• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Sega had a banger of a year. I could snark about ports and remixes but, at the end of the day, Sega got those amazing 80%+ MC games out to more people on more platforms.

Good for them. You love to see it.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
For anyone curious,

#2 is Annapurna Interactive
#3 is Capcom
#4 is Sony
#5 is Activision Blizzard
#6 is Microsoft

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Happy to see. Yakuza: LAD was a really fun game and P5R is one of my favorites. Still waiting to get Sakura Wars as it's still full price on the PS Store….

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Kiwami 2 is somewhat overrated going solely by its MC score... 7 is a vastly better game in every way. But then again, I'm coming from a mindshare where I've played both OG2 and Kiwami 2 several times and I just cant agree that Kiwami 2 does all that much better than OG2 - not when it cuts content/music and replaces it with worse alternatives, ruins the combat by reusing 6's combat (while putting nowhere near enough effort into fixing the glaring issues 6 has) etc. but still, I suppose if you have no exposure to the original (or prefer Kiwami 2), the score makes sense.

Yakuza 0 is overrated, worst Yakuza.
No its not. I have issues with Yakuza 0 being overrated (it is, no doubt, from other games doing certain content better, other games having better casts of characters, 0 flanderising a long standing character to the point where people play Kiwami and complain about how the character acting normally is suddenly strange or wrong...) but at the same time its not possible that its the worst Yakuza either - its still a solid game, has a decent story, implements new combat ideas well, solid mini game list, great soundtrack, excellent characters, nice choice of time period, and aside from JCC - a great collection of side content/stories. It also smooths over certain concepts from Ishin and improves on them (the friendship gauges not being painful grinds for one).

VXLbeast

Nov 28, 2017
Wow, that's a solid list, pretty wild to see Sega with such a great line-up. Would love to see them firing on all cylinders again.

As others have done, I'd like to shout out 13 Sentinels. Was a blast.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Sakura wars worth playing? What's that game like?
It's a cringey dating simulator with terrible dialogue, quests and occasional uninteresting action combat that has insanely bland environments.

Honestly it's aggressively mediocre at best and creepy at worst. It has fantastic art, graphics and music though.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
LOTS of ports/re-releases there, but the new titles are definitely solid. Well done in a rough year

jaffaro

Banned
Mar 16, 2018
That list is Total bullshit. How can you include games like Persona 4 Golden or Yakuza titles when these games are just ports of games made years ago.
It's quite unfair for other publishers.

chivibowie

Feb 14, 2019
A few things to comment
1. All companies do re-releases, either late multiplatform (Yakuza) or rescuing other games to improve them and add extras (Sega Ages). And that, my friends, Sega is usually the best behaved company. I still get chills having experienced things like the Silent Hills remasters or Devil May Cry...And I seem to remember that the compilation of Mario 64, Sunshine etc. is not known for its quality either.
2. The Anglo-Saxon sphere may not care, but for European countries, that Persona 5 Royal was translated makes the Vanilla version a different (and inferior) game.
3. I see in the forum a certain tendency to say that Sega Japan is the weak part of the company (lol). But from what I see, except for Sakura Wars, the Japanese stuff usually has better scores. Besides releasing more games.
4. I also think Sakura Wars deserves something more. I had a great time, better than with Yakuza 7 in fact (I played them at the same time at Christmas).

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
Mostly just re releases and barely any of the new games is made by Sega Japan, but still cool that they did those re releases and didn't keep them in just one console
Panzer Dragon wasn't published by them though, just licensed it iirc

Apr 21, 2018
A few things to comment
1. All companies do re-releases, either late multiplatform (Yakuza) or rescuing other games to improve them and add extras (Sega Ages). And that, my friends, Sega is usually the best behaved company. I still get chills having experienced things like the Silent Hills remasters or Devil May Cry...And I seem to remember that the compilation of Mario 64, Sunshine etc. is not known for its quality either.
2. The Anglo-Saxon sphere may not care, but for European countries, that Persona 5 Royal was translated makes the Vanilla version a different (and inferior) game.
3. I see in the forum a certain tendency to say that Sega Japan is the weak part of the company (lol). But from what I see, except for Sakura Wars, the Japanese stuff usually has better scores. Besides releasing more games.

Plus, people blaming Sega for ports don't see the big picture:

Sega released more distinct titles than Annapurna #2, Capcom #3, Activision #5, Aksys #7 combined...

In other words, they released more games than most of the publishers of the top 10 combined. (speaking of ports, Square Enix released tons of them and still isn't in the top 10...)

Cannot say it's unfair for other publishers since most of them didn't even release 10 games in 2020 (7 for Anapurna, 8 for Capcom) and put all their efforts on that tiny number...

chivibowie

Feb 14, 2019

Plus, people blaming Sega for ports don't see the big picture:

Sega released more distinct titles than Annapurna #2, Capcom #3, Activision #5, Aksys #7 combined...

In other words, they released more games than most of the publishers of the top 10 combined. (speaking of ports, Square Enix released tons of them and still isn't in the top 10...)

Cannot say it's unfair for other publishers since most of them didn't even release 10 games in 2020 (7 for Anapurna, 8 for Capcom) and put all their efforts on that tiny number...
Yes, I always get the feeling that no matter how well certain companies do, in the end it's never enough for many people xD

It should not be forgotten that Sega of Japan is in the middle of a very serious restructuring. Quite a lot they have launched this year in the middle of the pandemic.

Here is the list of games from the first message sorted by division

Sega of Japan
(New releases)
- Puyo Puyo Tetris 2
- Yakuza Like a Dragon
- Hatsune Miku - Project Diva Mega Mix
- Sakura Wars
- Phantasy Star Online 2 (western version - doesn´t appear in metacritic)

Sega Ages (Sega of Japan + M2)
- Sega Ages: Fantasy Zone
- Sega Ages: Sonic 2
- Sega Ages: Shinobi
- Sega Ages: Thunderforce AC
- Sega Ages: Puyo Puyo 2
- Sega Ages: G-LOC Air Battle

Ports
- Yakuza 0
- Yakuza Kiwami
- Yakuza Kiwami 2
- Yakuza 3
- Yakuza 4
- Yakuza 5
- Bayonetta/Vanquish

Atlus (subsidiary of Sega of Japan)
(New release)
- Persona 5 Royal

Ports
- Persona 4 Golden (PC)
- Catherine Full Body (Switch)

Vanillaware (Atlus)
- 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim

Sega of Europe
- Total War: Troy
- Total War: Three Kingdoms (3 expansions, the main game is from 2019)
- Football Manager 2021
- Two Point Hospital

Last edited:

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
It is one of my top games of last year. The series is traditionally like a 'reverse Valkyria', where the side content and slice of life events are the majority and the combat is a distant extra. A lot of the side content in Sakura Wars is comparable to Yakuza as well, and I believe some of the substory team from Ryu ga Gotoku Studios even assisted with this new one too.

It is a pretty unique series, but it is hard to really know if you like it without just trying one out yourself. If you are a fan of visual novels I would say it is worth a shot.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
It is one of my top games of last year. The series is traditionally like a 'reverse Valkyria', where the side content and slice of life events are the majority and the combat is a distant extra. A lot of the side content in Sakura Wars is comparable to Yakuza as well, and I believe some of the substory team from Ryu ga Gotoku Studios even assisted with this new one too.

It is a pretty unique series, but it is hard to really know if you like it without just trying one out yourself. If you are a fan of visual novels I would say it is worth a shot.
I liked the wii Sakura Wars game, but as I have no ps4 (or ps5) anymore, I can't play this one yet. I remember liking the srpg gameplay though, so I'm unsure how well I would like the full new game. I got to try a demo before selling my ps4 pro (to save money for a ps5, but I bought an xbox series x instead), and the graphics were great imo.

