Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since I haven't seen an OT created for the second impeachment trial of Donald Trump, I am creating one.

As of January 26th, 2021, the trial has begun with preliminary preparations being conducted on January 26th:

U.S. Senate | Event | C-SPAN.org (c-span.org)

The official start of the trial is [EDITED ON JANUARY 26th AT 3:31 PM EASTERN TO INCLUDE DATE AND TIME, COUNTDOWN] on February 9th at 1 PM Eastern:

Feb 9, 2021 at 1:00 PM

FEBRUARY 9TH UPDATE: The second impeachment trial starts today at 1 PM Eastern.

END OF DAY ONE UPDATE: The second impeachment trial will continue after the U.S. Senate voted 56-44 for declaring the impeachment trial constitutional. The Republicans who voted with the Democrats to declare the trial constitutional was Bill Cassidy of Louisiana, Susan Collins of Maine, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, Mitt Romney of Utah, Ben Sasse of Nebraska and Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania.

Day 2 will start at Noon, Eastern Time on February 10th:

Senate agrees to hear Trump case, rejecting GOP arguments (apnews.com)

DAY 5 UPDATE: Day 5 is to begin on Saturday, February 13th at 10 AM Eastern Time. A final Senate vote to convict or acquit Trump is expected to occur today.

DAY 5 UPDATE #2: A significant development has occurred, due to a CNN news article published just last night just minutes after the Senate gaveled out for the day, the House impeachment managers this morning made a request to hold a Senate floor vote on calling witnesses and requesting additional documents. The vote was 55-45 FOR calling witnesses and requesting additional documents.

Final vote on acquitting or convicting Trump will NOT happen today as previously believed.

DAY 5 UPDATE #3: Reports are coming through that a bipartisan agreement to hold closing arguments and a final vote today might happen.

DAY 5 UPDATE #4: Reports have apparently confirmed a bipartisan agreement has been made and there will be NO witnesses called for the impeachment trial. Final vote now expected to occur today.

DAY 5 UPDATE #5: U.S. Senate votes 57-43, vote to convict Trump failed, Trump has been acquitted of incitement of an insurrection.

Last edited:

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
Getting 17 Republicans to convict?
jTVzUtS.gif

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
He won't be convicted. Romney might vote to concict again, maybe even 1 or 2 others. But most, including McConnell will side with the cult leader who incited a murderous coup attempt.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think they can actually force him to show up and testify under oath since he isn't President anymore and Dems control the Senate lol

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
I think they can actually force him to show up and testify under oath since he isn't President anymore and Dems control the Senate lol
They don't have to force him. I bet he'd go himself. He was trying to go to the House of Reps to defend himself when they were impeaching him.
He wants cameras on him. He wants the spotlight.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have serious doubts that Senate Republicans will find their spines. But at least when Trump holds up a newspaper with an ACQUITTED AGAIN headline, it won't be from the White House.

Deleted member 31923

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
He won't be convicted. Romney might vote to concict again, maybe even 1 or 2 others. But most, including McConnell will side with the cult leader who incited a murderous coup attempt.

Personally, I think McConnell wants to prevent Trump from running again or forming a MAGA party, and would like to convict. But he can't get 16 Republicans to join him, and he won't stick his neck out to convict if there aren't enough votes.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017

We will see. Not convicting him means he can run in 2024 and siphon votes from whoever the Repub frontrunner is, especially if he goes 3rd party like he has threatened.

Also puts a lot of Repubs on record as having officially aided sedition/traitors, and not everyone can shrug that off.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Republicans are quick to start a fire and walk off as the flames fade into ashes. I'm sure more than enough members have cooled down on the fact a fucking insurrection happened at the capitol just a few weeks ago and won't convict Trump.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully 17 Republicans realize that the only way to save their party is to stop him from running in 2024 and essentially silence him as a political voice.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The swearing-in of Senators has just been completed. Rand Paul is objecting to the impeachment trial.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Senator Chuck Schumer is now arguing that the impeachment trial for a former President is constitutional. Senator Rand Paul is attempting to argue that holding an impeachment trial for Donald Trump is unconstitutional.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A vote has just occurred to defeat Rand Paul's motion to declare the impeachment trial unconstitutional, 55-45

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
A vote has just occurred to defeat Rand Paul's motion to declare the impeachment trial unconstitutional, 55-45
someone correct me if im off base here but this feels like a pretty good indicator (or maybe even an overly generous one) of how the final vote will turn out. im not optimistic

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
smfh, we will see there is no bottom for these trumplicans

these ppl are fucked and there is no working with them.

they will need to present all the evidence

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Good to know that we can still expect absolutely nothing from the turtle. Time to kill the filibuster.

Maybe it's some 5head play by turtle to appear to be against it but then after seeing the evidence during the trial he can say he changed his mind and not appear that he was going into it with his mind made up... shit who am I kiddin'

AYF 001

Oct 28, 2017
So what what I understand, conviction only requires a vote of 2/3 present. If enough GOP members "boycott" the trial, the remaining democrats + handful of republicans who will convict can reach the supermajority.

Now whether or not that will happen remains to be seen.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
At best it might be worth it to publicly shine some light on things that went down during the 6th and get names tied to votes. I doubt there is anywhere close to enough votes to convict.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
with the leaning towards a non-conviction if today's vote is any indication. We will end up dealing with Trump in the media for years to come...

Deleted member 31923

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
someone correct me if im off base here but this feels like a pretty good indicator (or maybe even an overly generous one) of how the final vote will turn out. im not optimistic

It sounds about right to me. I predict a handful of Republicans to vote to convict. Anyone know who the 5 Republicans are that joined with Democrats here?

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
smfh, we will see there is no bottom for these trumplicans

these ppl are fucked and there is no working with them.

they will need to present all the evidence

Trump could have personally hung Mike Pence and his family and it wouldn't be enough for the GOP to convict.

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
GOP will make damn sure not to anger his base, there will be no consequences for his spreading lies about fraud, undermining democracy and inciting violence, please feel free to do next time future Presidents, this is all ok.

I wonder if this outcome would have been different if the actually mob got their hands on a legislator and hurt them?

Oh and he'll probably run in 2024.