Twinduct

Oct 27, 2017
Total War Warhammer 3 DLC, but they are comically understaffed for that (they confessed that they have literally only one person working on the game's numerous bugs) and the latest DLC was received horribly by the community.

Insane how weird they have been with TW:WH3. Also insane how quickly they erode their goodwill with the community. Really hoping they either pump up the content pipeline or bring the price more in line with their efforts.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
O, right. So what other games European studios released in last 12 months then? I can't imagine Total War or Football Manager sales were disappointing.
The latest DLC for Total War Warhammer 3 had significantly worse sales than the previous ones (and caused the community to be up in arms against CA).

The preorders for Pharaoh are also probably terrible, there is zero hype for the game.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
I'm a Creative Assembly stan, but let's be honest.

HYENAS was like 5 years too late. Extraction mechanics sure, but they came late to a genre that's going to be flooded and where there's little chance of success.
At least based on previews I've seen, Hyenas looked like a flawed game to begin with, where it seemed like every match would have been mostly about teams competing about which team gets to camp the exit.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
The preorders for Pharaoh are also probably terrible, there is zero hype for the game.
Well maybe don't set a game in bronze age collapse and not include half the civilizations that were affected by the crisis. The scope of the game is so limited while the price has increased.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
Why does the region where the dev sits matter for a GAAS game you would sell to people worldwide?

I don't know for sure but I would guess that wages and office rental costs in Europe are more expensive than in some other studios. PArticularly if they have any support work done in SE Asia.

So if you are looking at cost/hour basis, you make more savings shaving down your European work forces.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, they can be glad it happened now when they still have time to salvage their actually successful service game.

Nah, this is horseshit because obviously the people working on a multiplayer FPS aren't the same people who would be working on other, more typical, CA games. One does not necessarily preclude the work done on another.

Best of luck that as few people as possible there lose their jobs.

Edit: Also, yeah, it's weird this thing was basically almost ready to go out wide and they cut it off at the 11th hour. Bummer!

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Well maybe don't set a game in bronze age collapse and not include half the civilizations that were affected by the crisis. The scope of the game is so limited while the price has increased.
Someone at Sega decided they can sell "Saga" game as full version.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, Hyenas was 6 years in dev? I hope the best for the devs.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Hyenas didnt look good to me, but it seemed like it was almost complete? They could have tried the normal live service thing and attempt to make it better one year

Celestial Descend

Corrupted by Vengeance
Aug 15, 2022
Everyone's been giving SE shit, but Sega might be even more mismanaged. Their non-videogame business is not doing so good either.

dodo667418

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 28, 2017
What the actual fuck. They just had a pretty big presence for Hyenas at gamescom and held a beta. I thought it was quite decent and felt polished enough to go live soon, if only as some Early Access title or whatever.

But to completely cancel the game? What? Does that really make sense financially? I get that they would have to commit to keeping it alive at least for a few months, but the initial sales would at least recoup some of the costs, even if it didn't sell much, no?

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn you don't see this often, a game getting canned so close to, or at least felt close, to full release. Wonder what prompted them to cancel it. Like what metrics did they see that made this game not a viable option to continue.

Dec 4, 2017
HYENAS was like 5 years too late.
This, honestly. Hero shooters are old news now, and having a quirky cast isn't really a selling point (as many hero shooters not called Overwatch have painfully discovered).

And they also had several underperformers. CoH3 was considered by many a step back from 2 (at least the full version of 2), Humankind's culture jump mechanic was almost universally disliked, and I genuinely don't understand why they would treat their biggest cash cow (the Total War brand) the way they did.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Sega generally also seems to have some mismanagement issues, especially looking how they tanked their reputation on PC IPs.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
Sega's recent success is, at least by "perception" on gaming communities, mostly based on Atlus efforts.

Even Sonic Frontiers, a game that sold very well, received mixed reviews and is - to my opinion - some kind of half (2/3?) baked experience which pales in comparison to any recent Mario game.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Nah, this is horseshit because obviously the people working on a multiplayer FPS aren't the same people who would be working on other, more typical, CA games. One does not necessarily preclude the work done on another.

Best of luck that as few people as possible there lose their jobs.

Edit: Also, yeah, it's weird this thing was basically almost ready to go out wide and they cut it off at the 11th hour. Bummer!
Certain jobs are not compatible between a shooter and a strategy game, but others, such as bug fixing, definitely are.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whaaaat? I haven't been following Hyenas closely, but I thought it was close to launch??

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Creative Assembly are one of the greatest Real Time / Grand Strategy developers in the history of the industry. There are better Real Time Strategy developers, there are better Grand Strategy developers, but there is no studio out there that combines the two like Creative Assembly did and does.

Having them work on a "hero-based, multiplayer extraction shooter" was a mistake from day zero, and it's baffling it took until almost release for the plug to be pulled.

Such a waste of talent.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Creative Assembly are one of the greatest Real Time / Grand Strategy developers in the history of the industry. There are better Real Time Strategy developers, there are better Grand Strategy developers, but there is no studio out there that combines the two like Creative Assembly did and does.

Having them work on a "hero-based, multiplayer extraction shooter" was a mistake from day zero, and it's baffling it took until almost release for the plug to be pulled.

Such a waste of talent.
On Reddit they reminded me that when HYENAS was announced they said in an interview "we are going to do for the hero shooter what we did for survival horror."

They were right, in a way.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
It's weird to suggest that CA is so good at one thing that it's weird and bad that they even try to branch out when they made one of the best first-person horror games of all time in Alien fucking Isolation.

And even if they hadn't let studios *try something*, Christ.

Mikch85

May 12, 2018
I suppose that's why you never cancel projects, even if their state is worrying. You might as well try to cut your losses through some sales and amortization. Reporting a 90M€ loss is going to hurt badly.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
Was the rumor that Alien Isolation 2 is in development solid? And if it's true anyone thinks it's going to be cancelled?

Oct 27, 2017
Is this a 'Batgirl' situation where they can write off the costs of development as long as they don't release it?

Certain jobs are not compatible between a shooter and a strategy game, but others, such as bug fixing, definitely are.

Actually, pretty much all roles are transferable (there's not many people who only work on a single genre of games in their career). It's just if you've got an entire team's worth of people, you can't just fold them into an existing project and expect it to speed up development (quite the opposite in fact). Though the grim reality is that even if Sega had confidence in the game and Hyenas did release, there would likely be mass layoffs anyway, as studios only need a fraction of the headcount when one project scales down and the next is in pre-production.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy to me that a game is cancelled so late in development.

Surely it makes more sense to release it with minimum viable support and recoup anything you can, rather than bin it and get no income at all?

GreenKing1979

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
It's crazy to me that a game is cancelled so late in development.

Surely it makes more sense to release it with minimum viable support and recoup anything you can, rather than bin it and get no income at all?
Who in their right mind would buy into a game that is at deaths door right from launch?

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Feel extremely bad for CA and SEGA Europe in general. This is a major blow, probably the most significant cancellation in SEGA's entire history. I assume the recent hints that the game's pay model might change did not end up working out. Sometimes it is just impossible to turn a paid game into a f2p model.

Hopefully much of what is here can be utilized into some other game eventually.

I'm losing my job because of this today too. See you all on the other side.
I am so terribly sorry dude, always loved to hear your insight. Best of luck in your future.

Sega's recent success is, at least by "perception" on gaming communities, mostly based on Atlus efforts.

Even Sonic Frontiers, a game that sold very well, received mixed reviews and is - to my opinion - some kind of half (2/3?) baked experience which pales in comparison to any recent Mario game.
Atlus really, really is not as big as people are thinking here. Despite this unfortunate situation Creative Assembly is SEGA's biggest studio and will continue to be even if they have to go through massive layoffs.

Comparing mainline Mario to basically any game is a bad idea, Sonic Frontiers is an extremely successful game that genuinely has the fanbase excited for the future of the franchise in a way I have not seen since the Dreamcast days. The game currently sits at an unusually high Steam review percentage. Above several recent Atlus releases, too.

RelaxedOtter

Oct 27, 2017

Such a waste of talent.

The remnants of the Alien: Isolation/Halo Wars 2 team - aka the console team at CA - went on to work on Hyenas, that team never had anything to do with the TW strategy games.