henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
netflix making an announcement like this generally means people are watching the show. i could care less what the exact numbers are to be honest. if you think these are "fake" numbers to drum up interest in the shows why wouldnt they do it for all of them?

Deaf Spacker

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
All I can say is that it doesn't help that the figures Netflix have released use different measurements for each show and there's nothing to back the figures up.

If that's not a red flag then what is?

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a sucker for any high school/coming of age kind of stories and thought this was a lot of fun.

Yup, I have no idea if it was just written to be filmed in America and they changed their mind but didn't bother changing the scripts.
I don't think any schools in the UK are anything like that with lockers, named sports teams, letterman jackets, pennants everywhere, that style of school logo, trailer parks, small village gospel choirs. Weirdly the one thing that a ton of UK schools seem to have actually adopted is calling the school dance a "prom", this show went with the more British "ball".
None of it bothered me, or ruined any enjoyment, it just seemed really strange.

The 80s styles and stuff didn't throw me off much, that felt kind of just like the 80s being back in fashion. What really did stick out were all of the old cars.

Parts of the show do feel like they came from an algorithm or something that threw popular things into a blender to get the biggest numbers possible, including having the word 'sex' in the title of the show. It is well made though. Doesn't say very much but is enjoyable.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
As for Eric, feel you're being too harsh there. For one thing, Adam's storyline past Episode 1 for example pretty much matched that dour tone as well due to him constantly failing his father for one reason or another, as well as him feeling generally isolated from basically everyone else. And Eric did have confidence before the beating. You could see it in his wardrobe, or agreeing to teach the popular girls how to give a proper blowjob, dressing up for the Hedwig movie, etc. etc. He may not be popular, but you don't do stuff like that unless you have confidence. What Ep. 5 did was tear down his confidence and made him feel like he should tone down his flamboyance and what not, but fortunately he got that spark back towards the end. At best, I would say that it seems that his classmates hadn't seen some of his more extragavant outfits until the dance in Ep. 7, but it's not like he was exactly hiding who he was up until that point.

That's a good point. Eric was already a very confident person - namely for being one of only two out gays at school and also for the other reasons you mentioned, but I think that's all the more reason for him not to have had to suffer a beating in order to gain that extra little boost needed to make him comfortable with wearing his more feminine outfits to school. He was already so close that I feel like the writers made him go through a little too much to get there, you know?

Really, I just like Eric a lot and didn't want to see him hurt :(

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
This show was so weird to watch, it's completely American yet set in the UK. It's like at the last second they decided to switch from being based in the US to the UK.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
This show was so weird to watch, it's completely American yet set in the UK. It's like at the last second they decided to switch from being based in the US to the UK.

It was deliberately done apparently.

I'm not sure if they nailed it but they wanted it to feel American enough for US audiences but British enough for us over here to get the humour and dialogue.

My partner loved the show, and I feel like it was well done, weird style aside. The whole "6th formers acting like American high school students" bit yet talking like, well, 6th formers, was a bit too jarring.

The storylines were solid, however.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's a good point. Eric was already a very confident person - namely for being one of only two out gays at school and also for the other reasons you mentioned, but I think that's all the more reason for him not to have had to suffer a beating in order to gain that extra little boost needed to make him comfortable with wearing his more feminine outfits to school. He was already so close that I feel like the writers made him go through a little too much to get there, you know?

Really, I just like Eric a lot and didn't want to see him hurt :(

I completely get what you mean. I don't particularly have a strict issue with it, but it was definitely hard to watch, especially with his consistent positivity being a huge reason why he was my favorite character.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
I loved this series. Binged it for sure.

But my god does EVERYONE have to be so goddamn stereotypical? Like, you can literally predict exactly what is going to happen and how each character is going to react.

And also everyone is so stereotypical it becomes almost unbearable at times.

Like during the second to last episode, when the mom was going off on the repairman, I announced he was going to respond with x and y and that's exactly what he said. Exactly. !!!!

I'm glad I'm not the only person that thought this. The entire show seemed like a bunch of stereotypical characters put into stereotypical situations and reacting to them in predictably stereotypical ways. The actors were charming enough that it doesn't sink the show, but knowing everything that was gonna happen before it happened definitely soured my experience with it.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still super confused by the look of Sex Education. It looks like someone took elements from the 70s, 90s and 2000s and said this is what the UK looks like today.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I am used to not reading description of episodes/series, not watching previews, and not even seeing how long is the season (number of episodes). You guys have no idea how pissed I am that the season finished, because I was not expecting for it to be the last one.

Great season, can't wait for the next one. I have a huge crush on Maeve (is this a common name?).

I'm still super confused by the look of Sex Education. It looks like someone took elements from the 70s, 90s and 2000s and said this is what the UK looks like today.
At some point I was like, OMG the entire show is going on in the 70s! Then I remembered that texting and photo sharing is a thing so, well, no. I like that they have old phones though, I believe the Android phone that one of the characters has still has Android 4 (ICS). So nice not to see iPhones everywhere. I also laughed at someone using Hangouts but saying for the other person to "Skype" later.

Annatar86

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
So noone is going to mention that in episode 6 there is an Italian song playing in the background (Lo Stregone) that is super racist? It uses the Italian equivalent of the n- word and all the sentences attributed to this black wizard are stereothipical monkey-like sounds?

They go so far to shove minority representation down your throat (this series was ok I feel like, nothing seemed too forced), and then they completely overlook any material that is not in their original language.
Meh

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
I sorta binged this show in two days. Strangely loved it. Gillian Anderson is amazing and Butterfield is not where I sorta expected him to be (meaning in a good way).

