twinturbo2

Oct 27, 2017
Jupiter, FL
That's true. Hopefully the teases they posted at E3 have their licenses secured like the MvC and Sega ones.

I definitely won't have room for multiple cabs, but does anyone think it might be possible for these guys to sell conversion kits? Maybe sell just the control box/hardware with different button setup/games.
If they do an MVC cab, they should get all of Capcom's arcade games with the Marvel license. Go all out, it'll sell to Capcom diehards and Marvel diehards alike.

senatom

Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile at EB Games Australia:

image.png

That's one hell of a markup, don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Some quick impressions from the EVO floor..

Machine is nice, cabinet art is perfect.

Sf 2 stick and buttons. Very loose stick , but feels pretty good. Buttons are alright. The edges /rims are a bit hard. They are easy to press though.

Joystick height seems to work, even though it's slightly higher than normal on the cabinet. Two players are doable but a bit cramped.

Screen is what you would expect from an LCD. It looks fine at a glance, would benefit from a filter with some scan lines. For the price, I'm letting it slide.

They wouldn't say what type of emulation Games ran fine though from my quick sessions.

To select a game while in another, press and hold start for 5 secs and press jab (a).

As mentioned, they will only sell the riser and not the chairs since retailers didn't buy the chairs. If you need a chair, they are not hard to find.

Volume seemed okay even in the crowded EVO exhibit area. There are three levels.

One of the cabinets had a busted right player stick which to be fair had a huge dude shaking that thing like his life depended on it. All the others were okay with normal play and didn't move while playing. Still, wondering how the stick is mounted and if that's a concern because of that one broken one.

Asteroids was like I remember. Will get more time later, and answer any questions you may have.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Figured we'd start to hear some impressions coming out of EVO. Thanks for sharing, and I'm eager to hear what others have to say.

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
I checked these out at Evo this weekend.

I had preordered the Asteroids and Centipede ones, mainly because I am interested in the trackball/spinner controllers. I did try the Rampage and Street Fighter II cabinets also, though.

The monitors look like cheap TN panels, with mediocre viewing angles. That said, they're not horrible screens and are pretty servicable if you're standing right in front of the cabinet.

The joysticks were pretty terrible, I had a lot of problems doing shoryuken-type motions, and at least one stick was already flaky and broken (of course, maybe they weren't built to true arcade durability standards and they are out on public display at Evo). They are their own custom sticks from what I can tell and they don't look like they mount the way that real arcade sticks mount (didn't see four screw holes near the opening for the stick in the control panel, so not sure how they are mounted into the cabinet).

The worst thing is that the trackball and spinner are nearly unusable. Real trackballs and spinners are analog controllers, for each axis they output two square waves as a signal with the phase of the waves indicating direction and the frequency of the waves as velocity. These controllers felt very digital, sort of like they had discrete steps like a rotary encoder. This makes makes many of the games unplayable IMHO. On the spinner you can actually feel the individual stops. For example, if you want to move quickly in a game like Major Havoc, you'd spin the spinner quickly, but because it seems like they are using an encoder if you move the spinner fast enough you can seem to wrap the spinner around and actually cause your character to move the WRONG way. If you spin the trackball quickly you get jittery, stuttery motion in every game I tried (Millipede, Crystal Castles, Missile Command).

I'm kinda crushed that these are IMHO not very good and I just cancelled my preorder :( I think that if you're into the joystick controlled games then you'll have a better time, but I already have a real cabinet so there's not much point for me personally.

One more point of trivia - Gauntlet in the Rampage cabinet is the 2P version of the game, because the original Gauntlet had one joystick for each of the four characters. With only three joysticks one character would become unplayable, so they are using the 2P version of the game that allows character selection at the beginning of the game, leaving the third joystick unused.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
EVO Impressions

Authentic stickers
Well built
Sticks definitely not up to par. But then again, most of the time at the arcade you had to deal with these imperfections as well. Some levers were loose, others stiff and clicked to certain sides. Buttons were ok.
Monitor was fine, sound was ok
For nostalgia sake these are ok, but if you really want to sit down and get a fair game in, i'd replace the sticks.

Only played 1 SF match though, will definitely try to get in more tomorrow

Mdsfx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh man. I would really like to dissect a control panel. If i can sneak a happ stick in there at the very least that would be great. Not holding out much hope though...

