• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Less than a week after New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo instilled an executive order limiting the number of people at Thanksgiving gatherings, several upstate sheriffs say they plan to ignore it.

Cuomo's order limits the number of people New York residents can have in their private homes to 10.

"New York follows the science. We know indoor gatherings and parties are a major source of COVID spread. To slow the spread, NYS will limit indoor gatherings at private residences to 10 people. This limit takes effect Friday at 10pm," he tweeted on November 11.

Two days later, sheriffs around Albany started speaking against the measure.

"I don't think the Constitution allows for the infringement on the number of people in your own home," he said. "He has authority to do a lot but not to tell law enforcement to get into someone's house and count who is there.

"My position as a sheriff is that I took the same oath the governor did... and I don't take any issue with the governors intent... to do what is best under the circumstances, but as a constitutional officer I have an obligation to the constituents in my county to follow that law," he said.

I have no plans to utilize my office's resources or Deputies to break up the great tradition of Thanksgiving dinner," Erie County Sheriff Timothy B. Howard said Monday. "My office will respect the sanctity of your home and traditions, and I encourage you to follow your heart and act responsibly, as well as do what's best for your family."

Likewise, Saratoga County Sheriff Michael Zurlo questioned how it would be a good use of employees.

"I can't see how devoting our resources to counting cars in citizens' driveways or investigating how much turkey and dressing they've purchased is for the public good," he said in a press release.

www.cnn.com

Several sheriffs in upstate New York say they will ignore Gov. Cuomo's order to limit Thanksgiving guests | CNN

Less than a week after New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo instilled an executive order limiting the number of people at Thanksgiving gatherings, several upstate sheriffs say they plan to ignore it.

....They can choose which law to ignore and which one to use?

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Entire Sheriff system needs to be disbanded. This is not the 1800s with Wide distances between cities and peoples. Local Police Forces should be established that are bound to the State government instead of these Elected Lawmen who only answer to voters who are likely to be right wing nuts in the first place

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
This seems like a bit of posturing. There's not realistic way to enforce that order and everyone knows that. No need to state the obvious, Law and Order (but only when it's convenient) Types.

Obviously no one expects cops to go busting in homes, dragging families out over thanksgiving.

The point was to inform New Yorkers simply to keep thanksgiving small this year.

I bet if we took some of the increased healthcare costs of those that end up in the hospital after catching COVID over thanksgiving out the police pension fund they'd change their tune with the fucking quickness...

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow. Congratulation on passing the bar, sheriffs!

But in all honestly, screw them. They're putting their own communities at risk.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This seems like a bit of posturing. There's not realistic way to enforce that order and everyone knows that. No need to state the obvious, Law and Order (but only when it's convenient) Types.

Obviously no one expects cops to go busting in homes, dragging families out over thanksgiving.

The point was to inform New Yorkers simply to keep thanksgiving small this year.

I bet if we took some of the increased healthcare costs of those that end up in the hospital after catching COVID over thanksgiving out the police pension fund they'd change their tune with the fucking quickness...
Its not just posturing though. They will refuse anything even mask mandates etc. The situation with Arizona alarming the White House now. You can pick which counties have sheriffs defying state orders by how bad the county is doing.

Sheriffs answer to no one but the voters and are typically in what's essentially redneck counties. So they have decided they know the constitution better that Governors, Legislatures, courts etc.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
That's fine, honestly. This should really be a job for public health and bylaw enforcement anyways, two things the police don't need to be involved in. I would suggest diverting funds normally in the police budget for these functions towards these other services instead.

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda agree with the sheriffs here, they can't count people in their homes. Its impossible for them really. Its the families that should be responsible and vigilant here.

fadeawayjae

May 31, 2019
I mean it is unrealistic for them to go into everyone home to see how many people are inside, but if they get tips that houses are having big parties with several people I would hope they would at least intervene.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
But let more than a few black people gather in a single area and suddenly it's "Ya'll shouldn't be hanging around here. I need you to disperse."

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They still can't go into homes and tell people to get out or limit them. That's still on families. Like this would ultimately be on them having the common sense not to get together.

They can inform and encourage, that's the least they can do. They are wrong because they are crying about Thanksgiving tradition, ignoring the pandemic that will cause many preventable deaths. Their comments alone will embolden people to go against the state's guidance and common sense.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
Yeah, if people were responsible and would listen to reason, we wouldn't all be in this mess right now.
They're not.

crimnos

Oct 27, 2017
Not even a page yet and this thread is wild. The whole idea of law and order falls apart when you can have any Billy Bob backwoods sheriff deciding what is and isn't constitutional.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Well once again america showing it's ass, this whole idea that police can come out and say that aren't gonna enforce a law is insane, it isn't about if they can or can't, to openly come out publicly and say you won't do your actual job and that's totally fine in the usa when you're a public servant is stupid, if he thinks it isn't legal take it to court and argue the case as such and have it deemed that way, but apparently you can just jump over that step if you want in the usa. Also hope a lot of families this year in the usa are ready to give thanks with family for the last time because a lot of them will die and it'll be their own faults, yet somehow like always they'll never learn from their actions and blame everyone else.

