Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit what the fuck is going on in here.

Game looks neat and people should play the original

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
Continuing Senua's story is redundant in itself, but it's even more disappointing to see Ninja Theory insisting on the same illusory gameplay that made the first game so boring and dull from a mechanical point of view. I mean, the first Helblade was already super pretty, but the gameplay, puzzles, combat, level design were severely bland, almost an afterthought. And nothing in this demo points to an improved game on a mechanical level. One would expect Ninja Theory to be bolder now that they have the financial stability provided by Microsoft. I would definitely trade some of this visual panache for a game that is actually fun and engaging to play.

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
Continuing Senua's story is redundant in itself, but it's even more disappointing to see Ninja Theory insisting on the same illusory gameplay that made the first game so boring and dull from a mechanical point of view. I mean, the first Helblade was already super pretty, but the gameplay, puzzles, combat, level design were severely bland, almost an afterthought. And nothing in this demo points to an improved game on a mechanical level. One would expect Ninja Theory to be bolder now that they have the financial stability provided by Microsoft. I would definitely trade some of this visual panache for a game that is actually fun and engaging to play.

Yeah, this is the area that they have to improve. I liked the puzzles on the first game, the combat itself was the only thing that I thought was too simple. I'll still wait to judge because this really looks like a scripted sequence in the game, I'll wait for a next gameplay trailer to see if things will continue to look the same as this or if they'll improve.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
Yeah, this is the area that they have to improve. I liked the puzzles on the first game, the combat itself was the only thing that I thought was too simple. I'll still wait to judge because this really looks like a scripted sequence in the game, I'll wait for a next gameplay trailer to see if things will continue to look the same as this or if they'll improve.

Yeah, I'm hopeful that Ninja Theory will show something more substantial and refined in the future.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017

The puzzles were Senua searching for meaning in runes that just happened to form in the environment as a way of contextualizing her psychosis in gameplay and the combat was designed to be overwhelming and monotonous. The game wasn't "fun" but it was not designed to be - it was more interested in making an artistic statement.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
The fact that this and the Matrix demo is running on a $499 box that is cheaper than most low end laptops is what is really insane. What a world to live in

Rippa

Feb 15, 2018
this will be wrong, but it would be amazing if you had control that whole time and your reactions and the interplay around you was all dynamic.

I get what you mean. To me it seemed a little too on-rails. And if you look at it again, it seems as if she's was only walking straight for a little while only to turn around and run straight back down that same path.

That script at least has you controlling the camera and firing the stakes at the creature and it all looked fantastic.

I can't wait to see how we can control Senua in a larger space.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what to expect from this, I like the setting and it's looking to be a graphical showcase but I just couldn't get into the first game. I know it's short but the voices in the beginning alone bothered me A LOT.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if there'll be more way-too-on-the-nose VNV Nation in this one.

Like you get to the credits after some world-shattering depressing shit and the rave music just starts playing:

Techno

Powered by Friendship™
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That was amazing, I'm going through the original game at the moment. Definitely the most next gen looking game so far.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017

I understand your point, but I also feel like MS needed something that was basically a tech-demo for Xbox. They have gameplay sewn up all over the place these days but they were, for such a long time, crying out for something to really show off the tech.

Of course there's the #whynotboth argument, but I'd take a super-linear/limited game with a good story that had eye-bleedingly good graphics on this occasion. We don't know what we're getting yet but I don't think it will have the openness/ dynamism of something like Ragnarok/HorizonFW.

It's not going to be that type of game and the graphics of this gameplay alone far exceed either of those, but maybe at the risk of more limited gameplay.

Either way, all 3 are going to be great.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
You've summed it up better than I could. Hopefully there's a lot more to come from a gameplay point of view.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
We have this big monster crawling. This lady is running from it, shouting orders. Sometimes she wants dudes to spear it. Sometimes she spears it herself. Sometimes she wants fires lit. Sometimes she wants it to follow faster. Sometimes slower.
We should have a "guess that game" thread based on this reductive take.

We exist in a dark, empty container. Buildings fall from the skies and are of various shapes. They all appear to be constructed of four connected cubes. The closer the buildings fall, they disappear for some reason. If the buildings stack too highly and breach the ceiling of our dark empty container, we apparently lose? Like we die or something? Sometimes the game is faster. Sometimes slower.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I understand your point, but I also feel like MS needed something that was basically a tech-demo for Xbox. They have gameplay sewn up all over the place these days but they were, for such a long time, crying out for something to really show off the tech.

Of course there's the #whynotboth argument, but I'd take a super-linear/limited game with a good story that had eye-bleedingly good graphics on this occasion. We don't know what we're getting yet but I don't think it will have the openness/ dynamism of something like Ragnarok/HorizonFW.

It's not going to be that type of game and the graphics of this gameplay alone far exceed either of those, but maybe at the risk of more limited gameplay.

Either way, all 3 are going to be great.

The next god of war and Horizon will get similar leap when they go ps5 only.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
*Sigh* Why you gotta call it gameplay reveal? Can't you call it something else?
If they would've called it something else people wouldn't believe this is how the game looks and complained about them still not showing the actual game (aka gameplay). This is gameplay, even if for some it's not the most exciting gameplay. But we've only seen 6 minutes and not 6 hours of gameplay...

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
This looked really good, very next-gen. I am even more impressed by this than by the Matrix demo.
Absolutely insane!!! It's a short on rails section like any other game, but obviously used to maximise it's slot on TGA. Best visuals ever! Holy shit Series X is delivering.
As they they didn't specifically say on what machine this was running this was very likely running on high-end PC.

childoac

Dec 16, 2020
I'm in awe. I didn't think this could possibly be gameplay until a minute in when the camera assumes its regular third-person view and you can tell in Senua's movement. If this is truly gameplay, it's some of the best I've ever seen.

Until then, the crown belongs to Forza 5.

Embiid

Feb 20, 2021
Feels like everyone is focusing on Senua's face at point blank ignoring the rest.

This is just unbelievable:

de798d88-8909-4b39-b1hyjhu.gif

It's half a gen above every other game we've seen.

Make a gif from the new trailer, pretty much any part in the environment, walking around, whatever, and do a comparison with the old one and it's the same, if not better in certain aspects, which is just incredible.

Everyone just seems to be focusing on her face. If they improved the lips, teeth, and removed the Vaseline filter so we could see more detail even that would look pretty dang close save for the animation.

Astronomer

Aug 22, 2019
Microsoft exclusivity sure as hell is causing some Senua levels of distorted reality in some people.

Is that thing Dillion?

About the spoiler, I bet

I don't know what to expect from this, I like the setting and it's looking to be a graphical showcase but I just couldn't get into the first game. I know it's short but the voices in the beginning alone bothered me A LOT.

You'd better avoid this game because, those rumors, are just one of the highlights of this Saga

Embiid

Feb 20, 2021
No, just people being overly defensive because the game doesn't look as good as the reveal. I'd say it looks a generation apart from that original trailer.
With that said, it still looks great.
A generation apart from the previous trailer, you serious? Again, everyone focusing on her face. Look at the environments and compare them to the original trailer like my post above. There's so much hidden agenda in these posts.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
Man, like serious!!
people are downplaying this??
this looks absolutely incredible!!
almost mindblowing in my opinion!!!
if this is really the real game, what a absolutely incredible job made by ninja theory!!
scene has a real impact!!!
really fantastic atmosphere and surreal visuals!!!
if thiamin real is by far the most impressive thing made in real time that I've ever seen!

Jroc

Jun 9, 2018
Here's some Hellblade 1 gameplay for people who aren't familiar with it:

The game doesn't have a HUD, and the gameplay frequently transitions between controllable segments and cinematics. I would say Hellblade 2 looks like a higher fidelity evolution of this design where the cuts between gameplay and cinematics are less obvious.

The meat and potatoes of the gameplay will be the base combat and the puzzles. It's not going to be 6 hours of set pieces. They've even talked about expanding the combat system in interviews.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
To the people who are unimpressed with what has been shown, what is out there that looks better?

There is too much sodium chloride in this thread.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I'm quite impressed by the lack of clipping of senua's hair and her clothes. The only time I noticed it was when she looked to her right at the troll near the beginning of the sequence.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Having played the original game and you know it's theme of mental illness and such, I fully expected the giant thing to be in her head.

But then the other people started fighting it too and yeah I'm pretty sure I don't know what to believe…

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Man, like serious!!
people are downplaying this??
this looks absolutely incredible!!
almost mindblowing in my opinion!!!
if this is really the real game, what a absolutely incredible job made by ninja theory!!
scene has a real impact!!!
really fantastic atmosphere and surreal visuals!!!
if thiamin real is by far the most impressive thing made in real time that I've ever seen!

Im with you. I was blown away and then came here and shook my head in disbelief. 😂

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I don't believe I have ever been quoted so much. Allow me to try again.

This was a presentation of gameplay, meant to impress (and ultimately sell the game).
But the emphasis on "gameplay" before and after the presentation was not at all for the sake of gameplay. It was for the sake of graphics.
And wow, they really brought it with the graphics, kudos to them.
But this particular presentation failed to interest me (a potential newcomer) strictly as a presentation of gameplay for the sake of gameplay. It appeared too prompted, too guided, for my taste.

Does that make more sense? I'm more interested in how a game plays than looks.

It was a tiny chunk of something much bigger. That massive creature could have stalked you for ages before and all the lore and buildup is explained. Expecting them to explain everything in a small snipped is a little silly lol.

I'm not looking for a story explanation, I'm trying to see the gameplay.

So your complaint about it is based around not playing the first and thus knowing nothing about it ....

It's a complaint about the video, not necessarily the game itself.

Yeah, I maybe went too far on that one. I was trying to convey that the prequels seemed mostly about special effects and merchandise, less about everything else.

Era has lost its damn mind because of this game and I can't lie, it's been entertaining.

You're welcome?

This is very obviously (like its predecessor) about mental health so I'd suggest you inform yourself before posting stupid stuff.

Is it obvious from this one video? I guess I must have missed it. That's interesting, though.

Man you managed to find so much stuff to be angry about this trailer I'm impressed. Seriously, I just looked at it and said "this is cool", while you go questioning the reasons of why she shouts orders without having any idea of the context of the scene.

I'm not at all angry.
As for the orders, remember, this was a presentation of gameplay. Are the orders button prompts? Are they automated dialogue?
More context would be nice in a gameplay presentation. But again, they were actually focused on graphics. That was my (intended) criticism, overall.

Imagine critiquing gameplay without even knowing the name of the character you're talking about despite her name being in the title of the game.

This thread is a goldmine lmao

I'm not critiquing gameplay, I'm critiquing a video presentation of gameplay. The character's name is irrelevant.

We should have a "guess that game" thread based on this reductive take.

We exist in a dark, empty container. Buildings fall from the skies and are of various shapes. They all appear to be constructed of four connected cubes. The closer the buildings fall, they disappear for some reason. If the buildings stack too highly and breach the ceiling of our dark empty container, we apparently lose? Like we die or something? Sometimes the game is faster. Sometimes slower.

If a gameplay trailer of Tetris was put forth in which the gameplay was actually obscured in favor of a near-cinematic setpiece emphasizing graphics and sound, then we could talk.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
There's nothing to complain about how it looks, it's the most impressive thing we've seen in terms of fidelity. Sadly, the demo itself was quite dull, they're not ready to show the game as such.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL

You should persist. The game was a huge deal for mental health and bringing awareness to it. What bothers you, is something some people live with on a daily basis and we should all experience it and get a taste of what some people have to live with. It's not trying to be dramatic or annoying.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
Im with you. I was blown away and then came here and shook my head in disbelief. 😂
I honestly can't believe people are downplaying this overall presentation…
fire, smoke, animations, transitions, environment,s, everything looks "thick" and "real" like if it's a CG not a videogame.
Its incredible!!
of course it's a more set piece moment but what's the problem with this?
there's thousands and thousands of games with those called "open" gameplays, that all feel and look the same…
if this game is more linear and more scripted i don't see any problem, specially if the quality on the screen in all the game is the same as shown in this trailer.
I liked a lot the first game and I think this will be even better with all the support from Microsoft.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020

The sound design is superb in Senua's Sacrifice, probably my favorite aspect of the game. The implementation of binaural audio creates an incredibly unsettling experience, it really fits the narrative and the overall theme of mental illness. I can see Ninja Theory doing some crazy things with the new 3D audio technology.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Those people that want to see gameplay. Although that might be too much to ask to understand on a video game forum
I have been here long enough to know that people always find something to complain about.

Microsoft showed Halo Infinite gameplay. It was fantastic from a gameplay perspective, and it played just as it plays today. What did people complain about? The visuals.

Microsoft showed off Hellblade II with what they described as a target, all rendered in engine, corroborated by Epic. What did people complain about? The complaint was that this was not what the game would look like when released, and that they wanted a fair representation of what the game would be.

They have shown what little they have of the game running and now people complain about wanting more gameplay from a game that is more than a year out. From a developer that last time shared developer diaries, and have been doing the same with this current game.

It is crazy. But people will be hype about logo's and teaser trailers.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly can't believe people are downplaying this overall presentation…
fire, smoke, animations, transitions, environment,s, everything looks "thick" and "real" like if it's a CG not a videogame.
Its incredible!!
of course it's a more set piece moment but what's the problem with this?
there's thousands and thousands of games with those called "open" gameplays, that all feel and look the same…
if this game is more linear and more scripted i don't see any problem, specially if the quality on the screen in all the game is the same as shown in this trailer.
I liked a lot the first game and I think this will be even better with all the support from Microsoft.

It is one of the most discussed games from last night so the presentation did it's job.