Arken

Jan 14, 2018
Seattle
Carta De Oaxaca up in Ballard has been my #1 recommendation in the area for longer than I've actually been in the area, which is about a decade and a half now--some people in this thread probably still think of me as a Californian when they think of me at all though. Anyway... back to Oaxaca. You are probably outside of their COVID delivery range so you'd have likely to do pick up yourself, but I think it's worth it.
Looks fantastic. It does seem to be outside me delivery range but I don't mind the walk.

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
I'm also a fellow former South Floridian that just recently moved to North Seattle (although I've been living in the Eastside for the last 10-ish years :P)

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
Carta De Oaxaca up in Ballard has been my #1 recommendation in the area for longer than I've actually been in the area, which is about a decade and a half now--some people in this thread probably still think of me as a Californian when they think of me at all though. Anyway... back to Oaxaca. You are probably outside of their COVID delivery range so you'd have likely to do pick up yourself, but I think it's worth it.
This was my last dine-in meal before covid hit and it was bonkers. It was the best steak I've had. You sear individual pieces on the hot stone as you cut them, so I don't think that would translate to a take home experience much. Still delicious though.

BreakyBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Damn lots of Floridians. I thought I was the only Floridian that moved here for the weather.

By the way, speaking of Carta de Oaxaca, their other restaurant, El Mezcalito in Queen Anne might still be too far for delivery, but it's at least closer to Belltown. They have slightly different menus, but I like them both.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
You gotta be kidding me! South for me, Near Fort Lauderdale to be specific. Dude...I love it here by comparison. Sad that we're in the middle of a lock-down but it's already halfway over. How are you liking it?
I love it here! It's almost the polar opposite of the part of Florida I used to live in.

Being in lockdown definitely sucks, though obviously it's for the best right now. I miss exploring the city and checking out all of the cool restaurants and shops. We also lost 2 of my favorite places to hang out (Cinerama and Bedlam Coffee). But there's still a lot of really cool stuff here. Here in Belltown I really recommend trying Rocco's Pizza and Biscuit Bitch. And don't sleep on Pike Place. Even though it's a tourist trap, they've got a lot of cool shops and stuff off the beaten path. I like Ghost Alley Espresso and there's also comic stores, book stores and even record stores in the shops below the market. I also like to take the Link Light Rail to Capitol Hill (lots of shops and bars on Broadway) and down to Tukwila where the Southcenter Mall is.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
This was my last dine-in meal before covid hit and it was bonkers. It was the best steak I've had. You sear individual pieces on the hot stone as you cut them, so I don't think that would translate to a take home experience much. Still delicious though.
I think you are thinking of Asedaro, one block over, which is also excellent. Now I Want that too

Irnbru

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Thank you!!!! Been trying to find all the good spots for takeout. Un bien was suggested to me and was the best sandwich shop I've been to.... ever.

Asadero Ballard is legit Mexican steakhouse. Also has bomb ass burritos now.

Mammoth has good sammies.

Fat Ducks has good bagels.

8oz Burger is a solid burger joint. ( Bit pricy )
Also rain city burger ( cheaper, more greasy style burger )

Pablo y Pablo chorizo nachos are the bomb.

Art of the Table has a great dinner for 2-4.

Fremont Bowl has a great Chriachi Bowl. (also good dons)

Biscuit and Bean a great breakfast sandwich.

Uh. That's like my take out regiment right there.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Joule's spicy rice cakes hold up very well as a takeout option.

I've been really impressed with Salare and Junebaby's takeout setup. Salare's burger pack is absolutely amazing, and it comes with their pimento cheese spread to put on them. Oh man.

The Shambles in Maple Leaf, too. Whatever sandwich they're doing with duck is whatever I get.

I've had Rain City Burger and can vouch for it. Roosevelt is nice a little neighborhood, I'm looking forward to going there more often once the link extension opens next year.

I live a couple blocks from Rain City. The Huskies Burger is my go to, very glad they get to be part of the new building going in.

Roosevelt Station is all done and ready to go, but won't open until September as they need Northgate Station ready since it's a turn around point. I cannot wait. We bought our house about a year before they announced the North extension, that was so long ago now. They even used some of the signage from the music store that used be where the station is, it's really cool.