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I had a very long discussion with the people at the booth. As far as the SF2 cabinet, they have taken some of the feedback from EVO and want to fix some of the complaints before launch (which ones he didn't say), and I'm not sure many can be addressed in a short time since they launch in less than two months, but they were genuinely interested in feedback. They do want to improve their overall quality and the showing at EVO was invaluable to them in getting what people liked and disliked

They do have a list of improvements that they want to add to the next batch of cabinets. They never thought about scanlines, they actually thought people wanted crt monitors and not a simple filter. They know now.

Overall, I think it might be worth it for the price if you don't have actual cabinets. They are a cool novelty and conversation piece for sure. I'm going to be modding mine with better buttons etc.

Superblatt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I had a very long discussion with the people at the booth. As far as the SF2 cabinet, they have taken some of the feedback from EVO and want to fix some of the complaints before launch (which ones he didn't say), and I'm not sure many can be addressed in a short time since they launch in less than two months, but they were genuinely interested in feedback. They do want to improve their overall quality and the showing at EVO was invaluable to them in getting what people liked and disliked

They do have a list of improvements that they want to add to the next batch of cabinets. They never thought about scanlines, they actually thought people wanted crt monitors and not a simple filter. They know now.

Overall, I think it might be worth it for the price if you don't have actual cabinets. They are a cool novelty and conversation piece for sure. I'm going to be modding mine with better buttons etc.

This is awesome feedback thanks for passing along. Did they give any indicator on how flexible the control panel is for modding the buttons and sticks?

Mdsfx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is awesome feedback thanks for passing along. Did they give any indicator on how flexible the control panel is for modding the buttons and sticks?
I got nothing from the Twitter team on that. Told me to watch the assembly video in case it was helpful. It would be nice to swap joysticks without ruining the control panel art/overlay.

Epinephrine

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
Some quick impressions from the EVO floor..

Machine is nice, cabinet art is perfect.

Sf 2 stick and buttons. Very loose stick , but feels pretty good. Buttons are alright. The edges /rims are a bit hard. They are easy to press though.

Joystick height seems to work, even though it's slightly higher than normal on the cabinet. Two players are doable but a bit cramped.

Screen is what you would expect from an LCD. It looks fine at a glance, would benefit from a filter with some scan lines. For the price, I'm letting it slide.

They wouldn't say what type of emulation Games ran fine though from my quick sessions.

To select a game while in another, press and hold start for 5 secs and press jab (a).

As mentioned, they will only sell the riser and not the chairs since retailers didn't buy the chairs. If you need a chair, they are not hard to find.

Volume seemed okay even in the crowded EVO exhibit area. There are three levels.

One of the cabinets had a busted right player stick which to be fair had a huge dude shaking that thing like his life depended on it. All the others were okay with normal play and didn't move while playing. Still, wondering how the stick is mounted and if that's a concern because of that one broken one.

Asteroids was like I remember. Will get more time later, and answer any questions you may have.
Exactly what I came looking for, thanks for posting.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Great that they are listening to feedback, but sucks they won't be able to make the improvements to the first round of shipments it's literally out in what 60 days?

I spent a bit more time on the SF2 cab and I can say the size definitely hinders the enjoyment. A lot of times if you were 1P you would brush up against 2P's joystick hand which was bothersome. For a 1 player cab, these are great size, but 2 player is pushing it.

Also the ball top can become loose since it's just a screw on. So during game play when doing motions, I could feel the ball top come loose and I'd have to retighten it myself. I'm still intrigued by these and will keep and eye out when people dissect these as they are the cheapest way to get into a small cab that's ready to go.

iyox

Oct 25, 2017
I was pretty hyped for these and then I stumbled upon a nice SF2 cab locally. I have been collecting arcade boards for a few years but only playing them through a super gun I built. Playing them in a real cabinet has been a pretty amazing upgrade from the supergun setup.

FwcTzFrm.png

8m0dNV8m.jpg

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
These sound like these are going to be very iffy.

To me, there's huge red flags that the folks creating these. Stuff like not understanding what CRT filters are, and that the trackball isn't really working well. And the Defender controls look like complete garbage.

Like, what kind of folks are behind this that they don't know basic stuff?

And a 3-player cab with 2-player Gauntlet? Come on.

I'm just hoping these prove to be very moddable.

woodypop

Oct 27, 2017
The controls layout for Defender looks terrible.

Yup, I was leery about this from the get-go. At least there's a Reverse button, instead of just pushing the opposite direction on the joystick (which is what I initially assumed).

