Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Buncha news stories came out in the last few hours about an incoming geomagnetic event and I think that's neat.

apnews.com

Strong solar storm could disrupt communications and produce northern lights in US

An unusually strong solar storm headed toward Earth could produce northern lights in the U.S. and potentially disrupt power and communications this weekend.

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — An unusually strong solar storm headed toward Earth could produce northern lights in the U.S. this weekend and potentially disrupt power and communications.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration issued a rare geomagnetic storm watch — the first in nearly 20 years. That was expected to become a warning Friday night, when the effects of the solar outburst were due to reach Earth.

NOAA already has alerted operators of power plants and spacecraft in orbit to take precautions.

"As far as the worst situation expected here at Earth, that's tough to say and I wouldn't want to speculate on that," said NOAA space weather forecaster Shawn Dahl. "However, severe level is pretty extraordinary, It's a very rare event to happen."

These events can have some pretty genuine ramifications and have done a fair bit of damage. In the past, we've experienced loss of power and communications during large-scale events of this nature. The Carrington Event of 1859 being the most drastic example, as it resulted in malfunctioning telegraph wires and a relatively complete shutdown of communications.

It's also likely that a large chunk of the continental US will be able to see auroras for the first time during it!

While it's possible that the whole thing is going to be fairly scary and dramatic, it's also equally possible that we just get to see some neat stuff going down in the sky. Feel bad for anyone that has to entertain conspiracy theorists, though.

'Nother source, just in case:

inb4 Assassin's Creed.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Would be nice to see the aurora. Hope we weather it well.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Never seen the aurora before. Usually, and even then very rarely, it's visible in the northernmost part of the Netherlands, not where I live. But they're saying you can see it everywhere this weekend.

They are expecting cloud cover for tonight, but tomorrow should be clear skies.

Got to work tonight so I will have plenty of time to watch if it's indeed visible.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
A Carrington Event is going to happen again, it's just a matter of time. I just hope it's not this time.

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
We are already in the visible zone for aurora here in SW England, but it's still light of course, and will be for many hours yet. Fairly clear skies here, but also hazy, so I don't like my chances. Did see it earlier this year, very faintly, which is pretty rare this far south.

Jan 4, 2021
giphy.gif
I hope the Mario 64 speedrunners are ready

Nahbac

Nov 11, 2018
Genuine question, how much would electrical wires running underground be affected by a Carrington Event? I imagine it would be pretty much negligible but I'm curious if there's any merit to having something like that buffer zone

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
Quote from @ExploreCosmos_ https://x.com/ExploreCosmos_/status/1788550830024728733

Sunspot AR3664 has expanded to a size comparable to the Carrington sunspot of 1859, measuring ~200,000 km across, ~15 times wider than Earth. While current solar activity doesn't pose a threat of such scale it's prudent to monitor AR3664 as Earth enters its potential strike zone.

andylsun

Oct 29, 2017
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrington_Event

I'm not going to tell, you have to click on the link if you want to know. :)

Check out the near miss in 2012. Would have been about the same level

science.nasa.gov

Near Miss: The Solar Superstorm of July 2012 - NASA Science

July 23, 2014: If an asteroid big enough to knock modern civilization back to the 18th century appeared out of deep space and buzzed the Earth-Moon system, the near-miss would be instant worldwide headline news. Two years ago, Earth experienced a close shave just as perilous, but most newspapers...

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
Check out the near miss in 2012. Would have been about the same level

science.nasa.gov

Near Miss: The Solar Superstorm of July 2012 - NASA Science

July 23, 2014: If an asteroid big enough to knock modern civilization back to the 18th century appeared out of deep space and buzzed the Earth-Moon system, the near-miss would be instant worldwide headline news. Two years ago, Earth experienced a close shave just as perilous, but most newspapers...
Oh I know. I think the media largely ignores it because most people don't understand what it is, whereas something like a meteor strike is easier to comprehend.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
A "severe" geomagnetic storm is now in progress, according to NOAA's Space Weather Prediction Center, raising hopes for a dazzling display of the Northern Lights on Friday night while also putting infrastructure operators on guard for potential electrical effects from the solar event.

The SWPC says satellites observed levels that reached level 4 on their 5-point scale of geomagnetic activity as of 12:37 p.m. ET.

Geomagnetic storms can impact infrastructure in near-Earth orbit and on Earth's surface, potentially disrupting communications, the electric power grid, navigation, radio and satellite operations, the SWPC says.

NOAA space weather forecasters have observed at least seven coronal mass ejections (CMEs) from the sun, with the first impacts arriving early Friday afternoon ET. Heightened solar conditions are expected to persist perhaps as long as Sunday.

But most notable from strong geomagnetic events are brilliant displays of the Northern Lights that may reach much farther south than typical displays. The SWPC says that if the storm reaches predicted levels, the aurora could be seen as far south as Alabama and Northern California.

"This is an unusual and potentially historic event," the SPWC said Friday.

www.foxweather.com

'Severe' solar storm arrives, likely to trigger Northern Lights as far south as Alabama tonight

A "severe" geomagnetic storm is now in progress, according to NOAA's Space Weather Prediction Center, raising hopes for a dazzling display of the Northern Lights on Friday night while also putting infrastructure operators on guard for potential electrical effects from the solar event.

T12sV9D.gif

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
I have a nice, elevated spot here in the PNW and we should have near zero cloud cover. I am very much looking forward to checking this out!