• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I believe he means the ones that started under this initiative instead of ones that just partially lived under it.

Apparently he was also the person who decided to bring back Sakura Wars.

Satomi-san explained that the company was able to achieve profitability in all regions for the second consecutive year in all business segments, including arcade, smartphone games, pc games, console games, animation, and merchandise. With this foundation that allows achieving stable revenue, Sega is ready to take on new challenges.

Last year, Satomi-san extended two relevant messages to his employees. The first is "let's regain confidence and pride because we have many fans supporting us." The second is "We have to provide exciting content for those fans."
One important element that he aimed to address is that producers would release games only when confident that they're "absolutely a good game or service" whether or not they expect big sales.

Satomi-san believes that the company is managing to regain the trust of consumers, and that commitment to the quality of the product plays a major role in improving earnings performance as well.
In a previous meeting with investors, he explained that Sega will operate four IP axis. The first is existing IP, continuing to create new games in various forms for series like Yakuza or Sonic. The second is the revival of existing IP. The third is new IP, as creating new challenges has always been a value of the Sega group. The motto "creation is life" is part of the publisher's DNA. The fourth axis is working on IP from other companies. Satomi-san admitted that Sega has not been very good at this until now.
Satomi-san concluded by reiterating that Sega is ready for new challenges. He believes that the fiscal year 2018 will be the year in which the publisher will announce things that they have been building up until now. More than ever, he would like fans to look forward to it.
https://www.dualshockers.com/sega-president-new-sakura-wars-shenmue-future/

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
PLEASE INCLUDE SHINOBI.
I need more ninja surfboarders fighting robots!
7Y6lfB2.gif

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
This is such a weird way of saying "we're gonna try to release good games"

Like, were they not trying to before?

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully Sonic is a part of this because Sonic Forces is woof. Sonic is their cash cow and doesn't seem to get the quality assurance it deserves for it being their biggest franchise.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Working on other company IP?

Would that be more about Creative Assembly and the Mario & Sonic team?

They're not really in the licensed games biz are they?

EDIT: Oh wait, Fist of the North Star!

Last edited:

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
You see that second axis?
focus on that one

Streets of Rage Mania
Shinobi Mania
Shining Force Mania

Oct 25, 2017
RISTAR 2 BITCHES

Also more Comix Zone. Hand-drawn animations.

Actually, I have a list. Burning Rangers, Virtua Fighter, Virtua Striker, and I could go on, but yo, DON'T TOUCH NiGHTS ANYMORE. Yuji Naka made a brilliant game and you people made Journey of Dreams in his wake. YOU LEAVE YUJI'S GENIUS ALONE, SEGA.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Since they don't seem to have any internal resource to make quality games anymore:

-New Golden Axe by Vanillaware
-New Shinobi character action game by Platinum Games
-Shining Force 4 by Camelot
-Phantasy Star V by Atlus

Those would be the most easy and almost logical things to do.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope Satomi becomes Sega's Phil Spencer. I like this guy :)

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, Sega has been relatively stellar this generation. Whatever they announce will have my attention.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
Reboots of pretty much all your old IP please, in a world of nostalgia for old games why don't you capitalise

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hyped for Super Monkey Ball Mania.
My favorite part of 2000's sega was the part where Amusement Visions made a perfect ball rolling physics engine that could be used for Sonic and SEGA just murdered them while letting Sonic Team flail their asses and tank the reputation of their largest series.

And by "favorite part" I mean "the part I fucking hate the most about SEGA"

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Before folks get too carried away with wishes, it'll probably be a good idea to look at the poll that led to the Sakurai Taisen revival's full results.

Most hoped revival:
1. Sakura Wars
2. Jet Set Radio
3. Virtual On
4. Shenmue
5. Virtua Fighter
6. Panzer Dragoon
7. Shining Force
8. Skies of Arcadia
9. Streets of Rage
10. NiGHTS into dreams…

Brand you're most invested in: