nemoral

Oct 25, 2017
Fiddler's Green
It'd make more sense for CBS to base it off the original Secret Six, which were normal people being blackmailed by Mockingbird into attacking various rich and powerful interests.

Jul 13, 2018
It will air on DC Universe too, but having other networks fund that shit is... easier on the studio's wallet while still promoting the brand of DC
I didn't realize this actually. Will Secret Six air on both DC Universe and CBS in the US or will the CBS release only cover international markets (similar to the Titans/Netflix deal)?

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I use the example of SYFY's Krypton

It is still home at SYFY, but the show will also stream on DC Universe because they want to have all the DC shows in one spot for convenience and brand synergy

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Does CBS even allow gay characters in their shows?

Also this isn't going to air on network tv.
latest
There was a gay NCIS agent, but he died in a terrorist bombing

Jul 13, 2018
Look, DCU isn't ever going to be profitable enough to justify the five shows they have right now. The only reason they're able to do it is because of Netflix paying for the international rights. Every show has to be paid for by someone--this one's being paid for by CBS. Though unless they're getting the longest of leashes it's gonna be trash.
Yeah, DC Universe will always remain a niche product and will never reach Hulu/Netflix levels of subscribers. I imagine it'll be more in lines with WWE Network and CBS All Access (both are currently around the 2-2.5 million subscriber range). Once WB begins rolling out the DC Universe app onto other markets, it'll be interesting to see whether or not DC Universe's future programming will remain exclusive on their app for international users or will only the US market be locked into it. It'd probably be in WB best interest to have a streaming service, such as Netflix, pickup the international rights for their programming if they want as many people to watch their shows as possible.

Thus far, 6 shows are either in pre-production/full production and are scheduled to run through 2019. Do you expect a slowdown in terms of the number of shows greenlit for DC Universe? As long as WB has someone paying for the international rights, I'd hope that they'll continue producing a steady stream of content.

svacina

Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping Gunn's take on Suicide squad would be based on The Secret Six.

I find it funny that the author of the Variety article goes out of their way to not mention any legitimate members of the Secret Six except for Bane.

The Six are...

Deadshot
Catman
Scandal
Ragdoll
Knockout
Bane

Everyone else was a guest member or not a member at all.
I hope you are not insulting Parademon, friend. Them's fighting words.

Also it would piss off Ragdoll and you certainly do not want that

Also Bane was pretty OOC in Secret Six. I liked it, but it was not really Bane.

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
I hope you are not insulting Parademon, friend. Them's fighting words.

Also it would piss off Ragdoll and you certainly do not want that

Also Bane was pretty OOC in Secret Six. I liked it, but it was not really Bane.

I strongly disagree. For my money Gail Simone was the only writer outside of Bane's original creators who actually wrote him consistently in character. I don't think anybody respected Bane and his years long character arc as much as she did.

What in particular did you feel was off about him?

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Such a great comic series. Funny and yet DARK AF. But in a...non-cringey way. Gail Simone is the best.

Dizagaox

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
London
Look, DCU isn't ever going to be profitable enough to justify the five shows they have right now. The only reason they're able to do it is because of Netflix paying for the international rights. Every show has to be paid for by someone--this one's being paid for by CBS. Though unless they're getting the longest of leashes it's gonna be trash.
DCU shows will also be part of WarnerMedia's new streaming service that'll replace HBO Go. The Netflix deal is nice but not critical, they have wider plans and will make a loss now for the longer run.

Dizagaox

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
London
A lot of people say this should go elsewhere, but conceptually, a mission of the week show with quirky characters feels like it belongs on CBS. More so than The CW, though I feel this could work on that too.

DC Universe wouldn't want this simply because they already have Doom Patrol.