's early Alpha phase right up to the final Beta last week. What I love most is that even though I've been playing it for a while, going into the official release version felt like playing a whole new game. The visuals were improved and there was far more to do in the game than there was in the Beta.
Less than 24 hours before the game was officially out. I can see people giving the game an 7 or even an 8 and enjoying it... but anything above a 9 is just laughable and being dishonest. To me the game is a easily in the 6 range.

Paronth

Oct 25, 2017
TrueAchievements
Sea of Thieves is all journey with no real destination, but if that doesn't immediately turn you away, it'll be a pirates life for you.

4/5 https://www.trueachievements.com/n31991/sea-of-thieves-review

Atomix
Sea of Thieves is a very risky game. Not only does it come out after very successful multiplayer projects like Diablo, Borderlands and even Destiny, but it presents some difficulties in trying to play with other users and in some of its confusing progress mechanics. But when you are able to play it with people willing to achieve the goal missions and to be communicative, the experience changes completely for the best.

78/100 http://atomix.vg/review-sea-of-thieves/

IGN Spain
A good effort but a shallow offer in its genre. Its success depends on the post-launch support provided by Rare, because there's a distinct lack of content in the existing game

7.7/10 http://es.ign.com/sea-of-thieves-xbox-one/131137/review/sea-of-thieves-analisis-para-xbox-one-y-pc

Sector.sk
Really funny co-op game set in age of pirates. Its not for everyone, but if you want relax on the high seas, drink beer and fight the kraken, it's for you.

7.5/10 https://www.sector.sk/recenzia/31730/sea-of-thieves.htm

GamePro Germany
Despite its quirks, Sea of Thieves is an experience that you can't get in this form anywhere else.

72/100 https://www.gamepro.de/artikel/sea-of-thieves-piraten-sandkasten-mit-foermchenmangel,3327789.html

The Games Machine
Sea of Thieves is a game with great potential, but it's undermined by a lack of variety and depth. Meditative alone, fascinating and epic in multiplayer, the navigation experience provided by Rare is truly unique and brilliant. On the other hand, the extreme freedom given to the player cannot be fulfilled because of clumsy boots on the ground mechanics and a quest structure that is far too repetitive.

7/10 https://www.thegamesmachine.it/sea-of-thieves/sea-of-thieves-recensione-pc-xbox-one/

Areajugones
Sea of Thieves has fresh and great ideas that work well. However, due to very repetitive missions, a lack of content and a poor end-game, this game turns into a tedious one after only a few hours.

6.5/10 https://areajugones.sport.es/sea-of-thieves/analisis/

Critical Hit
Sea of Thieves has a startlingly gorgeous presentation and well-thought-out pirate simulation for you to get excited over. But its spell on the high-seas is short-lived, with a lack of incentivising quests and lacklustre combat forcing you to make your own compelling reasons to stick with it rather than it not loosening its grasp on your attention.

6/10 https://www.criticalhit.net/review/sea-of-thieves/

GameSpot
Sea of Thieves' promising foundation is muddied by shallow quests and the pervasive cynicism of other players.

6/10 https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/sea-of-thieves-review-set-sail-with-trepidation/1900-6416887/

Impulsegamer
Sea of Thieves is a multiplayer pirate adventure game, rich with unrealised potential that isn't worth your time in its current state.

3/5 http://www.impulsegamer.com/sea-of-thieves-review/

Game Revolution
A few hours in and several crewmates later, I'd heard its handful of songs on repeat and I wanted to throw myself overboard as a result. This is representative of the full Sea of Thieves experience right now, where that initial excitement is eventually replaced with a longing for it to present anything new for the player to enjoy.

2.5/5 http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/377727-sea-of-thieves-review-rarely-exciting-xbox-one

Slant Magazine
U.K.-based developer Rare has crafted an experience that's as wide as an ocean but only as deep as a puddle

2/5 https://www.slantmagazine.com/games/review/sea-of-thieves

Last edited:

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Argue all you want about whether a 70 is a good metric or not but the meta critic would actually be in the mid to uppers 60's if it weren't for the two disingenuous 90 reviews.

Less than 24 hours before the game was officially out. I can see people giving the game an 7 or even an 8 and enjoying it... but anything above a 9 is just laughable and being dishonest. To me the game is a easily in the 6 range.

I don't like the game, but let's not start attacking review scores. If they felt it was a nine, they felt it was a nine. Zero need for theorizing why.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Clean prince's take on it:

He goes as far to say that he's not even sure subbing to gamepass is worth it in its current state.

Deleted member 4541

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

HdNaOW1.gif

DISCLAIMER -- I'm making a childish reference, not warring over a review score.

Oct 25, 2017
Clean prince's take on it:

He goes as far to say that he's not even sure subbing to gamepass is worth it in its current state.

most popular youtubers eventually grow on me [and grow hard], but i find this guy so GRATING to either listen to, or watch.

ugh.

can't say i'm disagreeing with the 6s and 7s in these reviews though, game feels so empty. :/

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So which big reviewers are missing? IGN and...?

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Pretty surprised this is managing to stay at 70. But that's the problem with most outlets reviewing on the American grading system of "less than 7/10 = dogshit"

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Its still a bit crazy to me that they made this Pirate game without any actual Merchant ships to pirate. You'd figure that'd be one of the first things they'd be looking to implement in the game. When I think of being a pirate I am not thinking of fighting skeletons or catching chickens I'm thinking of attacking and looting merchant vessels and defeating or escaping battleships.

With the game as gorgeous and artistically impressive as it is it is an absolute shame that it couldn't deliver on the gameplay concepts to become a true pirate fantasy game. I'm sure they will be updating it down the road but you only get one chance to make a first impression and those first impressions matter especially with a game so focused on having a multiplayer community to support so much of its game design.

For many the ship will have sailed and while their will almost assuredly be a a small passionate community that continues to play the effects of a dwindling playerbase will almost assuredly end up diminishing their experience as well.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
So if there was a team of 100+ working on this for more than four years, there is still a chance that they have a large amount of content ready and are just planning to release it over the course of the next months right? We really need to see a content roadmap ASAP, I think Rare should reveal it even sooner than they had planned to, due to the growing backlash against the game. This could be a Splatoon situation where they got knocked for limited amounts of content at launch but then won over the general public through solid ongoing support over the subsequent months.