• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Current projects: Hokuto Go Gotoku, Shin Yakuza

should change to Judge Eyes

It's a new series born from Yakuza.

neoJABES

Dec 23, 2017
Wow at that list of games from 2002. What a year.

2018 was the best year Sega has had in a long time.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
that crime in humanity that Sega AM2 has been relegated to now...

AM2 was once as premiere and Nintendo EAD

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Are SEGA CS1 and CS2 the real names of the Ryu Ga Gotoku Studios and Sonic Team or they are sub division witchin those?

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Hey. Sega promised a mad year for fans. Can we expect a final big announcement for December ? Or Panzer Dragoon Remakes were the last exciting partnerships of 2018 ?
It was a super exciting year? VC4, Shenmue remasters, Panzer Dragoon remasters, new Sakura Taisen announced, Phantasy Star Idola announced and released (as much as I don't want it, the staff list is stacked), Judge Eyes announced and released, Yakuza 6 and Kiwami 2 for the West, Fist of the North Star, Sega Ages, etc.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Generations and especially Colors are honestly barely even 3D games. I also think that if Generations were to come out now after Mania people would be a lot less forgiving.

Colors was kind of a fluke anyways IMO. I do not like the game myself so I guess I am not the target demographic anyways.

The director and lead game designer for Colors is also the director and/or lead designer for both of the Storybook games, Lost World, and Forces.
I don't actually dislike Colors (gameplay notwithstanding), but I'd say it's a textbook example of a fluke in light of that track record.

It was a super exciting year? VC4, Shenmue remasters, Panzer Dragoon remasters, new Sakura Taisen announced, Phantasy Star Idola announced and released (as much as I don't want it, the staff list is stacked), Judge Eyes announced and released, Yakuza 6 and Kiwami 2 for the West, Fist of the North Star, Sega Ages, etc.

There's also the Sega Genesis mini announcement, Shenmue I and II re-released (although that was a pretty buggy port job, could had been handled better) and Streets of Rage 4's announcement (although Sega's not directly producing it).

OP
OP
Dooble

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
Are SEGA CS1 and CS2 the real names of the Ryu Ga Gotoku Studios and Sonic Team or they are sub division witchin those?

Sonic Team and RGG Studios are sub divisions/team labels. But CS1 might as well be Ryu Ga Gotoku Studios.

Personally I would want more console staff located to AM2 or AM1 for console or PC projects. But the west didn't even get Border Break, so...

Sep 28, 2018
I regard this as excellent news. Sonic Team have not been making good Sonic Games in years... I feel like Colours and Generations were total flukes... Hopefully whoever tackles modern Sonic games from now on has an entirely different approach. And of course we can keep getting games like Sonic Mania!

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Colors and Generations, both either matched or exceeded Mania's last known figures. since then we had Lost World, 3 Boom games of questionable quality at best, and the half-baked Forces.

essentially, 3D Sonic works and sells, provided they don't fuck it up.

Eh, sort of. The thing about those colours and generations numbers is they're combining two entirely different games under the name. The 3d entry as well as the handheld ds/3ds game.

For context, The 3ds game was among the best selling on the console in the year it launched too, (the neogaf NPD thread for launch month put it at ~ 250k just for america alone and it was the best selling third party 3ds game at the time.) And is included in those numbers.

It's not a one sided split for colours either. In America the DS game made the top 10 selling games for the year on that console, while the Wii game didn't manage the same.
http://www.tssznews.com/2011/02/07/npd-sonic-colors-9th-best-selling-new-ds-release-of-2010-in-us/

Just keep.in mind A significant chunk of those sales for both games aren't actually for the full 3d entries.

OP
OP
Dooble

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys, I just noticed this thread since it got floated up, and wanted to point out that some of the info in the OP is a couple years out of date and is more accurate for SEGA circa 2013 or so, not 2018 (going on 2019). Just hitting the broad strokes, CS3 doesn't exist anymore (absorbed into the other two studios), and the current heads of CS1 and CS2 are Sato-san and Kasahara-san, respectively. Online, while it does have some mobile related stuff, is not "the mobile studio", and it is headed by a gentleman named Segawa-san. SEGA Interactive (AM) studios are a little vague to me, but those are a totally different company than SEGA Games.

Edit: I use SEGA Retro as a quick reference from time to time and appreciate when it's accurate.

Any chance you could tell us when this restructuring took place exactly (2015 when Sega Games started, or when they moved into the new building in 2018?)

Suzuki Yu

Oct 25, 2017
Jeddah
Now from what I can understand based on the recent interview most of VC staff is now merged with Sonic Team members. Since CS2 will be responsible for next Sakura Wars game.
The team will still involve with Sonic games I believe but not entirely focusing on that anymore.
I am curious about the new IP whether it will be something more into what can we expect from sonic team or some new RPG like Skies/Valkyria.

Any chance you could tell us when this restructuring took place exactly (2015 when Sega Games started, or when they moved into the new building in 2018?)
Good question, I am also curious about this.

Apr 21, 2018
It appears more and more that Sonic mediocre games are almost an exception at Sega Studios.

In the past few years, Sega is the only major publisher staying in the top 3 of Metacritic:
  1. Capcom (79,3)
  2. Sega (78,5)
  3. Electronic Arts (77,5)
  4. Nintendo (76,4)
  5. Ubisoft (73,7)
  6. Sony (71,8)
  7. Square Enix (71,0)
  8. Bandai Namco (71,8)
  9. Digerati Distribution (69,9)
  10. NIS America (69,5)
    2b252ccdbce9f9d4132962edbea21dc0b5338487r1-1080-910v2_hq.jpg
The other underrated publisher (compare to Sony, Nintendo) is Capcom.
They both deserve a crown because Sega released 30 distinct titles and Capcom only 14.

It's even more impressive since Sega's major games of the gen are yet to come ( CS 2 Sakura Taisen, the new generation of Yakuza, RE Fantasy, and the Biggest budget ever of The Creative Assembly for the west).

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
It appears more and more that Sonic mediocre games are almost an exception at Sega Studios.

In the past few years, Sega is the only major publisher staying in the top 3 of Metacritic:
  1. Capcom (79,3)
  2. Sega (78,5)
  3. Electronic Arts (77,5)
  4. Nintendo (76,4)
  5. Ubisoft (73,7)
  6. Sony (71,8)
  7. Square Enix (71,0)
  8. Bandai Namco (71,8)
  9. Digerati Distribution (69,9)
  10. NIS America (69,5)
    2b252ccdbce9f9d4132962edbea21dc0b5338487r1-1080-910v2_hq.jpg
The other underrated publisher (compare to Sony, Nintendo) is Capcom.
They both deserve a crown because Sega released 30 distinct titles and Capcom only 14.

It's even more impressive since Sega's major games of the gen are yet to come ( CS 2 Sakura Taisen, the new generation of Yakuza, RE Fantasy, and the Biggest budget ever of The Creative Assembly for the west).
I mean that was always known and SEGA was doing well even last gen, and even then i still believe that sonic team in its top form can still achieve greatness, they did well in the last gen with both generations and unleashed, both games were great if flawed in some respects -especially Unleashed- and had the potential to be even better

With recent restructuring of sonic team plus the leader relocated to US and "establishing US as the new hub for franchise management ", I am interested in what the next game will be,it will surely be different and hopefully better with more budget and time in the oven.

The future of SEGA in general seems bright and i am more than happy

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping the next Sonic game is shown off this year. this would be the first Sega of America produced sonic since Shadow I think

Apr 21, 2018
I'm hoping the next Sonic game is shown off this year. this would be the first Sega of America produced sonic since Shadow I think
Maybe we'll witness Sonic Adventure Remake at Sega Fes as it was rumoured and claimed by Switch owners in a recent Sega Ages poll.
(Panzer Dragoon remakes, Space Channel VR, cancelled Shenmue Remake, it's not like this idea comes from outer space)

MH MD
Yeah, people are slowly changing their mind about Sega but we often heard about the "empty shell". (Which is to simple as tons of talents remained at Sega and more important, the company is still working with those who left, like Naka in last generation, team Space Channel this gen, Naoto
Ohshima, plus, Sega is still hiring talents, purchasing excellent developers...

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
With the way they have been announcing sonic games lately, and forces being released 1.5 years ago, i have a feeling that we will get a teaser as soon as March, if they attended SXSW this year, and the proper game will release next year, that way 3 years will be passed since forces and would be a good time to release a new mainline game.

It's just a hunch at this point but both forces and Team Sonic Racing have been announced like that to some extent, maybe they will stick to this pattern, maybe not, we will just have to wait and see, don't even have to wait long as SXSW these days are releasing information of who will attend this year

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Taking a stab at it...

Gremlin Industries: acquired by SOA
Sanristu: aka Sims, still around
Coreland: became Banpresto, absorbed into Bandai and became BB Studio
Namco: merged with Bandai, still around and huge
Vic Tokai: still around (Tokai Engineering) but not in gaming
Westone: closed, IP transferred to LAT
Sunsoft: still around (barely), mainly IP licensing
Aicom: absorbed by Sammy
Compile: shut down ;___; IP owned by D4 Enterprise, except Puyo Puyo which Sega got
Ancient: still around! :D
SIMS: still around
Dempa: still around (Dempa Publications) but not in gaming
Treasure: still around (barely), mainly IP licensing
MLP: ??? Did you mean MNM?
Technosoft: shut down, Sega bought their IP
Game Freak: still around, ruling the world
Nextech: aka Nex Entertainment, still around
Minato Giken: shut down
Camelot: still around
Aspect: still around
M2: still around, always awesome!
CRI: Absorbed into Sega AM2
Givro: shut down
Scarab: became feelplus, absorbed into AQi, became Marvelous
JAMP: no idea, probably shut down
Tose: still around, still secretly developing everything
Red Entertainment: still around, planning company again
Chime: still around
Vivarium: still around! and maybe working on a new Seaman according to twitter! :O
Quartet: ??? You mean Quintet?
Climax: shut down ;___;
Zoom: still around (barely) mainly IP licensing
Neverland: shut down, staff went to Marvelous
Nex Entertainment: still around
AQ Interactive: merged with Marvelous
cavia: absorbed into AQi, became Marvelous, key staff left to form Orca
Chunsoft: merged with Spike, still around
Sumo Digital: still around
Tantalus Interactive: still around
Genki: still around
Platinum Games: still around
Anchor: still around but not in gaming
Thunder Stone: who?!
Rutobo Games: still around (barely), game staff left to form Gotch Technology
System Sacom: still around (System Sacom Industry) but not in gaming
Micro Cabin: still around (barely), mainly IP licensing, bought and sold repeatedly
Land Ho!: still around
Media.Vision: still around
Access: still around
Studios Saizensen: still around
Imageepoch: RIP JRPG savior
Gulti: still around
Ecole Software: still around

Holy shit, I love you for this post. Surprised to see that some of these companies are still around, or around in spirit. SIMS and Micro Cabin being the biggest surprises.

OP
OP
Dooble

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
Just found out that Fate Grand Order Arcade is actually made by SEGA AM2 (the producer, Shinichi Yoshino, previously worked on that Mahjong arcade franchise, and previously was one of the leads for the Shenmue games)

https://sega-interactive.co.jp/ (Creator's Interview by Second R&D Headquarters; so AM2).

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
One part of Sega Japan--and please correct me if I'm misconstruing this--is the one that made such a great variety of games is basically just the Yakuza studio now? That's so disappointing to me. Too much of a good thing is bad. Give Yakuza a small reprieve.

chivibowie

Feb 14, 2019
One part of Sega Japan--and please correct me if I'm misconstruing this--is the one that made such a great variety of games is basically just the Yakuza studio now? That's so disappointing to me. Too much of a good thing is bad. Give Yakuza a small reprieve.
I think the same about Yakuza, but games like Soul Reverse and the rest of the Sega arcade stuff are Sega "style" games. The bad thing about that they are not released in home consoles...

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
As for Takashi Iizuka: he's not actually at Sonic Team in Japan anymore, he's been at Sega America since March 2016. Kinda doubtful he's to blame for everything bad about Sonic Forces. If anything I wouldn't be surprised if he was more involved with Sonic Mania.

He wasn't super hands-on with Mania from what I understand but definitely provided a lot of guidance to it. I'd say Mania has more of his hand in it than Forces does, really.

Apr 21, 2018
I think the same about Yakuza, but games like Soul Reverse and the rest of the Sega arcade stuff are Sega "style" games. The bad thing about that they are not released in home consoles...
Same here about Yakuza.
But almost all the market has evolved that way. For instance, it's now proven that Sega released more distinct games than the other major publishers...(It's a shame that we have a Yakuza almost each year but Ryu ga Gotoku Studio is just a part of Sega CS1 which releases other types of games.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
CS1 and CS3 are their only interesting developers. CS2's failure with Sonic Forces (and previously, Sonic Lost World) was so catastrophic that I think Sonic Team is as bad as ever.

Sonic Team was at least rushed to make '06, they had four years to make Forces.

Beyond CS1 and CS3, their Atlus developers would probably be way more interesting.

Sega Ages series and Shin Sakura Wars is being headed by CS2 tho.

Shin Sakura Wars gonna surprise a lot of people unfamiliar with the series when it comes out.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
About these two companies:
Sunsoft themselves recently made the PSVR MOBA Dark Eclipse, and the ThunderForce license that Sega purchased is only temporary.
Sunsoft does still do development but it's pretty limited console side. They also did Mahjong games on 3DS, PS4 and Switch this gen and are remastering Mr. Gimmick in HD for an arcade release too.

Are you sure it's temporary for the Technosoft licenses though? I was under theimpression Sega actually bought their IP and assets, and there's no other copyrights on the 3D Classics or Sega Ages releases to imply otherwise?

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Are you sure it's temporary for the Technosoft licenses though? I was under the impression Sega actually bought their IP and assets, and there's no other copyrights on the 3D Classics or Sega Ages releases to imply otherwise?
Hmm, now that you mention it, I seemed to recall an interview I read back in 2016 that stated that the license was temporary but maybe I'm wrong.
What did remain at Tecnosoft was the rights to sell and distribute the games' soundtracks.

