• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

• Alex Kidd in Miracle World
  • Fantasy Zone
  • Penguin Land
  • Quartet
  • Enduro Racer
  • Woody Pop
  • Maze Hunter 3-D
  • Secret Command

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
This is so cool, one of my favorite things about the Yakuza franchise (and now Judgement) is the unexpected porting of older titles onto modern hardware.

Full games inside of other games is always super fun, really miss when Animal Crossing did this for NES games.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Hell yeah, Quartet. Almost as excited for that as Lost Judgment itself.

Phantasy Star would have been cool too but I get not sticking an RPG into your RPG.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Nov 19, 2019
Aside from Alex Kidd and Fantasy Zone, they went for some deep cuts. Very cool to see.

Vargas

Oct 27, 2017
Where the fuck is Aztec Adventure and Zillion? I dont even need the entire Zillion game, just the title screen.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
Quartet? (gasp)
Haven't seen that in years. But is the 2nd player still a whitewashed version of the bald black guy from the 4 player arcade game? Hard to tell from the image.

Would have loved some Zillion or Phantasy Star.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I played a ton of Secret Command as a kid. It was so long ago that I didn't even know what it was called before this thread. Can't wait to play it in Lost Judgment.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Sonic was after the Master System gen.
They still released several on Master System though. Sonic 1, 2, Chaos and Spinball (and Mean Bean Machine). They're all the same as the Game Gear games (some minor differences here and there). Sonic Blast also got a semi-official port later on by TecToy.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I wish they would have Ashura as well... ;)

People really don't know much about the system in America do they?

There are like 5-6 Sonic games on Master System. It lived most of its life as a budget system alongside the Mega Drive in PAL territories.

I think every game on here has a Japanese version and maybe it's because there isn't a Japanese Sonic on Master System?

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Sonic games on the master system are pretty unique, in particular how great and catchy the music is (they were even on the orquestra). Sad to learn there's no Sonic 1/2 here at least.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I think every game on here has a Japanese version and maybe it's because there isn't a Japanese Sonic on Master System?
Which is why we have Miracle World (which just got a remaster) instead of the amazing (and expensive) Shinobi World. Which would have been a better fit for a RGG game

jxmmy

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Loved Alex Kidd and Enduro Racer growing up. A few years ago I found out the western release of Enduro Racer was cut back (5 levels instead of 10) and that bummed me out.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
I wasn't arguing if there should or should not have been Sonic, just that there were Sonic games on MS, which that poster evidently didn't know.

Might be with the Japanese versions, every game there does have a Japanese version (I have them all on Mark III), but they're the western versions here, Quartet is called Double Target in Japan, Secret Command is Ashura etc. Sometimes MS have international roms, but not for all games, eg Secret Command/Ashura are separate roms.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maze Hunter 3D isn't the best choice (style over substance, and the style won't be as nice without the 3d effect) but I'm glad more people will get to play the other games, especially Penguin Land.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Bit of a weird selection, but I like the diversity here for the most part. No Sonic 1, Shinobi or Phantasy Star is a downer though.

Going to get a lot of playtime out of Lost Judgment whenever I can afford a console.

Apr 24, 2018
Are these in addition to or replacing the traditional arcade games? Tentatively relieved from not seeing Puyo-Puyo on this list -_-

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
Sonic games released on the master system? WTF? How do I not remember that? I remember Sonic premiering on the Genesis so didn't think it ever came out for the SMS.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018

Might be a licensing issue with Rambo.

Sonic games released on the master system? WTF? How do I not remember that? I remember Sonic premiering on the Genesis so didn't think it ever came out for the SMS.

Yeah, Sonic 1, Sonic 2 and Sonic Chaos and Sonic Blast were all on Master System. Game Gear got these plus Triple Trouble, Tails Adventure and Sonic Labyrinth. They're all cut down compared to the MD/Genesis versions, but still ok. more platform focused than speed focused.

The less we talk about 8-Bit Sonic Spinball and Spinball in general the better.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sega didn't stop supporting their consoles when new ones launched if they were still doing well in a territory. I was still using my Genesis for Sega Channel up until 1997 and only stopped because I moved to an area that didn't have it.

Binhoker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This makes up for the kinda disappointing club Sega offerings in this. 3 fighting games? Ffffftttt.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Good. Last thing we need is the same games showing up over and over. I've played the Sonic series on MS to death, I want...

they went for some deep cuts. Very cool to see.
This, exactly. Its so nice that they went with some deeper cuts I've not played before. I was getting a tad worn out of the same arcade games included in each game (especially when the next gen ports of JE and 7 botched Space Harriers frame rate somehow...) so its good to see we are getting some fresh blood. Also, hopefully the Alex Kidd port is actually good, unlike that awful remake released a few months back which has awful frame skipping so it doesnt run smooth at all.