So noone is going to mention that in episode 6 there is an Italian song playing in the background (Lo Stregone) that is super racist? It uses the Italian equivalent of the n- word and all the sentences attributed to this black wizard are stereothipical monkey-like sounds?

They go so far to shove minority representation down your throat (this series was ok I feel like, nothing seemed too forced), and then they completely overlook any material that is not in their original language.
Meh

Yikes. I couldn't have possibly caught that. Sounds like some kind of oversight, but I really can't be sure.

E: seems it is a cover https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_Doctor_(song)

Last edited:

Auctopus

Self-requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Had to drop out of this show around the 5th episode when they try to make it seem like Maeve is a difficult girl to understand when Jackson could've gone on to TvTropes and found her character archetype and the dozens of other pieces of media it appears in.

Might go back eventually as I found the first couple episodes pretty fresh. Just didn't dig the "She likes Nirvana? AND EMILY BRONTE?!!! I just don't understaaaand her"

(Props to them for showing what actually happens during an abortion clinic appointment though - I think a lot of guys needed to see that in popular media.)

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I started watching this yesterday with low expectations and binged the the whole thing.

I absolutely loved it.

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
I enjoyed this. A good series to binge watch when you're feeling sick. Excellent acting. It's kinda weird that it feels like an American high School drama with British accents. Guess it's the sunny setting.
But
I felt nothing for this character. He was a total asshole.throughout the whole thing and I'm totally on the father's side.I also called the gay turn at the beginning.this was done fairly well but I don't see it as redeeming his character in any way

HotTakeCakes

Alt account
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Reading
How weird to randomly watch the trailer, recognise some of the locations and then realise this was filmed not even 5 minutes away from where I live. Now it makes sense as to why a massive trailer was parked outside the gates of the old university (been closed for a few years) back last year and why one night one of the pubs here was packed with what we thought were students from somewhere.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I usually don't care and tend to stay away from fictional pairings but I need a season two so that Ottis and Maeve becomes a thing. I love the dynamic between the two.

I've never come across a casts of characters that I like so much.

Oct 28, 2017
I usually don't care and tend to stay away from fictional pairings but I need a season two so that Ottis and Maeve becomes a thing. I love the dynamic between the two.

I've never come across a casts of characters that I like so much.

It would be nice where the male and female lead didnt get together. It seems to be a foregone conclusion in tv for this to happen.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would be nice where the male and female lead didnt get together. It seems to be a foregone conclusion in tv for this to happen.

I've seen quite a few shows/anime/movies where the leads doesn't get together recently so I'm personally tired of that trope.

Everything is a Trope nowadays. I'm not using that word again concerning SE after this post. I like the dynamic between Maeve and Ottis more than I like the other pairings involving those two characters.

Firewithin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Orange County
Finished this last night and really like it.

Girl who plays Maeve has to be related to Margot robbie somehow. Looks like a younger sister

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

You bring it up like it's this super obvious thing everyone caught and decided to ignore.

They go so far to shove minority representation down your throat (this series was ok I feel like, nothing seemed too forced)

Uh huh...

Nah, screw that, no shame in following that trope lol

I only think its nice if they genuinely lack any chemistry, or are clearly not right for each other.

Annatar86

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
You bring it up like it's this super obvious thing everyone caught and decided to ignore.

Considering the hype train for Bella Ciao in "Money Heist" and the fact that a lot of fellow Italians are active on Etcetera, well, I expected not to be the first one to notice yeah.

And no, I doubt that if someone had noticed they would have ignored it.

It's just a real shame that something like this would go through Netflix's approval, because it's actually very enjoyable, despite some common tropes.

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
Have a soft spot for degrassi drama, so this was great. Aside from ola(?) anyways. She's just a shallow plot device for shipblocking with maeve and otis. Id put money on her character damn near disappearing after 2 or so episodes in s2.

MizneyWorld

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Finished the show with my wife, then promptly went out to the mall to visit the specialty candy shop and bought a couple of Curly Wurlys. Terrible! I just assumed it would be crunchy.

Great show tho. Throughly enjoyed it and look forward to a season 2.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Binge watched it in 2 days, it was so good. And refreshing in how it avoided so many stereotypes! Can't wait for season 2

smuf

Oct 27, 2017
On episode 5 of this, enjoying it so far. The soundtrack is really good. Love Ezra Furman getting some exposure.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Just finished watching the series.. fucking brilliant..

Didn't think the Americanised British thing was going work but I was wrong.

Loved it

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watched the first episode of this and strongly disliked it. I'm a little surprised how much everyone seems to like it.

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
Ahh yes, this show that's set in English village called America-Town during the year two thousand and nineteen eighty.

Good but very tropey, me and the gf pretty much called every plot, and just couldn't get around how it feels like the show is written by somehow who watched tapes of John Hughes films that someone recorded a few episodes of The Inbetweeners on at various points.

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A show composed of so many elements that should disqualify it yet they all work together somehow. Very fun and great colors.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
The scene where Jackson
sings a Billy Ocean song to Maeve on the back of deliberately bad advice from Otis, but pulls it off anyway because he's just that cool, was amazing.

You could see Otis quietly go through the horror and grief of watching the results of the 2016 US election or the Brexit vote come in while having to pretend he was happy.

It helps that Love Really Hurts Wothout You is an incredibly catchy and appropriate song given who Maeve is.

catskratch

Oct 25, 2017
Had my mind blown about this, I knew she looked familiar!
Who-Plays-Jackson-Blond-Mom-Netflix-Sex-Education.png

=

giphy.gif