Apr 21, 2018
Latest news, Atlus reached 300 staff members 6 months ago according to Persona Central.(121 emloyees when Sega bought them)

Poll: What is your Favorite Sega Studio ?
strawpoll.com

Favorite Sega Studio - Online Poll - StrawPoll

What's your opinion? Vote now: AM1 (HOD Scarlet Dawn, Sega World Drivers, Initial D), AM2 (Border Break, VF5 FS, Hatsune Miku), Amplitude (Endless Space, Humankind, Atlus ( SMT, Cat...

Gatsbits

Oct 28, 2018
Love these guys! Great OP! Thanks!

Sega should release on actual and next gen consoles a selected arcade catalog , "the arcade perfect collection " with games from all arcade system : model 1,2,3 system 16/32 including arcade exclusives gems like Daytona USA 2 , Scud Race or Golden Axe the Revenge of Death Adder.
I love this Sega worldwide spitit rather than Sega japanese centric like Sakura Wars or Yakuza.

Im still enjoying lots of Sega arcade classic on Xbox One X via 360 BC like : VF2, Fighting Vipers, Daytona USA , Crazy Taxi, Virtual On. Ps2 had also good one : Sega Rally 95 , Last Bronx , Virtua Racing 60fps , F355 Challenge etc...

Sega , please bring them back !

OP
OP
Dooble

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
A Thread bump?

I am gonna take this oppurtunity to update the current OP (also include the licensed Sega of Japan IP, which is what I think people are also interrested in)

So actually, we don't know what projects Sega of Japan is currently working on, outside of assisting in getting some of their games overseas (Yakuza: Like A Dragon, who knows what they will do with Olympic 2020). I think they have several announcements this year.

So I am gonna do some rampant speculation on everything that I know:

CS1/RGG Studio

So CS1 aka the Yakuza team, has about 4 teams lined up: The Judgment team, The Yakuza 7 team, the team that did the remastered Yakuza collection and the Super Monkey Ball team.

Here are some musings on what the Yakuza team mentioned on what they want to do nextt: New Ichiban game, explore new genres within the Yakuza games post the turn-based battle system of 7, Kenzan Kiwami on the Dragon Engine, Judgment 2, something fantasy related instead of realism...
What I think will happen: Sega and RGG Studio will release a sequel to Judgment and Yakuza 8, but have worldwide release on all platforms like Yakuza: Like A Dragon this year.
I suppose there is still room for a third Yakuza project, and the Asian and Western fans have long been asking for a Samurai spin-off game to be localized. I think Kenzan Kiwami on Dragon Engine will be the answer to that.
Then there is still the Monkey Ball team. The producer seems really passionate about Monkey Ball and it definitely sounds like he wants to make a game that lives up to 1&2. We might get a game new game this year even. Monkey Ball games are not a big investment and are quick to make.
Also I think the studio is gonna release future games on Steam on their own instead of relying on Sega Europe. They made the Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz HD PC port and even added exclusive stuff to it, like the Cube/Triangle/Spike shaped Monkey ''Balls''

CS2/Sonic Team:
So there is the JRPG group of CS2. Evenif some games have flopped like Sakura Wars 5 or Valkyria Chronicles 1 in the past...Sega always continues to make some kind of JRPG be it Shining entries, Sakura Wars, Valkyria Chronicles or 7th Dragon games.
Some people are hoping for Skies of Arcadia, but it is way more likely to be VC5 or a new Sakura Wars. A new IP is also likely, which is something that they are working on.
I actually have pretty much no clue or guess what the Sonic, Puyo Puyo or Olympics devs are doing. Plenty upon plenty of devs where I don't know what they will do.
The Sega Ages group also has only a couple of releases left before they announce the next wave. I am thinking they will hopefully and finally switch to 3D stuff, they alreasy they got NAOMI/Dreamcast working pretty good.

AM1 & AM2:
Despite the current situation - arcades will still be their bread and butter. Games like Soul Reverse or Chrono Regalia have not been successes, but they will instead try new arcade games. Their new racing game IP, Sega World Championship Driver got an update this year, it seems like it is a success.

However most would actually care about potential console projects. And it's been looking a bit better now, with AM2 supporting Border Break on PS4 in Japan, and wholly new Hatsune Miku game developed from the ground up for a home system, the Switch. As Sega's reports show they want to continue investing into console games instead of mobile, and they had several arcade staff do mobile when they had a big mobile push since about 2012. Chain Chronicle was by AM1 which was a success, but their newest efforts like League of Wonderland (this mobile game was actually localized) have not done well. There is a better chance for a success with a console game rather mobile at this point.

Yu Suzuki might get in touch with AM2 again because he talked about there might being another OutRun and Virtua Fighter in the works.

Also it seems that the creative behind House of the Dead, Takashi Oda, isn't done with the franchise. He wants to do several more games, and he is likely is involved in the House of the Dead 1&2 remakes.

Other mobile projects and the PSO2 team:
Yeah the latest mobile efforts like Revolve8 have not done well and Idola: Phantasy Star Saga is not lighting up the charts (but they keep supporting that).
PSO is still a big thing for Sega, they keep hiring for it more than anything else. I am thinking they have plans to do a really big worldwide launch with PSO3 with Microsoft backing them.

Which IP will Sega of Japan license next or do more of?
Panzer Dragoon on Switch seems like it was a huge success with 3 times making it's money back. They have Zwei announced and the VR game coming out too. I think it might come to a point where Sega will publish one game themselfs.
Space Channel 5 VR kinda went under the radar, a Steam release might bring some life into it, but I don't think so.
Streets of Rage 4 also was a huge success.
Shenmue III also released, and IV is not unlikely. However I don't think Sega wants to publish it

I think Skies of Arcadia and Jet Set Radio are very likely to be next. They mentioned in an interview that with the Sega Ages poll, they took notice of the demand of Jet Set Radio, and they don't know that they will release a Sega Ages version, however they think licensing might be an option to answer these calls.

I wonder who they would get for a Jet Set Radio game, however I don't see a Japanese developer pitching a game. It was never that popular in Japan. Some people on RGG Studio worked on JSR in the past (Kazuki Hosokawa), so I they would assist like they did with Streets of Rage.

Also there is a huge push by a former Skies of Arcadia developer on Twitter to make a new game, and he is in contact with Sega about it too (talking with the original devs too). However I think it is gonna take a long while.

Last edited:

chivibowie

Feb 14, 2019
About AM1 & AM2
Looking at the latest annual report, it seems Sega has learned that focusing on a few mobile games, rather than releasing as many, has worked very well for them. I suppose that in the arcade branch they are going to try to do the same, since last year they released about 15 games in Japan when the tendency to generate money, right now, is downward. In other words, it wouldn't be strange if we saw AM1 and AM2 more often on consoles. What projects would be? Who knows...

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018
A Thread bump?

I am gonna take this oppurtunity to update the current OP (also include the licensed Sega of Japan IP, which is what I think people are also interrested in)

So actually, we don't know what projects Sega of Japan is currently working on, outside of assisting in getting some of their games overseas (Yakuza: Like A Dragon, who knows what they will do with Olympic 2020). I think they have several announcements this year.

So I am gonna do some rampant speculation on everything that I know:

CS1/RGG Studio

So CS1 aka the Yakuza team, has about 4 teams lined up: The Judgment team, The Yakuza 7 team, the team that did the remastered Yakuza collection and the Super Monkey Ball team.

Here are some musings on what the Yakuza team mentioned on what they want to do nextt: New Ichiban game, explore new genres within the Yakuza games post the turn-based battle system of 7, Kenzan Kiwami on the Dragon Engine, Judgment 2, something fantasy related instead of realism...
What I think will happen: Sega and RGG Studio will release a sequel to Judgment and Yakuza 8, but have worldwide release on all platforms like Yakuza: Like A Dragon this year.
I suppose there is still room for a third Yakuza project, and the Asian and Western fans have long been asking for a Samurai spin-off game to be localized. I think Kenzan Kiwami on Dragon Engine will be the answer to that.
Then there is still the Monkey Ball team. The producer seems really passionate about Monkey Ball and it definitely sounds like he wants to make a game that lives up to 1&2. We might get a game new game this year even. Monkey Ball games are not a big investment and are quick to make.
Also I think the studio is gonna release future games on Steam on their own instead of relying on Sega Europe. They made the Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz HD PC port and even added exclusive stuff to it, like the Cube/Triangle/Spike shaped Monkey ''Balls''

CS2/Sonic Team:
So there is the JRPG group of CS2. Evenif some games have flopped like Sakura Wars 5 or Valkyria Chronicles 1 in the past...Sega always continues to make some kind of JRPG be it Shining entries, Sakura Wars, Valkyria Chronicles or 7th Dragon games.
Some people are hoping for Skies of Arcadia, but it is way more likely to be VC5 or a new Sakura Wars. A new IP is also likely, which is something that they are working on.
I actually have pretty much no clue or guess what the Sonic, Puyo Puyo or Olympics devs are doing. Plenty upon plenty of devs where I don't know what they will do.
The Sega Ages group also has only a couple of releases left before they announce the next wave. I am thinking they will hopefully and finally switch to 3D stuff, they alreasy they got NAOMI/Dreamcast working pretty good.

AM1 & AM2:
Despite the current situation - arcades will still be their bread and butter. Games like Soul Reverse or Chrono Regalia have not been successes, but they will instead try new arcade games. Their new racing game IP, Sega World Championship Driver got an update this year, it seems like it is a success.

However most would actually care about potential console projects. And it's been looking a bit better now, with AM2 supporting Border Break on PS4 in Japan, and wholly new Hatsune Miku game developed from the ground up for a home system, the Switch. As Sega's reports show they want to continue investing into console games instead of mobile, and they had several arcade staff do mobile when they had a big mobile push since about 2012. Chain Chronicle was by AM1 which was a success, but their newest efforts like League of Wonderland (this mobile game was actually localized) have not done well. There is a better chance for a success with a console game rather mobile at this point.

Yu Suzuki might get in touch with AM2 again because he talked about there might being another OutRun and Virtua Fighter in the works.

Also it seems that the creative behind House of the Dead, Takashi Oda, isn't done with the franchise. He wants to do several more games, and he is likely is involved in the House of the Dead 1&2 remakes.

Yeah the latest mobile efforts like Revolve8 have not done well and Idola: Phantasy Star Saga is not lighting up the charts (but they keep supporting that).
PSO is still a big thing for Sega, they keep hiring for it more than anything else. I am thinking they have plans to do a really big worldwide launch with PSO3 with Microsoft backing them.

Which IP will Sega of Japan license next or do more of?
Panzer Dragoon on Switch seems like it was a huge success with 3 times making it's money back. They have Zwei announced and the VR game coming out too. I think it might come to a point where Sega will publish one game themselfs.
Space Channel 5 VR kinda went under the radar, a Steam release might bring some life into it, but I don't think so.
Streets of Rage 4 also was a huge success.
Shenmue III also released, and IV is not unlikely. However I don't think Sega wants to publish it

I think Skies of Arcadia and Jet Set Radio are very likely to be next. They mentioned in an interview that with the Sega Ages poll, they took notice of the demand of Jet Set Radio, and they don't know that they will release a Sega Ages version, however they think licensing might be an option to answer these calls.

I wonder who they would get for a Jet Set Radio game, however I don't see a Japanese developer pitching a game. It was never that popular in Japan. Some people on RGG Studio worked on JSR in the past (Kazuki Hosokawa), so I they would assist like they did with Streets of Rage.

Also there is a huge push by a former Skies of Arcadia developer on Twitter to make a new game, and he is in contact with Sega about it too (talking with the original devs too). However I think it is gonna take a long while.
Extremely interesting post.
I've several questions though.As for RGG studio you said "something fantasy related instead of realism..." might be in the work. Are you talking of the Persona Central info about Sega working with Atlus on RE Fantasy? (Do you thing it will be CS1 or CS2 on This one ?) Or is it something else ?

Do you have links or interviews or interviews to share ?

About the poll. The Creative Assembly is taking the lead but Sega CS1, Sega CS2, Atlus share the rest of the podium. (It seems arcade games are not very popular nowadays, AM1, AM2 are behind and Amplitude, Relic are closing the poll)

OP
OP
Dooble

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
Extremely interesting post.
I've several questions though.As for RGG studio you said "something fantasy related instead of realism..." might be in the work. Are you talking of the Persona Central info about Sega working with Atlus on RE Fantasy? (Do you thing it will be CS1 or CS2 on This one ?) Or is it something else ?

Do you have links or interviews or interviews to share ?

About the poll. The Creative Assembly is taking the lead but Sega CS1, Sega CS2, Atlus share the rest of the podium. (It seems arcade games are not very popular nowadays, AM1, AM2 are behind and Amplitude, Relic are closing the poll)

www.gamesindustry.biz

Remastering Yakuza for the modern world

Sega has announced a new wave of remasters for its popular Yakuza series is heading to the PlayStation 4.Three PS3 titl…

metro.co.uk

Toshihiro Nagoshi Yakuza interview – ‘an authentic Japanese experience’

GameCentral talks to the mastermind behind Sega’s Yakuza franchise, about spin-off Judgment and the changing tastes of Japanese gamers.

"I've been doing very real stuff, games set in the real world and focused on stuff that's very close to reality," he said. "I'd like to do something unreal, some virtual settings or fantasy settings or something that's not so close to reality."

GC: Do you ever envisage going back to making more fantastical games in the future?
TH: You're right that we've been really working on this sort of modern day, reality-based game for a while now. And we definitely have thoughts about wanting to try something in a different environment as well. When things get very busy we start imagining, 'I want to be working on something totally different!'

Tbh, you should not take these musings too literal - there are simply expressing desires.

Apr 21, 2018
www.gamesindustry.biz

Remastering Yakuza for the modern world

Sega has announced a new wave of remasters for its popular Yakuza series is heading to the PlayStation 4.Three PS3 titl…

metro.co.uk

Toshihiro Nagoshi Yakuza interview – ‘an authentic Japanese experience’

GameCentral talks to the mastermind behind Sega’s Yakuza franchise, about spin-off Judgment and the changing tastes of Japanese gamers.