Arken

Jan 14, 2018
Seattle
Asadero Ballard is legit Mexican steakhouse. Also has bomb ass burritos now.

Mammoth has good sammies.

Fat Ducks has good bagels.

8oz Burger is a solid burger joint. ( Bit pricy )
Also rain city burger ( cheaper, more greasy style burger )

Pablo y Pablo chorizo nachos are the bomb.

Art of the Table has a great dinner for 2-4.

Fremont Bowl has a great Chriachi Bowl. (also good dons)

Biscuit and Bean a great breakfast sandwich.

Uh. That's like my take out regiment right there.
My favorite places so far are Bangrak Market for the best Thai food I've ever had.

Baccos is pretty good for general breakfast.

Fulcrum and Seattle coffee works for coffee.

I'm pretty bummed about the gyms still being closed. Hopefully we open up soon.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
My favorite places so far are Bangrak Market for the best Thai food I've ever had.

Baccos is pretty good for general breakfast.

Fulcrum and Seattle coffee works for coffee.

I'm pretty bummed about the gyms still being closed. Hopefully we open up soon.
I wasn't a fan of Seattle Coffee Works when I tried it at their old location, but I tried Fulcrum this morning and it was excellent!

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Caffe Appassionato is an underrated gem of Seattle IMO. My local coffee shop serves them exclusively and I've bought pounds and pounds of beans from them recently. Their Morning Passion is especially delicious!

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Anyone in Seattle with kids who wants a very 2020 Christmas experience should go see Santa on 76th and Greenwood. He's outside in a gigantic snow globe/bubble. I randomly work with a guy who's known him for 20 years, he was so incredibly nice to my daughter yesterday.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone in Seattle with kids who wants a very 2020 Christmas experience should go see Santa on 76th and Greenwood. He's outside in a gigantic snow globe/bubble. I randomly work with a guy who's known him for 20 years, he was so incredibly nice to my daughter yesterday.

Aww that's cute. I usually volunteer as a Santa to take pictures with pets as a fundraiser for a local shelter but didnt get to this year :(

Hecht

Bonk initiated
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
jfc ths rain/sleet is flooding the underside of my house. Had to run out and buy a pump

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
DB1-CD638-FB77-4-A8-F-A3-AE-9-D4-B61-CE2374.jpg

Nice reward to a shit day of keeping my street and house from flooding. Thanks a lot, WSDOT, SDOT and Pavilion Construction. You were of absolutely no help.

Sneaky Gato

Oct 27, 2017
Only the second time I've ever seen water come up to my place in 20 years. We just put new sod in this summer and I really hope it didn't wash away.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I've been loving the rain lately! Yesterday was especially beautiful. I moved my desk closer to the window so that I can watch it while I work. And after work I've been catching up on some reading, since rainy days are my favorite time to read. I feel bad for people that have to worry about flooding, and for the people living on the streets and/or in tents, though :(

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
The Seven Gables is on fire in the U District. Fuck.

I run by it all the time, I won't be surprised if it's squatters. Landmark shut it down and tried to sell it to developers, but the city was pushing to have it and the Guild 45th declared landmarks. Guess the owners will get to tear this one down now in the name of progress. Fuck.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Seven Gables was a cool venue, admittedly I only saw one movie there in the 2000s but always recognized its legacy. With Covid I imagine a lot of the older theaters are in even more jeopardy than the big chains. I loved going to the U-district theaters way back when, Egyptian was probably my favorite of the older ones. Early and mid 2000s was a great period for the indie film boom and those theaters were some of the best places to see them. I really hope a lot of these are able to survive, and that goes for the music clubs too.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Seven Gables was less than a mile from my house, we'd often walk there for a date night in the neighborhood followed by dinner at Latona Pub. I think the last thing we saw there before Landmark shut it down was Elle.

127-FB468-E669-4487-8-C60-0-ED93-A203768.png

Yep. They closed it along with the Guild (last movie I saw there was 20th Century Women in February 2017) just a couple months later, literally in the middle of the night.

Last edited:

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Cinerama here in downtown closed, too. At first it was just for renovations, but then COVID happened and now they're saying it's closed for good 😢

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
There were rumors that Amazon was considering buying Landmark Theaters a couple years ago, which would've been nice and potentially saved them, but that ship has sailed.

They'd probably also shut down The Crest up in Shoreline if the land was worth more.

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle
Oh no! I loved that theater. Hated the chocolate popcorn but it was always a great viewing experience. I really miss theaters

BreakyBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Cinerama here in downtown closed, too. At first it was just for renovations, but then COVID happened and now they're saying it's closed for good 😢

Cinerama was my go-to favorite too, but according to people who worked there it was on the decline even before COVID. Apparently, it's been an issue ever since Paul Allen passed away.

And as someone who came to enjoy them because of the film festivals they put on, I believe the stories. Cinerama's events hadn't been quite as good since then.

Still, it's a shame. I'll be looking for a good alternative theater whenever we can all safely breathe around each other again.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, geez. I have such fond memories of the Cinerama. Saw a huge LotR marathon there...

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Cinerama was my go-to favorite too, but according to people who worked there it was on the decline even before COVID. Apparently, it's been an issue ever since Paul Allen passed away.

And as someone who came to enjoy them because of the film festivals they put on, I believe the stories. Cinerama's events hadn't been quite as good since then.

Still, it's a shame. I'll be looking for a good alternative theater whenever we can all safely breathe around each other again.

SIFF Cinema isn't as fancy as the Cinerama, but their locations (Uptown, Seattle Center, Egyptian) are fantastic. I'm also partial to the old Metro/Sundance Cinema now owned by AMC in the U District.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Oh really? That sucks! Last thing I saw there was Solo in 2018, two seats down from Weird Al lol. Terrific night until me and my brother were harassed nonstop by some homeless guy outside waiting for our lyft.

They should share the recipe for the chocolate popcorn...

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Oh really? That sucks! Last thing I saw there was Solo in 2018, two seats down from Weird Al lol. Terrific night until me and my brother were harassed nonstop by some homeless guy outside waiting for our lyft.

They should share the recipe for the chocolate popcorn...

The Edmonds theater sells their version of it to go right now on the weekends. I've heard it's pretty legit.

instagram.com

The Edmonds Theater (@theedmondstheater) • Instagram photos and videos

1,779 Followers, 119 Following, 333 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from The Edmonds Theater (@theedmondstheater)

BreakyBoy

Oct 27, 2017
SIFF Cinema isn't as fancy as the Cinerama, but their locations (Uptown, Seattle Center, Egyptian) are fantastic. I'm also partial to the old Metro/Sundance Cinema now owned by AMC in the U District.

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll definitely check them out.

And yeah I think I went to the theatre that was Sundance the year before I moved to Seattle for good. I saw Mad Max: Fury Road there and had a great time.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Thanks for the recommendations! I'll definitely check them out.

And yeah I think I went to the theatre that was Sundance the year before I moved to Seattle for good. I saw Mad Max: Fury Road there and had a great time.

The Grand Illusion in the U District and The Crest in Shoreline are also great little art house/second run theaters. Old with lots of history, especially the Grand Illusion, which partnered with Scarecrow Video to become a non-profit.

Back when I was a student at UW in 2000, The Crest did a Ghibli retrospective which was awesome.

The Varsity was also awesome back then and still lives on but now shows more mainstream stuff, owned by the same family that owns the Admiral in West Seattle. I saw a lot of anime and foreign films at the Varsity in the late 90s and early 00s when Landmark still owned it.

lokiduck

The Fallen
Mar 27, 2019
Washington
That sucks about Cinerama :< My family and I saw Star Wars (like all the movies), and the Lord of the Rings trilogy there among other movies.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
It's not supposed to be super high-volume, but we might be looking at day temps in the 30s with very cold nights. This could potentially result in some nasty re-freeze situations if/when snowfall sticks.

My post was definitely meant to be tongue in cheek, but there's a chance for a couple inches a day. Here's the weather station for my neighborhood in North Seattle.

E4-D2-E5-FD-A736-4906-9244-FFA2-B90-E72-BE.png