• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
The visuals across the board are pretty disappointing so I am not surprised that the Nintendo Switch version looks about the same. I assume it handles stuff like shadows differently, but that should not really be an issue.

Glad to see SEGA push this on all current platforms and effectively make it one of their core IPs going forward. I expect this to do a lot better than most people here assume, especially on PC and Nintendo Switch.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
The textures have taken more of a hit than I thought initially. Still seems pretty good considering the hardware.
e61ad4575d.jpg

Kass15

Jan 14, 2018
Is the first one coming to the west for the Switch or is that a japan exclusive?

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
The textures have taken more of a hit than I thought initially. Still seems pretty good considering the hardware.
e61ad4575d.jpg

Jesus, that Switch screenshot looks to the PS4/Xbone/PC versions what VC2 on PSP did to VC1. I mean, that's not just a lower texture resolution I see, but it looks like the amount of polygons have been decreased too. Very clearly a downport, but not entirely unexpected when VC4 is very much a gen ahead of VC1 in tech.

In any case, I'd expect VC1's Switch port at least to not have any notable downgrades, if not possibly some of the upgrades from the PC/PS4 version.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Jesus, that Switch screenshot looks to the PS4/Xbone/PC versions what VC2 on PSP did to VC1. I mean, that's not just a lower texture resolution I see, but it looks like the amount of polygons have been decreased too. Very clearly a downport, but not entirely unexpected when VC4 is very much a gen ahead of VC1 in tech.

In any case, I'd expect VC1's Switch port at least to not have any notable downgrades, if not possibly some of the upgrades from the PC/PS4 version.
There is a low chance of this, but perhaps they were demonstrating the handheld mode there? As for VC1's port I figure the biggest hurdle will be that it probably has a relatively weak budget compared to this.

Whenever Valkyria Chronicles 5 enters development I imagine the Nintendo Switch version will be a day one priority at least. I expect the same from Shin Sakura Taisen as well (IMO that will be on all platforms too).

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully the extra 3 months will give the devs time to polish up the graphics more, like getting the textures at a higher-res.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
e61ad4575d.jpg
Well... don't look so good unless this is the mobile version. Need to be in pair with PS3 or even more. They removed so much polygons here and there. Looks more a 3DS version of that Hylue Warrior vs NS/WiiU. Looks real bad.

King Dodongo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure the game at release will look better than that. Anyway it takes more than some sleazy comments to make me raise concerns.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'll go ahead and pre-order the game on the NS. Ugh. September is gonna hurt the wallet. :(

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Well... don't look so good unless this is the mobile version. Need to be in pair with PS3 or even more. They removed so much polygons here and there. Looks more a 3DS version of that Hylue Warrior vs NS/WiiU. Looks real bad.
Geometry's the same, you can see every edge. The drop is texture resolution.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
That one pic does in fact look very bad but after watching the entire trailer I think it looks fine in motion. Totally playable. I'll buy it on Switch just because if I can have it on a handheld I will probably actually complete it. If I have it on PS4 I will play so infrequently that I won't finish it.

Due to having kids and only one HD TV I can only finish about one console RPG a year. But I have cleared almost 15 Switch games in the last 15 months.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I do not think it is all that bad, really. It was never going to visually be on par with the other platforms because it is 30fps on PlayStation 4 and probably Xbox One already.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
There was obviously going to be a fair drop in graphics quality. If this is a deal breaker you're better off not even considering multiplat Switch games at all.
I mean, it really does look pretty bad. In a "really bad" kinda way. I'm sure there will be better ports at some point, but yeah, I am ok with dowmgrades as long as they don't feel like a completely different game. This looks awful on Switch

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I've completely forgotten as I haven't played VC in forever, but when firing at enemies, do you have to manually aim?

If so, and if there's no gyro, then I'll probably go with the PC version.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
I've completely forgotten as I haven't played VC in forever, but when firing at enemies, do you have to manually aim?

If so, and if there's no gyro, then I'll probably go with the PC version.
Yes you do have to aim. Snipers can ohko enemies if shot in the head. And tanks have to be shot in particular spots. I don't know why people are so crazy about gyro but I doubt the port has it tbh

Fifstar

Oct 27, 2017
Are people freaking Out about one Bad Screenshot comparison again? Never Change resetera.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
The graphics in this series aren't aesthetically stunning to begin with, so the Switch version will suffice.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
I mean this goes for almost every single Switch/PS4 multiplat, but if your top priority is graphics then it should be clear that you should just go for PS4 version.
Switch's strength is in its usecase, of play anytime anywhere mantra, something I value a lot more than graphics.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Could someone grab a couple more comparison screenshots. I mean is every moment of the game this bad or is that just a bad screenshot? Also is that handheld mode or docked? Direct feed or taken from a youtube video? Sorry if this was already answered.

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
The graphics in this series aren't aesthetically stunning to begin with, so the Switch version will suffice.
Yep. The PS4 version in that particular scene looks a lot better, the armor is still relatively low for current gen game in either case. The faces looks good, though.

Last edited:

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I can wait for a sale for this game. I've wanted this game for almost 10 years.

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
it's not the same scene
Rather it is or not, it looks like the game using graphical assets that would be expected in the previous console generation. Fortunately, there are other things besides graphics going for this game.

I don't think I can wait for a sale for this game. I've wanted this game for almost 10 years.
Cool. I hope the game is worth the wait. I'm curious about it.