• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I've considered picking up more Japanese games due to the better pricing, but the language barrier means I'm not enjoying anything as much

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Actual picture of davidwhangchoi

24ik8o.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I've been going through a few used sales here in there to see if I can recapture the big find I had years ago, but I did manage a copy of Shinobi Legends recently for 10 bucks.

Reference to old big find: https://imgur.com/gallery/MF4SR

ive since sold Saga because I really didn't like it.

Deleted member 1162

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Party at Dave's house this weekend

That's a very nice lot, wow!

How does Snatcher holds up on Saturn? Is there a translation patch?

jesus christ dave, that's beautiful man! congrats!

that's a damn fine deal! and yeah, i got all on there except Radiant, which has always been out of my reach

This is some nsfw shit right here.

thanks!
til1rsS.png

Deleted member 1162

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How much did it all cost you after shipping
kinda hard to calculate. but each game was pretty cheap except thunder force V.
like twin bee deluxe was 800yen, resident evil was 900 yen, the next most expensive was dodonpachi at 4500yen. which was cheap to me.

everything else was about 2000yen or lower like all the vs. games and shmups. pretty cheap. shipping was about 70 combined

IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
damn, that's a good question. i'd assume it's not legit but it'd be really useful if so.

didn't realize that though, so flashing AR carts to function as work-arounds means they won't save anymore?

Oct 27, 2017
didn't realize that though, so flashing AR carts to function as work-arounds means they won't save anymore?

That's how I understand it.

Found an impression of the cart in this forum, and apparently it does what it says on the box. Would've thought it'd make more noise in Saturn circles since it'd be the best alternative to the ever elusive Rhea or Satiator.

https://assemblergames.com/threads/saturn-proof-of-concept-bootloader-pseudo-saturn.52526/page-48

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I picked up an original (SCPH-7000) Playstation in order to preserve to my PS2 and see if I can avoid frozen game bugs that may or may not be due to them being played on my slim PS2. It appears to have no problem loading games, but the disc drive is audible to a degree that's noticeable and ... really makes me wonder if the Saturn is a more solid piece of hardware than the PS1 was.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
My first Saturn refused to read discs from day 1. The replacement we got the next day however is still going strong today. It always seemed well built to me.

I only had one PS1 but it was used way less then the Saturn since it got packed away once I had a PS2.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I refuse to post that my saturn still works fine, because I'm afraid of jinxing it.

steveovig

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting a Saturn in the coming weeks but I don't have a working CRT to hook it to. I currently have my Dreamcast hooked up via a VGA->HDMI set-up. Can I just buy a Saturn VGA cord and hook it up the same as the DC and just switch out VGA cords?

sarcoa

Oct 25, 2017
Louisville KY USA
I'm expecting a Saturn in the coming weeks but I don't have a working CRT to hook it to. I currently have my Dreamcast hooked up via a VGA->HDMI set-up. Can I just buy a Saturn VGA cord and hook it up the same as the DC and just switch out VGA cords?
I could be wrong but I don't think Saturn VGA cables exist.
If you're looking for a (slightly) more modern solution, HD Retrovision should have more Saturn component cables in stock in the near future.

SCART and a decent SCART to HDMI box is another solution, and about the same price.

steveovig

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're looking for a (slightly) more modern solution, HD Retrovision should have more Saturn component cables in stock in the near future.

SCART and a decent SCART to HDMI box is another solution, and about the same price.

Actually you're right, lol. The cord I had seen turned out to just be a standard AV cord and I misread it.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Has anyone heard of the Japanese company ... "3a company?" Because they sell $50 RGB cables for Saturn, Playstation, and Super Famicom. I got one used ("a number of uses") in the mail today and it seems pretty sturdy.

Saturn component!?

sarcoa

Oct 25, 2017
Louisville KY USA
It's actually their Genesis component cable, but they sell a Saturn adapter for that cable. I bought one last year and it works great, much better than my Saturn composite and s video cables.

