• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I wouldn't read into this too much tbh. It's just what they say for every game that sells the best in that particular quarter.

Just google any SEGA game, such as Sonic Mania, Total War: Warhammer etc... followed by the phrase "performed strongly".

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please don't let mediocre 3D Sonic games be the business model for Sonic moving forward...

I just want an Adventure 3 + Chao Garden. All I ask for Sega.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine it made a lot with that price tag, but I also can't imagine it cost that much to make either with how short it is and how much asset reuse there is.
Wonder if we'll get numbers for this and Mania soon

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I'm glad for them, but I would like to see them take the feedback to heart next time.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Now imagine what they could sell if they actually released a good 3D Sonic.
Generation 2 would have been the good move...why go complicated when their is a obv. smart move ?

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does this mean we are closer to getting an actual Sonic Generations 2? Please mean this.

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't read into this too much tbh. It's just what they say for every game that sells the best in that particular quarter.

Just google any SEGA game, such as Sonic Mania, Total War: Warhammer etc... followed by the phrase "performed strongly".

Any insight on Sonic Forces' performance on each system?

MykonosFan

Oct 25, 2017
I was firmly in the camp that would've been alright with a Generations 2, but Forces was basically that and they dropped the ball so hard. I don't want to see a legit Generations 2 with level design like Forces. I wanted the series to keep the boost formula going, but not like this.

BlandrewYT

Nov 27, 2017
Unfortunately, all this report proved is that people will support this franchise no matter how trash a game ends up being.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I was firmly in the camp that would've been alright with a Generations 2, but Forces was basically that and they dropped the ball so hard. I don't want to see a legit Generations 2 with level design like Forces. I wanted the series to keep the boost formula going, but not like this.

I had read that modders discovered they had removed they way Generations loads levels (basically in pieces as you play the level). If that's true it explains why the forces levels are so short. Does not explain why they removed it.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
People keep saying this game would be dead on arrival, but they don't understand that children would eat the "create your own Sonic OC" shit up.

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

NPD when?

Molto

Oct 27, 2017
I'm part of the problem. But I didn't think it was as bad as I'd heard. The game was just OK IMO, a 6 or 7 out of 10. Obviously the series deserves better though.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't say I'm surprised. Clearly Sega was behind Forces in full force, in marketing at least. I don't know how to feel about this fact though. sure Sonic Forces was a MASSIVE DISAPPOINTMENT but I want Sega to keep trying to develop a good Sonic 3D

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I give no fucks. I bought Sonic Forces at full price and I enjoyed it. It's a bad game but I think despite being bad it is at least still entertaining.

RetroCCN

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't be shocked by this. There's a large number of people that buy these things that care more about the characters and story jank than the quality of the games themselves.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Sega: success, a brilliant success! It's just as the gaming manuscripts foretold! The Forces that was sealed within the planet has awakened! Now we just need to harness it's sales, Segaland will finally come to be!

NYAHAHAHAHAHA

Good for Sega that it performed strong;y

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
So I guess roller coaster linear boost style, classic Sonic being shoehorned in, a microscopic fraction of actual 3D gameplay are all here to stay.

I hope if they continue with OC creators they at least make it better.

DomsPlaying

Oct 25, 2017
NJ & NYC
Not only did it say Sonic Forces performed strongly, but also Yazuka Kiwami 2 and Football Manager 2018.

I wish it would quantify "strongly," but alas it never does.

kappa_krey

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Good for them I suppose, but it doesn't change how much of a failure the game is in terms of living up to anticipation, especially when you just released the best Sonic game of the decade literally months ahead of it xD.

Just please let Sonic Team do something else, and let Whitehead's group focus on Sonic for now. Or maybe even propose something between Sonic Team and EAD to try a 3D Sonic alongside the Whitehead/PadagonWest/Headcannon stuff.

Not only did it say Sonic Forces performed strongly, but also Yazuka Kiwami 2 and Football Manager 2018.

I wish it would quantify "strongly," but alas it never does.

Same, but I think the other two are more able to be taken at face value. That report of recent says the gaming division (Sega, essentially) saw noticeable growth, tho, so I'm willing to believe Forces did pretty well all things considered.

Just wish it were a better game to compliment something like Mania; it put Sonic right back at the butt end of the joke when for a while he actually was getting the last laugh.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Sonic is truly a force to be reckoned with.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
For Sonic it could of sold poorly. A million was the standard once, but ever since Lost World they have the dropped on that. However they are also satisfied with the numbers of the Yakuza games only sold in Japan....which is a couple 100K

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree. They share some "DNA", so to say, but Forces does not build up the well-received aspects of Generations. Also,

S21gWIN.png
Forces is Generation 2 but with "original" levels.
That it's bad is another thing.
I'm sure a lot of people that liked the boost games would say Sonic 06 is Sonic Adventure 3 and that has even less in common

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
It sucks since I got the game on Switch for Christmas, but I'm wishing I had it on PC now just so I can do the modding, ripping, etc. that's available there. To the point that I may end up double dipping on this Sonic game that on its own isn't very good.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Steamspy shows there are 30,000 owners of the game on Steam
http://steamspy.com/app/637100

Wonder if the game sold 100,000 units combined so far...
Assuming the game had a limited budget, that COULD explain why they're saying it has performed strongly?