Also to those saying it isn't legal anyway and it's up to families to decide, yeah you're past that point, if it's legal or not should he tested in court and decided and then it can be modified or taken down, it probably isn't legal under the stupid constitution you guys have still but the fact that you have over 250k dead Americans and over a million new cases in 10 days of this virus and yet you still stumping for the "it's up to the people to decide" bs is insane, the people can't decide shit because they're selfish fucks and won't do what's needed to sort the issue out for the whole country if it puts them out at all, it's ridiculously stupid that Americans keep giving their people the benefit of the doubt.

Jive Turkey

Oct 25, 2017
....They can choose which law to ignore and which one to use?
That's how the Republican gubernatorial candidate here in Washington rose to fame. He was a police chief who refused to enforce a voter-approved law raising the minimum age for purchasing assault rifles. Naturally, he became a right wing messiah and faced no repercussions.

Fortunately the story has a happy ending as he lost in a landslide and then lost his job a week later. Of course, like his lord and savior, he refuses to concede and is claiming massive voter fraud.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My girlfriend's redneck ass family from upstate NY were whining about these restrictions on Facebook. These types of rules are basically unenforceable in most rural areas anyway but it still illustrates how delusionally selfish these types of isolated people can be. These are the types of people that voted for Trump only to have the GOP come -this- close to stripping their healthcare with the AHCA in 2017.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Cut their funding next FY and when they ask why just say we want to allocate it to people who do their jobs and take their positions as public servants seriously. I'm sure state funding nfor medical professionals will be needed by then anyway given our shit show of a response. Not that I live in NY (I live in CA) but states who are experiencing these kinds of Sheriffs should probably do so.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
It's a bullshit order anyway and the sheriffs are correct. It's impossible to enforce.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY sucks, news at 11.

Who cares, NY would be Kentucky without the NYC metro area, bunch of morons

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
To be fair, there's no point in police busting into the Thanksgiving dinner of someone because they have eleven people. It's impossible to enforce these measures without abuse of force.

If only American cops always thought this way...

Veezy

Oct 27, 2017
I would understand, not agree but understand, if the argument was "it's going to be difficult for us to go home to home and limit the number of people in a private residence while still maintaining our number of responsibilities." However, the argument of "we feel this is unconstitutional, therefor we're not going to enforce it" just doesn't work. You're a sheriff, not a judge. My understanding was a sheriff had to have their staff enforce what they're told to. Stop and frisk wasn't constitutional, but they enforced that, why is this different? I mean, we know why, but why try to make the dumb argument?

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would understand, not agree but understand, if the argument was "it's going to be difficult for us to go home to home and limit the number of people in a private residence while still maintaining our number of responsibilities." However, the argument of "we feel this is unconstitutional, therefor we're not going to enforce it" just doesn't work. You're a sheriff, not a judge. My understanding was a sheriff had to have their staff enforce what they're told to. Stop and frisk wasn't constitutional, but they enforced that, why is this different? I mean, we know why, but why try to make the dumb argument?
Sheriff's probably are not the correct entity to enforce this. It should probably be the fire marshal.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
I was readying my pitchfork but the sheriff's quote isn't that bad at all, even encouraging families to "act responsibly". Kinda makes sense that it's unenforceable and an impractical way to use the police force.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's basically meaningless to enforce anyway. By the time someone shows up to break it up people will already have infected one another. This is the most sensible example of local law enforcement not enforcing covid regulations yet

You can't enforce your way out of a pandemic, the only way to end it is through voluntary compliance.

Last edited:

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
It's basically meaningless to enforce anyway. By the time someone shows up to break it up people will already have infected one another. This is the most sensible example of local law enforcement not enforcing covid regulations yet

You can't enforce your way out of a pandemic, the only way to end it is through voluntary compliance.

I don't agree. It would work by the power of example and word of mouth. You hear about your neighbour getting fined a hefty sum and had their private party broken up by the cops (or whatever force in this case) you ARE gonna think twice about doing the same thing. In fact, i dare say that this is the ONLY way most people are gonna change their habits, because listening to reasonable advice? Yeah, done that. Didn't work.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
As others have said, not really enforceable, and sheriffs are elected. Perfect lip service for the base.

Barrel_Roll

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
These sheriffs are from the same parts of the state where every house has a "Repeal the SAFE Act" yard sign.