EDIT: Even worse is the Thrust button positioning--ugh. And it bugs me in that photo that they refer to the Hyperspace button as "Warp."
/rant

Last edited:

woodypop

Oct 27, 2017
I was pretty hyped for these and then I stumbled upon a nice SF2 cab locally. I have been collecting arcade boards for a few years but only playing them through a super gun I built. Playing them in a real cabinet has been a pretty amazing upgrade from the supergun setup.

8m0dNV8m.jpg
How did you mount the board hookup below/behind the control panel? (Or did it come that way?)

Syncro

Oct 27, 2017
So Argos here in the UK have now listed a couple of cabinets for sale at £450 each. Both cabinets are different to what is being sold in the US. £450 does include 20% VAT but it's still quite a mark up on the $299 in the US. I'm really not quite sure how they will do at that price point

The first cabinet has SF2, Ghosts N Goblins, Final Fight and Strider - http://www.argos.co.uk/product/8625872

The second cabinet interestingly is Space Invaders on its own - http://www.argos.co.uk/product/8625906

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I checked these out at Evo this weekend.

I had preordered the Asteroids and Centipede ones, mainly because I am interested in the trackball/spinner controllers. I did try the Rampage and Street Fighter II cabinets also, though.

The monitors look like cheap TN panels, with mediocre viewing angles. That said, they're not horrible screens and are pretty servicable if you're standing right in front of the cabinet.

The joysticks were pretty terrible, I had a lot of problems doing shoryuken-type motions, and at least one stick was already flaky and broken (of course, maybe they weren't built to true arcade durability standards and they are out on public display at Evo). They are their own custom sticks from what I can tell and they don't look like they mount the way that real arcade sticks mount (didn't see four screw holes near the opening for the stick in the control panel, so not sure how they are mounted into the cabinet).

The worst thing is that the trackball and spinner are nearly unusable. Real trackballs and spinners are analog controllers, for each axis they output two square waves as a signal with the phase of the waves indicating direction and the frequency of the waves as velocity. These controllers felt very digital, sort of like they had discrete steps like a rotary encoder. This makes makes many of the games unplayable IMHO. On the spinner you can actually feel the individual stops. For example, if you want to move quickly in a game like Major Havoc, you'd spin the spinner quickly, but because it seems like they are using an encoder if you move the spinner fast enough you can seem to wrap the spinner around and actually cause your character to move the WRONG way. If you spin the trackball quickly you get jittery, stuttery motion in every game I tried (Millipede, Crystal Castles, Missile Command).

I'm kinda crushed that these are IMHO not very good and I just cancelled my preorder :( I think that if you're into the joystick controlled games then you'll have a better time, but I already have a real cabinet so there's not much point for me personally.

One more point of trivia - Gauntlet in the Rampage cabinet is the 2P version of the game, because the original Gauntlet had one joystick for each of the four characters. With only three joysticks one character would become unplayable, so they are using the 2P version of the game that allows character selection at the beginning of the game, leaving the third joystick unused.

Thanks for the impressions...I'm not a competitive fighter but I own two Hori sticks and if these aren't even that good hard pass...I might just fulfill my dream and do a networked MAME cab with Fightcade instead.

iyox

Oct 25, 2017
How did you mount the board hookup below/behind the control panel? (Or did it come that way?)

It came like that. The assembly is pretty simple though. It's a couple hinges on the bottom part of the panel and then two clasps on the top. Those latch to a metal bar on the control panel. The clasps are reached through the coin door. It's pretty nice for easy access to swap out boards.

woodypop

Oct 27, 2017
It came like that. The assembly is pretty simple though. It's a couple hinges on the bottom part of the panel and then two clasps on the top. Those latch to a metal bar on the control panel. The clasps are reached through the coin door. It's pretty nice for easy access to swap out boards.
But where does the PCB (board) rest? Is there a tray or drawer? In the cabinets I have, there's just a cavern of empty space beyond the area below/behind the control panel. I have to mount my boards along the inside wall of the cabinet, that has to be accessed by opening either the back door, or the front panel/coin door. It would be awesome to be able to swap out games simply by opening the control panel instead!

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wish these things had a coin slot. It's not the full arcade cabinet experience without that.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hopeful someone gets their hands on one of these soon and does a tear-down. I'm really curious to see how the internals are set up.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Thanks for the impressions...I'm not a competitive fighter but I own two Hori sticks and if these aren't even that good hard pass...I might just fulfill my dream and do a networked MAME cab with Fightcade instead.

