stopmrdomino

Jun 25, 2023
ss_517ec98fb395b0ee571e8761c2c16987ab81b13f.1920x1080.jpg

what is with these old JRPG re-releases and choosing the most mismatched, generic looking font imaginable

MyDudeMango

Jul 17, 2021
Canada
ss_517ec98fb395b0ee571e8761c2c16987ab81b13f.1920x1080.jpg

what is with these old JRPG re-releases and choosing the most mismatched, generic looking font imaginable
i hate generic hd fonts i hate generic hd fonts i hate generic hd fonts
but no seriously you're right, it really just does not match at all in any of the re-releases it happens for, plus you'd think if they cared enough to make dithering an option a more fitting font would be an option too

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Hm, I don't think they used the Working Designs localisation in their Lunar port, did they? This is another Working Designs release though, so makes me wonder.

OP
OP
Desma

Desma

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Hm, I don't think they used the Working Designs localisation in their Lunar port, did they? This is another Working Designs release, so makes me wonder.
I believe they used the PSP version translation.
Guess we'll see if they'll use Working Designs translation or if they'll make any changes

Ashilyn

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be astounded if this uses the Working Designs localisation given how Vic Ireland gets about their localisations, and I can't see them shelling out to license it. I'll be curious to see how it turns out.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
Cool! I'm glad to see some old-school JRPGs I missed out on getting new releases.

Albert Odyssey, when?

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hm, I don't think they used the Working Designs localisation in their Lunar port, did they? This is another Working Designs release though, so makes me wonder.
I'll be astounded if this uses the Working Designs localisation given how Vic Ireland gets about their localisations, and I can't see them shelling out to license it. I'll be curious to see how it turns out.

As far as Vay goes, I'm pretty sure this is not the Working Designs localization - the protagonist has his original Japanese name of Heibelgar instead of Sandor. It's probably using the same localization as the previous mobile port.

I have a lot of fond nostalgia for this game, mostly for the various battle themes. But it's not an insanely high quality RPG. Still might pick it up cheap.

Apr 24, 2018
Seems outta nowhere. One of the games from around this era that I've always been curious about and interested in trying. May be one of the handful of games that I ever bother to play on PC.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
uZDaOdD.png

Okay that's hilarious. It works on MacOS, but ONLY if you have a 32-bit Mac. This might literally just be a port of the old iPhone version of Vay...

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I remember thinking this wasn't amazing but was still pretty fun on the Sega CD. Will definitely pick it up.

Of course, the big thing is if this means that Lunar will get a Steam port as well.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Does it have a new version of the boat song?

Silver Star Story Touch seems to use the same song as Silver Star Harmony.

Anyone who has a Mac with Apple Silicon can theoretically play Silver Star Story Touch right now on it, on that note. The iOS app can be downloaded on a Mac, although it is not verified as 100% playable. But there's gamepad support so it should work just fine in theory.

duckroll

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Silver Star Story Touch seems to use the same song as Silver Star Harmony.

Anyone who has a Mac with Apple Silicon can theoretically play Silver Star Story Touch right now on it, on that note. The iOS app can be downloaded on a Mac, although it is not verified as 100% playable. But there's gamepad support so it should work just fine in theory.
Thanks! Is there a reason why these games are somehow only available easily on iOS?

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
I played both Working Design Lunar's on Sega CD but never got to play Vay. I'll keep an eye on it and added to Wish List for now. Always wanted to give it a try.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
I remember thinking this wasn't amazing but was still pretty fun on the Sega CD. Will definitely pick it up.

Of course, the big thing is if this means that Lunar will get a Steam port as well.
They went all out for it, with foil and embossing on the paper slip and everything. I remember seeing stuff like it on the shelves as a kid and feeling like the future was here.

Working Designs was also weird where they include translator notes and stuff at the end of the instruction manual discussing their localization choices but then also have a reputation for just doing whatever the hell they felt like.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! Is there a reason why these games are somehow only available easily on iOS?

I have no clue, or well.. kinda... I also don't know if I'd really consider them "available easily on iOS" tho, or at least right now anyhow.

This company, SoMoGa, released Vay on iPhone years ago (2008) with a localization that was different than the old Working Designs localization. Their old version of Vay on iPhone was basically rendered unplayable when 32-bit iOS apps were no longer supported. According to their website, they have a NEW updated version of Vay that will be coming out for both mobile and Steam, which is what this listing is. This new version of Vay will also appear on mobile later with all the new features as well. Doesn't really explain why they're releasing a Mac version on Steam that's 32-bit in 2024 of all things tho.

