• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
This really seems shitty on steam since you're losing all the steam workshop mods for those versions.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I get why they do it - brand confusion and all that - but it always sucks to limit people's options. Particularly when the newer versions are almost always more expensive. (And you might end up losing access to mods and stuff, like with the Dark Souls Remaster.)

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I own them all but shitty move to delist cheap games to sell a more expensive one

At Steam it would make the SEGA Genesis collection incomplete for new buyers

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Had a moment where Steam was telling me I owned Sonic and Sonic 2 but they weren't showing up in my library, then I realized they were part of Sega Megadrive and Genesis Classics. Weird categorization there.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
This really sucks since you need Sonic 3 & Knuckles on Steam to play Sonic 3 AIR.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confident the remasters in Origins will be solid given the talent behind it, but this is still a shitty practice on the publishers part.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
This just seems to be SOP these days, in fact, I was telling some friends that Sega was going to do this with the Sonic Genesis games on Steam.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Had a moment where Steam was telling me I owned Sonic and Sonic 2 but they weren't showing up in my library, then I realized they were part of Sega Megadrive and Genesis Classics. Weird categorization there.
I thought I was going crazy. I remember playing Sonic 3 AIR but I could not find Sonic 3 in my library, but I found them to be in my library when searching the store... thanks for the heads up.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
SEGA was praised for embracing the Sonic modding community through these games.

untitled-1-1309280387.jpg

slothrop

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Apparently I forgot I own these all on Steam but have not launched the weird "SEGA Mega Drive and Genesis Classics" app that includes them all since December 2012.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Also blows because these releases are a great way to easily get the roms for the games.

Oct 25, 2017
I would buy them now if you don't already. Sonic 3 soundtrack has been in jeopardy for a long time now which is the reason Sonic 3 hasn't been released in forever. I wouldn't be surprised if they removed the soundtrack for this release. I already got the bundle forever ago, and I don't regret my purchase and was utilizing the mods the other day. Origins already has confirmed DRM in it.

It will also be a huge downgrade to me if it doesn't allow mod support.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I already own Sonic CD, Sonic 3 and S&K on Xbox, apparently. Don't think I bought S1 and S2 because I own the Genesis Collection and don't need them.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes but it's not really a big deal.

They've released versions without them before and the fact that Origins is Sonic 3 & Knuckles means that several of them are definitely getting replaced anyway.
It's a pretty big deal for those who want gaming preservation of Sonic 3 as it was released. Ice Cap Zone is probably one of the biggest highlights of 3, and it's among the songs likely to be removed.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
It's such a shame this otherwise amazing looking collection is getting brought down by this, denuvo on PC and the spreadsheet nonsense D:

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I feel like Steam (and other storefronts) should have an option for "unlisted" as opposed to just "delisted". I completely understand why you don't want a bunch of near-identical versions of the same game available, confusing consumers. But there should still be an option to purchase the original versions if you know where to look / have the right link.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I wish publishers would stop doing this

That's great that you're releasing new versions, but what's the harm in letting people buy the old versions if they want to? Just put a note at the top of the app page informing people that there's a newer version.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I feel like Steam (and other storefronts) should have an option for "unlisted" as opposed to just "delisted". I completely understand why you don't want a bunch of near-identical versions of the same game available, confusing consumers. But there should still be an option to purchase the original versions if you know where to look / have the right link.

There is an option for the game to not appear in Steam search

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
That's shitty, but also surprising. I think this is the first time Sega has done this (at least for Sonic), isn't it?

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Does AIR allow for save states? That's been the main appeal of Origins for me (I don't have time to replay the Special Stages again and again, dang it!) and given that I apparently missed this...

Considering it looks like Sonic Origins does not let you play Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles separately, this sucks.

...that might be a viable option for me considering I was hoping to experience these two games as per their original releases before tackling them as one.

(While I'm at it, what gave they impression they aren't playable separately?)

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
This is a pretty good idea

Square Enix, listen to light here and let me buy Dragon Quest XI: The Undefinitive Version on Steam, you cowards <3

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
I wonder of the 3DS Classics versions are safe too?

They'll probably be fine since they aren't just straight-up versions of the game. Either that or they're gone in a year anyway.

I'm guessing the Genesis Collection on all platforms is safe as well, so this is basically just the basic standalone versions of the games you get on Steam or XBLA.

(I'm assuming mobile is also unaffected? I can't decide if Sega was too vague here, or if it's just rough because holy butts are there a lot of ways to buy Sonic 1 and 2)