Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
when your GPU from 2014 is still being used as a "recommended GPU" for new games 5 years later

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Miyazaki's first new IP in 4 years is next month! Can't wait!!!

WastefulTameDorado.gif

NaughtyMarvelousIchthyosaurs.gif

what's the name of the engine they have been using for all the Souls games?
It's an internal engine that's never been formally named. They started using it on Dark Souls 2 and have been making iterations upon it ever since. I'm sure it still has some roots on the work they did on Demon's Souls, but DaS2 was the big turning point in terms of making it multiplatform and modular.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if this is confirmed for 30 or 60 on console?

If it's 30, I'll definitely go for PC

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if this is confirmed for 30 or 60 on console?

If it's 30, I'll definitely go for PC
They couldn't get DS3 to run at 60 on the same engine and they never said they were targeting 60 for consoles for this game either so ya, best you can get is probably unlocked. Which was terrible in DS3.

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018
4K Recommended Operating Environment
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K / AMD Ryzen 2700X
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti / AMD Radeon Vega 64
RAM: 16 GB
Hard disk capacity: 25 GB or more
DirectX: 11
Sound card: DirectX 11 sound device

Source the Japanese Sekiro site

https://www.sekiro.jp/news_detail_190208_01.html

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I'd assume this to perform quite good give it's the DS3 engine and the sys requirements are almost the same.

I just hope they won't lock it at 60 fps this time.

Feb 10, 2018
Wow beefy min specs, you need a gpu about twice as powerful as base consoles.

Then again min specs are often a lie. On lower specd GPUs can work quite well.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝

Interesting CPU requirements. The game is probably locked at 60 FPS right? DS3 ran at 60 easy on even a 2500k and similar. Wonder what would warrant such high end CPUs being recommended.

Animismus

Oct 27, 2017
The recommend settings are basically my pc now! Nice!

Also, I was weirdly conviced that Sekiro was PS4 exclusive. Maybe because I am trying not to abstain from looking at it after the E3 reveal.

I guess bloodborne 2 will be the exclusive!

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Pretty low requirements, which is great.

Wish it's on battlenet though, so I can use my credits there from WoW.

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018
The recommend settings are basically my pc now! Nice!

Also, I was weirdly conviced that Sekiro was PS4 exclusive. Maybe because I am trying not to abstain from looking at it after the E3 reveal.

I guess bloodborne 2 will be the exclusive!
Bloodborne 2 will be an exclusive
that is unless Epic steps in of course and does their thing and seeing how much better Dark Souls 3 sold on PC compared to PS4 ...well that would just be easy money for Sony

Also funny enough Sekiro was "revealed" at the Xbox E3 event

Feb 10, 2018
Because it's in the exact same case as I told above.

It's a card that came out in 2012 and isn't double the performance of what's in the base consoles which is give or take a raw 7850.

The 7950 is a 2.87tflop

Which is more then double the X1 and about 60% more powerful then the PS4s GPU.

Which is why I said "about" double the power.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
The 7950 is a 2.87tflop

Which is more then double the X1 and about 60% more powerful then the PS4s GPU.

Which is why I said "about" double the power.

So? The 760 is 2.4tflop. That doesn't meant it's anywhere close to ''almost double the power'' by using the same logic.

That's not how it works.

Not the first time on ERA I see people using flops as a measurement for ''performance''.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Former HD 7950 owner here. I'd LOVE to run some of the more recent 3rd party releases on the PS4 and XB1 at their level of performance when I had that card.

As Frox said, the on paper Tflops numbers isn't an indicator of be all end all metrics to determine raw performance. Considering I upgraded to a GTX 1070 this proves even more so true.

Innuendo84

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They couldn't get DS3 to run at 60 on the same engine and they never said they were targeting 60 for consoles for this game either so ya, best you can get is probably unlocked. Which was terrible in DS3.
If someone has a ps4 pro it should be ok. I just finished DS3 on my pro with ssd and the performance was quite good. Didn't notice any major framerate hickups

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
If someone has a ps4 pro it should be ok. I just finished DS3 on my pro with ssd and the performance was quite good. Didn't notice any major framerate hickups
You must be blind then, because Dark Souls 3 on the pro runs almost always under 60fps. And it cheeses me off because I can't lock my Japanese version

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
I'm probably in minority here, but glad FROM are using the DSIII engine again. It'll run like a dream on my gtx 1060/Ryzen 5 1600/ 16gb ram.
This game better live up to our expectations. I had to buy PS4 copy as well for these sweet CE goodies. :/

Innuendo84

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You must be blind then, because Dark Souls 3 on the pro runs almost always under 60fps. And it cheeses me off because I can't lock my Japanese version
I never said it ran 60 fps. I said it was quite good and didn't notice any majorframerate dips. It certainly wasn't as bad as Demon Souls, Dark Souls on ps3.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I never said it ran 60 fps. I said it was quite good and didn't notice any majorframerate dips. It certainly wasn't as bad as Demon Souls, Dark Souls on ps3.

That's you, others might notice framerate fluctuations more than you. Hell, even "locked at 30/60 FPS" I can easily notice bad framepacing, even if the framerate is "stable".

NeroPaige

Jan 8, 2018
please tell me this is unlocked framerates on PC? I need that 120fps.

Playing RE2 and Sunset Overdrive at 120+fps is glorious.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah just looking at the Tflops doesn't mean much, the 760 though is a more powerful card than the standard xbox and PS4, if a game can't match those base consoles with that card then that's not very good optimisation to me, luckily though as someone who originally brought a 760 to get me through this gen, most games I played were fine either matching the standard PS4 or running slightly higher. I would have kept my 760 as well for another year at least but £70 for a 1060 6GB during xmas time was a good enough price that I decided to upgrade. :D

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017

This is almost certainly for 30fps at 4k, based on my experience trying to run DkS3 at 4k.

Feb 10, 2018
Your mistake is to believe that these min specs are equivalent or worse than the base consoles.

They are better then base consoles.
So? The 760 is 2.4tflop. That doesn't meant it's anywhere close to ''almost double the power'' by using the same logic.

That's not how it works.

Not the first time on ERA I see people using flops as a measurement for ''performance''.

Nice goal post move, I never said performance. I said power.

When talking about power, the 7950 is nearly double the power of a 7770 and a 7850.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From all the video footage released, the game is looking slick. Definitely getting this on pc to play it at 4K/60 fps.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
They are better then base consoles.

Nice goal post move, I never said performance. I said power.

When talking about power, the 7950 is nearly double the power of a 7770 and a 7850.

You misunderstood me, I meant:
Your mistake is to think that these minimum specs are equivalent or worse to how the game will run on base consoles.
Basically, minimum specs =/= how the game runs on consoles.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
This is almost certainly for 30fps at 4k, based on my experience trying to run DkS3 at 4k.

Hmm. I don't know, my GPU utilization peaks around 75% @ 1440p with my Vega 56 at max settings on Dark Souls 3, 60FPS of course. If they optimized the engine some more I could see 64 averaging 60 fps at 4K. If it was really 4K 30, Vega 56 would make more sense, no?

Feb 10, 2018
You misunderstood me, I meant:
Your mistake is to think that these minimum specs are equivalent or worse to how the game will run on base consoles.
Basically, minimum specs =/= how the game runs on consoles.

Yeah, I just remember a time when a r7260 and nvid750 would be min specs.
I find it surprising that they need nearly double the tflops to get the game to work on PC.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I just remember a time when a r7260 and nvid750 would be min specs.
I find it surprising that they need nearly double the tflops to get the game to work on PC.

That's where you're making a mistake again:
Minimum specs doesnt mean the minimum hardware you need to get the game running at all.
And it doesnt mean the minimum hardware you need to run it at console settings. They dont "need" nearly twice the flops.
Heck, just look at Dark Souls 3:
Minimum specs require an HD7950 too.
How does that translate in game ?
An HD7950 gives you twice more performances than Xbox One in Dark Souls. And a bigger performance compared to PS4

Feb 10, 2018
That's where you're making a mistake again:
Minimum specs doesnt mean the minimum hardware you need to get the game running at all.
And it doesnt mean the minimum hardware you need to run it at console settings. They dont "need" nearly twice the flops.
Heck, just look at Dark Souls 3:
Minimum specs require an HD7950 too.
How does that translate in game ?
An HD7950 gives you twice more performances than Xbox One in Dark Souls. And a bigger performance compared to PS4

So what min specs mean?

"not really min specs but we call it min specs cos reasons"?

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
So what min specs mean?

"not really min specs but we call it min specs cos reasons"?

Minimum specs are the minimum specs publishers are willing to guarantee you the game runs as they intended.
It doesnt mean anything lower wont run the game. It doesnt mean these specs will make the game runs at minimum settings. It doesnt mean minimum settings are equal or worse to console settings.

Hence why sometimes they dont make sense.

Heck, if you dont believe me, check Dark Souls 3 minimum specs:
CONFIGURATION REQUISE
  • MINIMALE :
    • Système d'exploitation : Windows 7 SP1 64bit, Windows 8.1 64bit Windows 10 64bit
    • Processeur : Intel Core i3-2100 / AMD® FX-6300
    • Mémoire vive : 4 GB de mémoire
    • Graphiques : NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 750 Ti / ATI Radeon HD 7950
    • DirectX : Version 11
    • Réseau : Connexion internet haut débit
    • Espace disque : 25 GB d'espace disque disponible
    • Carte son : DirectX 11 sound device
    • Notes supplémentaires : Internet connection required for online play and product activation

https://store.steampowered.com/app/374320/DARK_SOULS_III/

So no, you dont need a minimum of a HD7950 just to run the game. And an HD7950 wont runs the game same as base consoles either (but likely far better).

TLDR: Yeah, minimum specs means nothing.

Grassy

Oct 25, 2017

Interesting CPU requirements. The game is probably locked at 60 FPS right? DS3 ran at 60 easy on even a 2500k and similar. Wonder what would warrant such high end CPUs being recommended.

I'm pretty sure they just put the latest, shiniest CPU's on the "4K requirements" lists for show. Like Metro Exodus recently listing the 9900K as the required CPU for 4K/60fps, when GPU is much more important at 4K.

TechPowerUp's review of the i9 9900K has some interesting 4K numbers with a 1080 Ti. The spread between the 9900K and ~35 other CPU's is around 6fps at 4K(other than the CPU-heavy Civ 6), which is fuck-all in real world performance.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i9_9900K/15.html

Feb 10, 2018
Minimum specs are the minimum specs publishers are willing to guarantee you the game runs as they intended.
It doesnt mean anything lower wont run the game. It doesnt mean these specs will make the game runs at minimum settings. It doesnt mean minimum settings are equal or worse to console settings.

Hence why sometimes they dont make sense.

Heck, if you dont believe me, check Dark Souls 3 minimum specs:
CONFIGURATION REQUISE
  • MINIMALE :
    • Système d'exploitation : Windows 7 SP1 64bit, Windows 8.1 64bit Windows 10 64bit
    • Processeur : Intel Core i3-2100 / AMD® FX-6300
    • Mémoire vive : 4 GB de mémoire
    • Graphiques : NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 750 Ti / ATI Radeon HD 7950
    • DirectX : Version 11
    • Réseau : Connexion internet haut débit
    • Espace disque : 25 GB d'espace disque disponible
    • Carte son : DirectX 11 sound device
    • Notes supplémentaires : Internet connection required for online play and product activation

https://store.steampowered.com/app/374320/DARK_SOULS_III/

So no, you dont need a minimum of a HD7950 just to run the game. And an HD7950 wont runs the game same as base consoles either (but likely far better).

TLDR: Yeah, minimum specs means nothing.

It's not a very good guide then. But thanks for the informative.

You avatar is the same as
BAN PUNCHER

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a very good guide then. But thanks for the informative.

It's not at all. The good thing is: It's overshooting. So you wont have specs that are actually not enough to run the game.
But yeah the point for the publisher is basically a safety net. And well there's also the fact that minimum specs are often the weakest thing they had available to test the game on. They dont test it on every gpu available.

In any case: Minimum specs doesnt mean the same thing depending on the game and publisher. And in regard to consoles, sometimes minimum specs offer the same performances as base consoles... Sometimes higher (which is the case for Dark Souls 3).