At some point (2012 or so?) they released Lunar: Silver Star Story Touch on iOS, which is basically Silver Star Story but apparently with Harmony's dub. They've been on and off updating it, and about the same time they released Lunar: Silver Star Story Touch on Android they also did a massive update to the iOS/iPadOS version as well to add features like having the difficulty from the Japanese Saturn release of Lunar, controller support, and the original UI if you also want to use controllers. If you have a Mac with Apple Silicon (M1/M2/M3 of any kind), you can play this version on your Mac right now even though it's "not verified for MacOS."

I'm guessing this new release of Vay may also appear on Android, whenever it also appears on iOS.

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing makes me itchy quite like non-pixelated fonts on pixelated games
Yeah, this is the case for me. it's like raisins in cookies, I'll eat them if it's the only option, but only then. In cases like these I'd much, much rather it just look like the original. Just let me buy a ROM.

Snake2024

May 15, 2024
That makes it likely that we will also see Lunar Silver Star Story Touch on steam which they have been releasing updates for 10 years now. That would be great. Maybe even console versions after that?

Here is the website of SoMoGa:

Kazer

"This guy are sick"
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played this on iOS ages ago. It was ok. Kinda surprised to see it getting ported.

twinturbo2

Oct 27, 2017
Jupiter, FL
uZDaOdD.png

Okay that's hilarious. It works on MacOS, but ONLY if you have a 32-bit Mac. This might literally just be a port of the old iPhone version of Vay...
I don't think this bodes well for the quality.

Japanese companies are literally sitting on a treasure trove of classic games they can rerelease on Steam and most of them don't take the opportunity, it's baffling.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
I thought that was Working Design's BS on how they "improve" the difficulty on the games they published? That boss was much more manageable on the iOS version I've played years ago.

Nope, they never said that about the wind boss. They did say it about a bunch of other games, though, like Silhouette Mirage. The wind boss was a bug that got missed, plain and simple.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
uZDaOdD.png

Sometimes this happens by mistake because the devs didn't set up the metadata properly on Steam I think, its happened before with games that totally work on 64bit systems. It could be 32bit only but that would be a bit mad.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I used to gawk at the ads for this game reading EGM. in retrospect looks like a pretty boiler plate jrpg but i'll give a go on steam, why not

Ingueferroque

Banned
Dec 26, 2023
New York, NY
No Steam Achievement support? Or maybe they don't show up on the store listing yet?
The mobile UI hurts to see, if Lunar games ever come to Steam I hope we get them from a better publisher.

Last edited:

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes this happens by mistake because the devs didn't set up the metadata properly on Steam I think, its happened before with games that totally work on 64bit systems. It could be 32bit only but that would be a bit mad.

Maybe. Although the game also says in the system requirements that it supports Windows 7, and that it has partial support for an Xbox Controller. I'm betting on this being a very half-hearted port before anything else. After all, why would you go through the effort for VAY of all things? (Well, I guess someone like myself would, but I'm blinded by nostalgia from childhood.)

Humorously, it says it supports SteamOS + Linux too. Native Steam Deck support perhaps?

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think this bodes well for the quality.

Japanese companies are literally sitting on a treasure trove of classic games they can rerelease on Steam and most of them don't take the opportunity, it's baffling.
It is kind of weird...but look how even a company like Square-Enix, with a huge amount of skin in the game, seems to disregard or misunderstand the PC gaming market.

However, there IS a bunch of Sega Genesis games on Steam for like literally $3 each, and nobody ever seems to talk about it.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Wasn't this game a grindfest? I remember people complaining about that. There is even a romhack that reduces it to 1/4 because it was so bad

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
I played the original during its run on the Sega CD. This is the most basic of basic JPGs really. Gameplay is pure, vanilla attack, magic defend item.

The setting is quite unique though and the story does have its charms. I don't think the working designs localization would have aged well even though I completely loved it as a child. They made a lot of choices. For example, there's a wind fairy that transports you to a shrine elsewhere in the world. in the working designs localization her wind powers come from farting. I don't actually know, but I'm pretty sure that's not in the original. You need to find or buy "gas masks" before you can successfully make the trip.

To address the comment above: yes this game was a complete and total grind fest. As a kid, I loved it because it gave hours of playtime.