Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpsRNCKiVCk

View: https://x.com/digitalfoundry/status/1793689567838519686

The very first game revealed/announced for Xbox Series X has finally arrived - Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2 is a very specific kind of narrative experience that may not appeal to everyone, but the tightly focused design opens the door to astonishing level of craft and technology in the visual design. Join John Linneman for a deep dive into the exceptional audio-visual accomplishments of Ninja Theory's latest.

00:00 - Introduction
02:27 - What Makes this Special?
03:53 - The Character Rendering
05:17 - Impressive Details
06:28 - Cinematic Effects?
08:26 - Resolution
09:33 - The Full Fat UE5 Experience
12:09 - What about HDR?
14:09 - Environmental Effects
16:26 - The Beauty of Nanite
18:55 - Shadow Quality - VSM in Effect
19:42 - Xbox Performance on Series X
20:39 - Is 60 fps feasible on Xbox? Plus, PC info!
26:02 - The Binaural Audio of Hellblade II
28:53 - Comparisons to Gameplay Reveal Trailer
31:36 - Wrap-up

Article

www.eurogamer.net

Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2 is a defining moment in the evolution of real-time graphics

The Digital Foundry verdict on the technology of Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I have to say, there are moments in this game where the line between real-time cutscenes and actual gameplay is so thin that it's almost indistinguishable.

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
This is a game I feel like everyone should try a bit just to experience. The gameplay/style may not land with everyone, but the ambiance, landscapes, sounds and character rendering are just insane.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I accidentally switched on photo mode in the first cutscene and as soon as I noticed that I could move the camera about and that there was no "trickery" at play it blew my mind.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I really dont like that stutter or 'delay' (parry window?) in the combat, very jarring for what is a very cinematic game.
Otherwise its a graphic powerhouse

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
It definitely has The Order 1886 vibes to it in that it has visuals that'll stand up for many many many years to come.

Like, that game looks absolutely incredible to this day. And 10 years from now we'll be saying the same thing with Hellblade 2.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
It makes me happy that the DF crew understand the value of simulated lens effects. The game would not look as good without chromatic aberration for instance. It's nice to hear someone knowledgeable recognize that.

P30

May 23, 2022
Absolute king of graphics in this generation of game consoles. Nothing else comes even close.

Valet Jay

Mar 20, 2018
Best synopsis of the game by the way. I think John nailed it.

This is the most deliberate, purposeful game I've played in a while. Everything you do is in support of the director's vision. I can tell why it has mixed reviews. Many people are not going to like how the game dictates the pace, in movement, or in combat. It's all to strengthen and highlight the emotional state in every scene. It really straddles the line between player control and constraint.

Also, this is the best looking game I have ever played on a technical level. There really are moments in this game when I thought I was seeing real people on the screen.

dobahking91

Oct 26, 2017
It's very impressive 100%.

But the scope is so much limited with basicaly zero complex systems to deal with (IA, physics, etc..) that I'm wondering if it's fair to expect the same visual punch from more "bigger" games. I see it more like the Matrix tech demo.

I'm very curious to see how games like Gears 6 can push the engine while having more dynamic systems in place..

Amazing work from NT tho !

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah, nothing's close right now. It's not just visual fidelity but a wonderful sense of art direction too. I find myself often just stopping to look at a stunning vista. Haven't even messed with photo mode yet. The animation work is also impressive.

Probably why the game has limited interactivity. Wouldn't want everyone making games like this, but I'm glad there's at least one.

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
youtube's bitrate absolutely decimating the footage, damn - definitely isn't playing nice with the intentionally murky, dark and soft aesthetic. you can still tell the game looks astounding under the compression but i imagine seeing it running on real hardware is on another level.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Any summary please? Or even the written article. I can't watch right now but it is obviously a must watch later.

Zep

Jul 12, 2021
Another game that looks like it can hit at or around 60fps if the right cuts are made on console. That patch is definitely on the way in the near future.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox fans finally have their graphical tour de force. I'm near the end of the game and I am blown away by the visuals.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
written article is in the op

Thanks.

"This is one of the first examples of a game that stands up against the promise of the UE5 demo The Matrix Awakens."

No need to say more. In your face all doubters and and those who claimed such graphics will never be achieved in a real game.
INB4 they come and say but but this is linear game, wake me up when it is in a open world like Matrix. TR, Mafia 4 and Witcher games are coming and you only need to wait.

Oct 29, 2017
Bold to have the what could be argued are the current best character models an animation and not shy away from hiding a lot of it out of focus or in shadows.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
The game looks incredible. I've seen some screenshots where it borderline looks like a production still from a movie.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
"However, the conversation around this target is more delicate and a matter of opinion. I do genuinely believe that certain types of presentations work well at 30 fps and Hellblade is one of those games but not everyone is going to be onboard with this. Could the game achieve 60fps? We tested the PC version using a bespoke rig built around the AMD 4800S desktop kit - literally the Series X CPU in PC form - paired with the RX 6700 10GB, a GPU with key architectural similarities to PS5's graphics core. Reducing resolution and quality settings got us to an unstable 60fps - good enough for VRR, perhaps - but it's clear that the assets are built from the ground up with a 30fps target in mind for this class of hardware. We'll have more on the PC version in a follow-up article."

Also the game on XSX is mix of medium and high. If there is a very likely PS5/PS5 Pro version this gives me high hopes this game will be 60 FPS and higher settings thanks to PSSSR. Fingers crossed.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, the video does make it seem like it's possible. It already seems to have the headroom for a 40fps mode at least - shame it didn't launch with that, feels like a missed opportunity.

UE5 is going to have HW Lumen and RT at 60 FPS for consoles in the near future so I hope it will come soon enough and this game and others will be updated by it.

Btw, Dark1x , sorry to summon you, but it is not clear about Lumen, Is it HW Lumen and HW RT since it is 30 FPS or still software Lumen and RT refelctions like Fortnite on consoles?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
UE5 is going to have HW Lumen and RT at 60 FPS for consoles in the near future so I hope it will come soon enough and this game and others will be updated by it.

Btw, Dark1x , sorry to summon you, but it is not clear about Lumen, Is it HW Lumen and HW RT since it is 30 FPS or still software Lumen and RT refelctions like Fortnite on consoles?
He says its software

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
The biggest horrendous points for all this show are the imposssibility of killing CA and film grain on consoles. I will never forgive who ever ivented them and decided to include them in vidoe games which affected many games later.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Always bounced back and forth about what the best looking game currently is (Horizon FW for it's detailed environments? RDR2 for it's fidelity and realism? Cyberpunk for path tracing?) but Hellblade 2 has easily taken it for me.

Playing on PC at highest settings at 60fps and it's absolutely unreal. Just looks like CGI at times, but you can pause it and zoom around in photo mode. It's bananas. Bravo to that art team.

Savinowned

Oct 25, 2017
Nashville, TN
The game is an absolute marvel. I am a bit bummed of the aspect ratio on Series X though. It obviously feels more cinematic that way, but I wish the console had the power to go full screen at 30fps.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Always bounced back and forth about what the best looking game currently is (Horizon FW for it's detailed environments? RDR2 for it's fidelity and realism? Cyberpunk for path tracing?) but Hellblade 2 has easily taken it for me.

Playing on PC at highest settings at 60fps and it's absolutely unreal. Just looks like CGI at times, but you can pause it and zoom around in photo mode. It's bananas. Bravo to that art team.

True but anyone can say anythign about Epic policies and their decisions and stuff but don't forget the amazing work of the UE5 devs too. They are overlooked and working very cloesley with them allowed both teams to pull such results.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Legitimately state of the art. The YouTube compression takes away from the effect you get playing it in-person, and even here it's still clearly a step above even some of the most recent showpiece games.

DreadfulOmen

Feb 6, 2018
I have an Xbox series s and my brother in law has a laptop with a 4090. I could hook up the Xbox s to my OLED and play that way or use my brother in law's laptop but I don't know how good the screen is. What do you guys think? What should I play on?

Linkeds2

Nov 15, 2017
North Bay, CA
The 'click' for me was when I realized I kept pressing up on the dpad during cutscene, whilst telling myself "this can't be realtime". And then I simply pan the camera around in photo mode. After about 4-5 times I did that, I realized this was the best looking game I've ever seen, a higher bar than what Alan Wake 2 set several months ago

So thankful a 3rd game was greenlit from Ninja Theory. I hope they continue to use UE5 to the fullest extent

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
This game

GOSBy-uWwAA_dg6

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
The game is an absolute marvel. I am a bit bummed of the aspect ratio on Series X though. It obviously feels more cinematic that way, but I wish the console had the power to go full screen at 30fps.

They can for sure: https://portal.productboard.com/epicgames/1-unreal-engine-public-roadmap/tabs/94-forward-looking
even HW Lumen and RT at 60 FPS, just not now.

That is why having an amazing team like NT working on a game fully without scratching their heads creating or optimising the engine gives them all time and resources to concentrate on the game while the engine team is the one in charge with the engine improevemnts. hopefully the game will benefit with such big feature when it drops.

Oct 27, 2017
It makes me happy that the DF crew understand the value of simulated lens effects. The game would not look as good without chromatic aberration for instance. It's nice to hear someone knowledgeable recognize that.
Yeah, in a non-gaming context, I know Pixar has been doing that for some years now and it's really elevated the look of some of their movies, specifically the newer Toy Stories

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I have an Xbox series s and my brother in law has a laptop with a 4090. I could hook up the Xbox s to my OLED and play that way or use my brother in law's laptop but I don't know how good the screen is. What do you guys think? What should I play on?
Series S seems fine. I would just play on that on the oled. You could also connect the laptop to the tv. But I think the Series S will do fine from a normal viewing distance

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
When they show that snippet of The Order...gotta say, that game is still an incredible looker. Never did play it.