Should also be funny that we can swap regions on Enduro Racer, because the overseas release of that game was infamous for basically being cut in half content wise.

In what year does this game take place?
December 2021

Needs more Afterburner, Outrun, and Rocky. Although I'm sure Rocky is impossible due to licensing issues.
Outrun is already included in the Theatre Square arcade. I love Outrun, but the last thing we need is two ports of it included in the same game. At least with Fantasy Zone it seems like they've cut the arcade version, so will be interesting to play the parred down version.

This makes up for the kinda disappointing club Sega offerings in this. 3 fighting games? Ffffftttt.
Eh, disagree. FV has only been in one game prior, VF5 is the best mini game/game within a game to ever be included (even if its been in several games now) and Sonic the Fighters has never been included in the series before. So I quite appreciate each being included for their own reasons.
That's in addition to Hama of the Dead (or whatever the Yokohama based "Of the Dead" game is called, Outrun and Motor Raid. Plus finally new UFO Catcher toys...

Its a much better line up than what we got in RGG7, which was just copy/pasting past arcade games (some handled with more care than others). I suppose you can count the Pachi Slots stuff as new content if you want, but I see that as its own thing, and outside the Souten slots game, I wasnt a huge fan of them.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
People really don't know much about the system in America do they?
I honestly only found out about the Sonic Master System games as an adult. Prior to Genesis, I didn't even know a competitor to NES even existed, and I suspect that was due to how Nintendo treated retailers who sold competing products. That said, I think Sega could've done more to advertise Master System when the system was getting ports of Genesis games. I can totally understand why so comparably few people in the U.S. know about Master System, though. That system had virtually zero mindshare in the U.S.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Would have loved to see Castle/Land of Illusion (MS Castle of Illusion >>>> MD Castle of Illusion), Donald Duck Lucky Dime Caper or Astérix but it could never happen because of licences.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly only found out about the Sonic Master System games as an adult. Prior to Genesis, I didn't even know a competitor to NES even existed, and I suspect that was due to how Nintendo treated retailers who sold competing products. That said, I think Sega could've done more to advertise Master System when the system was getting ports of Genesis games. I can totally understand why so comparably few people in the U.S. know about Master System, though. That system had virtually zero mindshare in the U.S.
The market share of the SMS was dire in North America but I'm still surprised how many people didn't even know about it at all. There were TV commercials. It was on the market for five years and covered in magazines like EGM, Gamepro, and Video Games & Computer Entertainment. I suppose the youngest segment of gamers didn't follow gaming magazines or just read Nintendo Power.

Last edited:

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, as someone who lived in a small-ish town growing up, I'm not even sure we had Master System games at the various local stores or rental shops (no TG-16 either). I didn't get a Master System myself until I did some retro buying in college (did manage to get a copy of Phantasy Star, at least). Though I had a Game Gear, so I played a lot of the games that were on both systems, and I read about a lot of the other ones in magazines.

Quartet? (gasp)
Haven't seen that in years. But is the 2nd player still a whitewashed version of the bald black guy from the 4 player arcade game? Hard to tell from the image.

Edgar's actually noticeably darker than Mary on the title screen, but yeah, in-game he's clearly whitewashed. He's also whitewashed on like 50% of the various promo art across the arcade and Master System versions (including on the US MS cover art, at least to the extent MS games actually have cover art :P ).

That's one of the other reasons I'd like to see a Quartet revival, they'd definitely fix that nowadays. Plus I bet Lee's mustache would get even more bitchin'.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of mind-blowing to find out people were unaware of the Master System Sonic games. I've gotten used to Americans having never heard of the C64/Speccy/ST/Amiga classics that were ubiquitous over here in the 80s and 90s, but Sonic the Hedgehog too? Wow.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
Kind of mind-blowing to find out people were unaware of the Master System Sonic games. I've gotten used to Americans having never heard of the C64/Speccy/ST/Amiga classics that were ubiquitous over here in the 80s and 90s, but Sonic the Hedgehog too? Wow.
Sadly the Master system was one of those things that didn't do well in the states even when they Re-released in the '90s.

I remember being happy when it did come out because they released a few games but I didn't get Sonic on there I got it on Game Gear c: