PS Support's response
  • OP
    OP
    Wil348

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
    So I just received an email from PlayStation Support this morning, interestingly enough asking me for a link to the video of the noise and giving me a case number, so I've sent that to them along with some more details about the issue and (calmly/politely) expressed my frustration with the situation.

Here's hoping something is actually done, but it's encouraging that the issue was indeed escalated and they even got back to me about it.

Console replaced!
  • OP
    OP
    Wil348

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
    So a couple of weeks ago Sony asked me to send my console in again. I figured I didn't have much to lose, I was more interested in using my Series S at the time, so I just figured I'd give it a try and complain again if it came back unchanged. And, well.....they actually gave me a (seemingly) brand new console! The disc drive sounds totally normal, and coil whine/fan noise seem more or less the same as my old one. They even sent me a new white box for it, great as I didn't get back my old one.

Overall I'm happy with the result, but this should not have taken the time and effort it took. I really hope Sony can improve their UK Support in the future, because prior to today, it was a thoroughly miserable experience that I never want to go through again.