• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Segway, which boldly claimed its two-wheeled personal transporter would revolutionize the way people get around, is ending production of its namesake vehicle.

The Segway PT, popular with tourists and police officers but perhaps better known for its high-profile crashes, will be retired on 15 July, the company said in a statement.

"Within its first decade, the Segway PT became a staple in security and law enforcement, viewed as an effective and efficient personal vehicle," said Judy Cai, the Segway president, in a statement, noting that in the past decade it gained popularity with vacationers in major cities in North America, Europe, Asia, South America and the Middle East.

But the Segway, which carries a standing passenger on a wide platform, accounted for less than 1.5% of the company's revenue last year. The company said 21 employees will be laid off, another 12 employees will stay on for two months to a year and five will remain at the Bedford, New Hampshire, facility.

www.theguardian.com

Segway, personal vehicle known for high-profile crashes, ending production

Company will retire Segway PT, popular with tourists and police officers, on 15 July

End of an Era?

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
They had an idea, but the execution was too big, bulky and complex to use. We see now that, whether people like it or not, simple electric scooters have truly changed the flow of city transportation.

Electric bikes, and bikes in general, also ended up a safer choice for non-polluting personal commutes.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
The owner of the company died riding a Segway off a cliff. I think that was the beginning of the end for them.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I remember the excitement before it was revealed:

"I heard it's going to revolutionise transport!"

"It's a scooter."

"I've heard that it's going to be an end to people using their cars!"

"It's a scooter."

"I heard that going forward cities are going to be developed around it!"

"Still just a scooter"

"I heard it's going to put an end to vehicles using petrol!"

"....I give up"

*Unveiling day*

".....oh, it's just a scooter"

Nov 8, 2017
I drove one on a company outing through some woods a couple years ago. They're a lot more fun to ride than I expected, and they feel a lot faster to drive than they look when seeing others driving them. It felt a bit like being on a moving Wii Balance Board, lol.

I also got thrown off mine once because the person in front of me was trying something silly and I had to swerve to avoid him. Lucky we were driving on sand, so I didn't hurt myself.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, electric scooters are a much more sensible design for what the Segway was trying to do anyway.

Quiksaver

Oct 26, 2017
Segway was bought by a chinese company a while ago and now specializes in selling portable electric scooters

I have one, it's great

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I remember the excitement before it was revealed:

"I heard it's going to revolutionise transport!"

"It's a scooter."

"I've heard that it's going to be an end to people using their cars!"

"It's a scooter."

"I heard that going forward cities are going to be developed around it!"

"Still just a scooter"

"I heard it's going to put an end to vehicles using petrol!"

"....I give up"

*Unveiling day*

".....oh, it's just a scooter"
Which is ironic considering 'just a scooter' has revolutionised personal transport in cities.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
I would have loved to try one but I guess the whole concept of this vehicle pretty much died. You can easily rent a large variety of scooters and e-bikes in many bigger cities if you need that kind of transportation.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
There was a Paul Blart Mall Cop 2!?
I can't believe you haven't seen the greatest comedy film of our lifetimes!
SlightLawfulGadwall-size_restricted.gif

The Mcelroy Brothers and the Worst Idea Of All Time podcast guys do a podcast every Thanksgiving where they watch Paul Blart Mall Cop 2 and talk about it, called Till Death Do Us Blart. I highly recommend it.

Don't actually watch the movie it's awful

RedPanda

Alt-Account
Banned
May 28, 2020
The owner of the company died riding a Segway off a cliff. I think that was the beginning of the end for them.
came here for this. there was also an accident here in the Netherlands with an electric cargo bike where the bike malfunctioned and froze while crossing a train track. four kids died. Even though i am not sure if it was a segway product, the Netherlands immediately placed a ban on all electric vehicles like E-steps and segway products

Four children killed after Dutch train hits daycare cargo bike

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Are you talking about the Segway?
No, about Lime, Bird and the likes. The big revolution to transport was nothing more than an electric scooter/step.

came here for this. there was also an accident here in the Netherlands with an electric cargo bike where the bike malfunctioned and froze while crossing a train track. four kids died. Even though i am not sure if it was a segway product, the Netherlands immediately placed a ban on all electric vehicles like E-steps and segway products

Four children killed after Dutch train hits daycare cargo bike
The ban is limited to stints, no? Which is a product almost only known in NL. And it was made by a Dutch company that went bankrupt as it was their only product.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who wasn't grammatically acquainted with the spelling of the word I blame this brand entirely for the way I'd been spelling "segue"

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
These things were so hyped when they debuted. Anyone with a brain could tell you it was not gonna be mainstream.

OP
OP
Sqrt

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, In order to get into the main stream, the segway needed to be:

• Easy to use
  • Cheap
  • Better than the alternative.
it was neither of those things.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Every time I think about the Segway I think about how the creator died riding one off a cliff and it's all I ever think about

Dec 2, 2017
Title's kinda wrong -- FYI segway isn't ending production, just discontinuing its original model. They make a ton of other products now, such as scooters and the "hoverboards" you've probably seen

Oct 25, 2017
Now there can never be another Blart Blart Mall Blart
Just kidding, I'm sure this news has actually motivated writers to make another Blart Blart and incorporate this as a major plot point

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tried it once at an company event and it was fun after getting used to it. Could have been a nice way to traverse the city but they have the same issue like those scooters, there is no lane for them.

But the Segways would have probably been an issue like those fucking scooters anyway. I just loathe those crappy things littering all the pavements.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Segways and hoover boards just look dorky as fuck, you are just standing there, plus there is this whole balancing thing that make riding one a bit iffy. Scooters and electric bikes make much more sense in that way