Apr 21, 2018
...barely any of the new games is made by Sega Japan
It's pretty cool they have strong western studios. Nothing unnatural either since Sega was created by Japan and America :) (US companies like Gremlins were developping games for Sega in the late 70's/early 80's. Situation didn't change that much). Even Sega of Japan (90's) received mixed blood from Enix, Namco, Wolf Team...so it's fine if Atlus (SOJ 2020) is doing a good job, it's still Sega.

RiZ IV

Oct 27, 2017
Missing their best title: Streets of Rage 4. I guess it wasn't published by them which is a shame.

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
Alien: Isolation deserved so much more recognition and acclaim. It's the most faithful video-game adaptation I've ever experienced and truly one of the best games ever.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Just to echo this
It is one of my top games of last year. (...) It is a pretty unique series, but it is hard to really know if you like it without just trying one out yourself. If you are a fan of visual novels I would say it is worth a shot.
It was my first Sakura Wars game and I loved every moment of it. First game in a long time that I kept playing even after beating it.

Some people have strong opinions against games with romance options, focus on VN elements etc. For instance, if you think that modern Fire Emblem is a trash dating sim borderline eroge, can't stand VNs such as Fate/stay night, and hate games with too much emphasis on slice of life moments, then by all means avoid SW. The high points of SW are presentation, artwork, music and characters. When in battle, it has a very simple musou-like gameplay that I found serviceable and fun. Similarly to Yakuza, it is really hard to describe SW - Yakuza is not a great brawler, and what makes it shine is the unusual combination of setting, minigames, humor, and characters. SW offers another unique combination of elements with a gorgeous presentation, which makes it an endearing game for many of us.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I live Sega but there is almost not 3 new games on that list. Ports shouldn't count. Eh, I'm still waiting for the Sega I grew up with to come back.

Apr 21, 2018
I live Sega but there is almost not 3 new games on that list. Ports shouldn't count. Eh, I'm still waiting for the Sega I grew up with to come back.
It will be complicated.

"According to Mark Cerny, Sega was a sweatshop. Most of the time, the game only had 3 months development, and 3 main developers." (Sega Retro)

In a world where AAA are developped by 200 to 800 people, i highly doubt the old Sega would survive a long time :/.
Sega did release tons of new IPs during the 7th gen, nobody bought them back then (especially the old Sega fans). Those ignored games finally got recognition with the current (begged) ports...

You'll have new games soon (Human kind, Virtua Fighter esport, Re Fantasy) but don't expect the insane amount we got with the genesis. It's impossible. (look at rockstar, 3 GTA on PS2, no new GTA on PS4... 1 new game from Capcom in 2020.That's the 8th gen)

Apr 21, 2018
Yes, Sega is weak af compared to old Sega in terms of fresh output.
True but it's useless to compare since games were made with 5 to 20 people in the 90's... Same fate for almost all publishers. (i repeat, Capcom released only 8 games in 2020)

RDR2: 8 years, 800 employees...

Finally, Sega fans didn't buy any new Sega IP during the 7th gen and now some are pointing out the lack of new IP...

At least, we don't have the Sega of America crappy games from Kalinske or Jeffery era anymore.

Discontent

May 25, 2018
True but it's useless to compare since games were made with 5 to 20 people in the 90's... Same fate for almost all publishers. (i repeat, Capcom released only 8 games in 2020)

RDR2: 8 years, 800 employees...

Finally, Sega fans didn't buy any new Sega IP during the 7th gen and now some are pointing out the lack of new IP...

At least, we don't have the Sega of America crappy games from Kalinske or Jeffery era anymore.
True, obviously I'm happy they're doing well. It's just the way the industry has gone that Sega isn't giving us all the juicy goodness anymore lol.

Apr 21, 2018
True, obviously I'm happy they're doing well. It's just the way the industry has gone that Sega isn't giving us all the juicy goodness anymore lol.
I have good hope for 9th gen.
I think Haruki's plan was :

#stop the crappy games for the 8th gen (check)

#producing real AAA for the 9th gen
(huge project from Creative Assembly, bigger than Isolation, huge New RPG from Atlus, PSO New Genesis, Virtua Fighter esport et cetera)