Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
www.videogameschronicle.com

Xbox’s Sea of Thieves was the best-selling digital PS5 game in Europe last month | VGC

It was also the third-best seller in the US and Canada…
According to the official PlayStation Blog, the game was number 1 in its top 20 most downloaded PS5 games in Europe for the month, not counting free-to-play titles.
In the US and Canada, Sea of Thieves charted third, behind Helldivers 2 and Stellar Blade.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Someone ask Phil Spencer and Matt Booty if these are the types of games they need so that when they close down Rare for being successful we know why

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
Clearly there was a market for this game...but not people wanting it enough to be a system seller i guess.

Still, good news for Rare, this is pretty impressive.

level

May 25, 2023
This is just the beginning. Expect a lot more games on PS5 and other platforms.

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
From a recent The Verge article:

Sources familiar with Microsoft's plans tell me that the company continues to evaluate other Xbox-exclusive games coming to PS5.
I understand
Sea of Thieves will be a key test for whether other games might make their way to PS5 or Nintendo Switch.

Hard to imagine that it didn't pass that test with these kind of results after just 1 day of tracking. So I guess expect more ports in the future.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018

Sources familiar with Microsoft's plans tell me that the company continues to evaluate other Xbox-exclusive games coming to PS5.
I understand
Sea of Thieves will be a key test for whether other games might make their way to PS5 or Nintendo Switch.

Hard to imagine that it didn't pass that test with these kind of results after just 1 day of tracking. So I guess expect more ports in the future.

Everything (that makes sense, porting old unsupported games that won't sell much is probably not gonna happen) is going to PS5, they just need to find partners to do the work if internal teams don't have time or staffing.

They can massage a "it's only these 4 games, trust us, wink wink for now" message however they want, it makes no business sense anymore to hold games back to be only on Xbox.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
damn, im honestly surprised.

good for the devs. man it's been so many decades since i saw the Rare logo booting up a game.. sadly no interest in this game so my streak shall continue lol.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Should show them that at least it's safe to bring games over after a long stint of exclusivity. If it did poorly they'd probably wonder if day 1 would have been better.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Cool, game isn't for me, but love to see games do well. I have to imagine that Xbox is going to start putting more stuff on PS5 and Switch for sure and frankly at this point I think they would be dumb not to.

DiegoPaulino

Aug 24, 2023

I understand

Enjoy Crackdown 3, PS5 Bros. The (single player) game is a banger!

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
Should show them that at least it's safe to bring games over after a long stint of exclusivity. If it did poorly they'd probably wonder if day 1 would have been better.
Doubt it will be as long for other games as it was for Sea of Thieves though (6 years to be precise).

I think we're looking at a 1-2 year period max.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Great news, Sea of thieves a long with.. HiFi Rush;_; have been highlights of the year for me.

Is it worth playing if you are going to be solo?

The only ship solo is possible with is the sloop which only requires 1-2 players and is absolutely doable with 1. Also as long as you don't engage with PvP unless you're against other solo players, just because there will be too many things to manage at once when playing against a crew. I did that and still had a blast as my ship sank. You can play in safer seas to avoid other players but where's the fun in that lol, and it's not like you can't avoid other ships if you see them at a distance, and sometimes they can even be friendly.

Otherwise all the PvE stuff is a great blast and there's a lot you can do solo just takes a bit longer but hay ho it's a game ;p

Ostrav

Feb 14, 2023
Will play when it's on playstation+.

I guess it's a possibility. Think fallouts did it?

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing statistic. Really shows the value of having something completely incomparable to every other game.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

Think most of their stuff where on PS+ before Bethesda was even bought. 76 came under MS but it was basically in a get 10m players across all platforms or we shut you off scenario. Bethesda did a PS+ deal which worked out well for them player wise.

