• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

E37fDOeXwAkmH5B

A few things to note in this scenario:
I originally thought it might be Sony's own mislabeling mistake, however the fact it shows up inside the trailer itself, likely means that this is what was given to PlayStation by Ubisoft, rather than just a mislabeling on PlayStation side.
In their Press Release Ubisoft themselves have outright stated the game will be available exclusively on Next Generation consoles, PC and cloud services.

With these 2 notes together, what most likely happened was Avatar was developed as a cross generation game, and recently they decided to cancel the PS4 and Xbox One versions, these PlayStation channels had likely received the trailers ahead of time before the last gen versions have been cancelled.

While this doesnt necessarily add anything new here, I do think that this is an interesting added perspective on the game's development.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
The game has been in development for quite a while, I'm sure it was meant to come out sooner along the movie sequel, but once that delayed, the game was given an opportunity to have more time too.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember a journalist, maybe even jschreier , saying something like "just because a game is announced next-gen only doesn't mean it wasn't cross-gen for a while".

I could see especially Ubisoft trying to will a last-gen version into existence. Maybe it wasn't coming along as they'd hoped. Maybe the weak last-gen sales from some cross-gen titles discouraged them to force their teams to develop more version.

OP
OP
modiz

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
So the trailer they showed was the ps4 version?
Nah, it was probably running on PC at the highest preset they have (if that was even real time at all), but if this wasnt a labeling misake by Ubisoft, then the implication is there was a PS4 version in development until recently which has since been cancelled.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
Nah, it was probably running on PC at the highest preset they have (if that was even real time at all), but if this wasnt a labeling misake by Ubisoft, then the implication is there was a PS4 version in development until recently which has since been cancelled.
I have to watch it again, but the first time it did not seem next gen to me.