• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
i think the only gripe I have with this ep is how the escalation occurred but it probably speaks to Ishido's hastiness. 'capture mariko at all costs' somehow getting to 'blowing up the doors to a storehouse' feels pretty thin and feels like there could have been a few steps inbetween.

The scene with blackthorne drawing a line in a sand was a bit on the nose but a super nice touch I think. They dwelled on it for the right amount of time and the way blackthorne brings it with him in following scenes is perfect.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Probably something akin to that :
DmVPPufU0AIu8mM.jpg

But in a more refined and subdued way. :p

I got you covered.

keikaku.jpg

harleyvwarren

Oct 31, 2022
Illinois
On that Buntaro note, sort of...

Mariko's interaction with their son made me sad. Kid grew up fast, and they (Catholic Regent) poisoned him against her. I hadn't thought we'd ever see the kid again.

EroticSushi

Oct 25, 2017
Does we know how much time has passed since episode 1?

Also can someone clear up why Mariko
dying would matter to everyone in Osaka? Why does Ishido care if she killed herself?

Last edited:

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't read the book, but I thought the "leafless branch" was a clear dig at Lady Ochiba or am I reading that wrong?

Damn. What a doozy. Give her all the awards.

It took me this long, but I finally realized just now much Toranaga

311340_20200503085314_1.jpg

Dude is the villain of this show. Like holy crap.

I been saying this though.

Last edited:

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
It (of course) prevents her and the ladies from leaving while still giving Ishido baaaarely enough plausible deniability to not be accused of killing her, while also giving him yet another excuse to keep everyone captive under the guise of security and safety. And even if you don't buy into his BS, all that means is you're left thinking that if he can kill Mariko and the others in the dead of night, he could do it to you too...

From his perspective, he's truly in a lose lose situation before the assassination attempt anyhow, so there's a bit of desperation on his part where I can see how he thought this was a good idea
Im sure Ishido about to be like. "It's such a shame what happened to Mariko right after I granted her permit. Anyway does anyone want to take back their permit request before I grant them?"
grin-evil.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Am I off base on this? RE: Ochiba/Toranaga

That her son isn't actually the son of the Taiko and is actually Toranagas son?

Pure speculation

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
She's not surviving, right? There is no way.

But this episode was amazing. Cinematography, performances, writing. All incredible.

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
If yall like this, I recommend watching Three Kingdoms after the series finale. Great series, Shogun reminds me a lot of it with all the political intrigue and stuff.
It's basically Shogun but based on Chinese history and how China was unified. Has great characters, writing, and battles. Almost 100 episodes.
Entire series is available on youtube.

View: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL33A390995E9A7F00&si=r-VWOQVaUkOkvX06

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Blackthorne stepping up to be the 2nd was strangely romantic as hell

and the touch afterwards whew lord

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I love the contrast between him and Buntaro. He absolutely doesn't want her to die, but can still find it within him to respect her decision and aid her despite immensely struggling with the cultural differences between them.

Im sure Ishido about to be like. "It's such a shame what happened to Mariko right after I granted her permit. Anyway does anyone want to take back their permit request before I grant them?"

Lmao exactly

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
Am I off base on this? RE: Ochiba/Toranaga

That her son isn't actually the son of the Taiko and is actually Toranagas son?

Pure speculation
Idk about it being Toranaga but I suspect she slept with someone else to get pregnant. Least that's what I gathered from her "I made fate look at me and clawed her eyes out" speech she gave to Ishido.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I love the contrast between him and Buntaro. He absolutely doesn't want her to die, but can still find it within him to respect her decision and aid her despite immensely struggling with the cultural differences between them.
Yes, it's a great contrast to the earlier tea house scene.

I was thinking that scene of the line in the sand was depicting the one similarity they seemed to have which was the cross (vertical line among a bunch of horizontal ones). Despite him going in a 'different direction' than everyone else there is still that commonality of God, and with that he would spare her the damnation if he could.

There were a lot of comparisons to Game of Thrones in reviews of this series. These recent episodes reminded me of a big reason why the politicking on GOT was so terrible as the show went on: basically nobody on that show pretended to care about anything, and supposed social taboos or diplomatic niceties were basically only there to be violated for the purpose of a gag, so every scene is just whoever has the most raw power rubbing it in the faces of everyone else in the scene. The whole Mariko plot in this episode would have been impossible because the second she started talking back to Ishido he would just openly kill her and everybody would be totally cool with it.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
Oh my god what an episode.

