• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't mean that the current bill should be blocked.

Would it be blocking it if they added one amendment, passed it, and sent it back for a final vote? I still think payment moratoriums would be the biggest thing to make sure small businesses can start right back up where they left off. And banks can afford it. "Can't be evicted for 60 days" isn't going to do shit when they open back up and have an extra $5,000 tacked on to June's rent.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Wait...what's going on now?
(Disclaimer: I am not giving financial or tax advice)
For some people's situation their 2018 filing may make them eligible to receive the stimulus check, but their 2019 filing may not. From my understanding, if you have not completed your 2019 filing your 2018 filing will be used to determine your eligibility.

If this is true, then people who expect to show more income for 2019 may not want to complete it until they receive any stimulus funds.

pdog128

Dec 16, 2017
I know a million questions have been asked, but my wife has a part-time job that might shut down (tourism based). Even if they don't, she's told them she's only available on weekends because she has to be home to watch the kids.

She'll qualify for unemployment, right? I have a good job, but we depend a lot on her income.

Oct 27, 2017
Since I haven't filed 2019 and our 2018 was less than $150,000 my household will be getting $2900, I guess? Jointly filed + 1 kid?

Glad I held off on filing 2019 since we owe.

OP
OP
Killthee

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
I know a million questions have been asked, but my wife has a part-time job that might shut down (tourism based). Even if they don't, she's told them she's only available on weekends because she has to be home to watch the kids.

She'll qualify for unemployment, right? I have a good job, but we depend a lot on her income.
Sure sounds like it, eligibility is expanded to include a host of people who dont qualify right now including a primary caregiver who has to stay home to take care of their kids cause the schools are closed, someone who has to quit their job as a direct result of covid, and someone whos employer has closed due to covid.

qMmf67R.png

WPdzeHg.png

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bernie just made those republicans who are opposed to the $600 UBI bonus a fucking clown show. on the live senate hearings for this bill.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm reading that this payout will be taxed next year? Is that right?

What's the fucking point? Canada is giving out 2k a month but our idiots in charge just don't get it.

OP
OP
Killthee

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
For gig workers, should they sign Un for unemployment now to wait a day or two for this bill to take effect or something?
Wouldn't you just get denied if you apply now since current law doesn't grant gig worker UI? This needs to pass for it to become law and states will likely need to update their sites/applications to account for people applying through the expanded eligibility.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to say big thanks to the posters in here who keep answering questions even when we ask what's already been answered.

o7

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
If the $600 added benefit puts the worker above their normal wages, then it benefits both the employee because of more money in the pocket and the employer because they don't have all the additional payroll costs not typically seen by the employee.

Am I crazy in that that doesn't seem unreasonable to cap unemployment at maximum actual income? The main thing against it is the time it'll take to evaluate all that, which prevents money from going to people's pockets.

There is a situation where if you're laid off, and somehow miraculously businesses open up, it pays more to stay home (still look for jobs unless you're crazy, but delay your start date if possible until right to the end of this increase). Now that's super unlikely given how long I expect businesses to stay closed and I don't think there will be any problems getting people back to work once hiring starts. I'm just saying conceptually it doesn't sound crazy to me.

GFP_RYU

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
im sorry if i ask this again nor read but i need to ask,

My wife and i file joint and we are over 75k combined. Are we qualified for 1200 each?

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
This might be a stupid and/or previously-answered question, but if I haven't filed my taxes for last year yet, is it better to wait until this stimulus bill is passed? Or should I file ASAP to qualify for the check? Or doesn't it matter as long as I file before July 15th? Just want to make sure I'm not screwed out of this somehow because I could really use the money right now...

FLUXCapacitor

Oct 25, 2017
I could be reading that final bill wrong, but from what I gather if you already receive the max amount in UI you wont get any more....which is BS

zerohaste

Oct 27, 2017
Does the employee retention say anything about minimum hours? My job put me on furlough and told me to go on unemployment, and they'll let me know when to come back, but I don't know if that's considered retained or what. They still pay their part of my insurance and I have to pay the rest, but I'm worried the math will work out better for them if they just bring me back but cut me down to part time or worse.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
This might be a stupid and/or previously-answered question, but if I haven't filed my taxes for last year yet, is it better to wait until this stimulus bill is passed? Or should I file ASAP to qualify for the check? Or doesn't it matter as long as I file before July 15th? Just want to make sure I'm not screwed out of this somehow because I could really use the money right now...
Were you below the threshold in 2018 but over in 2019? You'll get more if you haven't filed yet.