• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
GS9vfm3.png

Note: Vita version is $29.99.

After pulling a mysterious sword from the bed of a local waterfall, a young boy sets out on a journey to discover the secret behind the sword. Joined by two spunky companions, the boy must stop an evil ruler and his army from destroying the source of all life: The Mana Tree.

b96j9MR.png

OD8nUgk.png

Secret of Mana employs a top-down, action RPG combat system similar to 2D Zelda games with more RPG mechanics. The player can choose to control any of the three main characters, but in addition to this they can bring in two other friends to join them locally. Each character plays differently, with the main character unable to use magic, another being an offensive caster, and the final being more of a support/healer. Weapons and magi

The game uses the Ring Command system, a unique menu structure where the player scrolls left to right to select a menu option, and up and down to change the section of the menu.

clpUegi.png

To limit the player from swinging rapidly, the game implements a power gauge system, where after swinging a weapon the character can only swing a drastically weakened version of an attack for about a second until the bar refills. By holding down the attack button, attacks can be charged into devastating power attacks, with higher level charges dealing massive damage and having unique properties like area of effect or character movement built into them.

6QFYKSX.png

• Updated graphics
  • Voice acting (Japanese or English)
  • New translation
  • Remixed music option
  • Updated status windows/UI
  • Hotkeys for weapons, items, and magic
  • Enhanced AI options
  • Auto save
  • Optional mini-map
  • Enhanced multiplayer (each character enters their own Ring menu, not pausing the action)
  • New character episodes with small stories
  • Trophies/Achievements
  • Gameplay tweaks like enemy stunning, attack animations, number of stacked items, general balancing
  • NO MORE SPELL CHAINING THANK GOD
  • Maybe more? They've been changing things constantly up to release, so who the hell knows.

LMRdJLN.png
173oJHZ.png
AoPowwT.png

btw this is the goat

Last edited:

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't like it all when it was revealed, but now I'm actually looking forward to it. I hope this will be a lot less buggy than the original game.

What languages are supported for text? With how weird the original German translation was, I'm wondering how a new German translation would turn out.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My physical version just shipped. Despite some of the negativity I'm still looking forward to this.

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
Review embargo releases right at midnight - so a release day embargo. However, one of the reviewers I talked to said they've had the game since around this past weekend or a little before that. Reviewers will have had enough time to complete the game and review it.

I also noticed that chain casting magic has been fixed for the remake. I'm wondering if they raised the XP per cast at the different levels to counter this so grinding is less of an issue. I did notice magic does seem a bit more powerful to counter act the change.

I've got my pre-order in on Steam. Just waiting for that pre-load to become available.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Best feature of the remake: sound effects don't interrupt melody channels in the music.

Euman

Oct 25, 2017
Excited to pick up my copy tomorrow! Had fun with the original, should be a good time. I do t mind the art style as much as I did at first, it's kind of grown on me .

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not optimistic about this, the original has such beautiful sprite work, music, and atmosphere and this looks like its going to demake so much of that. Kind of like the ff6 remake for mobile

Dr. Dre's Dr.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope they keep that bug where the shop keepers text leaves the text box and continues off screen. As a child I always wanted to know what he said even though it wasn't important. I never want to find out!

Gylgamesh

Oct 27, 2017
Excited for this given that Secret of Mana is my favorite game. The pre-load has been taunting me all morning.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
If the review for the VITA version are good I will buy it, but not at full price anyway... waiting for the 19€ price.
Not interested in the PS4/PC version.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
I'll wait for reviews before even considering buying as much as I want to support the Mana series I think SE has done a lot of things wrong with this remake and the price is quite high for what looks like a downloadable portable game (yeah I know its on Vita) and a remake at that. Also is it concerning that review embargo lifts at midnight? It's a remake why wait that long for reviews to come out?

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
Is this going to come to Xbox

I'm going to go with a "soft no" on this one. Square Enix hasn't exactly announced anything besides FF Type-0, FFXV, and KH3 for Xbox One. Almost every JRPG (if not every one) they've announced outside of those hasn't come or isn't coming to Xbox One. I mean, there's always a chance, but I wouldn't count on it. A Switch port seems the most likely.

Clown_im_OP

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, I'm pretty sure Popoi isn't a dude?

Edit: wow, the more you know.
http://mana.wikia.com/wiki/Popoi said:
In the U.S. translation, Popoi is identified as a male while on the Republic's sand ship that protects the Fire Palace from the empire. A guard says "He ate up ALL the ship's food!". Another says "'Zat your friend? Show him outta here!" This was most likely due to the time constraints of the game's translation as Popoi largely uses non-gender specific pronouns in the Japanese version that do not exist in the English language, and thus their true gender is never revealed.
Popoi's a girl in the German translation of the original game.

Last edited:

astroglide

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm going to go with a "soft no" on this one. Square Enix hasn't exactly announced anything besides FF Type-0, FFXV, and KH3 for Xbox One. Almost every JRPG (if not every one) they've announced outside of those hasn't come or isn't coming to Xbox One. I mean, there's always a chance, but I wouldn't count on it. A Switch port seems the most likely.

Thanks. Makes me sad. Loved the original. I'll probably get this for vita

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Is the Vita version releasing late? It doesn't appear on any retailer sites.

gela94

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It looks really cute but I wish they would have kept this kinda aquarell look of the paintings and 40€ is kinda alot of money for this, 25€ would've been perfect.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Radiant Historia, this and Ni no Kuni 2 next month, and probably something else too. So many RPGs to play, whew.

Nov 8, 2017
I never played the original but I'm tempted to get this... Anyone throw me a few names of games that are similar to this please?

I like Zelda & (j)rpgs so I'm guessing this will be right up my street.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
I was super pumped when this was announced, but the more I see of it and the $40 price point, I just don't think I can bite at launch. This is one of my favorite games of all time though, so I'll probably try to grab it on a sale sometime.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Best feature of the remake: sound effects don't interrupt melody channels in the music.

Oh damn! That is actually pretty nice! I hated that as a kid. There were times when I would just stand idle to listen to bgm without the sfx messing it up. One of my favorite games of all time. Really tempted...

Tratorn

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to jump back in. I finished the game over 10 times in the past but the last time was 5+ years ago.
Will be great to play it in a refreshed format.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
I'm gonna wait out on this one. I really want to like this so I'll wait for some ERA impressions.

Endaeias

Jan 11, 2018
I ended up pre-ordering this (digitally) for PlayStation 4. I know it's likely going to be slightly dumbed down but it's still a game that I wouldn't mind playing again. I thought about going through it on the SNES Classic but this was announced before I got to it.

Helloween

Oct 27, 2017
Ohhh im so excited! Doubled dipped on PC and PS4 so i can a retail copy. Literally one of my all time favs, cant wait to see whats changed and the new translation hnnnnngggggggg

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.gamekult.com/jeux/secret-of-mana-3010005851/test.html

Gamekult gave it a 6/10. I expected worse, knowing them. So it's pretty much a simplistic remake with a few enhancements, as expected. Will buy on sale, probably.

Hmm. A lot of their complaints come from the core mechanics of Secret of Mana, and that some of it wasn't changed enough to warrant a remake. They complain about the Ring System, how laborious it is to cast a single spell from Primm or Popoi, how equipment doesn't show their parameters in the shops, pathfinding, etc. all of which is found in the original. They do have a point as to why the shortcuts are only allocated to two spots rather than 4 or more given different controller layouts. Curious if the PC version, if you happen to be using mouse/keyboard, does allow for more shortcuts.

I fully expect this game to land in the low 70s, given the archaic mechanics and divisive art style, with a decent amounts of 6/7/8s.