• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ashilyn

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, this is crushing to me

I'll reiterate what I wrote on Twitter just now:

I can't overstate how gutted I am with this news. She worked on, directed, and produced some of the most important games of my life I think most people these days will know her from producing Skies of Arcadia, or the 7th Dragon games, as well as producing the most recent Sega Ages games.

In my heart, she'll always be Phoenix Rie, the woman who shaped Phantasy Star's world, visual style, and characters.

Phantasy Star is the first game I ever remember playing, and it's visual style and the decision to make it a science fantasy story with a female lead, all of which she helped design, instilled in me a lifelong love of science fantasy that I still hold on to to this day. She also directed Phantasy Star IV, which to this day is still my favourite game of the 16 bit era, with a story and universe that once more impacted how I approach my own fiction, tabletop, & general writing. It is one of my favourite experiences ever, & I will never forget it.

Her accomplishments, of course, extend beyond that. She worked on Alex Kidd and Fantasy Zone II. She directed the Saturn Magic Knight Rayearth game, also a game I love and adore. And of course, there's Skies of Aracdia. Her accomplishments in the industry are innumerable. She helped advanced women in the industry immensely. She was incredibly talented, and she will forever hold a place in my heart as one of the creatives that shaped me. Rest in peace, Reiko.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
She was a videogame legend.

RIP.

EDIT: I will be playing Alex Kidd in Miracle World and Phantasy Star 1 in her honour today.

Thank you for all the fun you've provided us, Rieko Kodama.

Last edited:

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is an especially hard one for me, I was that weirdo who was into Phantasy Star instead of the Final Fantasy games as a kid, and her work on Sega games is pretty much my childhood. And the glorious Skies of Arcadia, cannot forget that.

I will raise Alis's sword in PSO2: NGS in her honor tonight.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Terrible news. RIP Reiko. You were an inspiration to us all. Truly one of the greatest game developers in our industry, and I am very saddened that I will never be able to play another new work from you.

Apr 24, 2018
RIP - very sad to hear and 59 is far too young. Skies of Arcadia left an indelible mark on me and is an all-time classic that I will always stan an every opportunity.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I thought I missed some big news but they kept this silent for months. And I had no idea she directed Magic Knight Rayearth. I really enjoyed it, so much it got me to watch the show and read the manga. RIP

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
Huge bummer. She never got to make her dream game...

Oh!
(Kodama) I wanted to make an RPG or adventure game targeted at women. That was before mobile games got really popular, so it would have been a fairly niche product. But these days you can enjoy games on a smart phone that you already have, and some of them even have anime adaptations. The era of a lot of women having fun with games also has already arrived. But even so, I'd like to make something women would like that involves media outside of games, if I ever have a chance. Since I've worked mostly on nothing but titles targeting men up until now (Laughs)

What would you like to try doing that isn't related to work?

(Kodama) I'd like to try doing something I wanted to do when I was a young, but couldn't. I've always enjoyed history, so I'd still like to get more into that. I was thinking about doing that when I retired from game development.

So many collagues worked with her, Hayashida, Ohba, Naka, Suzuki, Tanaka... heck Mark Cerny might have known her from the 80's. A Post-mortem down the road see,s good like with another Sega employee (Takeo Iwata), but it seems that the wish of the family was to keep it on the quiet side.

RIP

Last edited:

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
News also broke in Japan via Famitsu:

www.famitsu.com

セガの小玉理恵子氏が逝去。『ファンタシースター』やメガドラ版『ソニック・ザ・ヘッジホッグ』、Switch版『SEGA AGES』など手掛ける | ゲーム・エンタメ最新情報のファミ通.com

『ファンタシースター』や『ソニック・ザ・ヘッジホッグ』(メガドラ版)などを手掛け、Switch版『SEGA AGES』ではプロデューサー兼ディレクターを担当した小玉理恵子氏が2022年5月9日(月)に逝去していることが判明した。享年59歳。

kdoll08

Oct 25, 2017
This saddened me to see the thread just now. I was a master system kid first growing up and Phantasy Star was my introduction to jrpg's. Skies of Arcadia and PSO were the best things I played on Dreamcast. She had such a history at Sega and 59 is too young. The world is a worse place with your absence.

