Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
MS would have it made with the Xbox Game Pass if they had smaller franchises like NiGHTS, Crazy Taxi, Jet Set Radio, House of the Dead, etc. getting new games as Xbox/PC exclusives and premiering fist on the Pass

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like, I feel like the odd guy out here to say that this is probably Creative Assembly related possible halo wars or something. Or maybe they're hiring relic out to make them some kind of dawn of war style gears game.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Hopefully Sega sells off their dormant franchises that they have no interest in revisiting to Microsoft so we can finally see sequels and reboots.

MS could really use them. Xbox is severely lacking in some "fun an colorful" looking games that appeal to a broad audience. And a lot of SEGA franchises have a level of personality that you just cant create today

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
MS could really use them. Xbox is severely lacking in some "fun an colorful" looking games that appeal to a broad audience

Super Lucky Tale and Sea of Thieves are fairly recent and fill this niche. But i'm not opposed to getting some old sega revivals though, gimme Alex Kidd 2018 or give me death

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Part of me would love if Sega was part of MS. One of my saddest days as a gamer was when Sega left the hardware business. Many of my friends which loved Sega migrated to the Xbox as it seemed it was a spiritual successor to the Dreamcast. Sega always brought the games when they had their own hardware and even going back the Sega Master System, Sega was always on point with a ton of software support. Anyways, I would only want this to happen if MS dug into the IP's Sega owns and did something with them. Wishful thinking and all...

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Super Lucky Tale and Sea of Thieves are fairly recent and fill this niche. But i'm not opposed to getting some old sega revivals though, gimme Alex Kidd 2018 or give me death

Eh those are honestly not that great of examples since they come off as "generic" in a lot of ways. And with Sea of Thieves being a MMO of sorts, it doesn't fit the bill of what MS needs to appeal to more consumers worldwide. SEGA would do wonders for them in that regard

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Part of me would love if Sega was part of MS. One of my saddest days as a gamer was when Sega left the hardware business. Many of my friends which loved Sega migrated to the Xbox as it seemed it was a spiritual successor to the Dreamcast. Sega always brought the games when they had their own hardware and even going back the Sega Master System, Sega was always on point with a ton of software support. Anyways, I would only want this to happen if MS dug into the IP's Sega owns and did something with them. Wishful thinking and all...

Honestly, people with this sort of thinking have no idea what they are talking about. The biggest issue that makes modern Sega stick to a more conservative output pipeline these days instead of spreading out on every direction at once like they used to is money. And Microsoft doesn't do money injection into the companies they buy. Hell, they don't even put money in the games they publish: soon as something looks like it may take a bit more funding than planned, they shut down the whole thing. It has happened with various titles over the years, more recently with Scalebound from Platinum and Stormlands from Obsidian (which nearly killed the studio and put a lot of people out of a job).

This is not even discussing what became of Rare after they were absorbed into Microsoft; they sure used well all those IPs Rare owned, uh?

Microsoft brings nothing new to gaming and they don't even inject the capital needed into the studios who would otherwise do so. If god forbid they were to do a hostile takeover of Sega, it would be the slow end of a company that has been around for much longer than Microsoft has existed -- dragged around by the internal feuds of Microsoft departments, deprived of proper funding, and told not to take any creative risk ever. Screw that!

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
Super interesting. And yeah, flashbacks to 2002 when the MS Sega buy-out was a thing. All I have to add is that's Sonic Generations' Green Hill Zone running on the television in the background of that fourth Twitter post, and then you have Sonic placed next to an Xbox. I'm thinking not a buy-out, but some Sega games (including the next Sonic?) becoming exclusive to Xbox as most likely.

So basically just like the deal MS had with Sega in the early post-Dreamcast days (JSRF, Crazy Taxi 3 etc.). We'll see, will be keeping an eye on this.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Microsoft would buy Sega and STILL not bring back the franchises we want resurrected. I have that little hope left.

It'd be worth it if I could selfishly wish for Chromehounds 2 on PC though.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Fingers crossed for Sega virtual machine backwards compatibility on Xbox One.

Let me put my Dreamcast and Saturn discs in my Xbox, please.