Big fan of the sound of those blunderbuss(?) guns John was using in the battle scene. Goddamn those pack a wallop.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
This episode was amazing. Anjin stepping up to be the second was heartbreaking yet beautiful. But the highlight of the episode for me was Mariko attempting to leave Osaka. That entire scene was gripping and intense. Anna Sawai absolutely kills it in this show.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
It's been decades since I read the book, so it's all new to me once more... and I'm glad cause this show is brilliant and every episode had me waiting for the next.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
There were a lot of comparisons to Game of Thrones in reviews of this series. These recent episodes reminded me of a big reason why the politicking on GOT was so terrible as the show went on: basically nobody on that show pretended to care about anything, and supposed social taboos or diplomatic niceties were basically only there to be violated for the purpose of a gag, so every scene is just whoever has the most raw power rubbing it in the faces of everyone else in the scene. The whole Mariko plot in this episode would have been impossible because the second she started talking back to Ishido he would just openly kill her and everybody would be totally cool with it.

Among all the hilarious stupidity of the later seasons, I love laughing at Brienne in the last season when everyone laughs at her for being a virgin. The writers kinda forgot it was a medieval fantasy show. She is the MAIDEN of Tarth. She's supposed to be a virgin. If she were not and unmarried she'd be deemed a harlot and further lambasted and shunned. No man would laugh at the fact that she is a virgin.

But the writers forgot and wrote if all the characters were modern characters.

grmltr

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious to know how Toranaga will deal with his brother's army... Isn't he still essentially captive at this point?

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
Another amazing episode.

Anybody else have issues with Disney Plus and their shitty subs not showing occasionally? Is it because I'm using the built in app on my LG CX? Bloody annoying.

Yup same for me. Rewinding (10 sec back) allowed the subs to come back up properly.

What a series this has been.

It happens to me too and I am on Samsung (and D+ app is pretty shit overall on it).

I had the same on the LG app on my B8. Got annoyed enough to try it on my Google TV 4K which I barely use, and the subtitles have been flawless. The stream is more stable too, seems to stick to the highest quality much more. If you have any similar device available if recommend trying it over the built in TV apps.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Among all the hilarious stupidity of the later seasons, I love laughing at Brienne in the last season when everyone laughs at her for being a virgin. The writers kinda forgot it was a medieval fantasy show. She is the MAIDEN of Tarth. She's supposed to be a virgin. If she were not and unmarried she'd be deemed a harlot and further lambasted and shunned. No man would laugh at the fact that she is a virgin.

But the writers forgot and wrote if all the characters were modern characters.

Good thing she got to bang the hottest knight in all the realm, before he promptly left to go die with the woman he hated the most for no reason, throwing his entire character arc into the dumpster.

They really didn't think much when writing those last few seasons did they?

RandomError

Oct 27, 2017
Will they show Sekigahara? Feels like there won't be enough time for all that..

It happens "off-screen" between the final chapter and epilogue of the novel, so I doubt it will be depicted directly - just the aftermath. I'd love to be wrong though!

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
Good thing she got to bang the hottest knight in all the realm, before he promptly left to go die with the woman he hated the most for no reason, throwing his entire character arc into the dumpster.

They really didn't think much when writing those last few seasons did they?
Do we have to be reminded of that atrocity? It still pisses me off to this day, as Jamie was my favourite character. 8 seasons of character redemption arc, of him realizing what a piece of shit and toxic trash Cercei was, only for him to do an 180 on the final episodes and end right when he started. That's why I don't recommend to anyone to see GoT, why waste 80 hours of your life when nothing matters?

Thalanil

Aug 24, 2023
From someone that is interested to watch it but haven't jumped in yet how historically accurate/plausible is the show? I know from looking around that Yoshii Toranaga is inspired by Tokugawa Ieyasu so despite the characters having different names/some being created for the show does it follows somewhat the historical events of the Tokugawa rise to power or is the story of the show/book more of his own thing?

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Torinaga is really a cold bastard

I guess Mariko kind of wanted it this way, but still

I'm curious to know how Toranaga will deal with his brother's army... Isn't he still essentially captive at this point?

I think the crux of his plan is that half the lords/daimyo in Japan are gonna be pissed and revolt against Ishido now, Torinaga put him in a no win situation to basically lose the entire country's support

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
From someone that is interested to watch it but haven't jumped in yet how historically accurate/plausible is the show? I know from looking around that Yoshii Toranaga is inspired by Tokugawa Ieyasu so despite the characters having different names/some being created for the show does it follows somewhat the historical events of the Tokugawa rise to power or is the story of the show/book more of his own thing?

It's loosely based on real events. So there are plenty of original plotpoints but the bigger brushstrokes in the conflict are based on historical events.

AdamE

3D Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
It happens "off-screen" between the final chapter and epilogue of the novel, so I doubt it will be depicted directly - just the aftermath. I'd love to be wrong though!

Ahhh. In their recent BTS vid on the VFX there are some shots of them preparing to battle with Toranaga and Ishido in battle armour. I don't need a whole ass ep dedicated to it, but i'm hoping we get something from it.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021

And as I just heard on a podcast, in the book it is Yabushige who steps in as second once Kiyama doesn't show up to do it.

Holy shit is the adaptive choice of it being Blackthorne so much better. Yabu doing it would have meant nothing to us.