I had no issues performing DP motions and Supers with the sticks, but I CAN attest to one of them being broken at EVO. To be fair, all the others were fine all weekend. I spent a lot of time at their booth each day taking to them and trying the SF2 machines.

If you have Hori sticks, they will feel very similar to you since they are pretty loose, like the Hayabusa sticks. Buttons to me are okay not great, but I don't like concave buttons even if they are accurate looking (almost) to the US cabinet.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had no issues performing DP motions and Supers with the sticks, but I CAN attest to one of them being broken at EVO. To be fair, all the others were fine all weekend. I spent a lot of time at their booth each day taking to them and trying the SF2 machines.

If you have Hori sticks, they will feel very similar to you since they are pretty loose, like the Hayabusa sticks. Buttons to me are okay not great, but I don't like concave buttons even if they are accurate looking (almost) to the US cabinet.

I upgraded mine with Sanwa parts . I mean if its super easy to upgrade I might do the same thing with one of these assuming its as plug and play as Hori and Mad Catz sticks.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
The Arcade1up website is running a poll to see what other cabinets people are interested in seeing next. I wonder how many of those they would be able to deliver on without dealing with serious licensing issues.

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
So Argos here in the UK have now listed a couple of cabinets for sale at £450 each. Both cabinets are different to what is being sold in the US. £450 does include 20% VAT but it's still quite a mark up on the $299 in the US. I'm really not quite sure how they will do at that price point

The first cabinet has SF2, Ghosts N Goblins, Final Fight and Strider - http://www.argos.co.uk/product/8625872

The second cabinet interestingly is Space Invaders on its own - http://www.argos.co.uk/product/8625906

How am I not surprised about the UK versions being a complete rip-off and lacking in all the SF games.

This needs a price cut asap, I wont touch unless it's under £150.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Sound iffy, and just big enough to sort of make them impractical, at least for me. I saw these Small Change arcade units as California Extreme this year, which were smaller (more table/desk top sized) really cool, and apparently use real arcade boards, but obviously aren't aiming to be as readily available as these things.

Want to hopefully get a chance to check out these Arcade1UP units in person. There would still be something cool about having an SF2 cab at home.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
The concern seems to be is how are they mounted. There weren't any mounting bolts visible in the normal place that you'd see them on the cabinet or a console stick.

Are taking about mounting bolts for the stick?
Aside from knowing where they should be, how do you see the mounting bolts on any console sticks? They aren't visible on the surface. Arcade machines yeah, but console sticks?

Also the ball top can become loose since it's just a screw on. So during game play when doing motions, I could feel the ball top come loose and I'd have to retighten it myself. I'm still intrigued by these and will keep and eye out when people dissect these as they are the cheapest way to get into a small cab that's ready to go.

It's supposed to be a screw on top. If it's not tightened though, it can come off.

Mdsfx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are taking about mounting bolts for the stick?
Aside from knowing where they should be, how do you see the mounting bolts on any console sticks? They aren't visible on the surface. Arcade machines yeah, but console sticks?

Arcade sticks usually have a metal panel on top which often come with mounting brackets for most sanwa and seimitsu parts. These panels are wood, of who knows what thickness, and are set up for who knows what kind of joysticks. Depending on thickness, joystick height could also be an issue.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Arcade sticks usually have a metal panel on top which often come with mounting brackets for most sanwa and seimitsu parts. These panels are wood, of who knows what thickness, and are set up for who knows what kind of joysticks. Depending on thickness, joystick height could also be an issue.

That's not what I am questioning. I know how sticks are mounted, I swap and mod them all the time.

I'm saying you can't see them on an arcade console stick unless you open them up. It was said there weren't any "mounting bolts"...I don't see how you could "see"anything under the panel. We don't know if there are plates that the sticks are mounted to.

Mdsfx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's not what I am questioning. I know how sticks are mounted, I swap and mod them all the time.

I'm saying you can't see them on an arcade console stick unless you open them up. It was said there weren't any "mounting bolts"...I don't see how you could "see"anything under the panel. We don't know if there are plates that the sticks are mounted to.
Ah, got it. Yeah we really have nothing at this point.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Ah, got it. Yeah we really have nothing at this point.

The shaft didn't seem any longer than a standard JLF when I pulled the dust cover. It definitely wasn't one though. Kinda looked like a clone. Should have snapped a pic.

Edit: It was the broken one, so you could see the gate etc. I should add, the sticks were clicky but not overly so. Probably just a jlf clone with clone switches.

Here's a quick clip I took of the panel.

Last edited: