fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of video games use one or two pictures and prompt you to increase or reduce luminosity until you can barely see or not see one of them at all. I realized however that in 90% of games which have this feature, I am perfectly fine with the second picture being fully visible. In most of games, I do not feel at ease with the picutr being invisible and I have the feeling my eyes are going to have a harder time.

How do developers definie the right level of luminosity for a game?What is it to them?

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
I never follow the instructions because it's bullshit and never right. I always increase by 3 taps in every game and sometimes 4 taps.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I usually don't follow those instructions because it allows me to see stuff easier. No need to waste an inventory slot on visibility items when the brightness toggle does that for you. :)

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Always worked fine for me in the past. Would go until the picture was barely visible and then up one to three more, back towards the center, to be sure I wasn't going too far. Ever since I got a more premium screen, one that has a very accurate panel, I've found that I usually don't have to even touch the brightness slider at all.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Hmm, I always follow the instructions. Have I been doing it wrong?

I don't know, I feel like that's the way the developer wanted me to experience their game. Not that there is a right or wrong way to play a game but, I've never had any real issues with it so I'll probably stick to it.

Also, I think they want one picture "barely" visible 90% of the time. I've never seen one with a completely invisible image. That being said, barely visible is completely subjective so I guess it's whatever works for the player.

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
i find that, if you do proper calibration with a dedicated tool, you never need to adjust for specific games.

i've noticed that almost everything i put on my TV looks right ever since i calibrated it a while ago. even games that used to come with in-game calibration (Zelda games on N64 and TP)

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Set contrast to 0.

Congrats your TV is now properly calibrated. Enjoy as scenes go from grey to grey.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I never follow the instructions. If you want me to have some kind of imtended experience then calibrate it automatically.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm, I always follow the instructions. Have I been doing it wrong?

I don't know, I feel like that's the way the developer wanted me to experience their game. Not that there is a right or wrong way to play a game but, I've never had any real issues with it so I'll probably stick to it.

Also, I think they want one picture "barely" visible 90% of the time. I've never seen one with a completely invisible image. That being said, barely visible is completely subjective so I guess it's whatever works for the player.

no, developers aren't playing on low-quality, uncalibrated displays or in brightly lit environments like some consumers. but if you have a high quality, properly calibrated display in a properly lit room then you should follow the instructions. if you follow the instructions on your tv and you can't see anything, then duh, ignore the instructions

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
Please make sure to turn off any dynamic contrast and brightness settings on your TV or monitor before adjusting it in-game.

The developers want you to adjust the image so it looks as close as possible to how they intended. Every piece of visual media is mastered to look a certain way. It's to help convey the intended information (colours, gray-levels), emotion, etc.

Of course, you're free to adjust it yourself based on lighting conditions and preferance.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
The initial impression is always that brighter is better, so I'm guessing most people don't follow the recommendations and go with brighter. You're messing up the image and not viewing it as intended, which is especially egregious in games where darkness is a factor like horror games or Dark Souls for example. Sometimes all it takes is some minutes getting used to the darker image and you won't even miss the added brightness afterwards. Cranked up brightness is really commonplace in TVs, monitors and laptops, which is bad for the image and makes your eyes tire faster. It always comes down to preference of course, but without giving a chance to the "proper" settings (well, if you don't have a colorimeter, they will probably never be proper, but in this case we're just talking about following game indications), you're just missing out. Of course, the lighting in the room also plays a big part.

SuiQuan

Oct 25, 2017
Kazakhstan - soon
With a well calibrated TV/screen it should never be a problem. The only possible exception is a brightly lit room, but in this case it's Backlight that you mostly need more of (or Brightness, as Sony now calls it and adds a lot of confusion to TV calibration). But even with a very bright TV if the game has a lot of dark places Backlight will not help - can't make black brighter. In this case you could crank up the brightness (the black level), but you basically lose all contrast and destroy the originally intended image. If it's fine by you, then sure, by all means.
In summer where I live there is no nighttime - sun or daylight all day long. And my room is mostly white. I've dealt with this stuff for years now.

Also, I think people confuse Backlight and Brightness quite a lot. I have Backlight on max (but Sony calls it Brightness). But my actual brightness (Black Level) is 50 (out of 100) so that I don't get a grey veil over everything or crushed blacks.

Last edited:

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Friendly reminder to check your RGB settings are set correctly for your display.

If your display is calibrated correctly you shouldn't need to change the in-game setting.

Deleted member 37687

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
i follow them but if i feel like if it feels like have to constantly put effort to make it out wtf is going when gets dak then i start adjusting it on my own.

SuiQuan

Oct 25, 2017
Kazakhstan - soon
Friendly reminder to check your RGB settings are set correctly for your display.

If your display is calibrated correctly you shouldn't need to change the in-game setting.
Exactly this. But to be honest, calibrating a TV is a hassle now, all with Brightness, Blacklevel, dynamic range, 8, 10, 12 bits etc... TVs have become too complex for many people and I've seem more horribly calibrated screens than I'd like.

Oct 25, 2017
I was playing resident evil revelations 2 on handheld mode on Switch and it was impossible to make the image not visible.

really weird stuff.

GamerEra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most games should be fine with default brightness settings, assuming you have proper picture settings on your TV.

PensivePen

Oct 25, 2017
If you properly calibrate your TV you should be able to leave it at default for the majority of games and have a good looking image (even if it doesn't exactly match what the display image tells you). I try not to worry about it too much for most games, but for horror games I do try and get it looking the way the developers suggest since those games tend to rely a ton on lighting, even more so than other genres.

Bloodborne's brightness calibration baffles me. On every monitor I've played it on it's virtually impossible to get it looking the way the image suggests without messing with the monitor settings to the point that it looks ridiculous. I just leave my settings alone for that one like I do every other game and turn the in-game brightness down.

Straight up broken in Resident Evil 6
The worst one I have ever seen, the brightness adjustment image is completely useless in that game.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Those settings are just to ensure that you can see what you should be able to see regardless of your lighting conditions.

Should be fully dark if you are in a dark room and much brighter if you are in daylight or a well lit room. That is all

It just saves you having to constantly adjust your TV

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Unless the game itself looks wrong, I always leave this at the default setting.
My display is properly calibrated, and changing this from the default looks wrong in the majority of games.
In fact, most games are only providing a gamma control, and even at the lowest value it will not be possible for the object to disappear on a properly calibrated display.

A test pattern like this one, instructing you to set the TV's brightness to the lowest possible value where you still see the checkerboard pattern animating, would be more appropriate.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Exactly this. But to be honest, calibrating a TV is a hassle now, all with Brightness, Blacklevel, dynamic range, 8, 10, 12 bits etc... TVs have become too complex for many people and I've seem more horribly calibrated screens than I'd like.

Yeah TVs especially have terrible out-of-the-box settings to make pictures pop on store shelves.

My favorite tool for calibration is http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...9-blu-ray-mp4-calibration.html#/topics/948496

Has heaps of stuff but the only ones I use are for black/white level and 1:1 pixel mapping. I try to keep white level neutral, and I like colours a little more saturated for games (but normal for live content).

Nov 8, 2017
I always use the default setting. I've never had any problems on either my old Philips LCD TV (2009) or my current LG OLED C7.

I always felt like if I need to adjust it, then it would mean my TV is not set up properly.

Nov 4, 2017
I turn it down all the way. Makes the lighting look cooler. Really helped in Resident Evil 6 and Dragon's Dogma especially.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Honestly I just leave it as is, maybe knock it down a bit so the second pic is slightly less visible. My TV is calibrated OK and all dynamic settings are disabled.
On the other hand my roommate will bump up the brightness, but her vision isn't great so whatever helps.

Skip

Oct 25, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

Madness.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
With a well calibrated TV, I've found that I never have to change this setting. It's for poorly calibrated TVs to at least get to a semblance of the right brightness. Unfortunately, with how most TVs stock settings are configured, this means that the ideal brightness level comes with crushed blacks due to poor contrast and hue settings.

Get the Disney wow bluray for an easy calibration experience.
EDIT holy fuck that is crazy expensive now for some reason. Get something else instead lol

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I rarely have to change it from default with my settings unless it's HDR since that varies from TV to TV since standards aren't in place yet. The guidelines are usually pretty accurate and are just meant for the player to be able to take in the intended atmosphere even if the base settings on their TV is off.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I always follow these instruction to get the best of the experience. If the result is too dark, chance that's exactly what devs wanted.

But it's not exactly a crime to ignore it.

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
With a well calibrated TV, I've found that I never have to change this setting. It's for poorly calibrated TVs to at least get to a semblance of the right brightness. Unfortunately, with how most TVs stock settings are configured, this means that the ideal brightness level comes with crushed blacks due to poor contrast and hue settings.

Get the Disney wow bluray for an easy calibration experience.
EDIT holy fuck that is crazy expensive now for some reason. Get something else instead lol

$15 on Amazon for DVD. Is that too much for this type of thing and is Blu-ray much better? Can't find it.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
The fuck does "barely visible" even mean. Because it's always still "barely visible" for me way down into stupidly low brightness settings that make the game unplayable. I always have to guess what the hell they're going for.