They make a Super Nintendo cable too, and they're apparently going to offer a PS1 cable later this year. Sign up for their mailing list to see when it's going on sale. http://www.hdretrovision.com/

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Thinking the Playstation I had acquired might not last too long, I tried bidding on a $15 "beautiful condition" Playstation and it quickly went up to as much as $100. Maybe more. I thought demand wouldn't be too hot, considering the PS2's ability to play PS1 games. I guess I was wrong.

Is there any merit in getting an original PS2 as opposed to the slim versions when it comes to PS1 games?

It's actually their Genesis component cable, but they sell a Saturn adapter for that cable. I bought one last year and it works great, much better than my Saturn composite and s video cables.

They make a Super Nintendo cable too, and they're apparently going to offer a PS1 cable later this year. Sign up for their mailing list to see when it's going on sale. http://www.hdretrovision.com/

Didn't component start to be a thing long after the Genesis? What the what?

I'll probably continue to rely on RGB, but it's good to know.

Edit: The Ps1 died after 5 games.

Last edited:

NDPsycho

Oct 27, 2017

I second this, great cables. Just make sure to follow their directions to test for compatibility with your TV. Not every TV will take 240 over component.

khaz

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't component start to be a thing long after the Genesis? What the what?

They've hidden an RGB->Component encoder in the cable. If the encoding is without compression (4:4:4), the resulting image is virtually identical to the original RGB. You could also use an external box like the Shinybow SB-2840: it does the same thing but gives you more flexibility as to how you want to route your setup, and also have Component for RGB devices not supported by hdretrovision.

Component encoded that way gives the exact same quality as a European TV with Scart. Using it on a Component CRT TV is a much cheaper alternative to the now costly professional monitors.

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
Okay so, I'm trying to emulate Powerslave via SSF and it's running great. The only problem I'm having is when trying to use analog controls: I bound my 360 pad to the Saturn Multi-Controller in the option (if you do it correctly, you basically get proper twin-stick controls), and unfortunately, there's a ton of stick drift. Both sticks are affected, but it's especially troublesome when binding the X axis of the Saturn's analog stick to the right analog stick on my 360 pad. A way to solve this would be to increase the deadzones on both sticks. Is there a way to do that on Windows 10 that will actually work with SSF? I've already tried Xbox 360 CE to no avail.

EDIT: also, can you guys help me getting Panzer Dragoon 1 and 2 to work? The first game gives me a black screen when trying to start a new game or going into the options, and 2 takes me to the Saturn's boot menu after skipping the Attract Mode cutscene.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know about this Chinese-made All-in-One card? Seller boasts that it works as a PseudoSaturn bypass while also working as a RAM expansion and save cart at the same time. A flashed AR would lose its saving capabilities, and the Gamer's Cartridge doesn't have RAM functionality. Is this thing legit?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Pseud...triage-Console-Game-Japan-Casing/152898868192

Well I bit the bullet and bought this cart along with a Japanese model 2 Saturn. The cart works as advertised in my initial playtime. It boots back-ups and took direct saves from Sega Rally. I haven't tested it with 1MB and 4MB games yet, but this should serve its purposes. We'll see if cafe-alpha eventually work save support into his code but I'm glad others have taken the baton and produced a solid ram/region/boot/backup solution.

gotenks266

Oct 27, 2017
is there anywhere else i can get that cart? i've got my eye on a white Sega Saturn and that would be handy to have

Oct 27, 2017
Update: Yep, board looks identical to the photos on that thread.

is there anywhere else i can get that cart? i've got my eye on a white Sega Saturn and that would be handy to have

Gonna refer you again to the assemblergames thread. Same poster found a link for this cart on Taobao, which would require a proxy to buy. The seller on eBay doesn't have one available at the moment, but he's sold about 5 of these in the past few months (it appears I bought the last one he listed.) Here's his page: https://www.ebay.com/usr/choijustin

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Soukyuugurentai is really cool, but I am literally unable of keeping track of everything on screen; my brain just can't do it.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
thats the current saturn game i'm playing and learning =)

I might need to turn it down to the lowest difficulty level and attempt to work my way up. It probably doesn't help that using framemeister and an HDMI cable on a modern TV probably produces some amount of input lag.

I think this might be the last Saturn game I really felt the need to procure. My collection might more or less be complete now at 33 games (I can probably sell 3 or 4 of these, unfortunately including Nobunaga's Ambition, which seems to murder the Saturn's disc drive).

Deleted member 5956

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Soukyuugurentai is really cool, but I am literally unable of keeping track of everything on screen; my brain just can't do it.

Don't collect any shot power ups as they are the main thing that pushes the rank up. Stay on the default level and learn to kill everything with the lock on instead, this will also increase your multiplier and ability to gain extends.

FYI turn the difficulty up from 4 to 5 to match the arcade version

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
aw damn, for real? any other titles known for this?
i could swear i'd read crash bandicoot can wreak havoc on you PSX

This is just my personal experience, but it seems to need to load from the disc for nearly every single menu selection you make. After about 10 hours, my Saturn began to sound like it was really struggling to read from the disc.

phanboy4

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly just started out trying to pick up a JP copy of Darius Gaiden. But I found a good deal on Metal Black too, and at that point I was like "screw it, gonna get TFV too, I just got a tax return and I'm an adult."
aj3h34ot0vk01.jpg

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
While attempting Soukyuugurentai, I turned it down to the 2nd lowest difficulty and managed to get to the boss in the third level (lol), and thought ... is ... is this Sakimoto? And yes, of course, it is.

MikeMyers

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Just out of curiosity, are there any Saturn games you'd consider a success in the West?

I'm guessing the port of Sega Rally, since it was even the fastest selling CD game in the UK at that point. Maybe Nights into Dreams too. Also there's Die Hard Arcade, which was popular in arcades, but the arcade version does run on Saturn hardware.

tuglaw

Oct 27, 2017
Okay so, I'm trying to emulate Powerslave via SSF and it's running great. The only problem I'm having is when trying to use analog controls: I bound my 360 pad to the Saturn Multi-Controller in the option (if you do it correctly, you basically get proper twin-stick controls), and unfortunately, there's a ton of stick drift. Both sticks are affected, but it's especially troublesome when binding the X axis of the Saturn's analog stick to the right analog stick on my 360 pad. A way to solve this would be to increase the deadzones on both sticks. Is there a way to do that on Windows 10 that will actually work with SSF? I've already tried Xbox 360 CE to no avail.

Also had this issue, what I did was to add SSF to Steam and configure specific controls for that application alone (you might need to go into big picture for that, not sure). Which in this case the controls are basically the same, but you can define the deadzones. Then you can just start SSF from Steam.

I was thinking about using x360ce and just replacing the original system dlls with the modified ones dlls (because one of my pads does have drift from extensive use), but I'm not sure if that would cause issues with the games I actually use x360ce on.

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
Also had this issue, what I did was to add SSF to Steam and configure specific controls for that application alone (you might need to go into big picture for that, not sure). Which in this case the controls are basically the same, but you can define the deadzones. Then you can just start SSF from Steam.

I was thinking about using x360ce and just replacing the original system dlls with the modified ones dlls (because one of my pads does have drift from extensive use), but I'm not sure if that would cause issues with the games I actually use x360ce on.
Holy shit, I never thought of this! Thanks dude, I'll try this shortly and report back.

EDIT: Steam wouldn't let me manually change the dead zones for some reason, but just adding SSF to my library and activating controller support in Big Picture seems to have added a universal dead zone large enough to fix the issue! Plays great now, though I still can't figure out how to get the BGM working - there is music when playing the game through Mednafen, but unfortunately it performs much worse than on SSF.

Last edited: