• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seema Verna, Administrator of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services just stated on November 7 that U.S. states will be allowed to impose work requirements for people on Medicaid: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-work-requirements-top-federal-official-says/

The government will give states broader leeway in running their Medicaid programs and allow them to impose work requirements on enrollees, a top federal health official said Tuesday in outlining how the Trump administration plans to put its mark on the insurance program for low-income Americans.

Seema Verma, who heads the Health and Human Services Department's Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, did not spare criticisms of the Obama administration and called its opposition to work requirements "soft bigotry."

"Believing that community engagement requirements do not support the objectives of Medicaid is a tragic example of the soft bigotry of low expectations consistently espoused by the prior administration," Verma said in a sweeping address to the National Association of Medicaid Directors. "Those days are over."

The speech was Verma's most detailed public explanation of how she plans to approach Medicaid in a highly politicized era in which Republicans still hope to roll back its expansion under the Affordable Care Act as well as enact future spending cuts through their various health-care bills.

Waivers are a major way the Trump administration can reshape Medicaid. A half-dozen states have applied or soon will apply to require program enrollees to get a job or do some kind of community volunteering as a condition of their coverage.

Verma has long supported such requirements, which the Obama administration uniformly rejected, but Tuesday was the first time she explicitly promised that her agency would approve this type of waiver request.

"The thought that a program designed for our most vulnerable citizens should be used as a vehicle to serve working-age, able-bodied adults does not make sense," she said.

Some officials from states currently asking to implement work or community engagement requirements were pleased at Verma's declaration of support, including Kentucky Medicaid commissioner Stephen Miller.

"You heard what was said today, and we're right in sync with that," Miller said. He said he's expecting notification "soon" from CMS that Kentucky's waiver request has been approved. The state is hoping to set its new requirements in motion starting the middle of 2018.

Link to Remarks by Administrator Seema Verma at the National Association of Medicaid Directors (NAMD) 2017 Fall Conference: https://www.cms.gov/Newsroom/MediaReleaseDatabase/Fact-sheets/2017-Fact-Sheet-items/2017-11-07.html

One of the things that states have told us time and time again is that they want more flexibility to engage their working-age, able bodied citizens on Medicaid. They want to develop programs that will help them break the chains of poverty and live up to their fullest potential. We support this.

As Medicaid has expanded to able-bodied individuals, the needs of this population are even more imperative. These are individuals who are physically capable of being actively engaged in their communities, whether it be through working, volunteering, going to school or obtaining job training. Let me be clear to everyone in this room, we will approve proposals that promote community engagement activities.

Every American deserves the dignity and respect of high expectations and as public officials we should deliver programs that instill hope and say to each beneficiary that we believe in your potential.

For the future of our country, we need all Americans to be active participants in their communities. Currently, the labor-force participation rate for men 25 to 54 is lower than it was during the Great Depression. To maintain the continued strength of the American economy, this must change. But this isn't just about the strength of our economy, it is also vital for the quality of life of our beneficiaries. For people living with disabilities, CMS has long believed that meaningful work is essential to their economic self-sufficiency, self-esteem, wellbeing and improving their health. Why would we not believe that the same is true for working age, able-bodied Medicaid enrollees?

Believing that community engagement requirements do not support or promote the objectives of Medicaid is a tragic example of the soft bigotry of low expectations consistently espoused by the prior administration. Those days are over.

We owe our fellow citizens more than just giving them a Medicaid card, we owe a card with care, and more importantly a card with hope. Hope that they can achieve a better future for themselves and their families. Hope that they can one day break the chains of generational poverty and no longer need public assistance, and the hope that every American, no matter their race, creed, or origin, can reach their highest potential. We will approve proposals that accomplish this goal.

PBY

Oct 25, 2017
This country is so so so so so so so so so so so deeply fucked.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's community service for able bodied people? I... I don't see the issue? Cap it off at 20 hours or so a month or something. Somebody enlighten me (for real).

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Mandatory volunteers are usually awful and just cause more work for the people who have to manage them.

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's community service for able bodied people? I... I don't see the issue? Cap it off at 20 hours or so a month or something. Somebody enlighten me (for real).
What counts as able-bodied Is probably a wide net, so all this really does it kick the old and disabled off when they are unable to work.

Edit: also, you're asking why they deserve healthcare for free when you should be asking why you don't deserve the same.

larrybud

Oct 25, 2017
we've got to vote them out at the earliest oppprtunity. the politics of cruelty is not sustainable.

god willing.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
A huge number, perhaps the majority, of medicaid recipients suffer from disability. This is cruelty, plain and simple.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I get that but these people are unemployed, for whatever reason, and not doing much. Just getting all the government benefits without giving anything back.

do you really think they are unemployed JUST BEACUSE? do you really think they love to live in a day by day basis?

Oct 25, 2017
I can see this translating into cheap, meaningless labor done by those most at risk. Would love to be wrong but I highly doubt any program like this translates into upward mobility.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
What counts as able-bodied Is probably a wide net, so all this really does it kick the old and disabled off when they are unable to work.

Edit: also, you're asking why they deserve healthcare for free when you should be asking why you don't deserve the same.
If this abuses the older and those disabled then truly fuck them. But, if I am healthy and unable to find a job and getting Medicaid then I should give something back to society.

As for the free Healthcare... Excellent point. I have some issues with the dynamic of free Healthcare for everyone (ex.. Weighting 500 pounds and checking into an er every week...i know, exaggerated!) but it is the way we should be heading. 100% agreed.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

I also dont see the issue.

Before you had to be basically poor, have no job to qualify for Medicaid. Can I still qualify making what I do now? Even tho my health insurance is so low thru my job I could save a lil more by getting Medicaid. I've had it before and IMO the services suck vs regular health insurance. Emergency dental is probably the best part of it, that and prescription medicine, emergency room use. But primary doctors? Good luck getting one where you actually want to go.

Vision? Forget getting frames you want, and forget about contacts. Unless thats changed recently.

As for the older folks, they get Medicare. If this is just about Medicaid, I dont see the issue.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
What problem does this solve, exactly? Is there a huge group of people specifically not working just so they can get access to sweet, sweet medicaid?

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
do you really think they are unemployed JUST BEACUSE? do you really think they love to live in a day by day basis?
Anecdotal but I do know people that are unemployed just because. The system is easy to abuse. Some unemployed just are out skilled, for example the miners we had a thread about some days ago, and won't reinvent themselves. Others just can't find shit which is perfectly understandable and why the system is there, and also for those with disabilities and elderly. There are always two sides to a coin.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
That's a whoooole lotta dead GOP voters in the middle of the country before 2020. This is monstrous humanistically and fucking moronic politically.

trembli0s

Oct 28, 2017
Don't a number of Western European countries like Germany already have requirements like this? Honestly curiously about this, not trolling.

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao at this attempt to fuck the most vulnerable people of our society. The disparity between the rich and poor just grows larger by the minute. A shame that this may inflict needless suffering on some of the poorest communities in this country.

Imagine the rich being required to work or do community service just to keep their tax breaks/off shore tax free money. Their would be a mass riot/revolt from the top that would never see such actions implemented. This administration is doing nothing more than bullying the most oppressed in this country while serving and bowing to the wealthiest.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anecdotal but I do know people that are unemployed just because. The system is easy to abuse. Some unemployed just are out skilled, for example the miners we had a thread about some days ago, and won't reinvent themselves. Others just can't find shit which is perfectly understandable and why the system is there, and also for those with disabilities and elderly. There are always two sides to a coin.

well yes, they will always be assholes that make things more difficult for other people

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
My biggest issue tho, is dont just impose work requirements. Offer some job placement assistance. Not just job training. I wish getting a job was as easy as going to the unemployment office and signing up.

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
This seems like a good idea to me. If the people are able bodied then why not give back by working?

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Don't a number of Western European countries like Germany already have requirements like this? Honestly curiously about this, not trolling.
Another point... We shouldn't d be afraid to have counter points or valid questions like this as long as they are not trolling. These are not the old forums where something like this could get you banned if a mod was on the wrong side. Your question is entirely valid.

Protein

Oct 27, 2017
Children need to pull their own weight around from now on. Time for them to get a full-time job and stop leeching of the government.

So, when are my million dollar tax cuts coming?

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, because these people are surely sitting around doing nothing, just living the DREAM of barely getting by on government aid. *sigh*

NoRĂ©N

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Another point... We shouldn't d be afraid to have counter points or valid questions like this as long as they are not trolling. These are not the old forums where something like this could get you banned if a mod was on the wrong side. Your question is entirely valid.
To be fair, old habits die hard.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine the rich being required to work or do community service just to keep their tax breaks/off shore tax free money. Their would be a mass riot/revolt from the top that would never see such actions implemented. This administration is doing nothing more than bullying the most oppressed in this country while serving and bowing to the wealthiest.

I agree with this point as well. True that. This is a whole another problem that the GOP will not touch,and probably neither will the democrats.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
This is perfect news for today. When you don't vote because a person you dont like is running or feel slighted this is the outcome. Terrible, petty shit like this.

You know how that side says migrants are not needed in hospitality and agriculture jobs? They say it because they see a hostage workforce waiting to be exploited.

Vote people. No matter what you think
Vote.

Because i promise you no matter what you think of democrats. If they were in charge this wouldn't be happening.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
Not a bad idea in theory but it will be horribly abused to take advantage of cheap labor and prevent those who can't work from receiving benefits.

Oct 25, 2017
Medicaid requires you to do so much just to get primary care service. Really long wait times and out of the way locations. People aren't just rushing to get it without working.

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, because these people are surely sitting around doing nothing, just living the DREAM of barely getting by on government aid. *sigh*

There are a great number of people who thing this is 100% correct. The strange thing is that a lot of the people who think that way aren't all that far from having to collect themselves. I see it every day in the rural area where I live. People looking down their noses at those less fortunate and wondering why they can't just get a job, or get off drugs, or get themselves together? Because it's not easy and I remind myself daily that I'm just one bad accident or someone else's bad day away from perhaps finding myself on that receiving line.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
A ton of people on Medicaid aren't able to work, they're completely disabled. I really hope that the states asking for these waivers consider that fact before they begin enforcing this requirement.

Last edited:

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Medicaid is meant to expand healthcare for people below an income threshold.

Imposing work requirements, and subsequently kicking people off, does not get more people health insurance.

Oct 28, 2017
Apply the term "soft bigotry" to policy that is actually bigoted against the poor. The Orwellian perversion of language by the right never fails to impress.