Damien1990

May 23, 2020

Ignoring Ghostwire and Deathloop for obvious reasons, there have been games added to PS+ since the rebrand:

Essential:

Fallout 76 (January 2023)
Minecraft Dungeons (March 2023)
Minecraft Legends (April 2024)

Extra:

Dishonored: Death of the Outsider (May 2023)
Dishonored 2 (May 2023)
Doom Eternal (April 2023)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition (November 2022)
The Evil Within (April 2023)
The Evil Within 2 (May 2023)
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (April 2023)
Wolfenstein: Youngblood (May 2023)
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (April 2023)

Premium:

Dishonored: Definitive Edition (April 2023)
Doom (April 2023)
Doom 2 (April 2023)
Doom 3 (April 2023)
Doom 64 (April 2023)

Honestly, I wouldn't expect to see Sea of Thieves on there for a long, long time, if ever, as it'll make a lot of cash in sales over time.

Ostrav

Feb 14, 2023
Ignoring Ghostwire and Deathloop for obvious reasons, there have been games added to PS+ since the rebrand:

Essential:

Fallout 76 (January 2023)
Minecraft Dungeons (March 2023)
Minecraft Legends (April 2024)

Extra:

Dishonored: Death of the Outsider (May 2023)
Dishonored 2 (May 2023)
Doom Eternal (April 2023)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition (November 2022)
The Evil Within (April 2023)
The Evil Within 2 (May 2023)
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (April 2023)
Wolfenstein: Youngblood (May 2023)
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (April 2023)

Premium:

Dishonored: Definitive Edition (April 2023)
Doom (April 2023)
Doom 2 (April 2023)
Doom 3 (April 2023)
Doom 64 (April 2023)

Honestly, I wouldn't expect to see Sea of Thieves on there for a long, long time, if ever, as it'll make a lot of cash in sales over time.
That's tons. Had no idea there were so many included.
Maybe it just looks a bit different because it's a game built internally at Xbox rather than buying the publisher and bringing in-house.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Multiplayer titles make sense imo.

The real test will be how singleplayer titles sell.

Zep

Jul 12, 2021

And games like Hi-Fi rush aren't the ones to test that barometer. Xbox knows that. They know what needs to come to Playstation and as much as Phil might be fighting it…Starfield has to be on the way. And its gonna sell really really good.

Damien1990

May 23, 2020
That's tons. Had no idea there were so many included.
Maybe it just looks a bit different because it's a game built internally at Xbox rather than buying the publisher and bringing in-house.
There's a chance the deal for the Bethesda games were penned pre-acquisition with them being added in the eight month timespan that Deathloop and Ghostwire were added but ultimately they like money, and if there's a point where it makes financial sense to do a PS+ deal, they'll do it. Would expect it to happen to Hi-Fi Rush or Pentiment way sooner. Don't think it'll happen to SoT as I can see that continuing to be successful in sales but you never know in a few years.

Depends on the game. Realistically they probably weren't expecting high numbers for HFR or Pentiment so long after the release date but there are a few that would still do well over a year after the initial release like Starfield and probably Indy. If the report about considering a Hellblade II port is real, that is likely a game they'd be aware that would do better the closer it is to the Xbox/PC release.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
And games like Hi-Fi rush aren't the ones to test that barometer. Xbox knows that. They know what needs to come to Playstation and as much as Phil might be fighting it…Starfield has to be on the way. And its gonna sell really really good.

I agree. Hi-Fi Rush, Grounded, Pentinent are great games (even fantastic games) but they're not the right ones to test the waters for singleplayer titles.

Hellblade 2, Starfield, Gears, Halo, etc. are more than likely to make it big on PS5.

Depends on the game. Realistically they probably weren't expecting high numbers for HFR or Pentiment so long after the release date but there are a few that would still do well over a year after the initial release like Starfield and probably Indy. If the report about considering a Hellblade II port is real, that is likely a game they'd be aware that would do better the closer it is to the Xbox/PC release.

True. They must test the viability with some of their big titles.

Starfield next and the numbers will skyrocket.

I think Starfield would be a great addition and especially now after it's getting patches and content updates + 40/60 fps modes.