• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland

Essentially, multiple teams compete to gain the most treasure, most likely under a time limit. Free update, as usual.
Releasing early 2019.

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Game isn't for me but this looks awesome. Hopefully the people who are really into it, have a blast.!

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Sea of thieves ship battles are awesome. Being able to get right into the action without sailing across the ocean sounds great.

This mode should be a hot and seems great like it would be great for streaming.

Also makes all the player and ship customization more useful since it's easier to show it off.

Sylverstone

Nothing amazing happens here.
Oct 24, 2017
New York City
My friend and I are really excited for this mode, since we've had our fair share of amazing ship battles as a sloop crew in the past.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I imagine this is like Survival from the Division, so a sort of battle Royale. That could be phenomenal in Sea of Thieves, curious if there'll be anything like a storm closing in on all sides or anything. Looking forward to more details but this mode might be the thing to bring me and my friends back to this game if done right.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SUPERMARKET SHRIEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: ignore this, got my threads mixed up

Last edited:

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Game is taking a lot of notes from Elite Dangerous which is awesome. The stuff they are testing in the pioneer program is cool. :)

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Take my money (well they already did) but this is dope as hell.

Seriously the best times I had with this game was the big multiship battles over control of the skull forts and this just looks like it could be a mode dedicated to that.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Very excited for this. Some of the best parts of playing SoT have been when big, multi-ship skirmishes break out. Encouraging that in close-quarters is fantastic - looking forward to seeing how everything works in this mode. Glad it's a separate thing.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
So, it'll be a second game mode. You'll be able to choose between the standard 'Adventure' and the new 'Arena' mode when this launches.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I wish that this addition was paired with some significant upgrades to the combat mechanics. While the ship combat is one of the best parts of the game, the player-to-player combat is extremely poor and this mode will highight it to an enormous degree. Nothing about fighting a player with the guns or swords is entertaining to me and it's hard to tolerate when games with good combat mechanics are literally everywhere you look these days.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Just catching up with the news (I've been out) but YES this is great. I love PvP in Sea of Thieves. My crew is gonna have a blast.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
They said in the announce yesterday that their panel today would have some details on shrouded shores... How much detail, I have no idea!

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Summary of the arena details from the panel.

Via reddit.

Arena
-Arena was made for the PvP fans who want action on demand
-The Sea Dogs the new trading company led by DeMarco from the SOT comics
-Arena has it's own Tavern where it's a hub where you can buy everything
-ranking for each crew based on how much gold you have earned in the time
-Return to the hub after the battle where you can buy stuff for the gold you have earned
-It's more based on a competitive treasure hunt
-Arena will have it's own unique features as will Adventure mode
-every player has the exact same treasure maps for islands
-They haven't decided if you can solo or have to be forced into a crew
-Progression will carry between both modes
-Cursed Cannonballs will be there
-Sea dogs have their own cosmetics
-You can queue into arena by going to the Tavern in Adventure mode

I can safely say this mode won't work with the current sword- and gunplay.
Of course it will. It's more than the sum of it's parts and is already fun in spite of it's shortcomings.. This could be a good thing though. They have dedicated teams to each mode now and with the focus on combat maybe this could push them to improve it a bit.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the sword and gunplay are absolutely horrendous in this game and I don't know why they thought they could get away with it given how shallow everything else was. It would need a complete re-work, but that could go a long way in enjoying the game. If a game as a service doesn't fix fundamental issues then what's really the point of that model?

Oct 27, 2017
Of course it will. It's more than the sum of it's parts and is already fun in spite of it's shortcomings.. This could be a good thing though. They have dedicated teams to each mode now and with the focus on combat maybe this could push them to improve it a bit.

It only works atm because you barely fight other people on land, let alone fight for the same treasure. Once there are as many players on one point as in this trailer it will totally fall apart.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the sword and gunplay are absolutely horrendous in this game and I don't know why they thought they could get away with it given how shallow everything else was. It would need a complete re-work, but that could go a long way in enjoying the game. If a game as a service doesn't fix fundamental issues then what's really the point of that model?

In my opinon the sword play and gunplay are *simple* but they're fine. We often have big sword fights on the beach (when we've made friends with other crews we often have duels before we log off). The better players always win as they can control their sword, lunges, blocks and dodges loads better. It's a simple system but I've gotten really good at using it. I'm fine with it, wouldn't want them to change it.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I actually think the sword and gunplay are like this because of the forced crossplay.

But I don't really mind. I've kinda grown into it.