The Awesomest

Mar 3, 2018
I wonder if it would be possible to request a thread title change to reflect the news of Kodama's passing, rather than just how it was mentioned in a cameo.

kdoll08

Oct 25, 2017

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
Excellent interview from famitsu from when she won the GDC Pioneer award in 2019

s.famitsu.com

GDC アワード パイオニア賞受賞記念インタビュー、セガゲームス 小玉理恵子氏がゲーム開発に刻んだ足跡を振り返る | ゲーム・エンタメ最新情報のファミ通.com

GDC アワードでパイオニア賞を受賞したセガ・ゲームス小玉理恵子氏にインタビューを実施。その足跡を振り返る。

Also has a full accurate list of her body of work

Champion Boxing (Designer)
Ninja Princess (Designer)
Quartet (Designer)
Alex Kidd's Miracle World (Designer)
Double Target Cynthia's Sleep (Designer)
Fantasy Zone II Opa Opa Tears (Designer)
Phantasy Star (Designer)
Beast King (Designer) )
Alex Kidd Castle in the Sky (Designer)
Phantasy Star II At the End of the Time of No Return (Designer)
Shadow Dancer The Secret of Shinobi (Designer)
Sonic the Hedgehog (Designer)
Phantasy Star Millennium End ni (Designer and Team Leader)
Magic Knight Rayearth (Director)
DEEP FEAR (Producer)
Eternal Arcadia (Producer)
Eternal Arcadia Legend (Producer)
Beast King -PROJECT ALTERED BEAST- (Producer)
Supervised by Dr. Kenichiro Motegi, Sony Computer Science Laboratories Brain A pleasant aha experience! (Producer)
Supervised by Dr. Kenichiro Motegi, Sony Computer Science Laboratories Pleasure in the brain Experience aha with everyone! (Producer)
Takashi Saito's Three Color Ballpoint Pen Masterpiece School (Producer)
Seventh Dragon (Producer)
7th Dragon 2020 (Producer)
7th Dragon 2020-II (Producer)
SEGA AGES (Nintendo Switch version Lead Producer and Director)

Mark Cerny

Oct 28, 2017

So many collagues worked with her, Hayashida, Ohba, Naka, Suzuki, Tanaka... heck Mark Cerny might have known her from the 80's. A Post-mortem down the road see,s good like with another Sega employee (Takeo Iwata), but it seems that the wish of the family was to keep it on the quiet side.

RIP
I did know her, we were both in the same giant Master System bullpen in Tokyo. She was amazing... and it was such a pleasure to watch her career over the years, so happy when the GDC presented her the Pioneer Award.

Had no idea she'd passed, always thought we'd have a chance to chat again. I'm crying now.

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Rest in peace

She made incredible games. I have a lot of respect for what she achieved.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I did know her, we were both in the same giant Master System bullpen in Tokyo. She was amazing... and it was such a pleasure to watch her career over the years, so happy when the GDC presented her the Pioneer Award.

Had no idea she'd passed, always thought we'd have a chance to chat again. I'm crying now.

Deepest condolences

Jul 7, 2021

My heartfelt condolences Mark.

Could've sworn she was an artist on Castle of Illusion too, but maybe I'm mistaken

You're probably confusing her with Emiko Yamamoto.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

RIP

It's unfortunate that she never got to make that game🙁She's still so young...

I had a Sega Genesis as a kid so Phantasy Star IV was the JRPG that made me love the genre. I think I'll give that game a replay soon, along with finishing PS1 on Switch.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

My deepest condolences as well Mark.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia

I'm so sorry.

Thank you for this comment, it has reminded me to reach out more and talk with old friends. I always think I'll have more time…

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I was excited for the Genesis Mini 2 release, have both the US and Japanese versions on their way from Amazon Japan. Then I read this. ;_;

What a Legend.

My condolences go out to her family and loved ones, she will most definitely be missed.

Sep 12, 2018
I had an interview with her 18 years ago.

At the time people at Sega as well as herself seemed surprised because interview requests was for people like Naka, Nagoshi, Mizuguchi etcetera.

RIP legend

| TrusT |

Apr 19, 2020
Thank you Rieko.

FgDjZCAaAAAxiMG

Last edited:

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
RIP and thanks for your games, loved many of the games she worked on.