• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NPR

Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky says he'll vote in favor of a resolution to terminate President Trump's national emergency declaration with regards to the U.S.-Mexico border. Paul's support means the resolution will likely pass the Senate with bipartisan support and could force the president to issue his first veto.

Earthstrike

Oct 28, 2017
That's bizarre. I expected Rand Paul to be in the same russia boat. Does Rand Paul doing this affect whether or not the legislation will eventually get passed (before getting destroyed in the courts)?

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
That's bizarre. I expected Rand Paul to be in the same russia boat. Does Rand Paul doing this affect whether or not the legislation will eventually get passed (before getting destroyed in the courts)?
Yes, that likely gives the Senate enough votes to block it (adding to the House already voting to do so). Trump will then likely veto.

Deleted member 25712

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This will pass. Trump will veto. Then we are back to square one with this all again.

Even if he vetoes the fact something passes both the GOP controlled senate and DNC controlled house in this day and age, a rebuke of the president, means more than just going back to square one. Trump picked the wrong hill to die on here, even if he's too stupid to realize it

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm certain Paul has drunk from whatever poisoned financial well seems to connect pretty disparate GOP (and potentially one or two blue dogs or even cranky old men who won't release their taxes) lickspittles but I am surprised he's suddenly principled about something. His fans all drank the Trump Kool aid or covered their ears and la la la'd so I am not sure what tipped him here.

If Obama had tried this Rand Paul would literally have BURST.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Wait, the little Hobbit is going to do something right for once? I am shocked.
I also wonder if it will make everyone here where he lives go against him since he is defying Trump

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
I'm surprised more republicans aren't against this. It's a huge power grab that could set precedents for future abuse from Dems.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
i mean his dad was an asshole but i think deep down he actually probably believed some of what he said

and voted that way too, if nothing else to be a contrairan

his son is just spineless through and through, im kind of surprised they're related

bricewgilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA
User banned (1 week): hostility, personal attacks + previous similar infractions
I'm certain Paul has drunk from whatever poisoned financial well seems to connect pretty disparate GOP (and potentially one or two blue dogs or even cranky old men who won't release their taxes) lickspittles but I am surprised he's suddenly principled about something. His fans all drank the Trump Kool aid or covered their ears and la la la'd so I am not sure what tipped him here.

If Obama had tried this Rand Paul would literally have BURST.

I look forward to Halo Infinite being a beautiful centrist screed that keeps making the necessary point that good things can't happen. Good stuff. Keep it up.

thatother

Dec 12, 2017
I'm surprised, but I guess this is mostly just to stay in line with what he says his beliefs about limited government are.

Backing Trump here is a pretty safe thing for the Republicans to do if they want to appeal to the base. The chances of blatant overreach like this going through the courts is extremely small so they can really be free to take any stance they want here safely, and they all know it.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I look forward to Halo Infinite being a beautiful centrist screed that keeps making the necessary point that good things can't happen. Good stuff. Keep it up.

I'd prefer not to drag that Verified tag into totally unrelated things in here. It puts me on a spot that I can't really pivot from. I don't think you were doing that, but it immediately forces me into a defensive position that I can't argue from without dragging a whole studio of folks with differing philsophies and opinions (who I obviously don't speak for on anything except video games and even then, just one specific IP) into an unrelated and maybe contentious or emotional topic. The Verified tag is as much to say, "HMM WHY IS THIS RANDOM GUY OBSESSED WITH DIG DUG AND MODERN AIMING RATIOS AND WHY SHOULD I BELIEVE HIM ABOUT SWAT?" when I am talking about games.
The point being that Rand has with his voting record abandoned almost every libertarian and conservative principle he ever held to vote party line for the last two years, and yes, it's striking that he's doing something as visible as this, and I'm surprised he is since it puts a target right on his back. He's doing this at some cost to himself which IS principled - so whether I like his principles or not, I appreciate him trying to be consistent on them at least.

It's also pretty sad that we're in a spot where a likely illegal and blatantly unconstitutional Executive Order is being narrowly defeated with bipartisan votes from the other "side" given that the "side" should be "Congress." Rand will either take heat for this (or maybe he made a weird strategic deal with GOP folks who wanted to force a veto but without going on the record in exchange for some other lawmaking thing down the line?) Also, when I was younger in the Old Country I used to work with a super passionate Libertarian (or the European flavor of that which is a bit different) named Paul Rand and a conservative named Ryan Paul - so I always have to mentally check my math before talking about this Rand.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm. If that user was banned for his post at me, I wasn't offended and I addressed him directly in my reply. I don't want to backseat mod but I would not want him or hrerhave requested him be banned for that since it's not a super obvious no-no An it is kinda opaque/non-obvious relative to drive by racism, for instance. Anyway now I'm derailing I'll shut up now.