This would be an absolute Xbox One killer app for me.

Currently 3DS is the best system for playing retro Sega games on current gen but we need more old school Sega on home consoles too.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Xbox One X exclusive, and they only have a print run of 10,000 copies! People who miss out get this mask to wear instead...

edgead.jpg

Sega could be pretty cruel back in the day.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Good Bye Sega. :(

I mean why would they tweet about it? If it's regular business. Why have a Sonic show up for the photo?

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!
It can only mean one thing....

Burning Rangers X, Xbox One X Exclusive!

Burning Rangers! We're gonna make it all right
Burning Rangers! Dreams of people we're powered by
Burning Rangers! Running at the speed of light
Just do it!
Just Burning Rangers

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
Well I'm holding onto my Xbox One X for now, it hasn't gotten much play really since initial launch and I was thinking of selling it, but if Sega is cooking some stuff up with Microsoft I need to stick around the Xbox world for now.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Fingers crossed for Sega virtual machine backwards compatibility on Xbox One.

Let me put my Dreamcast and Saturn discs in my Xbox, please.

How about Sega virtual arcade machine with
System 16, Super-Scalar series, System 32, Model 1/ 2/ 3, Titan ST-V (Saturn hardware), Naomi, Hikaru, Naomi 2, Chihiro (XBOX arcade hardware), Lindbergh, Europa-R, etc?

I'd rather have all of Sega's arcade stuff than their home consoles stuff, if I had to choose between them.

Why not just Sega everything..

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It can only mean one thing....

Burning Rangers X, Xbox One X Exclusive!

Burning Rangers! We're gonna make it all right
Burning Rangers! Dreams of people we're powered by
Burning Rangers! Running at the speed of light
Just do it!
Just Burning Rangers

Don't do this to me. I might be tempted to hope.

And I forgot how much I loved that song, damn.

Lorul2

Jan 4, 2018
According to Wikapedia (hey they have good info most of the time!)

Sega/Sammy
Net income
11px-Increase2.svg.png
¥27,607 billion (2017)

That's about $ 258,811,177 US Dollars..

Microsoft paid 2 Billion for Minecraft!

Just Sayin!

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is a buyout, but I'll just pretend it is and say...

I'm torn. On the one hand, Microsoft kills most studios it touches. On the other hand, the prospect of a new Sega home console...

Sherbert

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, people with this sort of thinking have no idea what they are talking about. The biggest issue that makes modern Sega stick to a more conservative output pipeline these days instead of spreading out on every direction at once like they used to is money. And Microsoft doesn't do money injection into the companies they buy. Hell, they don't even put money in the games they publish: soon as something looks like it may take a bit more funding than planned, they shut down the whole thing. It has happened with various titles over the years, more recently with Scalebound from Platinum and Stormlands from Obsidian (which nearly killed the studio and put a lot of people out of a job).

This is not even discussing what became of Rare after they were absorbed into Microsoft; they sure used well all those IPs Rare owned, uh?

Microsoft brings nothing new to gaming and they don't even inject the capital needed into the studios who would otherwise do so. If god forbid they were to do a hostile takeover of Sega, it would be the slow end of a company that has been around for much longer than Microsoft has existed -- dragged around by the internal feuds of Microsoft departments, deprived of proper funding, and told not to take any creative risk ever. Screw that!
The irony.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Microsoft acquired Rare....

Look what happened to Rare...

...and Rare was actually a good developer

this is either nothing, or not good news. But since good news never really comes out of Sega anyway I guess this is par for the course

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
According to Wikapedia (hey they have good info most of the time!)

Sega/Sammy
Net income
11px-Increase2.svg.png
¥27,607 billion (2017)

That's about $ 258,811,177 US Dollars..

Microsoft paid 2 Billion for Minecraft!

Just Sayin!
You don't gauge whether you can buy a public company based on annual net income. You go on Market Cap. Basically, the value of their total stock holdings. And even then, you have to pay a premium.

Now, Sega Sammy is sitting at about $3.5B USD if Yahoo Finance hasn't steered me wrong. So your point isn't THAT far off.

But that's how you make the calculation. Not net income.

Status
Not open for further replies.