• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
schermafbeelding2021-9wjnm.png

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Who was his predecessor ? Congrats on the new position, seems like the team over there was really in need on some new leadership.

Wigdogger

Oct 27, 2017
It probably makes sense, as he's clearly driving the boat there now. But it could just be a contract role for a couple of years. It really depends on what the game ends up being.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Clutching at straws it points to a fruitful few months in charge.

It also hints that perhaps he won't be leaving once the project is shipped, wasn't that the original assumption?

Oct 30, 2017
Staten went over as a favor with his big ol' Halo Bible, dropped that bad boy on the table, and said "y'alls shit is all fucked up."

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
that's honestly great, i hope "Head of Creative" is a real hands on job cause i never heard that job title.

he's great and a huge responsible for good Halo :) i'm quite hyped for Infinite.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Clutching at straws it points to a fruitful few months in charge.

It also hints that perhaps he won't be leaving once the project is shipped, wasn't that the original assumption?
Its gonna be a GaaS and supported for years, so it makes sense that the guys responsible for the final touches sticks around for a bit.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Is this a different position than Creative Director?

Generally speaking this means they oversee all creative crafts and IP work, not directly working on a game themselves. That's what this specific title usually means in bigger places across the industry. Focusing on long term strategy for an IP, making sure each game or media produced from that IP conveys the same tone and follows established IP pillars, adheres to studio standards, that sort of high level stuff.

Obviously different studios and companies have different definitions for these positions, so it could be something else at 343i.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I hope to see Joe stay with 343i, if that's what he truly wants to do. I believe Joe has a real understanding of what made Halo, Halo. The man just oozes with a passion for the series, when you listen to him speak in documentaries from the Bungie days.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Generally speaking this means they oversee all creative crafts and IP work, not directly working on a game themselves. That's what this specific title usually means in bigger places across the industry. Focusing on long term strategy for an IP, making sure each game or media produced from that IP conveys the same tone and follows established IP pillars, adheres to studio standards, that sort of high level stuff.

Obviously different studios and companies have different definitions for these positions, so it could be something else at 343i.
Yeah I was thinking the same. 343i handles all of the franchise themselves im pretty sure, so hed probably now heads the creative direction of the franchise and not just infinite.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hope this isn't a short term thing. Joe should stay with Halo for as long as possible. That is if he wants to of course.

Thank you. I'm confused about the bolded part though. Is it possible to explain this in layman's terms ?

Also anyone know what the difference is in both positions Joe had (creative director vs head of creative) ?
I'm assuming head of creative is a higher position than creative director ?

Last edited:

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Good to hear. 343i can execute gameplay mechanics well, even if they arnt 'Halo'. Everything else has been really really bad for my own tastes.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017

Appreciate the detailed post. I'm asking because he was previously Creative Director, so I'm not sure if his position changed or just the name of the position.

That was project lead.

He was Creative Director, as well: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/inside-infinite-december-2020

After Reach shipped, I became a Halo fan, cheering-on 343i from the sidelines. But I've spent the last four months immersing myself back into the Halo universe, and it's my honor as creative director to help our team ship Halo Infinite in Fall 2021.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
Echoing what others have said: Only if Staten wants to, then he would be a priceless asset to 343, and could really make some great, meaningful changes. I'm already more hyped for Infinite than I was prior, when he came onto the project. And, according to him, the game is shaping up very nicely, especially the campaign.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Good thing he'll have a whole year to work on the project, maybe this will be the first truly great Halo under 343.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
So 500 people are gonna work on halo updates for 10 years?

Would be a fucking waste if that's what they're doing

Bonnie Ross said that the next thing after Infinite is exploring new genres for Halo. There's a lot you can do with the franchise, thanks to its incredible big expanded universe.

But not gonna lie, I'd like to see them creating something new, as well. Always thought that it's a mistake to have 1 studio for 1 franchise.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
Is this a different position than Creative Director?

Maybe, but usually you actually have multiple creatives involved (Creative Director, Associate Creative Director, etc). You could even have several Creative Leads for each part of the project (Campaign, MP, Forge...). This title implies he is now managing all creatives for Halo Infinite, not just acting as Creative Director.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Appreciate the detailed post. I'm asking because he was previously Creative Director, so I'm not sure if his position changed or just the name of the position.

Creative Director is usually the highest creative (design / art) craft position on a game or franchise. Head of Creative usually refers to a studio level position that the Creative Directors in that studio report to.

Again, this may be different in 343, not sure how things are handled over there. :D

Thank you. I'm confused about the bolded part though. Is it possible to explain this in layman's terms ?

Also anyone know what the difference is in both positions Joe had (creative director vs head of creative) ?
I'm assuming head of creative is a higher position than creative director ?

See above.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
So 500 people are gonna work on halo updates for 10 years?

Would be a fucking waste if that's what they're doing
It's supposedly 750 people now and yes they are, that's how many people it takes to support a live game like Infinite is intended to be. Of course they will work on other games but not outside of the Halo IP, Bonnie Ross mentioned spin offs after Infinite.