Tbh, you should not take these musings too literal - there are simply expressing desires.
Thanks.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
The next CS2 RPG is almost certainly going to be another Sakura Taisen based on recent trademarks. Despite the game underperforming, the sequel was probably in the works long before it launched.

Valkyria sadly seems pretty definitively dead for now. VC4 got a huge push (relatively) and did about everything right (HD multi, VC1 scope, non-pandering story/setting, etc) and still flopped anyway. I think a Skies revival has a better shot than more Valkyria right now even.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't think a Judge Eyes sequel is gonna happen (at all, or any time soon). Getting Yagami's actor back would actually cost quite a bit (being a famous face and what not) so if a sequel does happen, I see a new protagonist being more likely (not like they are short of a detective or two to take his place. But really, it being a nice one and done game makes me prefer they do another brand new spin off.

Kenzan Kiwami? They certainly talked about it but I'd rather a new samurai game instead of a remake. I have doubts that the combat in a Kiwami release will feel as good as the original PS3 combat, and would rather they just move onto a brand new samurai spinoff and then make new stances/combat for that.

Only game I see definitely happening is Ichiban's next game. Its left nicely open for a sequel and there are some great plot points that can be picked up to make an awesome RGG8. Plus it'd be a good opportunity to improve the combat introduced in 7, each sequel that builds on the last (RGG 1 to 1, RGG3 to 4, 4 to 5) that the combat would be for sure better in the sequel. The April Fools teaser trailer for 7 still features a couple of moves that are not in the final game, so I'd love to see those added in (throwing weapons to other characters, grabbing enemies so that a team mate can perform a follow up attack on them etc.)

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I do hope we see more AM1 and AM2 efforts on console with Sega Interactive being dissolved and the groups being merged back into Sega Games with the CS, Mobile and Online divisions. I have no idea how Border Break's doing but Miku MegaMix seemed to sell okay. Really I just want the AM Ishoku team reformed so we can get more console ports again. Also AM2 needs to reclaim Virtual On from CS2.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
WOW! I wonder what even a PSO3 would look like.

I still don't think a Judge Eyes sequel is gonna happen (at all, or any time soon). Getting Yagami's actor back would actually cost quite a bit (being a famous face and what not) so if a sequel does happen, I see a new protagonist being more likely (not like they are short of a detective or two to take his place. But really, it being a nice one and done game makes me prefer they do another brand new spin off.
Didn't they patch out the actor because of drug charges?

OP
OP
Dooble

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
Valkyria sadly seems pretty definitively dead for now. VC4 got a huge push (relatively) and did about everything right (HD multi, VC1 scope, non-pandering story/setting, etc) and still flopped anyway. I think a Skies revival has a better shot than more Valkyria right now even.

From Sega's perspective, Skies of Arcadia is even less likely. It released over 15 years ago and sold worse than Valkyria probably. Valkyria Chronicles has more current mindshare because it often is on sales on Steam etc.

I do hope we see more AM1 and AM2 efforts on console with Sega Interactive being dissolved and the groups being merged back into Sega Games with the CS, Mobile and Online divisions. I have no idea how Border Break's doing but Miku MegaMix seemed to sell okay. Really I just want the AM Ishoku team reformed so we can get more console ports again. Also AM2 needs to reclaim Virtual On from CS2.

I think Virtual-On is gone for good. The new game was a good game to go out on, it was decent. Sadly it just wasn't localized. Border Break is doing well, they release regular updates.

I have been thinking that a port of the newest Initial D Arcade Stage version for PS5 could generate interrest for Japanese consumers, if no other publishers wants to provide a racing game.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
WOW! I wonder what even a PSO3 would look like.

Didn't they patch out the actor because of drug charges?
No, your thinking of Hamura, one of the main baddies. Yagami is the protagonist of the game, and is also voiced and uses the actors looks (and he's a pretty big deal in Japan, so getting him back wouldn't be cheap).

Also, technically Hamura wasn't so much patched out but replaced in a new version of the game. The original version of Judge Eyes still retains the proper version of Hamura, he was never patched out. That game was just discontinued and isn't available to buy new anymore (though thankfully I have a day 1 physical copy!)

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
I remember times (sega saturn/dreamcast era) when Sega AM2 was top development team, pushing 3d boundries, sad that they are no longer making aaa games.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
From Sega's perspective, Skies of Arcadia is even less likely. It released over 15 years ago and sold worse than Valkyria probably. Valkyria Chronicles has more current mindshare because it often is on sales on Steam etc.
I dunno, like I could see some energy manifesting behind a Skies revival, even though it's a dead IP. Valkyria on the other hand pretty definitively shelved for the foreseeable future.

I think Virtual-On is gone for good. The new game was a good game to go out on, it was decent. Sadly it just wasn't localized. Border Break is doing well, they release regular updates.

I have been thinking that a port of the newest Initial D Arcade Stage version for PS5 could generate interrest for Japanese consumers, if no other publishers wants to provide a racing game.
Yeah, probably right about VO. I can understand them skipping the Index title due to licensing but leaving the recent collection in Japan only is probably the death knell. Sad but it's not like Virtua Tennis fared much better long term under AM2 I guess. Of the AM3 teams only the racing group seems to be thriving now at AM1.

Good about Border Break but also too bad it's staying JP only. Maybe Microsoft can also rescue it after PSO2 is up and running?

And I've never understood Sega's reluctance to capitalize more on their Initial D license with consumer ports. Like they did one semi-port/remix each on PS2, PSP and PS3 and then a weird f2p 3DS thing and that's it. :/

Apr 21, 2018
The next CS2 RPG is almost certainly going to be another Sakura Taisen based on recent trademarks. Despite the game underperforming, the sequel was probably in the works long before it launched.

I don't think Valkyria Chronicles is dead but sleeping for probably a few more years.

Valkyria 4 bombed at launch not because there was no fan but without a doubt because it was similar to the first one and much more expensive. We mustn't forget all PC owners bought VC1 for 20 bucks and many of them didn't even play it yet. (same for Switch owners who had VC1 and VC4 the same year)

Valkyria 4 will find his way but not at full price.

Like Shining Resonance, it started low on steam (less than 20K) but now VC 4 is between 200 and 500k according to steamspy(Shining remains at 20k) .

But they probably bought it during the sales.

flattie

Nov 5, 2017
Always interesting to see this thread get updated. Curious to see where Sega Ages goes next. There seemed to be a period where the devs were talking up NAOMI/DC ports and then it went quiet. I wonder if the games have performed well enough to get a second run and whether that would include the more modern games.

Apr 21, 2018
I remember times (sega saturn/dreamcast era) when Sega AM2 was top development team, pushing 3d boundries, sad that they are no longer making aaa games.

I remember Times when Sega AM2 was pushing 3D boundaries in Arcade because they had the best hardwares, were dominating the US market for a few years and because that Era needed 15 people (entire staff of Daytona USA) with the model 2 to beat the Rivals.

Sorry to break your rose tinted glasses but that was another story on the consoles you're mentioning.

Saturn
Where are the AAA ?
Daytona ? Players were laughing at it at the Time for the ridiculous draw distance.(and the 20 FPS were not helping)

Virtua Fighter 2 ? Yes graphics were excellent but backgrounds in 2D, with a very light content for a console game, only 10 characters.

Fighter Megamix ? The roster is now pretty good but the graphics downgraded.

Dreamcast

Virtua Fighter 3 ? Great technical showcase but light conversion by genki.

Shenmue ? Yes it's the only AAA except it's not AM2 alone:

It's been revealed in 2018, Toshihiro Nagoshi and his crew had much more involvment in the game than simple supervision. The CEO of Sega asked Nagoshi to be producer and director of Shenmue during the last months.

On top of that, a part of the "AM2" of that Era you're mentioning is nowadays part of Yakuza Studio.

Daytona Arcade(AM2)
Director} Toshihiro Nagoshi (Yakuza Studio)

Virtua Fighter 3 Arcade (AM2)
Program director} Tetsuya Kaku (Yakuza Studio)

Scud Race (AM2)
Designer} Daisuke Sato (Yakuza Studio)

The Dreamcast was impressive but the Shenmue case shows that Sega couldn't handle more than one AAA at the Time. Many AM2 ports were outsourced for that reason and other Sega Teams had small crew but were saved by the technical gap with the PSX.

90's were not a mystical Era where AM2 was an untouchable god. (There was the skies, Lockheed Martin hardware where AM2 was the king and only living entity and the earth, the reality which is having mixed ports on Sega Saturn)

In fact, AM2 was more impressive on PS3 than on the Saturn. This Time, there was no obvious trick with the background (maybe minor but i didn't notice) and the game had the highest polycount by characters of the Time. Virtua Fighter 5 was so impressive that even today the game isn't ridiculous against fighters of the PS4.(especially animations)

So, I agree with you on This. It's a little sad AM2 didn't a release a brand New Fighter on PS4, as impressive as Virtua Fighter on... PS3 ;).

AM2 was pretty cool on PS2, PS3, PSFou(...nope, Sega, I'm still waiting Border Break and Soul Reverse in the west :)
But let's be realistic, if we want a modern AAA like Shenmue, AM2 couldn't do it alone. It would require Sega CS1 + Sega CS2 + AM2 and on the other hand means less outputs from Sega overall.
It was another Era that cannot be translated in 2020. (8 years, 1500 people for RDR2 ?)

Let's enjoy AA games from Sega for the moment and maybe in the future, some series will be multi million sellers and then allow Rediden Evil budgets.

Last edited: